Fordham Law c/o 2020 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Re: Fordham Law c/o 2020

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:33 am

bitter_melon wrote:^

To Piggy back onto that, you can also get a monthly metro north pass if you plan on living in Westchester or CT, which can range from 120-300 per month (you're probably not going to be commuting from Poughkeepsie so it would be on the lower end). Even with all of that, I'm just not seeing any scenario in which driving into the city every day is either easier or cheaper than commuting.

If you're good with time and enjoy long walks, you can get into Penn Station/Grand Central and just walk to Lincoln Center, it would save you the $115/month, but don't do this unless you really really like walking.
Thanks, completely overlooked Westchester or CT!

shotgunheist

Bronze

Post by shotgunheist » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:34 am

So who's going to next weekend's admitted day

Shakawkaw

Gold

Post by Shakawkaw » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:34 am

shotgunheist wrote:So who's going to next weekend's admitted day
It's on a Friday right? Meeeee.

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Bronze

Post by BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:55 am

Just got an acceptance e-mail. I am an international with LSAT of 167 and Superior evaluation. Would love to join Fordham in case of a good schol! Might even visit the school next week. Urgent need of schol info. When do I get it?

fazzvm56

Bronze

Post by fazzvm56 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:57 am

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
fazzvm56 wrote:
bitter_melon wrote:
ZVBXRPL wrote:
Nero21 wrote:Does anybody know if Fordham will send packets/envelops to our homes if we were accepted? Also I've been apartment searching, does anybody know the best way too find reasonable apartments in or near Fordham? I don't mind commuting but Zillow seems to not be the best option. Any New Yorkers who can give any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Ive gotten acceptance packet and another accepted students guide mailed.

On an unrelated topic, what's the parking situation like?
You'd have to be out of your mind to try to regularly commute into NYC by car. Cheaper to just take the metro north.
Depending on how much you can get monthly parking for in the city, this isn't necessarily true. Depending on the distance from your house to the school, taking the train could cost you $20 train, at least $10 parking at train station, subway fare, etc. Probably be quicker and more convenient to commute by car and likely cheaper too.
...no...taking the train is significantly cheaper/convenient hands down. If you're planning on showing up to class more than 2 times per week, then you should most definitely get an unlimited metrocard ~$115/month. This will also let you go out on weekends, etc. You can also get an unlimited LIRR (Long Island Rail Road) if you plan on living in Queens or even deeper into Long Island (although I would advise against this). Parking is usually free at the station. A bunch of people live in Manhattan (more affordable options just uptown near Columbia), Brookly, or Astoria (Queens - one or two subway stops from Manhattan). The subway system in NYC is actually surprisingly efficient (especially compared to 3rd world DC Metro). My friend commutes to Manhattan from Astoria, Queens and usually has a 30 min commute.

Tolls to Manhattan is extremely expensive, ranging from $8.50 - $17 ONE WAY. That's already more than your daily train/subway costs and that's not including the price for parking which is also ridiculous. Not sure about where Fordham is but prices for garages near NYU are like $25/day. Parking near Fordham is definitely more expensive. Don't even think about doing roadside parking because you won't ever get one.

Edit: Completely forgot about gas. But yeah, you get the point.
I'm talking about commuting from mid-Northern Westchester (which I'm not going to do, I'm moving to Manhattan). But in my experience, the drive to LC is pretty quick assuming you're not going during peak rush hour and I know there's discounts for parking for Fordham. I don't really consider gas a big factor but that's just me. My train tickets are $21 x 5 days a week RT, I have never seen free parking at any of the train stations in Westchester and from what I hear it can go anywhere from $100-$200 a month, and then subway fare which is pretty insignificant, and the time it takes to get from at least where I live down to GCT (just short of an hour), over to the West Side, and then back up to 62nd street - just doesn't seem feasible. But that's just my experience.

Taking the train would be just as expensive and far less convenient. Of course, this is all said as a New Yorker who would likely never commute from Westchester to Manhattan every day, I'm just saying it's not really out-of-your-mind worthy to consider driving instead of taking the train.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

snarfing

New

Post by snarfing » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:59 am

Also just got in, 170 lsat, 3.5x gpa. Also wondering when scholarship info is released.

I am communting from lirr zone 7. would unlimited monthly be what I should get?

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:00 pm

snarfing wrote:Also just got in, 170 lsat, 3.5x gpa. Also wondering when scholarship info is released.

Nobody goes by zones, it might be better to just state approximate stations.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:04 pm

fazzvm56 wrote:
fazzvm56 wrote:
bitter_melon wrote:
ZVBXRPL wrote:
Nero21 wrote:Does anybody know if Fordham will send packets/envelops to our homes if we were accepted? Also I've been apartment searching, does anybody know the best way too find reasonable apartments in or near Fordham? I don't mind commuting but Zillow seems to not be the best option. Any New Yorkers who can give any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

You'd have to be out of your mind to try to regularly commute into NYC by car. Cheaper to just take the metro north.
Depending on how much you can get monthly parking for in the city, this isn't necessarily true. Depending on the distance from your house to the school, taking the train could cost you $20 train, at least $10 parking at train station, subway fare, etc. Probably be quicker and more convenient to commute by car and likely cheaper too.
...no...taking the train is significantly cheaper/convenient hands down. If you're planning on showing up to class more than 2 times per week, then you should most definitely get an unlimited metrocard ~$115/month. This will also let you go out on weekends, etc. You can also get an unlimited LIRR (Long Island Rail Road) if you plan on living in Queens or even deeper into Long Island (although I would advise against this). Parking is usually free at the station. A bunch of people live in Manhattan (more affordable options just uptown near Columbia), Brookly, or Astoria (Queens - one or two subway stops from Manhattan). The subway system in NYC is actually surprisingly efficient (especially compared to 3rd world DC Metro). My friend commutes to Manhattan from Astoria, Queens and usually has a 30 min commute.

Tolls to Manhattan is extremely expensive, ranging from $8.50 - $17 ONE WAY. That's already more than your daily train/subway costs and that's not including the price for parking which is also ridiculous. Not sure about where Fordham is but prices for garages near NYU are like $25/day. Parking near Fordham is definitely more expensive. Don't even think about doing roadside parking because you won't ever get one.

I'm talking about commuting from mid-Northern Westchester (which I'm not going to do, I'm moving to Manhattan). But in my experience, the drive to LC is pretty quick assuming you're not going during peak rush hour and I know there's discounts for parking for Fordham. I don't really consider gas a big factor but that's just me. My train tickets are $21 x 5 days a week RT, I have never seen free parking at any of the train stations in Westchester and from what I hear it can go anywhere from $100-$200 a month, and then subway fare which is pretty insignificant, and the time it takes to get from at least where I live down to GCT (just short of an hour), over to the West Side, and then back up to 62nd street - just doesn't seem feasible. But that's just my experience.

Taking the train would be just as expensive and far less convenient. Of course, this is all said as a New Yorker who would likely never commute from Westchester to Manhattan every day, I'm just saying it's not really out-of-your-mind worthy to consider driving instead of taking the train.
True, I'm really not too familiar with Westchester at all but I'm just going to assume that most Fordham students don't commute from there haha.

Also, if your train tickets are priced like that, it might be worth getting an unlimited pass.

It's 5 stops from Grand Central to LC...sure, it's midly inconvenient that you have to transfer trains but welcome to NY, everyone does it.

snarfing

New

Post by snarfing » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:07 pm

snarfing wrote:Also just got in, 170 lsat, 3.5x gpa. Also wondering when scholarship info is released.

I'd rather not give my personal info, but zones are how the tickets are priced, wouldnt that be relevant? Its one of the first 5 stations if that helps

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fazzvm56

Bronze

Post by fazzvm56 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:15 pm

snarfing wrote:

I'd rather not give my personal info, but zones are how the tickets are priced, wouldnt that be relevant? Its one of the first 5 stations if that helps
Well how much is a daily RT train ticket? All you need to do is compare the prices and see which is a better deal.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:15 pm

snarfing wrote:

Gotcha, I meant like you can give the name of different station that's in the same zone haha

I just checked the Lirr zones and you're coming in from Nassau County?! Yes. Unlimited would be worth it.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:16 pm

fazzvm56 wrote:
snarfing wrote:

Well how much is a daily RT train ticket? All you need to do is compare the prices and see which is a better deal.
+1

bitter_melon

Bronze

Post by bitter_melon » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:28 pm

Status checker finally moved to 3/28, I think but am not sure that this is the second movement, this means I should get something in the next couple of days?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

aryi3025

Bronze

Post by aryi3025 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:09 pm

finally had my third date change, how long did it take for your decision after your final change?

chalala

New

Post by chalala » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:12 pm

fazzvm56 wrote:
bitter_melon wrote:
ZVBXRPL wrote:

I've lived in NYC for eight years. I currently live in a 3br in Brooklyn where the rent for the entire apt is under $2k/month. Affordable housing exists. It's not generally going to be found near midtown (where Fordham law is), and it's probably going to require you to ride the subway for 30-45+ minutes each way. In the scheme of things, in NYC, this is pretty normal. Everyone I know (employed people but student-type price point), myself included, has found their apartments and/or roommates exclusively through craigslist. Honestly, if you're aggressive about it, you could come to the city for a weekend the month before you'd like to move, bring all your income/guarantor/credit info with you, reply to every craigslist post that looks promising (protip: by owner/no fee, photos included), visit as many as you can, and expect to sign a lease before you leave.

I'm sure there are more formal/expensive ways to do this too, like hiring a broker to help you find a place, but I'm cheap and kind of a dingo so personally this is all I can speak to.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:17 pm

chalala wrote:
fazzvm56 wrote:
bitter_melon wrote:
ZVBXRPL wrote:

I've lived in NYC for eight years. I currently live in a 3br in Brooklyn where the rent for the entire apt is under $2k/month. Affordable housing exists. It's not generally going to be found near midtown (where Fordham law is), and it's probably going to require you to ride the subway for 30-45+ minutes each way. In the scheme of things, in NYC, this is pretty normal. Everyone I know (employed people but student-type price point), myself included, has found their apartments and/or roommates exclusively through craigslist. Honestly, if you're aggressive about it, you could come to the city for a weekend the month before you'd like to move, bring all your income/guarantor/credit info with you, reply to every craigslist post that looks promising (protip: by owner/no fee, photos included), visit as many as you can, and expect to sign a lease before you leave.

I'm sure there are more formal/expensive ways to do this too, like hiring a broker to help you find a place, but I'm cheap and kind of a dingo so personally this is all I can speak to.

Fordham is on the Upper West Side! lmao

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:25 pm

lillawyer2 wrote:
chalala wrote:
fazzvm56 wrote:
bitter_melon wrote:
ZVBXRPL wrote:

If we are gonna be really technical it's Columbus Circle/Lincoln Square. I can see why people would identify it as Midtown though. It's barely West of Central Park (generally used as the dividing mark between east and west) and it's in the low 60's which, some people/maps consider the UWS and others don't. Personally, I've always said Columbus Circle for where the school is but I think it's acceptable to think of it as Midtown West or the Upper West Side. No reason to argue about it though.

Either way, the farther north you go or the farther into the outer boroughs you go, the cheaper the housing will be.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

snarfing

New

Post by snarfing » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:36 pm

aryi3025 wrote:finally had my third date change, how long did it take for your decision after your final change?
Had a 3rd date change 3/16 just accepted today

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:00 pm

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
chalala wrote:
fazzvm56 wrote:
bitter_melon wrote:
ZVBXRPL wrote: Does anybody know if Fordham will send packets/envelops to our homes if we were accepted? Also I've been apartment searching, does anybody know the best way too find reasonable apartments in or near Fordham? I don't mind commuting but Zillow seems to not be the best option. Any New Yorkers who can give any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

If we are gonna be really technical it's Columbus Circle/Lincoln Square. I can see why people would identify it as Midtown though. It's barely West of Central Park (generally used as the dividing mark between east and west) and it's in the low 60's which, some people/maps consider the UWS and others don't. Personally, I've always said Columbus Circle for where the school is but I think it's acceptable to think of it as Midtown West or the Upper West Side. No reason to argue about it though.

Either way, the farther north you go or the farther into the outer boroughs you go, the cheaper the housing will be.

We aren't being technical. We are discussing areas. It is in the UWS. The neighborhood is Lincoln Center. UWS begins West of 59th street. I live on the UES and that also begins after 59th. I was just letting you know-not arguing.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:01 pm

I just received my Admitted Students Guide. It had a lot of useful information.

snarfing

New

Post by snarfing » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:40 pm

Anyone have an admitted students website link that works? the one they sent just puts me in a redirect loop.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Post by ZVBXRPL » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:02 pm

snarfing wrote:Anyone have an admitted students website link that works? the one they sent just puts me in a redirect loop.
Ill pm you, since they may be able to track me based on the url. hehe kgb stuff.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:04 am

lillawyer2 wrote: We aren't being technical. We are discussing areas. It is in the UWS. The neighborhood is Lincoln Center. UWS begins West of 59th street. I live on the UES and that also begins after 59th. I was just letting you know-not arguing.
#1. Relax lol
#2. People associate Fordham with Columbus Circle as well, and that's considered Midtown. You're right but Chalala isn't wrong either. No need to correct someone when they're not wrong haha

arsenewenger

New

Post by arsenewenger » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:57 am

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) wrote:Just got an acceptance e-mail. I am an international with LSAT of 167 and Superior evaluation. Would love to join Fordham in case of a good schol! Might even visit the school next week. Urgent need of schol info. When do I get it?
My fellow international applicant! I received the scholarship info the day after receiving an acceptance e-mail.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:39 am

lillawyer2 wrote: We aren't being technical. We are discussing areas. It is in the UWS. The neighborhood is Lincoln Center. UWS begins West of 59th street. I live on the UES and that also begins after 59th. I was just letting you know-not arguing.
#1. Relax lol
#2. People associate Fordham with Columbus Circle as well, and that's considered Midtown. You're right but Chalala isn't wrong either. No need to correct someone when they're not wrong haha
There is no need to tell me to relax. Its not serious. I don't know why you or chala think I am being serious or arguing. Is it because my sentences aren't littered with lols? Here are some :D :) :wink: I hope this has made you more comfortable and easied the non-exsistant tension. I just pointed out that Fordham is on the upper west side.

I live in the area and never heard it referred to as Midtown or Columbus Circle, but people do and say what they will, right? :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”