University of Minnesota c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CatherineZetaScarn1

New

Re: University of Minnesota c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by CatherineZetaScarn1 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:41 pm

pyramidenergy888 wrote:In via call today but no email yet.. will scholarship info come in the email or do I have to wait for the mail?
In the mail about a week later.

CatherineZetaScarn1

New

Post by CatherineZetaScarn1 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:41 pm

airwrecka wrote:
CatherineZetaScarn1 wrote:Got my packet in the mail and got 78K. This is really astonishing to me with my numbers. I'm wondering if it isn't because I'm hispanic. Any native Minnesotans want to shed some light for me? How is the diversity up there?
There is definitely a Hispanic community in the Twin Cities. Not anything crazy large (I mean, we are very far north) but it's not insubstantial either!

Congrats, either way!
Thanks! Either way, I'm excited to see what life is like up north!

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:03 pm

which schools qualify as 'peer institutions'?

monotonemr

New

Post by monotonemr » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:42 pm

Stylnator wrote:which schools qualify as 'peer institutions'?
Probably BU, Emory, Iowa, etc.

clearlyabear

New

Post by clearlyabear » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:02 pm

Is anyone going to ASW tomorrow?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BabyDoc2JD

New

Post by BabyDoc2JD » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:04 pm

clearlyabear wrote:Is anyone going to ASW tomorrow?
I will be there. Starting off my national tour...heheh

Earlskies

Bronze

Post by Earlskies » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:03 am

Does anybody know what all the Robina Public Interest Scholar program includes? I applied, but I'm still not entirely sure what benefits it includes.

Greenteachurro

Silver

Post by Greenteachurro » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:31 am

Stylnator wrote:which schools qualify as 'peer institutions'?
Emory is probably who they compete most with for similar students. That and WUSTL. Iowa not so much since it's already so cheap.

Greenteachurro

Silver

Post by Greenteachurro » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:35 am

Last edited by Greenteachurro on Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CatherineZetaScarn1

New

Post by CatherineZetaScarn1 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:58 pm

Greenteachurro wrote:
Earlskies wrote:Does anybody know what all the Robina Public Interest Scholar program includes? I applied, but I'm still not entirely sure what benefits it includes.
Pretty sure that it includes a scholarship (no idea how much), specialized career counseling, and I think there's something in there for getting funding for unpaid summer positions in public interest... That's what I've gathered at least.
I talked with them at ASW and she told me it includes career counseling, funding and placement for summer PI positions, and LRAP if you make below 51,000 a year (but the salary might change). She didn't say anything about a scholarship but maybe there is (hopefully there is!).

anyperson

New

Post by anyperson » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:36 am

Hey, current 2L here! Willing to answer any questions you may have. I lurked TLS quite a bit when applying to/deciding on schools, so I guess I've finally gotten around to paying it back.

Some quick info about me: from out-of-state, planning to leave again after graduation to DC/NY (though Mpls is awesome), worked for a few years after UG, working in DC this summer along with a fair number of other students, fluctuate between being content with and extremely happy about my decision to attend.

JD_Kingfish

Bronze

Post by JD_Kingfish » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:10 am

anyperson wrote:Hey, current 2L here! Willing to answer any questions you may have. I lurked TLS quite a bit when applying to/deciding on schools, so I guess I've finally gotten around to paying it back.

Some quick info about me: from out-of-state, planning to leave again after graduation to DC/NY (though Mpls is awesome), worked for a few years after UG, working in DC this summer along with a fair number of other students, fluctuate between being content with and extremely happy about my decision to attend.
Thanks for taking questions! Would you be able to speak to student's ability to get their desired outcomes? Minn's BigLaw placement seems a little lackluster. Is this because a significant amount of students are interested in other areas of law or because it is just hard to go into a big law firm from MN? Thanks in advance for your help!

anyperson

New

Post by anyperson » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:38 am

JD_Kingfish wrote:
anyperson wrote:Hey, current 2L here! Willing to answer any questions you may have. I lurked TLS quite a bit when applying to/deciding on schools, so I guess I've finally gotten around to paying it back.

Thanks for taking questions! Would you be able to speak to student's ability to get their desired outcomes? Minn's BigLaw placement seems a little lackluster. Is this because a significant amount of students are interested in other areas of law or because it is just hard to go into a big law firm from MN? Thanks in advance for your help!
Based on the people I know, I think it's a bit of both, and probably more of the former. A good chuck of students want to stay in Minneapolis and apply nearly exclusively to the big firms here (e.g. Faegre, Dorsey, Robins). I actually had some classmates who had interviews & offers at BigLaw firms in major markets, but who were very conflicted about taking them because they wanted to be near family elsewhere post-grad. In addition to that self-selection (which you can avoid if you chose to), I think there is a cultural barrier when it comes to interviews. Sometimes NY/etc. "fast-paced" attorneys don't vibe with super-chill-but-otherwise-qualified Midwesterners. However, that is not a product of the law school, but merely a reflection of some of the students it attracts. This is based on only a few accounts, but that phenomenon actually seems to be driven by students thinking a given firm won't be a good fit, and then coming off as a disinterested candidate. I've had older attorneys (not in MN) tell me that it is actually refreshing to see job applicants from different markets. So, will you have to deal with the question of "why do you want to come to City X?" Unless you've lived in another region, probably. Is it a little annoying that you have to deal with that question when students otherwise-fresh to a market, but at least in school there, don't have to? Yes. If you actually have a good answer, will that be enough to clear the hurdle? I think so. As someone who has lived and worked in a few different areas of the US, was I ever asked that question? No.

All of that being said, many students do have a strong public interest/human rights focus here. I actually didn't apply to a single firm job for my 1L or 2L summer and didn't do OCI (so if I've overlooked some BigLaw-related aspect of your question, please call me out). I plan to go into nonprofit/gov't/policy work, and I've found strong faculty support of that.

Overall, if you're set on BigLaw or working in a different market, you may have to be a bit more proactive in finding those opportunities. This means not just when it comes time to apply, but also beforehand in seeing what relationships professors and career center staff have (though you could be fine without doing that, too). To get back to the root of your question: I think if the percentage of UMN students who applied to BigLaw/other markets increased, the placement numbers would increase almost proportionately.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lialaw

New

Post by Lialaw » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:47 pm

Anyone hear anything about the waitlist?

n1996

New

Post by n1996 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:28 pm

Lialaw wrote:Anyone hear anything about the waitlist?
I haven't heard anything so far! Wondering if anyone else has heard anything?

n1996

New

Post by n1996 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:50 pm

Any more waitlist movement? Assuming there probably isn't at this point but just wondering

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”