UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
onecallthats all

Bronze

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Post by onecallthats all » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:29 pm

idontknowyou wrote:Now that I think about it, I haven't really started telling anyone either. Perhaps I'm hoping the ASD will make me fall in love with UNC and I'll get super excited to go there..! I know the facilities at UNC are complete trash, but can someone elaborate about student life/faculty/culture, where people go to eat, likely chance at biglaw? Probably questions for current students or alums, but perspectives who toured or know about this stuff from other students is definitely welcome!!
Does UNC Reimburse any travel costs? Or will they pay for any nights at a hotel? Please let me know!

onecallthats all

Bronze

Post by onecallthats all » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:30 pm

SeanORaff33 wrote:Trying to decide between visiting on 4/7 and 3/31. What day are you all going??
Does UNC Reimburse any travel costs? Or will they pay for any nights at a hotel? Please let me know!

idontknowyou

New

Post by idontknowyou » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:21 pm

onecallthats all wrote:
SeanORaff33 wrote:Trying to decide between visiting on 4/7 and 3/31. What day are you all going??
Not that I know of unless special circumstance, I believe. Also ASD already happened, so I think they're less likely to fork up money. But it doesn't hurt to ask!

mjm1315

New

Post by mjm1315 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:26 pm

I got an email that my financial aid package was ready, but it only had loans, no scholarship. Anyone have this problem?

onecallthats all

Bronze

Post by onecallthats all » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:07 am

Do UNC grads struggle competing against Duke Grads? Or are they competing for different markets? (Duke ==>NYC, UNC ==> Raleigh)

And what do people think about their slight drop in grads going to law firms 100+? 2015, they sent 22%, 2016, they sent 19%? Is that negligible?

Not trying to offend anybody or step on toes, I have deposited! Just curious to see if anybody else has these concerns?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SeanORaff33

Bronze

Post by SeanORaff33 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:25 am

onecallthats all wrote:Do UNC grads struggle competing against Duke Grads? Or are they competing for different markets? (Duke ==>NYC, UNC ==> Raleigh)

And what do people think about their slight drop in grads going to law firms 100+? 2015, they sent 22%, 2016, they sent 19%? Is that negligible?

Not trying to offend anybody or step on toes, I have deposited! Just curious to see if anybody else has these concerns?
I am not that concerned. UNC has been pretty consistent with in-state placements over time; its also important to remember that 3% of the 200 some polled in the employment survey is no more than 9 people. I would not let a difference of 9 or less people drastically affect my opinion too drastically, could have been self selection, could have been that Wake put about 5-8 people more than usual in BL/100+ firms and they just happened to cut into UNC's market share. Either way, with wake's +4% in BL/100+firms its safe to say that the primary markets are healthy, which is good news for everyone.

HangingAround

Bronze

Post by HangingAround » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:38 am

onecallthats all wrote:Do UNC grads struggle competing against Duke Grads? Or are they competing for different markets? (Duke ==>NYC, UNC ==> Raleigh)

I picked UNC over 114k* from Duke wanting to stay in NC if that's any indication. The slight bump Duke may give you for NC firms is more than mitigated, in my opinion, by how you will more likely be lower in your class at Duke. You can check out young associates at firms you are interested in to see their backgrounds. I'd say most NC firms interview at Wake Duke UNC and Virginia and various other places - what I have been told by people at those firms is that once a firm is interviewing at your school, your school is good enough and then you will be looked at compared to people at your school. Many partners at firms here went to UNC or Wake, they aren't going to discount themselves by discounting the schools they went to. Most people I talked to recommended going to UNC if you were sure about staying in NC, but Duke if unsure but knew you wanted to do biglaw. There is also a concern, unfair as it may be, that a Duke student is using NC firms as backup if they don't get biglaw in a bigger city. That can be mitigated with ties but when I was applying even native North Carolinians at Duke were having trouble getting over that presumption. I think Duke probably providesa bump for the satellite offices of national firms and Charlotte in general and less of a bump for NC firms, particularly those not in Charlotte. The NC-based firms in Charlotte I can't really say one way or another.

That being said some people at Duke stay in NC, particularly those who do well and have ties. For wanting to work at a bigger NC firm, you have to do well at UNC too. UNC in 2015 had 16 go to NY, probably mostly in biglaw and some NY firms come interview and had a million stay in NC (though definitely not a ton at these kinds of bigger NC firms). Duke had a million go to NY I'm sure, and its 2016 509 has 18 NC takers. So it's kind of inverse. Don't buy the argument that Duke self selects NY and could get NC easily - NC firms are just hard to get from wherever. I think UNC gives you the best shot but also more downside risk, Duke gives you the upside of biglaw in NY with a lot of debt (if you don't get a scholarship) if you don't get NC - that never seemed like much of an upside to me though.

As to the differential, 2014 was 18.9% i think, so just kind of bounces around in there. In 2016 4 people went to firms of unknown size, and if even a couple of those went to 100+ you'd be back above 20%. In 2015 only 1 was unknown size. With a relatively low tuition and huge public interest focus, a lot of people just aren't really interested in the big firms - though I don't know how much that plays into the numbers.

It's definitely something interesting to watch, though. Dean Brinkley has reinvigorated the opportunities geared towards firm work here - with new transactional classes, bringing in lawyers adjunct-taught classes, and the like. He even teaches a life cycle of the M&A deal course now that is really popular. He was a partner at Smith Anderson in Raleigh before coming over. He only started in the summer of 2015, so it will be interesting to watch the impact of his position on OCI because anyone graduating in 2016 did OCIs before he got the position. I imagine the impact of having someone who practiced at such a high level will be a very beneficial one.
Last edited by HangingAround on Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onecallthats all

Bronze

Post by onecallthats all » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:46 pm

HangingAround wrote:

I picked UNC over 118k from Duke wanting to stay in NC if that's any indication. The slight bump Duke may give you for NC firms is more than mitigated, in my opinion, by how you will more likely be lower in your class at Duke. You can check out young associates at firms you are interested in to see their backgrounds. I'd say most NC firms interview at Wake Duke UNC and Virginia and various other places - what I have been told by people at those firms is that once a firm is interviewing at your school, your school is good enough and then you will be looked at compared to people at your school. Many partners at firms here went to UNC or Wake, they aren't going to discount themselves by discounting the schools they went to. Most people I talked to recommended going to UNC if you were sure about staying in NC, but Duke if unsure but knew you wanted to do biglaw. There is also a concern, unfair as it may be, that a Duke student is using NC firms as backup if they don't get biglaw in a bigger city. That can be mitigated with ties but when I was applying even native North Carolinians at Duke were having trouble getting over that presumption. I think Duke probably providesa bump for the satellite offices of national firms and Charlotte in general and less of a bump for NC firms, particularly those not in Charlotte. The NC-based firms in Charlotte I can't really say one way or another.

That being said some people at Duke stay in NC, particularly those who do well and have ties. For wanting to work at a bigger NC firm, you have to do well at UNC too. UNC in 2015 had 16 go to NY, probably mostly in biglaw and some NY firms come interview and had a million stay in NC (though definitely not a ton at these kinds of bigger NC firms). Duke had a million go to NY I'm sure, and its 2016 509 has 18 NC takers. So it's kind of inverse. Don't buy the argument that Duke self selects NY and could get NC easily - NC firms are just hard to get from wherever. I think UNC gives you the best shot but also more downside risk, Duke gives you the upside of biglaw in NY with a lot of debt (if you don't get a scholarship) if you don't get NC - that never seemed like much of an upside to me though.

As to the differential, 2014 was 18.9% i think, so just kind of bounces around in there. In 2016 4 people went to firms of unknown size, and if even a couple of those went to 100+ you'd be back above 20%. In 2015 only 1 was unknown size. With a relatively low tuition and huge public interest focus, a lot of people just aren't really interested in the big firms - though I don't know how much that plays into the numbers.

It's definitely something interesting to watch, though. Dean Brinkley has reinvigorated the opportunities geared towards firm work here - with new transactional classes, bringing in lawyers adjunct-taught classes, and the like. He even teaches a life cycle of the M&A deal course now that is really popular. He was a partner at Smith Anderson in Raleigh before coming over. He only started in the summer of 2015, so it will be interesting to watch the impact of his position on OCI because anyone graduating in 2016 did OCIs before he got the position. I imagine the impact of having someone who practiced at such a high level will be a very beneficial one.
Wow! This was more informative and more thorough than I ever could have asked for. Thank you so much. You spoke to alot of my anxieties and I truly do appreciate it. To continue with what you were saying, do you feel like because I am not a native North Carolinian, I might have a worse chance of getting a NC job? I have very close friends at Texas and Alabama and for both of firms, firms have been wary of them because they do not have any roots in the states and are afraid that they are going to leave for elsewhere.

HangingAround

Bronze

Post by HangingAround » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:33 pm

onecallthats all wrote:
HangingAround wrote:

I picked UNC over 118k from Duke wanting to stay in NC if that's any indication. The slight bump Duke may give you for NC firms is more than mitigated, in my opinion, by how you will more likely be lower in your class at Duke. You can check out young associates at firms you are interested in to see their backgrounds. I'd say most NC firms interview at Wake Duke UNC and Virginia and various other places - what I have been told by people at those firms is that once a firm is interviewing at your school, your school is good enough and then you will be looked at compared to people at your school. Many partners at firms here went to UNC or Wake, they aren't going to discount themselves by discounting the schools they went to. Most people I talked to recommended going to UNC if you were sure about staying in NC, but Duke if unsure but knew you wanted to do biglaw. There is also a concern, unfair as it may be, that a Duke student is using NC firms as backup if they don't get biglaw in a bigger city. That can be mitigated with ties but when I was applying even native North Carolinians at Duke were having trouble getting over that presumption. I think Duke probably providesa bump for the satellite offices of national firms and Charlotte in general and less of a bump for NC firms, particularly those not in Charlotte. The NC-based firms in Charlotte I can't really say one way or another.

Wow! This was more informative and more thorough than I ever could have asked for. Thank you so much. You spoke to alot of my anxieties and I truly do appreciate it. To continue with what you were saying, do you feel like because I am not a native North Carolinian, I might have a worse chance of getting a NC job? I have very close friends at Texas and Alabama and for both of firms, firms have been wary of them because they do not have any roots in the states and are afraid that they are going to leave for elsewhere.
No problem - it was my main anxiety too and I've been really happy with the reality.

I think it will be a little more difficult for the older NC firms. It won't matter much for a lot of Charlotte, though maybe moreso for the more NC-centric firms there. If you're from a nearby state it won't matter much regardless in my opinion. It's such an investment in summer associates and young lawyers (aka you cost a ton of money and don't bring a ton of value) that all things being equal, a firm doesn't want to give a job to someone that's going to head home as soon as possible. And with the grades to get these bigger NC firms, you could head home more than likely.

All that being said, out of staters seemed be just as competitive as NC natives for 1L OCI and as far as I could tell do fine for 2L as well. It's just not that hard to convince someone you want to stay in NC - both Raleigh and Charlotte get ranked pretty well as places to live (especially Raleigh) and people generally like NC when they move here.

Also there's a decent amount of out of state - NY, Atlanta, and random other places interviewing here so you don't have to go all in on NC.

Plus outside of those top NC firms which are small and hard to get from anywhere, I think not being from NC is absolutely fine - plenty of people aren't and do well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

idontknowyou

New

Post by idontknowyou » Wed May 03, 2017 4:14 pm

My application to stay at Baity Hills (aka Graduate housing) was just accepted. Even though I don't have a family, I got an apartment at Baity instead of Mason (not sure I'm complaining). Do y'all think its worth it or should I try apartments closer to Franklin?

jer0689

New

Post by jer0689 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:31 pm

idontknowyou wrote:My application to stay at Baity Hills (aka Graduate housing) was just accepted. Even though I don't have a family, I got an apartment at Baity instead of Mason (not sure I'm complaining). Do y'all think its worth it or should I try apartments closer to Franklin?
Maybe take a look at the bus routes available and see what's best? Baity is at least a 20 minute walk from the law school, so it's not super ideal, but not horrible either, I suppose. The best routes are off of 54. The Friday Center over there has buses running right by the law school every 5-10 minutes. There are some condos in that vicinity you might want to research/check out, too.

mjm1315

New

Post by mjm1315 » Thu May 04, 2017 10:38 pm

idontknowyou wrote:My application to stay at Baity Hills (aka Graduate housing) was just accepted. Even though I don't have a family, I got an apartment at Baity instead of Mason (not sure I'm complaining). Do y'all think its worth it or should I try apartments closer to Franklin?
I live in Baity Hill now. Do you know what building you're in? There is a bus that picks up like every 10 minutes right behind building 2000 and the law school is one of the first stops. It's a nice apartment and we would be staying but we need a house because we are fostering. We are staying on the same street though because we like the location! You won't be the only one without a family in Baity Hill. Also, the walls are pretty sound proof, so you won't hear kiddos screaming at night either, if that's what you're worried about. I *think* the Baity Hill apartments are bigger than Mason farm ones, but I can't guarantee that.

guyindfw

New

Post by guyindfw » Fri May 05, 2017 11:47 am

Good luck.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

idontknowyou

New

Post by idontknowyou » Fri May 05, 2017 8:21 pm

mjm1315 wrote:
I live in Baity Hill now. Do you know what building you're in? There is a bus that picks up like every 10 minutes right behind building 2000 and the law school is one of the first stops. It's a nice apartment and we would be staying but we need a house because we are fostering. We are staying on the same street though because we like the location! You won't be the only one without a family in Baity Hill. Also, the walls are pretty sound proof, so you won't hear kiddos screaming at night either, if that's what you're worried about. I *think* the Baity Hill apartments are bigger than Mason farm ones, but I can't guarantee that.
Yea Baity averaged 11 mins going and 15 mins coming back using the bus. About the same for anyone living on 54. I also heard theres a lot of Law students living there, and its right next to the BBall stadium! Only downside its a little further from Franklin, but that's also perfect for me. It'll motivate me to go out less and study more.. well I hope it works like that!

And Idr what building, they accepted the app but are getting the assignments together still to send out. But I got a single according to someone on the phone! She also said it was either 2000 or 1800. Any insights? Cheaper than any single I've found so far and only a 10 month lease vs. 12 month lease required at most other apartments...

mjm1315

New

Post by mjm1315 » Sat May 06, 2017 8:29 am

idontknowyou wrote:
mjm1315 wrote:
Yea Baity averaged 11 mins going and 15 mins coming back using the bus. About the same for anyone living on 54. I also heard theres a lot of Law students living there, and its right next to the BBall stadium! Only downside its a little further from Franklin, but that's also perfect for me. It'll motivate me to go out less and study more.. well I hope it works like that!

And Idr what building, they accepted the app but are getting the assignments together still to send out. But I got a single according to someone on the phone! She also said it was either 2000 or 1800. Any insights? Cheaper than any single I've found so far and only a 10 month lease vs. 12 month lease required at most other apartments...
I live in 2000 now. The bus stop is right behind the building! The other building closest to the bus stop is 1800. So you'd be in good shape. And yeah it's a 3 minute walk to the Dean Dome!

raeofsunshine

New

Post by raeofsunshine » Tue May 09, 2017 10:36 am

Anyone hear anything from the waitlist yet?

baco

New

Post by baco » Tue May 09, 2017 11:31 am

raeofsunshine wrote:Anyone hear anything from the waitlist yet?
I've haven't seen anyone report waitlist movement yet. However, based on past forum post (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=229030) I anticipate some movement at the end of this week or sometime next week.

EDIT: One thing to note is that UNC will draw from their waitlist based on institutional needs. For instance, if the class is 65% instate and 35% out of state, they will draw instate students off the waitlist to meet their 70% instate quota, and then they will pick those instate students based on their need for URM and men/women.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cookab

New

Post by cookab » Thu May 11, 2017 1:43 pm

Hey guys! Myself and another student are looking for a few more people to fill a house! Shoot me an email if you're interested and still looking for a place to live! My email is Cookab@appstate.edu

houserep5

New

Post by houserep5 » Sun May 14, 2017 9:56 pm

Hey, has anyone read up on the recent news regarding the new NC budget that will essentially take 4M dollars from the law school and essentially re-invest it in NC medical schools under the assumption that there are too many lawyers in NC but enough doctors? Recent reports say this would be a 30% cut to the law school annul budget (and about half of the school's funding comes from the NC Leg. so that means this would essentially be a 15% cut to the overall funds to Carolina Law), and I'm wondering what effect this may have on the school moving forward. I'm committed to going to Carolina Law regardless but was just wondering what everyone else thought about it.

Yes, I recognize this is simply a draft budget that has yet to receive a final vote from the legislature but it appears to have wide bipartisan support which does not bode well for the law school's coffers. Sure, Dean Brinkley could conceivably just fundraise more from alumni to make up the difference, but 4 million per year will definitely be a difficult gap to make up.

Thoughts?

SeanORaff33

Bronze

Post by SeanORaff33 » Mon May 15, 2017 7:49 am

houserep5 wrote:Hey, has anyone read up on the recent news regarding the new NC budget that will essentially take 4M dollars from the law school and essentially re-invest it in NC medical schools under the assumption that there are too many lawyers in NC but enough doctors? Recent reports say this would be a 30% cut to the law school annul budget (and about half of the school's funding comes from the NC Leg. so that means this would essentially be a 15% cut to the overall funds to Carolina Law), and I'm wondering what effect this may have on the school moving forward. I'm committed to going to Carolina Law regardless but was just wondering what everyone else thought about it.

Yes, I recognize this is simply a draft budget that has yet to receive a final vote from the legislature but it appears to have wide bipartisan support which does not bode well for the law school's coffers. Sure, Dean Brinkley could conceivably just fundraise more from alumni to make up the difference, but 4 million per year will definitely be a difficult gap to make up.

Thoughts?

"This time around, the proposal surfaces as the UNC system’s Board of Governors debates a proposal to forbid law school centers and institutes at UNC-Chapel Hill and N.C. Central University from supplying legal representation. It also comes as the Chapel Hill law school continues to a slide in the U.S. News & World Report national rankings, a trend that has seen it fall behind public university counterparts in 14 other states."

Seems like political posturing from the republicans.

idontknowyou

New

Post by idontknowyou » Mon May 15, 2017 9:40 am

SeanORaff33 wrote:
houserep5 wrote:Hey, has anyone read up on the recent news regarding the new NC budget that will essentially take 4M dollars from the law school and essentially re-invest it in NC medical schools under the assumption that there are too many lawyers in NC but enough doctors? Recent reports say this would be a 30% cut to the law school annul budget (and about half of the school's funding comes from the NC Leg. so that means this would essentially be a 15% cut to the overall funds to Carolina Law), and I'm wondering what effect this may have on the school moving forward. I'm committed to going to Carolina Law regardless but was just wondering what everyone else thought about it.

Thoughts?

"This time around, the proposal surfaces as the UNC system’s Board of Governors debates a proposal to forbid law school centers and institutes at UNC-Chapel Hill and N.C. Central University from supplying legal representation. It also comes as the Chapel Hill law school continues to a slide in the U.S. News & World Report national rankings, a trend that has seen it fall behind public university counterparts in 14 other states."

Seems like political posturing from the republicans.
I agree^. Sounds like this is a bargaining chip by republicans. I would just wait and see when they renegotiate.

"In the Senate, which is voting on its draft this week, “the question is if we can do something short-term as a placeholder to make sure it gets the attention it deserves,” said McKissick, who like Cooper is a Democrat. “From what I gather, there wasn’t any intent to de-fund it. It’s just a matter of it perhaps not being in the front of the minds of those crafting the budget at that time.'"

This quote is talking about buying land for NCSU, but just goes to show there's a lot more that's going to be renegotiated.

However, in my opinion, it doesn't hurt to write to your state representatives and give them your perspective.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

HangingAround

Bronze

Post by HangingAround » Mon May 15, 2017 10:16 pm

Thoughts?
Pretty sure they threatened the same thing last year, even down to the same amount of money. Nothing came of it. We have some outspoken professors who believe a lot in what they do/ are pretty critical of state republicans. Brings on some controversy, but is what is is. Part of being a state university, I think, is these kinds of things happen, especially in a state as politicized as NC recently. I would expect (and hope), once again, nothing to come of it.

idontknowyou

New

Post by idontknowyou » Tue May 23, 2017 12:09 pm

This might be a random question but do all law students have access to the gym facilities on campus? And are they paid for through tuition?

HangingAround

Bronze

Post by HangingAround » Tue May 23, 2017 11:25 pm

idontknowyou wrote:This might be a random question but do all law students have access to the gym facilities on campus? And are they paid for through tuition?
yep, yep!

idontknowyou

New

Post by idontknowyou » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:00 pm

Don't forget to pay your second seat deposit!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”