UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SeanORaff33

Bronze

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Post by SeanORaff33 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:49 pm

mjm1315 wrote:
SeanORaff33 wrote:
mjm1315 wrote:
SeanORaff33 wrote:
mjm1315 wrote:
idontknowyou wrote:Does anyone know where they're living yet?? I started calling apartment leasing offices and quite a few singles have already been completely leased... And I definitely don't want a roommate... I don't want them to witness all the potential breakdowns next year...
I'm getting a house next year, but I lived this year on campus in the family/grad housing and it's very nice. My husband is a pharmacy student and several students in his cohort switched to the 1 bedroom grad apartments from off campus places because of the convenience. All inclusive too which is nice on hot August days when you want the air conditioner on full blast. Probably a 15-20 minute walk to the law school or a quick 5 minute bus ride.

I'm living at Laurel Ridge off of 54.

Anyone have reviews of the complex? I might be in a 1 br, I might be in a 2 town house.
Have you visited before? I know the address is 54, but it's technically almost in Carborro. It's not the 54 that the law school is off of. 54 splits and turns into 15-501, which is where Laurel Ridge is. Still not a bad location and near a good Chinese takeout place and a grocery store, but I didn't want you to think it's super close to the law school like Glen Lennox and Meadowmont are
Yeah, I toured. It's like 2.5 miles from the law school and like a 25-35 minute bus ride according to google

Ok great! Just didn't want you to think it was a short walk away. I've seen past students post that anything on 54 is really close, but the roads split so not necessarily everything is walkable on 54.

Lol yeah I definitely won't be walking! I just wanted something in a free busline. What's the good Chinese restaurant you mentioned?

mjm1315

New

Post by mjm1315 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:34 pm

SeanORaff33 wrote:
mjm1315 wrote:
SeanORaff33 wrote:
mjm1315 wrote:
SeanORaff33 wrote:
mjm1315 wrote:
idontknowyou wrote:Does anyone know where they're living yet?? I started calling apartment leasing offices and quite a few singles have already been completely leased... And I definitely don't want a roommate... I don't want them to witness all the potential breakdowns next year...
I'm getting a house next year, but I lived this year on campus in the family/grad housing and it's very nice. My husband is a pharmacy student and several students in his cohort switched to the 1 bedroom grad apartments from off campus places because of the convenience. All inclusive too which is nice on hot August days when you want the air conditioner on full blast. Probably a 15-20 minute walk to the law school or a quick 5 minute bus ride.

Anyone have reviews of the complex? I might be in a 1 br, I might be in a 2 town house.
Have you visited before? I know the address is 54, but it's technically almost in Carborro. It's not the 54 that the law school is off of. 54 splits and turns into 15-501, which is where Laurel Ridge is. Still not a bad location and near a good Chinese takeout place and a grocery store, but I didn't want you to think it's super close to the law school like Glen Lennox and Meadowmont are
Yeah, I toured. It's like 2.5 miles from the law school and like a 25-35 minute bus ride according to google

Ok great! Just didn't want you to think it was a short walk away. I've seen past students post that anything on 54 is really close, but the roads split so not necessarily everything is walkable on 54.

Lol yeah I definitely won't be walking! I just wanted something in a free busline. What's the good Chinese restaurant you mentioned?
China Wok! It's also right beside the ABC store and food lion. There's obviously much better food than that, but it's good for cheap/fast takeout when you don't want to cook!

BostonOrBust

Bronze

Post by BostonOrBust » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:00 am

SeanORaff33 wrote:
mjm1315 wrote:
SeanORaff33 wrote:
mjm1315 wrote:
SeanORaff33 wrote:
mjm1315 wrote:

FWIW I just visited apartments in the area and Laurel Ridge was probably the most bang for our buck in terms of what we saw (Looked at southern villages, villages of chapel hill, alta springs, glen lennox, crosstown.) It didn't have the same luxury feel as some of the others (for whatever reason) but was definitely nice enough and offered essentially the same amenities. My favorite was alta-- of course it was the most expensive and my partner is not wild about the cost. What a buzzkill! ;-) Likely to end up around Laurel Ridge with you!

It's definitely bike-able and close on a bus line, but would be a pain to walk.

idontknowyou

New

Post by idontknowyou » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:03 pm

Y'all, final four!! Wearing my Carolina gear at work right now

BostonOrBust

Bronze

Post by BostonOrBust » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:43 pm

idontknowyou wrote:Y'all, final four!! Wearing my Carolina gear at work right now
Haven't made my decision quite official so I'm not public with my friends/family/work/social media about my likely UNC attendance.... it's driving me crazy because I want to be SO VOCAL about "my team" making it to final four!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

idontknowyou

New

Post by idontknowyou » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:39 pm

Now that I think about it, I haven't really started telling anyone either. Perhaps I'm hoping the ASD will make me fall in love with UNC and I'll get super excited to go there..! I know the facilities at UNC are complete trash, but can someone elaborate about student life/faculty/culture, where people go to eat, likely chance at biglaw? Probably questions for current students or alums, but perspectives who toured or know about this stuff from other students is definitely welcome!!

bbmayes

New

Post by bbmayes » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:32 pm

idontknowyou wrote:Now that I think about it, I haven't really started telling anyone either. Perhaps I'm hoping the ASD will make me fall in love with UNC and I'll get super excited to go there..! I know the facilities at UNC are complete trash, but can someone elaborate about student life/faculty/culture, where people go to eat, likely chance at biglaw? Probably questions for current students or alums, but perspectives who toured or know about this stuff from other students is definitely welcome!!
It's all relative. 11 years of govt hand me down facilities would make you see those "trash" facilities in a different light. Seek out Prof. Nichol if you're looking to be wooed. The people are the important pieces...

idontknowyou

New

Post by idontknowyou » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:36 pm

bbmayes wrote:
idontknowyou wrote:Now that I think about it, I haven't really started telling anyone either. Perhaps I'm hoping the ASD will make me fall in love with UNC and I'll get super excited to go there..! I know the facilities at UNC are complete trash, but can someone elaborate about student life/faculty/culture, where people go to eat, likely chance at biglaw? Probably questions for current students or alums, but perspectives who toured or know about this stuff from other students is definitely welcome!!
It's all relative. 11 years of govt hand me down facilities would make you see those "trash" facilities in a different light. Seek out Prof. Nichol if you're looking to be wooed. The people are the important pieces...
No, I absolutely agree with this. That's why I never even factored facilities into my decision. More interested in other aspects of UNC life, especially since there's so little online about the law school

njdevils327

Bronze

Post by njdevils327 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:41 am

Withdrew from the school yesterday. Hope it gives a spot to someone off the waitlist who really wants to go there

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cd1945

New

Post by cd1945 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:54 pm

BostonOrBust wrote:
idontknowyou wrote:Y'all, final four!! Wearing my Carolina gear at work right now
Haven't made my decision quite official so I'm not public with my friends/family/work/social media about my likely UNC attendance.... it's driving me crazy because I want to be SO VOCAL about "my team" making it to final four!!
Second deposit in! UNC win it all!

mjm1315

New

Post by mjm1315 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:45 pm

http://www.law.unc.edu/calendar/event.aspx?cid=177010

For those of you going to ASD on Friday, the UNC Law Revue is Thursday night on franklin street. I'm thinking about going.

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:52 am

Double Tar Heel here and current 3L (almost done :D ). Anyways, the law school facilities definitely leave a lot to be desired. That being said, a lecture hall is a lecture hall. Doesn't matter how comfortable you are, nobody enjoys learning Civil Procedure at 8:45AM. Student life at UNC is pretty active. There's lots of student organizations if you want to get involved. Law students tend to hit the bars on Thursday nights. UNC is a big athletic school, so college athletics plays a large role in the social aspects of UNC. The faculty is probably UNC's strongest selling point. If you're looking for civil rights/public interest then try to get in contact with Prof. Gene Nichol or Prof. Ted Shaw. If you're interested in the financial services industry, try to get in contact with Prof. Lissa Broome. If you're interested in corporate governance or choice of law issues or international arbitration and other similar topics, get in contact with Prof. John Coyle, Prof. Arthur Weisburd, or Prof. Mark Weidemaier. The culture at UNC is definitely public interest heavy, but there are people of all interests. Chances at big law are probably somewhere around 10%, but the most desirable jobs in NC are typically the strong regional firms (Robinson Bradshaw, Wyrick Robbins, Smith Anderson, Parker Poe, Bradley Arrant, Brooks Pierce, etc.) so those don't always count as "biglaw" but are very sought after because of competitive pay and much better work/life balance. Hope this helps.

emilycyoung1

New

Post by emilycyoung1 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:50 pm

hipcatdaddio wrote:
Double Tar Heel here and current 3L (almost done :D ). Anyways, the law school facilities definitely leave a lot to be desired. That being said, a lecture hall is a lecture hall. Doesn't matter how comfortable you are, nobody enjoys learning Civil Procedure at 8:45AM. Student life at UNC is pretty active. There's lots of student organizations if you want to get involved. Law students tend to hit the bars on Thursday nights. UNC is a big athletic school, so college athletics plays a large role in the social aspects of UNC. The faculty is probably UNC's strongest selling point. If you're looking for civil rights/public interest then try to get in contact with Prof. Gene Nichol or Prof. Ted Shaw. If you're interested in the financial services industry, try to get in contact with Prof. Lissa Broome. If you're interested in corporate governance or choice of law issues or international arbitration and other similar topics, get in contact with Prof. John Coyle, Prof. Arthur Weisburd, or Prof. Mark Weidemaier. The culture at UNC is definitely public interest heavy, but there are people of all interests. Chances at big law are probably somewhere around 10%, but the most desirable jobs in NC are typically the strong regional firms (Robinson Bradshaw, Wyrick Robbins, Smith Anderson, Parker Poe, Bradley Arrant, Brooks Pierce, etc.) so those don't always count as "biglaw" but are very sought after because of competitive pay and much better work/life balance. Hope this helps.
Could you talk about your 1L schedule a bit? I am curious to know what a typical week Monday through Friday will look like. I have heard from some people that you only have classes Monday through Thursday or 4 days a week but have heard differently from others.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:42 pm

emilycyoung1 wrote:
hipcatdaddio wrote:
Could you talk about your 1L schedule a bit? I am curious to know what a typical week Monday through Friday will look like. I have heard from some people that you only have classes Monday through Thursday or 4 days a week but have heard differently from others.
Sure! As a 1L, you'll take Contracts, Civil Procedure, Constitutional Law, Torts, Property, Criminal Law, as well as RRWA 1 + 2 (legal writing) spread out over 2 semesters. You will almost certainly have class 5 days a week.

That being said, as a 2L and 3L you can choose your classes and the vast majority of 2L/3L classes don't meet on Fridays. It's rare that a 2L/3L has a Friday class.

emilycyoung1

New

Post by emilycyoung1 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:01 pm

hipcatdaddio wrote:
emilycyoung1 wrote:
hipcatdaddio wrote:
Sure! As a 1L, you'll take Contracts, Civil Procedure, Constitutional Law, Torts, Property, Criminal Law, as well as RRWA 1 + 2 (legal writing) spread out over 2 semesters. You will almost certainly have class 5 days a week.

That being said, as a 2L and 3L you can choose your classes and the vast majority of 2L/3L classes don't meet on Fridays. It's rare that a 2L/3L has a Friday class.
If you had to estimate the amount of hours spent reading per week as a 1L what would it be? I want to be able to get all my reading done during the week and have down time from school stuff on the weekends but I don't know if this will be possible. I have heard everywhere from 10-20 pages a night to 500+ pages a week. And is it true that you only have a final and that is the only graded assignment in each of your classes?

tncats

Bronze

Post by tncats » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:55 pm

hallelujah! In via status checker! I would definitely like more money to justify attending over other offers, but this is a huge relief!

Now to decide whether to go to the April admitted student day or to arrange an individual visit.

idontknowyou

New

Post by idontknowyou » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:31 pm

tncats wrote:hallelujah! In via status checker! I would definitely like more money to justify attending over other offers, but this is a huge relief!

Now to decide whether to go to the April admitted student day or to arrange an individual visit.
Congrats!! Where else are you considering?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

idontknowyou

New

Post by idontknowyou » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:36 pm

emilycyoung1 wrote:
hipcatdaddio wrote:
emilycyoung1 wrote:
hipcatdaddio wrote:

If you had to estimate the amount of hours spent reading per week as a 1L what would it be? I want to be able to get all my reading done during the week and have down time from school stuff on the weekends but I don't know if this will be possible. I have heard everywhere from 10-20 pages a night to 500+ pages a week. And is it true that you only have a final and that is the only graded assignment in each of your classes?
I think this is the same at any law school. I'm a 0L, but don't be surprised to hear you're gonna have a lot of reading. Obviously I have no idea the amount, but a current student told me that he studies his butt off 9-5, takes saturday off, and studies about 8 hours Sunday. He told me he was in the top ten percent. I suppose it really goes along with your study habits. If you are retaining the information studying and reviewing less than I'm sure you can still be successful.

idontknowyou

New

Post by idontknowyou » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:35 pm

Did anyone else notice that their apple weather app says there's going to be a thunderstorm on Friday in Chapel Hill?

mjm1315

New

Post by mjm1315 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:58 pm

idontknowyou wrote:Did anyone else notice that their apple weather app says there's going to be a thunderstorm on Friday in Chapel Hill?

Welcome to NC :wink:

onecallthats all

Bronze

Post by onecallthats all » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:36 pm

hipcatdaddio wrote:
Thanks for joining the thread, your input is greatly appreciated. I am a but confused that you say only 10% of the class goes into biglaw. LST puts UNC at sending 22% of their grduates into 100+ member law firms. Is that a different interpretation of biglaw? Or do you feel like that is false?

Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:25 am

idontknowyou wrote:
emilycyoung1 wrote:
I think this is the same at any law school. I'm a 0L, but don't be surprised to hear you're gonna have a lot of reading. Obviously I have no idea the amount, but a current student told me that he studies his butt off 9-5, takes saturday off, and studies about 8 hours Sunday. He told me he was in the top ten percent. I suppose it really goes along with your study habits. If you are retaining the information studying and reviewing less than I'm sure you can still be successful.
I echo this sentiment by idky. It's a lot of reading, but certainly manageable. I would follow your traditional study habits. I treated law school like a M-F job, but that meant usually staying at the law school til 6 or 7 most evenings and getting to school at around 8am. I did take off Saturdays and Sundays though. (I did well). That being said, I know of lots of people who had completely different study habits from myself who did just as well, if not better than I did. I don't think the course load is going to be different with different law schools. Just do what works for you.

Also, yes it's true that your grade is based entirely on your final exam. There are a couple upper-level classes that differ (usually writing-based classes) where you'll have 2-3 writing assignments during the semester. Your 1L RRWA classes will have a couple assignments that you'll be graded. However, for exam-based classes in law school, your grade is entirely determined by your exam. This being said, during the first semester of your 1L year at UNC, you will be administered mid-terms. These are mandatory, but are ungraded. They are simply to help you get familiar with what a law school exam looks like and familiarize yourself with exam time management, fact patterns, etc.
Last edited by hipcatdaddio on Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:29 am

onecallthats all wrote:
hipcatdaddio wrote:
Thanks for joining the thread, your input is greatly appreciated. I am a but confused that you say only 10% of the class goes into biglaw. LST puts UNC at sending 22% of their grduates into 100+ member law firms. Is that a different interpretation of biglaw? Or do you feel like that is false?

Thanks!
I'm certainly not one to question their numbers. I suppose I would clarify my statement by saying that a fair number of those 100+ member law firms that UNC places in are regional firms (the ones I listed above). Many people would not consider this "big law" because these firms aren't your traditional NY firms. That being said, I wouldn't rely on that number to say that you should bank on big law out of UNC, and if you do get a job at a firm with 100+ attorneys, realize that it is likely a regional firm. Again, I think these regional firms are incredibly desirable, but if your goal is to practice in the big NY/DC firm, or even a branch of a NY/DC firm, that's not where the jobs are.

So my original statement of 10% was speaking mostly to the people working for branches of NY/DC/ATL firms (traditional "big law"). Sorry for the confusion.

tncats

Bronze

Post by tncats » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:12 am

idontknowyou wrote:
tncats wrote:hallelujah! In via status checker! I would definitely like more money to justify attending over other offers, but this is a huge relief!

Thanks! :D I'm primarily looking at Alabama, UNC, and William & Mary. I really hope UNC can match the other offers so it's an actual choice. Are you set on UNC?

idontknowyou

New

Post by idontknowyou » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:36 pm

tncats wrote:
idontknowyou wrote:

Thanks! :D I'm primarily looking at Alabama, UNC, and William & Mary. I really hope UNC can match the other offers so it's an actual choice. Are you set on UNC?
Where do you want to practice post-grad?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”