UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
peremc12

New

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Post by peremc12 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:34 pm

bbmayes wrote:
cookab wrote:Anyone who was placed on Hold hear anything yet?
No

how about now?

bbmayes

New

Post by bbmayes » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:49 pm

peremc12 wrote:
bbmayes wrote:
cookab wrote:Anyone who was placed on Hold hear anything yet?
No

how about now?
In last Thursday

HangingAround

Bronze

Post by HangingAround » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:22 pm

If anyone is looking for a summer sublease in Chapel Hill let me know!It would run until early August so not right up until school starts.

BostonOrBust

Bronze

Post by BostonOrBust » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:07 pm

dianersg wrote:
emilycyoung1 wrote:Accepted today with scholarship of 17500 a year. Im wondering if its worth it to negotiate scholarship money, I received 22,000 from Emory per year (although they're more expensive) and could use that as leverage. But curious as to if they would go any higher considering they're already pretty high now.
It doesn't hurt to try, but I doubt they will increase from $17,500 because that is the next step down from Chancellor's (at least if you are in-state), which they've already announced, and the in-state tuition is so cheap compared to Emory and most other schools.
FYI, you're probably correct for in state, but I've been having a back and forth with someone in admissions which makes me believe that this is not necessarily the case for out of state students. I don't have anything confirmed but there is at least some willingness to negotiate-- particularly to have a percentage of in state tuition paid that is larger than the percentage out of state tuition paid the first year.

HangingAround

Bronze

Post by HangingAround » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:52 pm

BostonOrBust wrote:
dianersg wrote:
emilycyoung1 wrote:Accepted today with scholarship of 17500 a year. Im wondering if its worth it to negotiate scholarship money, I received 22,000 from Emory per year (although they're more expensive) and could use that as leverage. But curious as to if they would go any higher considering they're already pretty high now.
It doesn't hurt to try, but I doubt they will increase from $17,500 because that is the next step down from Chancellor's (at least if you are in-state), which they've already announced, and the in-state tuition is so cheap compared to Emory and most other schools.
FYI, you're probably correct for in state, but I've been having a back and forth with someone in admissions which makes me believe that this is not necessarily the case for out of state students. I don't have anything confirmed but there is at least some willingness to negotiate-- particularly to have a percentage of in state tuition paid that is larger than the percentage out of state tuition paid the first year.
Interesting look at Emory/UNC being virtually identical in terms of overall biglaw placement if you want biglaw

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=275408

Also worth noting the nation's 100 largest law firms that chart is based on won't include a decent amount of NC/regional firms' NC offices that are highly desirable to/achievable by top UNC students. Seems like Atlanta firms/Atlanta offices of firms would be more likely to be in the 100 largest national firms Just a guess though.

I remember when I was looking at schools, it seemed like Emory was propped up by its huge portion of school funded positions. Not sure if that is the case any longer, but I remember Above the Law usually had them ranked around 40 (with UNC in mid 20s) after discounting for that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mjm1315

New

Post by mjm1315 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:37 pm

Has anyone checked their Connect Carolina account for financial aid info? Would love to see if I will receive any grants or not, but it still says aid pending

tncats

Bronze

Post by tncats » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:28 pm

I'm so anxious waiting to hear back. I assume since they haven't admitted me yet, there will probably be almost no scholarship money left if they do admit me. Really hoping for another wave of decisions tomorrow.

BostonOrBust

Bronze

Post by BostonOrBust » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:31 pm

tncats wrote:I'm so anxious waiting to hear back. I assume since they haven't admitted me yet, there will probably be almost no scholarship money left if they do admit me. Really hoping for another wave of decisions tomorrow.
Don't lose hope! They are still negotiating schollys which to me says there is still $$ to be had. Crossing my fingers that we'll be fellow Tar Heels. :D

tncats

Bronze

Post by tncats » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:33 pm

BostonOrBust wrote:
tncats wrote:I'm so anxious waiting to hear back. I assume since they haven't admitted me yet, there will probably be almost no scholarship money left if they do admit me. Really hoping for another wave of decisions tomorrow.
Don't lose hope! They are still negotiating schollys which to me says there is still $$ to be had. Crossing my fingers that we'll be fellow Tar Heels. :D
Thanks! :D :D Are you for sure going to UNC or still deciding?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BostonOrBust

Bronze

Post by BostonOrBust » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:37 pm

tncats wrote:
BostonOrBust wrote:
90%. Still waiting on Vandy, which is unlikely but is the only place left that would change my mind. I'm visiting UNC next week and figure it will seal the deal as the campus is supposed to be beautiful and I'm expecting more of the fantastic interactions I've had with students/staff/alumni so far.

bbmayes

New

Post by bbmayes » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:40 pm

BostonOrBust wrote:
Got in Thursday with no notice of scholarship. Not expecting anything but maybe they are just waiting to see what is left over...

mjm1315

New

Post by mjm1315 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:45 pm

bbmayes wrote:
BostonOrBust wrote:
Got in Thursday with no notice of scholarship. Not expecting anything but maybe they are just waiting to see what is left over...
Make sure you check your spam folder! Mine went there last year

SeanORaff33

Bronze

Post by SeanORaff33 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:02 am

BostonOrBust wrote:
tncats wrote:
BostonOrBust wrote:
90%. Still waiting on Vandy, which is unlikely but is the only place left that would change my mind. I'm visiting UNC next week and figure it will seal the deal as the campus is supposed to be beautiful and I'm expecting more of the fantastic interactions I've had with students/staff/alumni so far.

Just want to give you a heads up, while the campus is gorgeous, the law school building itself is not that great. I just dont want you to be disappointed

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

onecallthats all

Bronze

Post by onecallthats all » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:24 am

Tomthecat wrote:In with some $
Stats? If you dont mind?

mj33

New

Post by mj33 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:12 pm

Have any Feb LSAT takers heard back yet?

SeanORaff33

Bronze

Post by SeanORaff33 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:52 am

Trying to decide between visiting on 4/7 and 3/31. What day are you all going??

idontknowyou

New

Post by idontknowyou » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:20 am

Does anyone know where they're living yet?? I started calling apartment leasing offices and quite a few singles have already been completely leased... And I definitely don't want a roommate... I don't want them to witness all the potential breakdowns next year...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

idontknowyou

New

Post by idontknowyou » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:43 pm

SeanORaff33 wrote:Trying to decide between visiting on 4/7 and 3/31. What day are you all going??
3/31

mjm1315

New

Post by mjm1315 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:10 pm

idontknowyou wrote:Does anyone know where they're living yet?? I started calling apartment leasing offices and quite a few singles have already been completely leased... And I definitely don't want a roommate... I don't want them to witness all the potential breakdowns next year...
I'm getting a house next year, but I lived this year on campus in the family/grad housing and it's very nice. My husband is a pharmacy student and several students in his cohort switched to the 1 bedroom grad apartments from off campus places because of the convenience. All inclusive too which is nice on hot August days when you want the air conditioner on full blast. Probably a 15-20 minute walk to the law school or a quick 5 minute bus ride.

SeanORaff33

Bronze

Post by SeanORaff33 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:48 pm

mjm1315 wrote:
idontknowyou wrote:Does anyone know where they're living yet?? I started calling apartment leasing offices and quite a few singles have already been completely leased... And I definitely don't want a roommate... I don't want them to witness all the potential breakdowns next year...
I'm getting a house next year, but I lived this year on campus in the family/grad housing and it's very nice. My husband is a pharmacy student and several students in his cohort switched to the 1 bedroom grad apartments from off campus places because of the convenience. All inclusive too which is nice on hot August days when you want the air conditioner on full blast. Probably a 15-20 minute walk to the law school or a quick 5 minute bus ride.

I'm living at Laurel Ridge off of 54.

Anyone have reviews of the complex? I might be in a 1 br, I might be in a 2 town house.

idontknowyou

New

Post by idontknowyou » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:19 pm

mjm1315 wrote:
Can you live at Mason Farm's if you don't have a family and not married? Or is that restriction just for baity hill?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mjm1315

New

Post by mjm1315 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:20 pm

idontknowyou wrote:
mjm1315 wrote:
Can you live at Mason Farm's if you don't have a family and not married? Or is that restriction just for baity hill?
Yep, Baity Hill is families, Mason Farm is any grad students. There aren't kids in the Mason farm apartments, so no worries about noise. I don't hear my neighbors anyway though. It's super nice because they let you defer rent payments until your financial aid comes in each semester (and you can defer for the whole summer, as well as a bridge program, so if you get a 1L job somewhere else, you only pay half rent while you're gone)

mjm1315

New

Post by mjm1315 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:29 pm

SeanORaff33 wrote:
mjm1315 wrote:

Anyone have reviews of the complex? I might be in a 1 br, I might be in a 2 town house.
Have you visited before? I know the address is 54, but it's technically almost in Carborro. It's not the 54 that the law school is off of. 54 splits and turns into 15-501, which is where Laurel Ridge is. Still not a bad location and near a good Chinese takeout place and a grocery store, but I didn't want you to think it's super close to the law school like Glen Lennox and Meadowmont are

SeanORaff33

Bronze

Post by SeanORaff33 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:40 pm

mjm1315 wrote:
SeanORaff33 wrote:
mjm1315 wrote:

Have you visited before? I know the address is 54, but it's technically almost in Carborro. It's not the 54 that the law school is off of. 54 splits and turns into 15-501, which is where Laurel Ridge is. Still not a bad location and near a good Chinese takeout place and a grocery store, but I didn't want you to think it's super close to the law school like Glen Lennox and Meadowmont are
Yeah, I toured. It's like 2.5 miles from the law school and like a 25-35 minute bus ride according to google

mjm1315

New

Post by mjm1315 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:20 pm

SeanORaff33 wrote:
mjm1315 wrote:
SeanORaff33 wrote:
mjm1315 wrote:

Yeah, I toured. It's like 2.5 miles from the law school and like a 25-35 minute bus ride according to google

Ok great! Just didn't want you to think it was a short walk away. I've seen past students post that anything on 54 is really close, but the roads split so not necessarily everything is walkable on 54.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”