UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dianersg

New

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Post by dianersg » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:49 am

SeanORaff33 wrote:
93tarheel wrote:
dianersg wrote:In yesterday via email! Does anyone know if receiving a scholarship amount means I am not being considered for Chancellor's? I am pretty sure that my numbers would at least guarantee consideration, but the status checker shows a $17,500 per year scholly.
I e-mailed the admissions staff about this and they indicated that they said receiving a scholarship does not mean you are out of the running for Chancellor's. They haven't gone through the process yet and, if you are picked for the scholarship, they would just increase your award. I think online it says the application deadline to be considered for Chancellors is December 31 so maybe more information will come after the new year.
Is there any available data on previous Chancellor's recipients' stats?
Not many people seem to post about Chancellor's, but I talked to the chair of the committee because she is an alum of my UG and it seems like you need to have strong stats to be considered and strong softs / show lots of interest to be a recipient. My friend last year was a finalist and didn't receive it with 170/3.8 URM, but he probably didn't show enough interest.

SeanORaff33

Bronze

Post by SeanORaff33 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:24 am

dianersg wrote:
SeanORaff33 wrote:
93tarheel wrote:
dianersg wrote:In yesterday via email! Does anyone know if receiving a scholarship amount means I am not being considered for Chancellor's? I am pretty sure that my numbers would at least guarantee consideration, but the status checker shows a $17,500 per year scholly.
I e-mailed the admissions staff about this and they indicated that they said receiving a scholarship does not mean you are out of the running for Chancellor's. They haven't gone through the process yet and, if you are picked for the scholarship, they would just increase your award. I think online it says the application deadline to be considered for Chancellors is December 31 so maybe more information will come after the new year.
Not many people seem to post about Chancellor's, but I talked to the chair of the committee because she is an alum of my UG and it seems like you need to have strong stats to be considered and strong softs / show lots of interest to be a recipient. My friend last year was a finalist and didn't receive it with 170/3.8 URM, but he probably didn't show enough interest.
gotcha. The only thing the admissions people told me when I spoke to them was that recipients are typically above both 75ths and have strong softs.

93tarheel

New

Post by 93tarheel » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:06 pm

SeanORaff33 wrote:
dianersg wrote:
SeanORaff33 wrote:
93tarheel wrote:
gotcha. The only thing the admissions people told me when I spoke to them was that recipients are typically above both 75ths and have strong softs.
When I asked, I was told the same thing as well at or above 75th and strong softs

raeofsunshine

New

Post by raeofsunshine » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:48 pm

I was told that my application was being held... does anyone know if this indicates that you most likely will not get in? Would love to go to UNC

pirate101

New

Post by pirate101 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:50 pm

raeofsunshine wrote:I was told that my application was being held... does anyone know if this indicates that you most likely will not get in? Would love to go to UNC
I got held as well. I think it's better than waitlist which from lsn it seems a lot of people have gotten that news already so there's still hope.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

josh9308

New

Post by josh9308 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:45 am

Does anyone know if UNC budges in scholarships in relation to a better scholarship from WF/Duke? Looking around, seems as if they don't negotiate much or at all, but I didn't know if Wake Forest/Duke being competing schools changed anything.

Cane & Crutches

New

Post by Cane & Crutches » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:59 pm

Last edited by Cane & Crutches on Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SeanORaff33

Bronze

Post by SeanORaff33 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:22 am

josh9308 wrote:Does anyone know if UNC budges in scholarships in relation to a better scholarship from WF/Duke? Looking around, seems as if they don't negotiate much or at all, but I didn't know if Wake Forest/Duke being competing schools changed anything.
wondering the same thing. I have a 1l friend who said he only knew one person who successfully negotiated an increase at UNC.

cd1945

New

Post by cd1945 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:31 pm

In today via email!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tomthecat

New

Post by Tomthecat » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:59 pm

In with some $

a.sch

New

Post by a.sch » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:12 pm

Also in! I went complete on 12/9

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:17 pm

SeanORaff33 wrote:
josh9308 wrote:Does anyone know if UNC budges in scholarships in relation to a better scholarship from WF/Duke? Looking around, seems as if they don't negotiate much or at all, but I didn't know if Wake Forest/Duke being competing schools changed anything.
wondering the same thing. I have a 1l friend who said he only knew one person who successfully negotiated an increase at UNC.
historically, UNC doesn't really budge on scholarship offers. However, fundraising by the new Dean hit an all-time high this past year, so there's a chance there'll be more money to negotiate with this cycle. I definitely know of a few people who have successfully negotiated with UNC in the past, so it can be done, just not the norm. (source: I'm a 3L at UNC).

SeanORaff33

Bronze

Post by SeanORaff33 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:37 pm

hipcatdaddio wrote:
SeanORaff33 wrote:
historically, UNC doesn't really budge on scholarship offers. However, fundraising by the new Dean hit an all-time high this past year, so there's a chance there'll be more money to negotiate with this cycle. I definitely know of a few people who have successfully negotiated with UNC in the past, so it can be done, just not the norm. (source: I'm a 3L at UNC).
Thank you!

I got 65% from them and full at IU and Iowa, I'm waiting on Maryland and wake before I approach them to negotiate.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:31 pm

SeanORaff33 wrote:
hipcatdaddio wrote:
SeanORaff33 wrote:
Thank you!

I got 65% from them and full at IU and Iowa, I'm waiting on Maryland and wake before I approach them to negotiate.
Considering that each of the schools you applied to is regional, I would be willing to bet that the Wake offer is the only offer that would interest UNC w/r/t willingness to negotiate. IU and Iowa serve such vastly different markets than UNC/Wake that the full to either IU/Iowa won't change UNC's opinion much. Wake is direct competition with UNC in just about everything, so their offer will be better for leverage.

HangingAround

Bronze

Post by HangingAround » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:33 pm

hipcatdaddio wrote:
SeanORaff33 wrote:
hipcatdaddio wrote:
SeanORaff33 wrote:
Thank you!

Considering that each of the schools you applied to is regional, I would be willing to bet that the Wake offer is the only offer that would interest UNC w/r/t willingness to negotiate. IU and Iowa serve such vastly different markets than UNC/Wake that the full to either IU/Iowa won't change UNC's opinion much. Wake is direct competition with UNC in just about everything, so their offer will be better for leverage.
It is also worth noting for both negotiations and choosing a school the differences between Wake and UNC. They are normally presented as regional peers, rank similarly, and have plenty of differences. The differences noted below may play a part in UNC not moving tremendously from a Wake offer, unless a large spread, though that is entirely speculative on my part. This may be more helpful, however, in your ultimate choice between the schools and hopefully to others as well.

This really only applies to those with biglaw or similar aspirations, which both schools far from guarantee. Using TLS's default that roughly 100+ attorneys is desirable for those who want biglaw or something approaching it and federal clerkships are another highly desirable outcome, the two schools differ tremendously. I always mess up figures, so feel free to note any mistakes.

In the class of 2015 UNC had 232 graduates. UNC had 8 graduates in firms of 101-250, 14 in 251-499, and 30 in 500+. UNC also had 12 students in Federal clerkships. That is a total of 64 out of 232 graduates, or 27.58%.

Keep in mind that UNC has quite the reputation as being a public interested focused student body and school, so perhaps these aren't your goals or necessarily the goals of UNC's students.

In contrast, in the Class of 2015 Wake had 138 students. Wake had 3 graduates in firms of 101-250, 4 in 251-499, and 9 in 500+. Wake also had no students in federal clerkships (anecdotally, some posters said they knew several in the next class who did have federal clerkships). That is a total of 16 out of 138, or 11.59%.

Thus, UNC in that 2015 class was over twice as likely to reach those particular outcomes.

To be fair, Wake had 3 unemployed out of 138, or 2.17% (with another 3 unknown), while UNC had 21 unemployed out of 232, or 9.05% (with another 3 unknown). Both had 2 students in law school funded positions, so that difference is marginal.

If your goals are different, look through the reports linked below if you have not come across them - UNC also reports a more detailed NALP version linked last, many private schools (Wake included, as far as I can tell) do not. You can see if a school usually publishes the NALP report at this first link (though it only goes to 2014, so check the school's site itself for the 2015 as more schools are beginning to release them).

http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/re ... -Database/

Here are the two links for the UNC and Wake employment figures cited above.

http://www.law.unc.edu/documents/career ... rt2015.pdf

http://career.law.wfu.edu/files/2016/08 ... an2015.pdf

And the more detailed UNC NALP report -

http://www.law.unc.edu/documents/career ... rt2015.pdf

raeofsunshine

New

Post by raeofsunshine » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:36 pm

Has anyone whose application has been put on hold received any sort of follow up? Waitlist/Denial/Acceptance

bbmayes

New

Post by bbmayes » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:32 pm

No update yet. I sent an LOCI and scheduled a visit. Has anyone taken an official tour? If so, how did the meeting with admissions go?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mjm1315

New

Post by mjm1315 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:33 pm

bbmayes wrote:No update yet. I sent an LOCI and scheduled a visit. Has anyone taken an official tour? If so, how did the meeting with admissions go?
I took the official tour last year and sat in on contracts. I surprisingly loved it. The tour was super helpful but my talk with admissions was actually terrible. BUT I got in with a good scholarship so I don't think it mattered. They told me they do make note that you visited though, so it could probably only help you!

josh9308

New

Post by josh9308 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:17 am

mjm1315 wrote:
bbmayes wrote:No update yet. I sent an LOCI and scheduled a visit. Has anyone taken an official tour? If so, how did the meeting with admissions go?
I took the official tour last year and sat in on contracts. I surprisingly loved it. The tour was super helpful but my talk with admissions was actually terrible. BUT I got in with a good scholarship so I don't think it mattered. They told me they do make note that you visited though, so it could probably only help you!
What was wrong with your talk with admissions?

mjm1315

New

Post by mjm1315 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:11 am

josh9308 wrote:
mjm1315 wrote:
I'll send you a pm

bbmayes

New

Post by bbmayes » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:35 am

mjm1315 wrote:
josh9308 wrote:
mjm1315 wrote:
I'll send you a pm

Yeah interested in those details...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dianersg

New

Post by dianersg » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:05 pm

Anybody heard whether they are Chancellor's finalists yet? I saw on their website that Chancellor's Scholars Weekend will be Feb. 24-25.

jlobrien14

New

Post by jlobrien14 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:51 pm

I'm in with money!!! 160/3.4 - was worried I wouldn't get in, but I went there for undergrad and wrote a really amazing Why UNC essay, so I think that pushed me over the top. Good luck to everyone!

josh9308

New

Post by josh9308 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:32 pm

Are there are any good pages for Accepted Students to discuss residency and other related questions?

Looked in the last year's thread and there seemed to be no talk of any FB Pages or the like.

Giro423

Bronze

Post by Giro423 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:06 pm

josh9308 wrote:Are there are any good pages for Accepted Students to discuss residency and other related questions?

Looked in the last year's thread and there seemed to be no talk of any FB Pages or the like.
I received an email or letter from them a while ago saying something to the effect of "our c/o 2020 facebook page is not up yet but will be soon". So there should be one within the next couple weeks I would guess.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”