SMU Dedman c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
PatriotP74

Silver

Re: SMU Dedman c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by PatriotP74 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:11 pm

Tazewell wrote:
woopig2017 wrote:
Js1482 wrote:Does anybody have experience with the scholarship renegotiation? I got 90k and am above both 75ths. I got MUCH better scholarships from T20 schools, so I'm wondering how generous renegotiations are.
From what I've heard, SMU doesn't really negotiate on scholarships unless your offers are way way better. As far as I know, 90k is the best you can possibly do without getting one of the special scholarships you have to send a separate application for.

Anyone wanna guess when we might hear on Sumner interview invites? At this point I just want to know either way.
I spoke to Ms. Skipworth about it and she said that they sent all of the applications to the Sumners foundation on the 15th, so they've really just started reading them. She said decisions are usually made the first week of March, and if we get an interview then we'll hear from the foundation, but if we don't, SMU admissions will email us.

I'm with you though. I just got the call from Texas today so the Sumners is really the only thing keeping SMU in the running for me. Hopefully we'll hear next week!

FWIW SMU is great, but its not going to be better than UT, the Sumners is going to require you to be in either top 1/3 or 10% I don't remember. But thats no guarantee. Part of it is going to depend on your career goals, but still as great as I think SMU is, I would have chosen UT in a heartbeat.

thisiswater

Silver

Post by thisiswater » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:31 pm

PatriotP74 wrote:
Tazewell wrote:
woopig2017 wrote:
Js1482 wrote:Does anybody have experience with the scholarship renegotiation? I got 90k and am above both 75ths. I got MUCH better scholarships from T20 schools, so I'm wondering how generous renegotiations are.
From what I've heard, SMU doesn't really negotiate on scholarships unless your offers are way way better. As far as I know, 90k is the best you can possibly do without getting one of the special scholarships you have to send a separate application for.

Anyone wanna guess when we might hear on Sumner interview invites? At this point I just want to know either way.
I spoke to Ms. Skipworth about it and she said that they sent all of the applications to the Sumners foundation on the 15th, so they've really just started reading them. She said decisions are usually made the first week of March, and if we get an interview then we'll hear from the foundation, but if we don't, SMU admissions will email us.

I'm with you though. I just got the call from Texas today so the Sumners is really the only thing keeping SMU in the running for me. Hopefully we'll hear next week!

FWIW SMU is great, but its not going to be better than UT, the Sumners is going to require you to be in either top 1/3 or 10% I don't remember. But thats no guarantee. Part of it is going to depend on your career goals, but still as great as I think SMU is, I would have chosen UT in a heartbeat.
It is top 1/3 not top 10%
I chose SMU over Texas because I wanted to keep my job for a few more years and I was afraid of the debt, but I honestly think it was probably a mistake. I've loved SMU and I have a summer associate lined up so likely I'm going to end up with the best possible result but smu isn't as well regarded as UT and I was only able to work for my first two years so I still have quite a bit of debt. With a Sumners, I think SMU is an arguable option but I don't think it's definitely the best choice

Tazewell

Bronze

Post by Tazewell » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:04 pm

thisiswater wrote:
PatriotP74 wrote:
Tazewell wrote:
woopig2017 wrote:

I chose SMU over Texas because I wanted to keep my job for a few more years and I was afraid of the debt, but I honestly think it was probably a mistake. I've loved SMU and I have a summer associate lined up so likely I'm going to end up with the best possible result but smu isn't as well regarded as UT and I was only able to work for my first two years so I still have quite a bit of debt. With a Sumners, I think SMU is an arguable option but I don't think it's definitely the best choice
Thank you both for the feedback. Like I said, it's a decision that I only have a slim chance of being able to make in the first place, but if I am lucky enough to get that opportunity, then I'm taking it in a heartbeat. It's just what works best for me, but again, I know full well I likely won't get it anyways.

Forwardandonward

New

Post by Forwardandonward » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:13 pm

Hi! I'm looking for advice about the Dallas legal market... What decent options are there for someone not interested in big law? I'm in my mid-30s, married with two kids. I can't sell my life away after graduation, despite the alluring salary and prestige of big law. Also, I've been working in journalism for the last decade and developed an interest in social/criminal justice, government policy and civil rights, and I have no interest in representing big companies or transactional law.

An ideal job would be at a mid-size firm where opportunities exist to argue in the courtroom, perhaps in civil rights litigation (does this even exist in Dallas?!!). How much would something like that pay, with what expected rate of growth? And would there be a work/life balance?

I'm also considering government - perhaps at a district attorney or US attorney office. I saw the posted salaries begin at about 60K and go up to about 100k in a few years. Anyone have experience with that?

I know this is putting the cart ahead of the horse, but my decision to attend law school is dependent on the practical outcome. I've been accepted and got the email to interview for the Sumners. I can't take on student debt because of what it would do to my family, so I'll only enroll if I'm so lucky to be granted the scholarship. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Forwardandonward

New

Post by Forwardandonward » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:17 pm

Tazewell wrote:
thisiswater wrote:
PatriotP74 wrote:
Tazewell wrote:
woopig2017 wrote:

Thank you both for the feedback. Like I said, it's a decision that I only have a slim chance of being able to make in the first place, but if I am lucky enough to get that opportunity, then I'm taking it in a heartbeat. It's just what works best for me, but again, I know full well I likely won't get it anyways.
Tazewell, they sent out the email about summers interviews on 2/25. It went out as a group email. I hope you are among the recipients.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:49 pm

Forwardandonward wrote:Hi! I'm looking for advice about the Dallas legal market... What decent options are there for someone not interested in big law? I'm in my mid-30s, married with two kids. I can't sell my life away after graduation, despite the alluring salary and prestige of big law.

There are a number of small and mid-size firms in Dallas. However, the quality of those firms and whether or not working there will be awful isn't something you'll be able to find out or research much. If you have Sumner's numbers, you'll likely do well at law school (and SMU generally puts forth specialized efforts to ensure Sumner's people do well), which would likely give you access to regional Biglaw - think Winstead or other similar firms. In that case, you'll still work hard, but not like you would at a Baker Botts or H&B.
Forwardandonward wrote:Also, I've been working in journalism for the last decade and developed an interest in social/criminal justice, government policy and civil rights, and I have no interest in representing big companies or transactional law.
Litigation without representing bigger companies is almost certainly going to be criminal work / slip and fall / traffic accidents / family law. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it won't be the world's most exciting work. Also, pretty much everyone I know from my class who works in litigation despises it and would jump ship to a transactional practice in a split second.
Forwardandonward wrote:An ideal job would be at a mid-size firm where opportunities exist to argue in the courtroom, perhaps in civil rights litigation (does this even exist in Dallas?!!). How much would something like that pay, with what expected rate of growth? And would there be a work/life balance?
You can forget about civil rights work unless you want to work for Legal Aid or something like that. If you want to go the Legal Aid route, you'll get a remarkably low salary but it will come with less hours. I hear a lot of people use the phrase "work/life balance" and here's the thing: it's either money or less work time. It depends on your definitions of things, but any job with a decent salary ($80,000+) is going to require you to work more. It is not and never will be 9-5 regularly. Clients need work done, regardless of who the client is, and you're expected to do it in a timely manner. Sometimes that means working nights and weekends if you get buried. Just the way it is. If you're looking for a real 9-5 job, then either don't go to law school, or be OK with a $50,000 or less salary for some time.

I would say my job has a good "work/life balance" as compared to Biglaw folks - I don't generally have to work nights, and I can avoid weekend work most days. I also tend to work 10-12 hours a day on weekdays, so there is that. I don't have to cancel plans or vacations. But if work has to get done, work has to get done.
Forwardandonward wrote:I'm also considering government - perhaps at a district attorney or US attorney office. I saw the posted salaries begin at about 60K and go up to about 100k in a few years. Anyone have experience with that?
Dallas DA's office is hard to get - most big cities are. You're not getting hired as an AUSA straight out of school, so go ahead and forget that idea.
Forwardandonward wrote:I know this is putting the cart ahead of the horse, but my decision to attend law school is dependent on the practical outcome. I've been accepted and got the email to interview for the Sumners. I can't take on student debt because of what it would do to my family, so I'll only enroll if I'm so lucky to be granted the scholarship. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Practically? You'll never be able to know what the outcome will be. Ever. It's a complete roll of the dice if you choose to go. You can minimize risk (such as taking a Sumner's scholarship), but ultimately, you could end up in a perfect job or you could end up miserable. There is no way to know without going and seeing what happens.

Forwardandonward

New

Post by Forwardandonward » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:46 pm

kalvano wrote:
Forwardandonward wrote:Hi! I'm looking for advice about the Dallas legal market... What decent options are there for someone not interested in big law? I'm in my mid-30s, married with two kids. I can't sell my life away after graduation, despite the alluring salary and prestige of big law.

There are a number of small and mid-size firms in Dallas. However, the quality of those firms and whether or not working there will be awful isn't something you'll be able to find out or research much. If you have Sumner's numbers, you'll likely do well at law school (and SMU generally puts forth specialized efforts to ensure Sumner's people do well), which would likely give you access to regional Biglaw - think Winstead or other similar firms. In that case, you'll still work hard, but not like you would at a Baker Botts or H&B.
Forwardandonward wrote:Also, I've been working in journalism for the last decade and developed an interest in social/criminal justice, government policy and civil rights, and I have no interest in representing big companies or transactional law.
Litigation without representing bigger companies is almost certainly going to be criminal work / slip and fall / traffic accidents / family law. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it won't be the world's most exciting work. Also, pretty much everyone I know from my class who works in litigation despises it and would jump ship to a transactional practice in a split second.
Forwardandonward wrote:An ideal job would be at a mid-size firm where opportunities exist to argue in the courtroom, perhaps in civil rights litigation (does this even exist in Dallas?!!). How much would something like that pay, with what expected rate of growth? And would there be a work/life balance?
You can forget about civil rights work unless you want to work for Legal Aid or something like that. If you want to go the Legal Aid route, you'll get a remarkably low salary but it will come with less hours. I hear a lot of people use the phrase "work/life balance" and here's the thing: it's either money or less work time. It depends on your definitions of things, but any job with a decent salary ($80,000+) is going to require you to work more. It is not and never will be 9-5 regularly. Clients need work done, regardless of who the client is, and you're expected to do it in a timely manner. Sometimes that means working nights and weekends if you get buried. Just the way it is. If you're looking for a real 9-5 job, then either don't go to law school, or be OK with a $50,000 or less salary for some time.

I would say my job has a good "work/life balance" as compared to Biglaw folks - I don't generally have to work nights, and I can avoid weekend work most days. I also tend to work 10-12 hours a day on weekdays, so there is that. I don't have to cancel plans or vacations. But if work has to get done, work has to get done.
Forwardandonward wrote:I'm also considering government - perhaps at a district attorney or US attorney office. I saw the posted salaries begin at about 60K and go up to about 100k in a few years. Anyone have experience with that?
Dallas DA's office is hard to get - most big cities are. You're not getting hired as an AUSA straight out of school, so go ahead and forget that idea.
Forwardandonward wrote:I know this is putting the cart ahead of the horse, but my decision to attend law school is dependent on the practical outcome. I've been accepted and got the email to interview for the Sumners. I can't take on student debt because of what it would do to my family, so I'll only enroll if I'm so lucky to be granted the scholarship. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Practically? You'll never be able to know what the outcome will be. Ever. It's a complete roll of the dice if you choose to go. You can minimize risk (such as taking a Sumner's scholarship), but ultimately, you could end up in a perfect job or you could end up miserable. There is no way to know without going and seeing what happens.
Thank you for your very thoughtful response. Good to hear it straight. Much appreciated.

gizmo1024

Bronze

Post by gizmo1024 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:24 pm

Ahh just got the call!

texas95

New

Post by texas95 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:24 am

Has anyone submitted the scholarship reconsideration form and heard back yet? Curious to see if the trend of not negotiating scholarships continues this year

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zer0_Her0

New

Post by zer0_Her0 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:27 pm

I applied to SMU over a month ago and hoping someone can give me an idea of their experience w/status updates / checker.

My status checker says:

fulfillment status: Paper / electronic reports have been generated
file completed: 2/1
Application completed : 2/1
Current status date: 2/1

Is there a status update when the file goes under review?! I'm dying

Dirtyolmuskrat

New

Post by Dirtyolmuskrat » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:26 pm

zer0_Her0 wrote:I applied to SMU over a month ago and hoping someone can give me an idea of their experience w/status updates / checker.

My status checker says:

I'm 99% sure mine went under review

zer0_Her0

New

Post by zer0_Her0 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:31 am

Dirtyolmuskrat wrote:
zer0_Her0 wrote:I applied to SMU over a month ago and hoping someone can give me an idea of their experience w/status updates / checker.

My status checker says:

I'm 99% sure mine went under review
Booooo

Cerisebrair

New

Post by Cerisebrair » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:12 pm

texas95 wrote:Has anyone submitted the scholarship reconsideration form and heard back yet? Curious to see if the trend of not negotiating scholarships continues this year
I just completed mine and turned it in. Just curious, what are your numbers? Has anyone else completed the reconsideration? If so, mind sharing your numbers?

I am >75% LSAT >50% GPA Scholly = $24k/ yr.

Offers from other schools:
Baylor = full ride
Texas A&M = full ride

Due to family reasons, I have to stay near the Dallas area. :(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

woopig2017

New

Post by woopig2017 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:04 am

Cerisebrair wrote:
texas95 wrote:Has anyone submitted the scholarship reconsideration form and heard back yet? Curious to see if the trend of not negotiating scholarships continues this year
I just completed mine and turned it in. Just curious, what are your numbers? Has anyone else completed the reconsideration? If so, mind sharing your numbers?

Baylor = full ride
Texas A&M = full ride

Please do not go to TAMU. IF you are thinking of doing anything other than SMU you need to go to Baylor.

Jonesy2020

New

Post by Jonesy2020 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:13 am

woopig2017 wrote:
Cerisebrair wrote:

Baylor = full ride
Texas A&M = full ride

Please do not go to TAMU. IF you are thinking of doing anything other than SMU you need to go to Baylor.
^^ Agreed. SMU is a solid Tier 1 Law school, while TAMU's future is uncertain.

Cerisebrair

New

Post by Cerisebrair » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:49 am

Jonesy2020 wrote:
woopig2017 wrote:
Cerisebrair wrote:

Baylor = full ride
Texas A&M = full ride

^^ Agreed. SMU is a solid Tier 1 Law school, while TAMU's future is uncertain.
Thanks for the advice! No worries....despite being an Aggie, I will not be considering TAMU. I am 99.99% sure I will be attending SMU. Just wanted to try for more $. It can't hurt afterall ;)

woopig2017

New

Post by woopig2017 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:35 pm

Cerisebrair wrote:
Thanks for the advice! No worries....despite being an Aggie, I will not be considering TAMU. I am 99.99% sure I will be attending SMU. Just wanted to try for more $. It can't hurt afterall ;)
Definitely can't hurt!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

texas95

New

Post by texas95 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:17 am

Cerisebrair wrote:

Baylor = full ride
Texas A&M = full ride

I'm 3.5/165. Turned in the negotiation form a few weeks ago with much better offers from better schools, still waiting to hear back.

EDIT: Initial SMU offer was $24k/year as well.

DFWFellow

New

Post by DFWFellow » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:10 pm

Has anyone here applied for the reduced load option? I have been accepted, but I am still waiting for my admissions packet. The person I spoke with on the phone didn't provide me with much info. :(

Roy McAvoy

Bronze

Post by Roy McAvoy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:09 am

DFWFellow wrote:Has anyone here applied for the reduced load option? I have been accepted, but I am still waiting for my admissions packet. The person I spoke with on the phone didn't provide me with much info. :(
What is that? Is that their answer to no longer having a part-time program?

cwl2017

New

Post by cwl2017 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:24 pm

So I got no bumb from the initial 30k/year that I was given.

Was anyone at the ASD? How was it? What was the vibe? What were the students like?
Last edited by cwl2017 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jonesy2020

New

Post by Jonesy2020 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:35 pm

In via Status Checker today, but haven't received an e-mail, yet.

Went complete 3/2

WamBamThankYouMaam

Bronze

Post by WamBamThankYouMaam » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:42 pm

Jonesy2020 wrote:In via Status Checker today, but haven't received an e-mail, yet.

Went complete 3/2
Also in today, already decided where I'll be attending in the fall though. Went complete 1/4, so it's been a long time coming lol.

Jonesy2020

New

Post by Jonesy2020 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:50 pm

WamBamThankYouMaam wrote:
Jonesy2020 wrote:In via Status Checker today, but haven't received an e-mail, yet.

Went complete 3/2
Also in today, already decided where I'll be attending in the fall though. Went complete 1/4, so it's been a long time coming lol.
Same - I think I'll be on the east coast, so i'll be withdrawing soon.

the guardians42

New

Post by the guardians42 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:35 pm

Where/how do I get the scholarship negotiation form?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”