Boston College c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BostonOrBust

Bronze

Re: Boston College c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by BostonOrBust » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:46 pm

JGPGH wrote:
spookyg_g_ghost wrote:
helpmedecide222 wrote:
JGPGH wrote:
circle.the.wagons wrote:
JGPGH wrote:Got waitlisted with a 163 and 3.56- honestly pretty shocked
Wow, isn't that Lsat=75 gpa=50? That is shocking, sorry to hear that.
Lsat=75 and gpa > than median. I honestly can't make sense of it.

Does anyone have advice on what to do?
I was in with a 164, 3.33 with 65k. you'll get in off the waitlist. write a loci.
+1, same stats and scholly.

let them know you're serious.
Will do. Hopefully I'll know in April
Yes, keep trying. Almost identical stats as you and in with a significant scholly (and I'm not URM.) I'd recommend you review your app too and make sure there wasn't any major error on your part (including the wrong PS, an unfinished draft, etc.)

I think that a lot of people apply to BC kind of "just because," as it's a good school in a good city and gives out decent $$, but they aren't enthusiastic about going there and can easily be swayed by other schools and offers. I think that lots of people will withdraw soon (myself very likely included) and spots will open up for people with solid numbers who demonstrate genuine interest. I feel very strongly that you'll be okay with a good LOCI. Fingers crossed for you.

BostonOrBust

Bronze

Post by BostonOrBust » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:50 pm

jstans wrote:Is it common practice in Boston to not rent studios to 2 people? My SO and I will be living together next year and had scheduled some viewings but the realtor just cancelled saying he can't rent studios to two people.
There's no ordinance against it as far as I know. It generally varies by landlords. Some will charge you a fee to have an extra, some won't allow it at all. It's very rare to find a landlord here who will allow it without an additional fee.

JGPGH

New

Post by JGPGH » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:55 pm

BostonOrBust wrote:
JGPGH wrote:
spookyg_g_ghost wrote:
helpmedecide222 wrote:
JGPGH wrote:
circle.the.wagons wrote:
JGPGH wrote:Got waitlisted with a 163 and 3.56- honestly pretty shocked
Wow, isn't that Lsat=75 gpa=50? That is shocking, sorry to hear that.
Lsat=75 and gpa > than median. I honestly can't make sense of it.

Does anyone have advice on what to do?
I was in with a 164, 3.33 with 65k. you'll get in off the waitlist. write a loci.
+1, same stats and scholly.

let them know you're serious.
Will do. Hopefully I'll know in April
Yes, keep trying. Almost identical stats as you and in with a significant scholly (and I'm not URM.) I'd recommend you review your app too and make sure there wasn't any major error on your part (including the wrong PS, an unfinished draft, etc.)

I think that a lot of people apply to BC kind of "just because," as it's a good school in a good city and gives out decent $$, but they aren't enthusiastic about going there and can easily be swayed by other schools and offers. I think that lots of people will withdraw soon (myself very likely included) and spots will open up for people with solid numbers who demonstrate genuine interest. I feel very strongly that you'll be okay with a good LOCI. Fingers crossed for you.
Thank you for the words of encouragement, I appreciate it and will definitely be sending them a LOCI within the next week or two. Best of luck to you as well during the rest of this cycle!

jstans

Bronze

Post by jstans » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:23 am

BostonOrBust wrote:
jstans wrote:Is it common practice in Boston to not rent studios to 2 people? My SO and I will be living together next year and had scheduled some viewings but the realtor just cancelled saying he can't rent studios to two people.
There's no ordinance against it as far as I know. It generally varies by landlords. Some will charge you a fee to have an extra, some won't allow it at all. It's very rare to find a landlord here who will allow it without an additional fee.
Interesting. So if they charge an additional fee, I assume it might be of greater value to find a slightly more expensive one bedroom rather than a studio since the costs would equal out to some degree, and I'd actually have room to move around.

BostonOrBust

Bronze

Post by BostonOrBust » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:18 pm

jstans wrote:
BostonOrBust wrote:
Interesting. So if they charge an additional fee, I assume it might be of greater value to find a slightly more expensive one bedroom rather than a studio since the costs would equal out to some degree, and I'd actually have room to move around.
Sorry, I should have been more clear! In my experience many/most landlords in Boston will charge an additional fee for a roommate above the number of bedrooms regardless of how many rooms the apartment has. I.e. there would be a charge for a 4th roommate in a 3 bedroom, a 2nd roommate in a one bedroom or studio, etc. It's not specific to studios. The fee is not equivalent to rent, it's usually anywhere from $100-$300 a month. I've heard this is technically illegal, but IDK, and they certainly do it anyway. Maybe I'll let you know after I shadow a property law class on my visits. :P

Though you may get lucky and find a landlord who won't charge. I'm currently one of three in a two bedroom with no fee. However I have a friend who is one of three in a two bedroom, and they pay a roommate fee of $250/month.

Honestly housing here is a crap shoot, and it's hard to make generalities. I would just start reaching out directly to landlords ASAP to see. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jstans

Bronze

Post by jstans » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:41 pm

BostonOrBust wrote:
jstans wrote:
BostonOrBust wrote:
Sorry, I should have been more clear! In my experience many/most landlords in Boston will charge an additional fee for a roommate above the number of bedrooms regardless of how many rooms the apartment has. I.e. there would be a charge for a 4th roommate in a 3 bedroom, a 2nd roommate in a one bedroom or studio, etc. It's not specific to studios. The fee is not equivalent to rent, it's usually anywhere from $100-$300 a month. I've heard this is technically illegal, but IDK, and they certainly do it anyway. Maybe I'll let you know after I shadow a property law class on my visits. :P

Though you may get lucky and find a landlord who won't charge. I'm currently one of three in a two bedroom with no fee. However I have a friend who is one of three in a two bedroom, and they pay a roommate fee of $250/month.

Honestly housing here is a crap shoot, and it's hard to make generalities. I would just start reaching out directly to landlords ASAP to see. Good luck!
That's not too bad! We'll see if I can get lucky.

circle.the.wagons

Bronze

Post by circle.the.wagons » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:46 pm

When is a good time to start looking for an august 1 move in? I was planning on doing some traveling during July... I'm not familiar with the Boston housing market so I'm not sure if June is too early

spookyg_g_ghost

New

Post by spookyg_g_ghost » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:14 pm

circle.the.wagons wrote:When is a good time to start looking for an august 1 move in? I was planning on doing some traveling during July... I'm not familiar with the Boston housing market so I'm not sure if June is too early

I could be mistaken, so please chime in if anyone wants to correct me, but it is my understanding that most leases in metro Boston start in september, while the minority begin in June. August may be an awkward date.

jstans

Bronze

Post by jstans » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:50 pm

spookyg_g_ghost wrote:
circle.the.wagons wrote:When is a good time to start looking for an august 1 move in? I was planning on doing some traveling during July... I'm not familiar with the Boston housing market so I'm not sure if June is too early

I could be mistaken, so please chime in if anyone wants to correct me, but it is my understanding that most leases in metro Boston start in september, while the minority begin in June. August may be an awkward date.
From what I've seen on the apartment listings I've looked at, this seems to be correct. There are a few that I have seen with August 1 lease start dates though. I've contacted properties I'm interested in, regardless of their listed start date, and explained my preference for an August 1 move-in given the timeline for my long distance move and class start date. I've also asked about any similar properties with August 1 move-in dates in all my emails. The responses I've gotten so far haven't explicitly approved an August 1 start date, but they seemed open to it. Hope this helps, good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dodocogon

Silver

Post by Dodocogon » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:57 pm

jstans wrote:
spookyg_g_ghost wrote:

From what I've seen on the apartment listings I've looked at, this seems to be correct. There are a few that I have seen with August 1 lease start dates though. I've contacted properties I'm interested in, regardless of their listed start date, and explained my preference for an August 1 move-in given the timeline for my long distance move and class start date. I've also asked about any similar properties with August 1 move-in dates in all my emails. The responses I've gotten so far haven't explicitly approved an August 1 start date, but they seemed open to it. Hope this helps, good luck.
Yeah I talked to some students when I was up at the ASD about it and they said many of them were able to buy out the August part of their lease from the prev. tenant.

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Post by tuesdayninja » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:03 pm

Dodocogon wrote:
jstans wrote:
spookyg_g_ghost wrote:

Yeah I talked to some students when I was up at the ASD about it and they said many of them were able to buy out the August part of their lease from the prev. tenant.
So like subletting from the previous tenant for one month? Landlords don't care?

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Post by tuesdayninja » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:05 pm

Also shameless plug for the "class of" thread if those with admits wanna discuss there.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=274450

circle.the.wagons

Bronze

Post by circle.the.wagons » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:10 pm

jstans wrote:
spookyg_g_ghost wrote:

You're already contacting people? You mean brokers or tenants or what? I'm planning on finding some roommates on CL so I don't know how that would work

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jstans

Bronze

Post by jstans » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:18 pm

circle.the.wagons wrote:
jstans wrote:
spookyg_g_ghost wrote:

You're already contacting people? You mean brokers or tenants or what? I'm planning on finding some roommates on CL so I don't know how that would work
Just looking around Trulia/Zillow and such and contacting people through that.

Edit: living with significant other, so I'm not worrying about roommate search.

turkeyncheese

New

Post by turkeyncheese » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:37 pm

What is the best way to go about scholarship negotiation? I know they aren't negotiating much this cycle but I figured it definitely won't hurt to try. I'll be attending their ASD April 1st so I was wondering if I should I email prior to that, call, or could I even go talk to someone in person that weekend? Does anyone have any insight into this?

helpmedecide222

New

Post by helpmedecide222 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:51 pm

Whose going to the April 1 ASD? I'll be there!

sphyrnidae13

Bronze

Post by sphyrnidae13 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:23 pm

helpmedecide222 wrote:Whose going to the April 1 ASD? I'll be there!
Me too!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

helpmedecide222

New

Post by helpmedecide222 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:47 pm

sphyrnidae13 wrote:
Me too!
Are you staying near the Newton campus or near Boston?

Looks like i'll end up at BC

sphyrnidae13

Bronze

Post by sphyrnidae13 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:59 pm

helpmedecide222 wrote:
sphyrnidae13 wrote:
Me too!
Are you staying near the Newton campus or near Boston?

Looks like i'll end up at BC
Not sure yet. Have a sibling at BC, so likely closer to Chestnut Hills

jstans

Bronze

Post by jstans » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:06 pm

Thinking about setting up a financial aid meeting when I'm in Boston for the ASD to discuss my funding situation. Would currently have to take on slightly more debt than I'm comfortable with to attend. Is this ill-advised? I just think face-to-face communication could be more fruitful than negotiations attempted purely over email.

circle.the.wagons

Bronze

Post by circle.the.wagons » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:02 pm

I may have already asked this but the search function isn't doing me any favors right now (on my phone) so I apologize...

Does anyone think BC may give out unsolicited scholarship bumps as we approach the deposit deadline?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mrtux45

Bronze

Post by mrtux45 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:08 pm

circle.the.wagons wrote:I may have already asked this but the search function isn't doing me any favors right now (on my phone) so I apologize...

Does anyone think BC may give out unsolicited scholarship bumps as we approach the deposit deadline?
I certainly hope so, but I don't believe this is something they do

lawof11

New

Post by lawof11 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:15 pm

I'll be at the April 1 ASW as well

em15

Bronze

Post by em15 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:52 pm

lawof11 wrote:I'll be at the April 1 ASW as well
Me too!

07marie05

New

Post by 07marie05 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:56 am

Anyone else still stuck at complete for a crazy long time? Been complete since early February and still not under review. I'm above their 75th for both LSAT & GPA so I really expected to hear something by now. Are they just notoriously slow or should I be concerned?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”