University of Alabama c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
guynourmin

Gold

Re: University of Alabama c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by guynourmin » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:10 am

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Anyone else really like the vibe here?
Can you expand on what makes it so special and the vibes you get? I've hardly heard anything good about the south. But everyone here seems to speak highly of Alabama, it's left me rather curious.
The south is a special place. I cannot imagine it is for everyone,and I'm really not sure it's for me either. I don't think you can choose a school in the south and get away from the south. I would definitely need to go spend some time in Birmingham or another city away from the school for a few days before I really considered committing.

As for the school, they just seemed so engaged with me if that makes sense. I met with a professor who basically had the exact career I want and wasn't that far removed from it. Was able to speak to hiring practices, why Alabama could be right. They didn't hit me over the head with the library and the clinical opportunities and the award winning moot Court (seems like every schools moot Court wins all kinds of awards...I'm not impressed), and really spoke about the opportunities I could have that would be more relevant to me. I don't know if it seemed so personal because the school is right for me or because they really tried to make it that personal, but it hardly matters- either is great!

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:19 am

guybourdin wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Can you expand on what makes it so special and the vibes you get? I've hardly heard anything good about the south. But everyone here seems to speak highly of Alabama, it's left me rather curious.
The south is a special place. I cannot imagine it is for everyone,and I'm really not sure it's for me either. I don't think you can choose a school in the south and get away from the south. I would definitely need to go spend some time in Birmingham or another city away from the school for a few days before I really considered committing.

As for the school, they just seemed so engaged with me if that makes sense. I met with a professor who basically had the exact career I want and wasn't that far removed from it. Was able to speak to hiring practices, why Alabama could be right. They didn't hit me over the head with the library and the clinical opportunities and the award winning moot Court (seems like every schools moot Court wins all kinds of awards...I'm not impressed), and really spoke about the opportunities I could have that would be more relevant to me. I don't know if it seemed so personal because the school is right for me or because they really tried to make it that personal, but it hardly matters- either is great!
Just going to echo the sentiment that I feel like the faculty/admin team really cares about students. Recently attended a dinner with admissions/a few profs/Dean Brandon - very much enjoyed it, and they all seemed like super nice people.

Also sat with a couple current students. They seemed perfectly normal and like people I wouldn't mind being classmates with.

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Post by Assasindowntheavenue » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:35 pm

mrgstephe wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

Just going to echo the sentiment that I feel like the faculty/admin team really cares about students. Recently attended a dinner with admissions/a few profs/Dean Brandon - very much enjoyed it, and they all seemed like super nice people.

Also sat with a couple current students. They seemed perfectly normal and like people I wouldn't mind being classmates with.
I've only interacted with Alabama when I got my acceptance call, but it was a nice conversation. Additionally, I got my admissions packet yesterday and it was pretty amazing - very detailed, handwritten notes, and it just seems like they put the effort into it. That is pretty nice to see, and with the things you both have said, in addition to what others on TLS say about Alabama, I have a pretty positive impression of the school. Hoping to visit soon so I can get a feel for the vibes y'all describe. Thanks for your input!!

atp123

New

Post by atp123 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:19 pm

lk7999 wrote:
atp123 wrote:
nycseeker wrote:
lk7999 wrote:I applied yesterday via streamlined app as well. No confirmation email yet. Is LSAC portal still showing that they are unable to release CAS report due to no assigned LORs for you two? (Despite the LOR requirement being waived)... Just wanting to make sure Alabama is getting my report.
I emailed the office about this specifically and included a screenshot, and they told me that they have received everything and they're not sure why that is showing up. :)
Got my confirmation email today! Hoping to hear back by Friday
Same! Status showing "Application Received" for you?
In today with $$! Still waiting on several other schools but happy with this offer.

paisa_sandia

New

Post by paisa_sandia » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:45 pm

Anyone know where to find information about Alabama's clerkship placements? I found a news article from last year about students accepting clerkships, and I know they rank pretty highly for sending students to federal clerkships, but I'm wondering if there's a place where more specific information is centrally located, like which judges they've sent clerks to, circuit breakdowns, etc. Let me know if y'all are aware of anything!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

atp123

New

Post by atp123 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:52 pm

Anyone going to the admitted students open house in February? If so, are you bringing a guest?

areyn22

New

Post by areyn22 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:54 pm

I visited recently and was very impressed with the admissions staff and the schedule they put together for me. They put me up in a nice hotel and even left a welcome card at the desk. Got to interview with several faculty members and program directors as well as sit in on a class and free lunch with current students. I was really only expecting a campus tour, but UA admissions went above and beyond to make me feel welcome. Everyone was incredibly friendly.

That being said, I was a little underwhelmed by Tuscaloosa itself. Regardless, the law school building itself is nice. I could see myself doing very well at UA. A lot to think about!

BostonOrBust

Bronze

Post by BostonOrBust » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:05 pm

Admitted today via phone call with a reasonable amount of $$. Others have mentioned the personal touch and I was impressed, too. Dean was clearly familiar with my application and suggested specific things about the school which she thought (correctly) I might be interested in.

I wasn't strongly leaning towards it simply because my partner will be moving with me, and I don't think he'd particularly enjoy Tuscaloosa. That being said, with their willingness to provide funding for a visit and the $$ offered, I am certainly going to go and am ready to be convinced (and then to try to convince the boo. :lol: )

I also am generally worried about the culture there. The only person I know who went there was extremely conservative and extremely religious. Totally fine, but not my scene. I'm pretty much a bleeding heart and worried I'd find myself on the outs.

LSAT = 75%
25<GPA<50%

Chipotle85

Bronze

Post by Chipotle85 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:52 am

BostonOrBust wrote:Admitted today via phone call with a reasonable amount of $$. Others have mentioned the personal touch and I was impressed, too. Dean was clearly familiar with my application and suggested specific things about the school which she thought (correctly) I might be interested in.

I wasn't strongly leaning towards it simply because my partner will be moving with me, and I don't think he'd particularly enjoy Tuscaloosa. That being said, with their willingness to provide funding for a visit and the $$ offered, I am certainly going to go and am ready to be convinced (and then to try to convince the boo. :lol: )

I also am generally worried about the culture there. The only person I know who went there was extremely conservative and extremely religious. Totally fine, but not my scene. I'm pretty much a bleeding heart and worried I'd find myself on the outs.

LSAT = 75%
25<GPA<50%
Purely anecdotal so don't know how much you want to take from this but have a family friend who is extremely liberal and is pushing me to go to Alabama. Loved her time there and can't say enough good things about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BostonOrBust

Bronze

Post by BostonOrBust » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:03 pm

Chipotle85 wrote:
BostonOrBust wrote:Admitted today via phone call with a reasonable amount of $$. Others have mentioned the personal touch and I was impressed, too. Dean was clearly familiar with my application and suggested specific things about the school which she thought (correctly) I might be interested in.

LSAT = 75%
25<GPA<50%
Purely anecdotal so don't know how much you want to take from this but have a family friend who is extremely liberal and is pushing me to go to Alabama. Loved her time there and can't say enough good things about it.
Huh, good note. I mean I figure that since it's a university, it's likely to be a more liberal place than the surrounding areas. I'm sure there's a diversity of people with a diversity of views, and depending on the crowd you run with and where your studies focus, it's possible to have a good experience anywhere. I think my baggage is that I grew up in rural Louisiana, so I have a decent idea of how bad things can be and am hesitant to leave the New England bubble to go back, especially in the current climate. That being said I am going into victim rights law, and they have a great DV clinic, and victims in the south often lack the same resources around New England. So it would be a good place to feel like I'm really doing the work. Who knows, lots of decisions on the horizon.

Js1482

New

Post by Js1482 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:22 pm

LSAT = 75%
25<GPA<50%
I wouldn't worry about the culture with Bama. I don't go to Bama but I go to a similar southern school and you get people from all walks of life. I'd go so far as to say my school is predominantly liberal. College campuses in the south are not as rigid and conservative as you'd think.

Also I'm in at Bama and ill be going to the second ASW most likely. Very interested in federal clerkships and I hear Bama is good for that?

paisa_sandia

New

Post by paisa_sandia » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:59 pm

LSAT = 75%
25<GPA<50%
I've mentioned this once here, but I did my undergrad at Bama and am currently leaning toward it for law school as well.

I knew many people in the law school well when I was in UG, and I can honestly tell you that it's a pretty liberal place, overall, and very unlike what you might think of as "Alabama culture" if you're not from here. That's not to say it doesn't have a strong sense of Southern identity, because it does, but not of the "extremely religious and extremely conservative" variety. Are there religious folks and conservatives here? Absolutely. But they are not anywhere near the majority, and you'll probably find that by visiting. And, for what it's worth, I myself am pretty left too, and have always felt that I'd fit in quite well.

I also love Tuscaloosa, and I don't know a single person who lives there who doesn't. Like most towns, it's really the people that make it, but you really find your own niche pretty easily.

Mike_Ross

New

Post by Mike_Ross » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:48 pm

Does anyone know if admission to Emory and a full ride from UF would work for scholarship negotiation? Not quite sure how to go about it. Especially because Emory hasn't given me any $$ information yet. I really liked the visit to the school and how hard they've recruited.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Chipotle85

Bronze

Post by Chipotle85 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:14 pm

Mike_Ross wrote:Does anyone know if admission to Emory and a full ride from UF would work for scholarship negotiation? Not quite sure how to go about it. Especially because Emory hasn't given me any $$ information yet. I really liked the visit to the school and how hard they've recruited.
Doubt that admission to Emory without any mention of money will do much, but a full ride to UF can probably be persuasive.

Mike_Ross

New

Post by Mike_Ross » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:24 pm

Chipotle85 wrote:
Mike_Ross wrote:Does anyone know if admission to Emory and a full ride from UF would work for scholarship negotiation? Not quite sure how to go about it. Especially because Emory hasn't given me any $$ information yet. I really liked the visit to the school and how hard they've recruited.
Doubt that admission to Emory without any mention of money will do much, but a full ride to UF can probably be persuasive.
I should hear from Emory about money before march 15. Should I wait until that, or just go a head and use the UF money? And would Alabama money be able to be used to get more at Emory?

Chipotle85

Bronze

Post by Chipotle85 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:46 pm

Mike_Ross wrote:
Chipotle85 wrote:
I should hear from Emory about money before march 15. Should I wait until that, or just go a head and use the UF money? And would Alabama money be able to be used to get more at Emory?
PM'd you.

paisa_sandia

New

Post by paisa_sandia » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:58 pm

Waltzed into the admissions office today, and the Associate Dean of Admissions happened to be in her office and gave me a full tour of the place. I hadn't expected that at all, and was pretty blown away by how personable and eager they were to talk to me. She even followed up with an email linking to resources for some of the career opportunities we had discussed. Pretty neat, I have to say.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BostonOrBust

Bronze

Post by BostonOrBust » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:04 pm

Got my admissions packet today and was SO impressed, though I had to laugh that they bubble wrapped it. The notes were amazing. Clearly admissions knows what they're doing.

If they could only find a job for my significant other they might have me wooed.

tncats

Bronze

Post by tncats » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:32 am

I was admitted with a decent scholarship this week, and I'm so happy! Does anyone have an opinion on whether it's better to visit on a regular day or on an admitted student open house day?

paisa_sandia

New

Post by paisa_sandia » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:51 pm

tncats wrote:I was admitted with a decent scholarship this week, and I'm so happy! Does anyone have an opinion on whether it's better to visit on a regular day or on an admitted student open house day?
I'm sure you'd get more out of an open house where you can meet other students and there are planned events, but you could certainly just walk in and someone will probably make time for you. I posted above that I just strolled in unannounced on a random Friday afternoon and the Dean of Admissions gave me a full tour. They're very accommodating.

areyn22

New

Post by areyn22 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:16 pm

paisa_sandia wrote:
tncats wrote:I was admitted with a decent scholarship this week, and I'm so happy! Does anyone have an opinion on whether it's better to visit on a regular day or on an admitted student open house day?
I'm sure you'd get more out of an open house where you can meet other students and there are planned events, but you could certainly just walk in and someone will probably make time for you. I posted above that I just strolled in unannounced on a random Friday afternoon and the Dean of Admissions gave me a full tour. They're very accommodating.
Actually, if you email admissions and ask to set up a day to come visit, they'll pretty much set you up with a whole day's worth of events. I scheduled a day to come visit because they offered to pay for my hotel and it was driving distance from Atlanta, but really just anticipated that I'd do a tour of the school and meet with admissions. Not so! They sent me an itinerary with events such as a driving tour of campus, meeting with the director of the clinics program, meeting with two different professors, lunch with current students (which the school pays for), etc. There were a couple of other admitted students coming the same day as me and all of them had similar schedules arranged for them.

I was happy I went for a more personalized visit. I feel like I got more time to interact with admissions and current students one-on-one. They do a really good job of selling the school. Admissions director had my resume out on her desk with annotations while we were chatting; they take the time to get to know you as a candidate/potential student and want to sell the school based on your specific interests.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tncats

Bronze

Post by tncats » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:06 pm

areyn22 wrote:
paisa_sandia wrote:
Actually, if you email admissions and ask to set up a day to come visit, they'll pretty much set you up with a whole day's worth of events. I scheduled a day to come visit because they offered to pay for my hotel and it was driving distance from Atlanta, but really just anticipated that I'd do a tour of the school and meet with admissions. Not so! They sent me an itinerary with events such as a driving tour of campus, meeting with the director of the clinics program, meeting with two different professors, lunch with current students (which the school pays for), etc. There were a couple of other admitted students coming the same day as me and all of them had similar schedules arranged for them.

I was happy I went for a more personalized visit. I feel like I got more time to interact with admissions and current students one-on-one. They do a really good job of selling the school. Admissions director had my resume out on her desk with annotations while we were chatting; they take the time to get to know you as a candidate/potential student and want to sell the school based on your specific interests.
Thanks for the input! I think I'll try to set up an individual day. Your experience sounds really helpful and nice!

areyn22

New

Post by areyn22 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:31 am

tncats wrote:
Thanks for the input! I think I'll try to set up an individual day. Your experience sounds really helpful and nice!
It was! I have nothing but good things to say about the admissions staff. That being said, I don't think I'll end up going here - but the visit to the school really made me think about it. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions!

atp123

New

Post by atp123 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:30 pm

I'm really impressed with Alabama so far, and am going to the admitted student weekend this upcoming weekend. The only thing I am worried about is the ability to get a job out of state. I really do not want to stay in Alabama, and I know the majority of students do stay in the state after graduation. I would want to stay in the Southeast, possibly Atlanta or Charlotte. Does anyone know of others who have gone to UA and gone out of state for a job?

Chipotle85

Bronze

Post by Chipotle85 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:46 pm

atp123 wrote:I'm really impressed with Alabama so far, and am going to the admitted student weekend this upcoming weekend. The only thing I am worried about is the ability to get a job out of state. I really do not want to stay in Alabama, and I know the majority of students do stay in the state after graduation. I would want to stay in the Southeast, possibly Atlanta or Charlotte. Does anyone know of others who have gone to UA and gone out of state for a job?
Yes, know people who got jobs in NYC, Charlotte, and Miami from Bama

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”