University of Alabama c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Gold

Re: University of Alabama c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by 20170322 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:58 pm

I wonder if the new AG will pref Bama grads

jas230314

New

Post by jas230314 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:52 pm

I was wondering about whether Sessions would have any effect job wise for Alabama grads too. Maybe that's just optimism.

Who else is gearing up for the ASD coming up this week? I'm excited to be going!

cyclawps

Bronze

Post by cyclawps » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:56 pm

SweetTort wrote:I wonder if the new AG will pref Bama grads
How much will Sessions as AG affect applicants' decisions to matriculate? I haven't heard anything from the school about his nomination or confirmation. A little odd?

edit: grammar

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:51 pm

cyclawps wrote:
SweetTort wrote:I wonder if the new AG will pref Bama grads
How much will Sessions as AG affect applicants' decisions to matriculate? I haven't heard anything from the school about his nomination or confirmation. A little odd?

edit: grammar
Tbh I think they're embarassed

paisa_sandia

New

Post by paisa_sandia » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:31 pm

jas230314 wrote:I was wondering about whether Sessions would have any effect job wise for Alabama grads too. Maybe that's just optimism.

Who else is gearing up for the ASD coming up this week? I'm excited to be going!
I'll be there! Anyone doing the dinner on Thurs? The restaurant is suppose to be pretty good.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jas230314

New

Post by jas230314 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:41 pm

paisa_sandia wrote:
jas230314 wrote:I was wondering about whether Sessions would have any effect job wise for Alabama grads too. Maybe that's just optimism.

I'll be there! Anyone doing the dinner on Thurs? The restaurant is suppose to be pretty good.
I am signed up for the dinner as well! Looking forward to see you there! If you want to hang out the day of the dinner, I'll be in town all day (early flight), so just let me know!

Mike_Ross

New

Post by Mike_Ross » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:17 pm

jas230314 wrote:
paisa_sandia wrote:

I am signed up for the dinner as well! Looking forward to see you there! If you want to hang out the day of the dinner, I'll be in town all day (early flight), so just let me know!
I'm going to the dinner as well. Pretty excited to see the school again.

atp123

New

Post by atp123 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:23 pm

Mike_Ross wrote:
jas230314 wrote:
paisa_sandia wrote:

I'll also be at the dinner on Thursday! Are any of you flying in around 2?

jas230314

New

Post by jas230314 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:34 pm

atp123 wrote:
Mike_Ross wrote:
jas230314 wrote:
paisa_sandia wrote:

I'll be landing in AL around 11:00am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mike_Ross

New

Post by Mike_Ross » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:12 pm

atp123 wrote:
Mike_Ross wrote:
jas230314 wrote:
paisa_sandia wrote:

I'm driving down and won't get there until around 5.

law_less14

New

Post by law_less14 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:17 pm

For anyone who went to the open house yesterday, care to share your thoughts/impressions/concerns?

onecallthats all

Bronze

Post by onecallthats all » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:11 am

My app has been Under Review since 1/31. How long are apps typically under review until you get a response?

Thanks!

thewhalefish

New

Post by thewhalefish » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:25 am

Alabama native (Birmingham) and UAB (Alabama at Birmingham) UG senior here. Please don't come to Alabama. Seriously. Alabama, and Tuscaloosa especially, is an awful, dirty place full of rednecks that are racist as shit. Not to mention the most unpredictable weather ever. I will never understand why people want to come to Alabama.

I know this sounds like an exaggeration, but it really isn't. Roll tide.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

paisa_sandia

New

Post by paisa_sandia » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:32 am

thewhalefish wrote:Alabama native (Birmingham) and UAB (Alabama at Birmingham) UG senior here. Please don't come to Alabama. Seriously. Alabama, and Tuscaloosa especially, is an awful, dirty place full of rednecks that are racist as shit. Not to mention the most unpredictable weather ever. I will never understand why people want to come to Alabama.

At the risk of sounding like I'm discounting your experiences, I think your overall assessment of the state is immensely wrong. In fact, having spent a great deal of time in this state between school and family, I've found it's remarkably rare to come across anyone who either feels the way you do or is the type of "redneck" to which you are referring.

If you've had a series a bad experiences in the past that have led you to feel the way you do about Alabama, I find that incredibly sad and regrettable. But, at least in the schools and universities here, there are far more people whose aspirations are to eliminate the elements of "backwardness" that you alluded to than there are those who embrace it. I don't think your perspective is shared by many who live here, even if it is by some who do not.

areyn22

New

Post by areyn22 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:17 pm

paisa_sandia wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:Alabama native (Birmingham) and UAB (Alabama at Birmingham) UG senior here. Please don't come to Alabama. Seriously. Alabama, and Tuscaloosa especially, is an awful, dirty place full of rednecks that are racist as shit. Not to mention the most unpredictable weather ever. I will never understand why people want to come to Alabama.

At the risk of sounding like I'm discounting your experiences, I think your overall assessment of the state is immensely wrong. In fact, having spent a great deal of time in this state between school and family, I've found it's remarkably rare to come across anyone who either feels the way you do or is the type of "redneck" to which you are referring.

If you've had a series a bad experiences in the past that have led you to feel the way you do about Alabama, I find that incredibly sad and regrettable. But, at least in the schools and universities here, there are far more people whose aspirations are to eliminate the elements of "backwardness" that you alluded to than there are those who embrace it. I don't think your perspective is shared by many who live here, even if it is by some who do not.
While I'm sure there are plenty of "racist rednecks" in Tuscaloosa (and Alabama), it's also a college town with a large and diverse student body population. I'd wager that there's a definite conservative lean to said student body (and likely the law school in general), but I wouldn't generalize T-town as being "full of racist rednecks." You'll get those pretty much everywhere in the South.

That being said, I'd recommend a visit to Tuscaloosa just to see how you like it (as I'd recommend with any law school).

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:28 pm

Please keep in mind that this forum is for exchanging information about acceptances, etc., it's not the place to discuss the merits of a school. Thanks.

Chipotle85

Bronze

Post by Chipotle85 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:02 pm

How was the weekend for students that attended?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ska_lool

New

Post by Ska_lool » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:03 pm

Friday was the first admitted student event I had been to for any school, but I really enjoyed myself and the school was great. Again, I don't have much in the way of reference points, but I was just so impressed with how enthusiastic and friendly everyone was. Even students who I casually ran into apart from those who were clearly enlisted to be ambassadors really went out of their way to sell me and others on UA.

I was also shocked by how many alumni were there, many of whom had the exact career path I imagined for myself, which I wasn't sure would be accessible to me at UA. Quite a nice surprise all in all, and it's much higher on my list than I had anticipated it would be coming out of this weekend.

thewhalefish

New

Post by thewhalefish » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:50 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Please keep in mind that this forum is for exchanging information about acceptances, etc., it's not the place to discuss the merits of a school. Thanks.
Sorry. Just putting my two cents in.

atp123

New

Post by atp123 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:05 pm

Chipotle85 wrote:How was the weekend for students that attended?
I wasn't sure what to expect going into the weekend, but I surprisingly loved it there. The law school really went above and beyond in my opinion. We started off the weekend with a dinner at a nice restaurant where they brought current students and placed them throughout the table with admitted students. I had great conversations with a 1L and a 3L student, both of whom had nothing but great things to say about the school.

On Saturday, they brought in alumni from several states and held panel discussions with several alumni in government, litigation, business law, and public interest law. The people I spoke with, both alumni and 3L students with jobs lined up, seemed to have no trouble finding employment out of state if that is a concern for anyone. The professors were extremely down to earth and willing to answer questions and talk with potential students.

The students seemed to be one large group of friends. Students said while the grading system naturally causes some competition, the students there go out of their way to help each other. Several students said if they missed a class, 4 or 5 classmates would send them the notes before they could even ask anyone. It seemed to have a really great atmosphere, and after this weekend I think it may be my top school.

cjar819

New

Post by cjar819 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:21 am

+1

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

onecallthats all

Bronze

Post by onecallthats all » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:09 pm

As riveting as this candid discussion is on the alleged bigotry of the student body of 'Bama, can anybody answer my question?? :shock:

I have been in review since 1/31 and still have not heard anything back. How long were other people "in review" for? Thanks!!

tncats

Bronze

Post by tncats » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:17 pm

onecallthats all wrote:As riveting as this candid discussion is on the alleged bigotry of the student body of 'Bama, can anybody answer my question?? :shock:

I have been in review since 1/31 and still have not heard anything back. How long were other people "in review" for? Thanks!!
I was under review for two months.

onecallthats all

Bronze

Post by onecallthats all » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:22 pm

tncats wrote:
onecallthats all wrote:As riveting as this candid discussion is on the alleged bigotry of the student body of 'Bama, can anybody answer my question?? :shock:

I was under review for two months.
Good god...

Thank you for your response! I suppose I should prepare for the long haul.

areyn22

New

Post by areyn22 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:25 pm

About three weeks for me. I applied the first week in December (I think...)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”