University of Washington School of Law c/o 2020 ::app cycle 2016/2017:: Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

First TLS'er to blackout/puke at Finn's? (This does not condone binge-drinking).

jasonoh11
11%
mcmand
11%
PDX4343
11%
Khalid1994aziz
No votes
TakeitToTrial
11%
Rozez
No votes
170orDie
11%
Nught
11%
Capt_Beatty
33%
other/(poll only allows 10 options)
No votes

Total votes: 9

Capt_Beatty

Bronze

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2020 ::app cycle 2016/2017::

Post by Capt_Beatty » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:41 pm

monotonemr wrote:Really hurts, but I'm withdrawing today. Can't justify going so far away from home without Gregoire. Hopefully my scholarship money goes down to one of you!
Bummer

[youtube]5rOiW_xY-kc[/youtube]

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:47 pm

monotonemr wrote:Really hurts, but I'm withdrawing today. Can't justify going so far away from home without Gregoire. Hopefully my scholarship money goes down to one of you!
Pouring one out for the fallen homie. Best of luck elsewhere!

Capt_Beatty

Bronze

Post by Capt_Beatty » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:08 pm

emeraldsea

New

Post by emeraldsea » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:42 pm

I went back to Dean Le's scholarship update email because I'm confused about the timeline.

"we will reevaluate your application after April 15 when the second round of scholarships will be issued"

So, are second round scholarships being issued tomorrow or after April 15?

Does anyone know when recipients of first round scholarships are required to accept/decline? (This might shed some light on the second round timeline.)

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:13 pm

emeraldsea wrote:I went back to Dean Le's scholarship update email because I'm confused about the timeline.

"we will reevaluate your application after April 15 when the second round of scholarships will be issued"

So, are second round scholarships being issued tomorrow or after April 15?

Does anyone know when recipients of first round scholarships are required to accept/decline? (This might shed some light on the second round timeline.)
I got a scholarship about a week after the initial wave and my deadline to accept is the 15th. I'm fairly certain that's everyone's deadline. I would plan on hearing back next week sometime.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

emeraldsea

New

Post by emeraldsea » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:06 pm

PDX4343 wrote: I got a scholarship about a week after the initial wave and my deadline to accept is the 15th. I'm fairly certain that's everyone's deadline. I would plan on hearing back next week sometime.
Thanks, this is exactly the info I was looking for. Much appreciated.

shawn87654321

New

Post by shawn87654321 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:24 pm

Withdrew today. Hopefully it frees up some scholarship money ($45k) for those of you coming from out of state!

Nught

New

Post by Nught » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:51 am

I was accepted a month ago with a 151 LSAT. No scholarship money first round (no surprise), but I do get in state tuition (90K), and I do get to split that in half because I am a veteran (so 45K). That feels like a pretty huge win. Am I greedy to hope for an additional 10K reoccurring scholly? I was also Reserve Grouped at Columbia. I don't think I'll make it off of the Reserve group, but if I did, It would be hard to say no.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:16 pm

Last edited by mcmand on Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nught

New

Post by Nught » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:23 am

mcmand wrote:
Nught wrote:I was accepted a month ago with a 151 LSAT. No scholarship money first round (no surprise), but I do get in state tuition (90K), and I do get to split that in half because I am a veteran (so 45K). That feels like a pretty huge win. Am I greedy to hope for an additional 10K reoccurring scholly? I was also Reserve Grouped at Columbia. I don't think I'll make it off of the Reserve group, but if I did, It would be hard to say no.
:roll:

In all seriousness though, I saw your other post. You need to put a deposit down, regardless of how unsure you are, unless you are Columbia or bust and you are going to retake the LSAT and try again next year.
I agree. I'm putting my seat deposit down next week, and if Columbia were to say yes later on, I'd forfeit my deposit. I'm not taking the LSAT again, although I can do much better, and I'm not waiting until next year. I fully expect to end up at UW, and I'm very happy to have made it in. Depending on the strength of my first year performance, I'll consider applying for transfer to one of the T5 schools.

Which other post are you referring to?

BobBoblaw

Bronze

Post by BobBoblaw » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:03 am

Nught wrote:I was accepted a month ago with a 151 LSAT. No scholarship money first round (no surprise), but I do get in state tuition (90K), and I do get to split that in half because I am a veteran (so 45K). That feels like a pretty huge win. Am I greedy to hope for an additional 10K reoccurring scholly? I was also Reserve Grouped at Columbia. I don't think I'll make it off of the Reserve group, but if I did, It would be hard to say no.

The stats for columbia reserve group are really low. Igual think only about 2% are offered admission. Your LSAT is super low even for UW. I congratulate you on Your acceptance but you really shouldnt even be thinking of Columbia a real possibility. If I was punching as far above my numbers as you seem to be, id be in at HYS. You should be thrilled with your results.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:54 pm

Last edited by mcmand on Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nught

New

Post by Nught » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:31 pm

BobBoblaw wrote:

The stats for columbia reserve group are really low. Igual think only about 2% are offered admission. Your LSAT is super low even for UW. I congratulate you on Your acceptance but you really shouldnt even be thinking of Columbia a real possibility. If I was punching as far above my numbers as you seem to be, id be in at HYS. You should be thrilled with your results.
I am punching high, and I am thrilled with my results, but I have very strong softs, I will make Columbia tell me no before I tell myself no. I hear you though, I most likely will be happily at UW this fall.
Last edited by Nught on Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nught

New

Post by Nught » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:33 pm

mcmand wrote:
Nught wrote:
mcmand wrote:

In all seriousness though, I saw your other post. You need to put a deposit down, regardless of how unsure you are, unless you are Columbia or bust and you are going to retake the LSAT and try again next year.
I agree. I'm putting my seat deposit down next week, and if Columbia were to say yes later on, I'd forfeit my deposit. I'm not taking the LSAT again, although I can do much better, and I'm not waiting until next year. I fully expect to end up at UW, and I'm very happy to have made it in. Depending on the strength of my first year performance, I'll consider applying for transfer to one of the T5 schools.

The other one in another thread where you posted about the same thing but were inquiring whether to actually deposit or not. That post seemed on point. This one felt more like braggadocio, which is why I included the eyeroll emoticon.
LOL. Sorry. I don't mean to be braggadocio, I'm just very happy with my position. This entire process has been stressful for all of us I'm sure.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:01 pm

Last edited by mcmand on Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nught

New

Post by Nught » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:36 pm

mcmand wrote:
Nught wrote:
mcmand wrote:
Nught wrote:
mcmand wrote:

The other one in another thread where you posted about the same thing but were inquiring whether to actually deposit or not. That post seemed on point. This one felt more like braggadocio, which is why I included the eyeroll emoticon.
LOL. Sorry. I don't mean to be braggadocio, I'm just very happy with my position. This entire process has been stressful for all of us I'm sure.
It is stressful. I sympathize, I was miserable when applying for law school. But from my 3L eyes, it only gets more stressful. And it causes other people stress in law school when a handful of folks go around bragging about things they've achieved on Facebook, social media, or even talking among peers. Celebrate your wins, but don't beat your chest about it everywhere you go. I've made that mistake, and I've also seen others do it. At best, it's frowned upon by fellow students. It's a quick way to lose friends. You want supportive collaborators in law school, not people who resent your success. People will be happy for you, but not if you have to tell them about it and remind them of how good you are.

Best way to handle this sort of thing in the future is to update your LinkedIn/resume and then let your achievements speak for themselves, while still being a team player on group outlines and other study efforts, etc. Everyone appreciates humility with success.

I just had this convo with a 2L last week who learned my GPA and realized/said he was "coming down to my level" since his grades had been dropping since 1L. He felt reassured that I already have a job for after graduation. My grades are lower than his, and thus in his mind, things will work out for him. That may or may not be a valid inference, but it's definitely a dick-ish thing to say among a group of students at happy hour, some of whom are still job-hunting for 2L summer. An hour after that conversation, one of his classmates messaged me telling me how much they disliked that guy because apparently that wasn't the first time he said arrogant things like that. You don't want to be that guy that people text about saying "what a dick." It won't help you in your practice as a lawyer when your future colleagues (or potential references at any firm/agency considering hiring you) all remember the arrogant stuff you said to them in law school.
Yikes bro settle down. I didn't beat my chest. Yale said no, Harvard said no, NYU said no, Chicago said no, Berkeley said no, Penn said no, Michigan said no, Duke said no, and on and on. I got a 151 on the LSAT. I have, however, been accepted by other schools. The point is I wasn't bragging, I was happy, surprised, and sharing my situation. I think you read me wrong.

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Post by TakeItToTrial » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:15 am

You're already winning, bruh. It never hurts to ask, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. Thank you for your service.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Post by TakeItToTrial » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:22 am

Nught wrote:
BobBoblaw wrote:

I am punching high, and I am thrilled with my results, but I have very strong softs, I will make Columbia tell me no before I tell myself no. I hear you though, I most likely will be happily at UW this fall.
I doubt Columbia would a better move for you. You would probably have to pay significantly more and the competition would be much tougher.

Nught

New

Post by Nught » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:28 am

TakeItToTrial wrote:
Nught wrote:
BobBoblaw wrote:

I doubt Columbia would a better move for you. You would probably have to pay significantly more and the competition would be much tougher.
I would have to pay significantly more. It would honestly be a very tough decision.

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Post by TakeItToTrial » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:02 pm

Nught wrote:
TakeItToTrial wrote:
Nught wrote:
BobBoblaw wrote:

I would have to pay significantly more. It would honestly be a very tough decision.
In all likelihood, it's a decision you won't even be faced with. Good luck!

emeraldsea

New

Post by emeraldsea » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:35 pm

Anyone seeing any round two scholarship movement today?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Has anyone else filled out the form to accept your scholarship offer but not heard anything back yet? My deadline passed over the weekend but they haven't confirmed they received my completed form yet. Just wondering if I'm not the only one.

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Post by TakeItToTrial » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:57 am

PDX4343 wrote:Has anyone else filled out the form to accept your scholarship offer but not heard anything back yet? My deadline passed over the weekend but they haven't confirmed they received my completed form yet. Just wondering if I'm not the only one.
I didn't hear anything back either, so I emailed Dean Le. He said they were having problems with the admissions office email account. I would email him telling you submitted your signed award and would like confirmation of receipt.

rozes

New

Post by rozes » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:42 am

UW Admissions sent me a birthday card. I must admit...that was a rather nice touch that I wasn't expecting.

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:10 am

TakeItToTrial wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:Has anyone else filled out the form to accept your scholarship offer but not heard anything back yet? My deadline passed over the weekend but they haven't confirmed they received my completed form yet. Just wondering if I'm not the only one.
I didn't hear anything back either, so I emailed Dean Le. He said they were having problems with the admissions office email account. I would email him telling you submitted your signed award and would like confirmation of receipt.
Thanks, I ended up sending him an email this afternoon. Glad to hear it's not just me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”