University of Washington School of Law c/o 2020 ::app cycle 2016/2017:: Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

First TLS'er to blackout/puke at Finn's? (This does not condone binge-drinking).

jasonoh11
11%
mcmand
11%
PDX4343
11%
Khalid1994aziz
No votes
TakeitToTrial
11%
Rozez
No votes
170orDie
11%
Nught
11%
Capt_Beatty
33%
other/(poll only allows 10 options)
No votes

Total votes: 9

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2020 ::app cycle 2016/2017::

Post by TakeItToTrial » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:12 pm

connordalto wrote:I just confirmed my scholly and looks like imma be attending UW for my JD! My next step is housing.. I'm coming from out of state so I'm pretty clueless and also on the roommate search. Feel free to pm me if you guys get any leads!
My dad and I are looking at houses in the area. He might buy one as an investment and then sell after I graduate. We could get a TLS house going lol.

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Post by TakeItToTrial » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:21 pm

mcmand wrote:
TakeItToTrial wrote:I was impressed with the important aspects of the ASW, the faculty, the programs, and the current students. The law school building is beautiful, although I wish they gave us a more thorough tour. I also wish we toured other parts of campus, such as the rec center.

It would have been nice if they had used the tour or other activities to give us more of a break between presentations. I found myself losing my attention span at some points (this could also have been because I caught a red-eye flight the night before).

I'm sold. I just need to make sure it's financially feasible. Fingers crossed for a scholly bump!
The IMA (rec center) is a 15 minute walk down a big hill, adjacent to the stadium, and then you'd have to walk back up, which is its own workout up 300 steps of stairs. Thankfully, there are showers at the law school if you do morning workouts and then go to class. (Not sure if that's on the tour, but they're convenient and they are private.) The IMA is a very nice facility that you automatically pay for as a fee on your tuition (no opt-out), so if you don't have a gym, it's pretty valuable.

The rest of campus is quite large. You can't cover it thoroughly in an hour, and there's a lot of other stuff to cover just at the law school (as you experienced). Honestly, you won't spend much time outside of the law school, absent circumstances like taking non-law-school classes, opting to study in a different location, or going to campus events outside the law school. So there isn't a ton of value in showing it to you. I'll say the rest of campus is quite beautiful and enjoyable to walk through in its own right, though!
Okay, that makes sense. Maybe I'll pop over there and give myself a campus tour. We really didn't see that much of the law school either, however. I saw more on a self-guided tour I took last month. I'm still excited to potentially be a Dawg.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:23 pm

Last edited by mcmand on Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Post by TakeItToTrial » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:55 pm

mcmand wrote:I'm giving a tour of the law school next Wednesday April 12 and then Wednesday May 10. Sign up through the website and I'll show you the showers and the journal offices.
I would, but I've taken a lot of time off work recently. If I can schedule my meeting with the Residence Classification Office earlier in the day, then I'll definitely take you up on your offer.

Ashleighjarm

New

Post by Ashleighjarm » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:53 pm

Dean Le's email said Gregoire decisions would come out this week. Has anybody who applied for it heard either way?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

connordalto

Bronze

Post by connordalto » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:03 pm

TakeItToTrial wrote:
connordalto wrote:I just confirmed my scholly and looks like imma be attending UW for my JD! My next step is housing.. I'm coming from out of state so I'm pretty clueless and also on the roommate search. Feel free to pm me if you guys get any leads!
My dad and I are looking at houses in the area. He might buy one as an investment and then sell after I graduate. We could get a TLS house going lol.
Ayy that would be awesome. Let me know what you end up doing!

kcpo92

New

Post by kcpo92 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:41 pm

Ashleighjarm wrote:Dean Le's email said Gregoire decisions would come out this week. Has anybody who applied for it heard either way?
I got a phone call from the dean and an offer for Gregoire...just trying to figure out how significant/important the offer is. I have been waitlisted to (B.C., USC, Virginia), not sure if I should even pursue those options.

Khalid1994aziz

New

Post by Khalid1994aziz » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:07 am

TakeItToTrial wrote:
This would be nice

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:01 am

Last edited by mcmand on Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Capt_Beatty

Bronze

Post by Capt_Beatty » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:35 pm

mcmand wrote:
kcpo92 wrote:
Ashleighjarm wrote:Dean Le's email said Gregoire decisions would come out this week. Has anybody who applied for it heard either way?
I got a phone call from the dean and an offer for Gregoire...just trying to figure out how significant/important the offer is. I have been waitlisted to (B.C., USC, Virginia), not sure if I should even pursue those options.
That depends. I think it's huge. You get a guaranteed 1L summer job with top employers - you just have to impress the ones you want so they rank you the same way you rank them. That 1L gig will pave the way for you in OCI to a lot of other great opportunities. Most other students at UW and at most other law schools would kill for that kind of ease of access to great legal employment opportunities.

But I see you were admitted to GWU in your one other post. That presents a different set of opportunities, and your decision depends on what you want out of your legal education and where you want to be geographically speaking.

If you want to work in the PNW, and if you want access to in-house at companies and major firms for employment here in the PNW, you'd be a fool to turn down Gregoire. Even if you have other plans in mind, it will be a great stepping stone. But if you are really gung ho on DC or something like that, then that may be a different calculus.
Did he, if no confidentiality was stated, give you a deadline to accept? Wonder if there are Gregoire alts. (me? optimistically).

Capt_Beatty

Bronze

Post by Capt_Beatty » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:11 pm

largemarge26 wrote:
I went to UW for my UG so if you have any general questions about Seattle/ the area feel free to PM me! I have been living here for 5 years now and I adore Seattle (and UW).
I have a question about Montlake and Eastlake/surrounding areas. It seems the 70 is about a 15-20 minute commute? Are these areas as accessible as neighborhood North and West of Gates Hall?

emeraldsea

New

Post by emeraldsea » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:56 pm

Capt_Beatty wrote:
I have a question about Montlake and Eastlake/surrounding areas. It seems the 70 is about a 15-20 minute commute? Are these areas as accessible as neighborhood North and West of Gates Hall?
Fair warning: I am from here so I am giving a long-winded answer.

(For others) some context: there's a BIG hill next to (east of) downtown called Capitol Hill. It's a vibrant, popular place to live. Bordering Capitol Hill's north slope are the slightly more affordable neighborhoods of Eastlake and Montlake. On a map, these neighborhoods look next to Capitol Hill, but it's better to think of them as below Capitol Hill.

(The lake part of both neighborhood's names might have hinted as this. Confusingly, they refer to different lakes. Eastlake is east of Lake Union. Montlake is west of Lake Washington. But Eastlake is on the west side of Capitol Hill and Montlake is on the east side of Lake Washington. The takeaway here is that our city is beautiful and also lots of water has contributed to our notorious traffic issue. It can be hard/take long to get around town.)

Eastlake is a bit further isolated because I-5 runs along the west slope of Capitol Hill, so there's not as much thru-traffic. The neighborhood is bounded on the west by the lake and on the east by the freeway, so you're really only entering/exiting by either end. Good news: UW is right across the canal from the north end of Eastlake. It's a pretty easy bike ride. I took my LSAT prep class in the U District last summer and biked from downtown to the U District through Eastlake and that ride maybe took me 20/25 minutes and it's way longer (and I'm a cautious rider!).

Montlake is also very close to UW, again the campus is just to the north of this neighborhood, across the canal. The issue here is that between the two is a freeway exchange (520 which runs east-west to Bellevue and I-5 which runs north-south) plus Husky Stadium. Car traffic is guaranteed here every night of the week. Bad news: we'll all be in the library til 9 pm anyway during 1L, so maybe this won't be an issue.

Both neighborhoods have a cute, small strip of businesses. Eastlake's is on the eponymous street. Montlake's is on 24th Ave.

Bus time estimates are going to range greatly depending on time of day. I'd suggest planning a trip on Google Maps at the time of day you think you'll be travelling to get a more realistic estimate. Also, a bike might be your best bet from these neighborhoods. It's a pretty flat ride. When it rains, get some fenders.

--

Oh, second part of your question: north of UW gets pretty residential/sleepier (Ravenna). The U-District is west/north and I think of it is as mainly for undergrads, but that's probably because it's where my friends from high school lived when they went to UW for college. Ultimately, I think affordability may drive your choice more so than accessibility, but I don't know you situation so perhaps not. U District you can walk to campus pretty easily. If you cross I-5 into Wallingford, you might want to consider bike/bus.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:01 pm

Last edited by mcmand on Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:53 pm

Just got an emailed scholarship offer from Dean Le after not getting anything in the first round! 45k and that's enough for me to attend. Looks like my cycle is over.

ckb614

New

Post by ckb614 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:16 pm

If you're worried about cost, a shared old house is a much better choice than a 1br. You can get a room in the $700 range not too far from the school. The new buildings in Roosevelt, Wallingford and Green Lake are going for 1500+ for a studio. These neighborhoods are a great as they are close to campus and have their own restaurants,bars,etc without being overrun with undergrads, plus easy access to green lake and woodland park if you like to get outside a lot

Ashleighjarm

New

Post by Ashleighjarm » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:12 pm

PDX4343 wrote:Just got an emailed scholarship offer from Dean Le after not getting anything in the first round! 45k and that's enough for me to attend. Looks like my cycle is over.
Can I PM you some questions?

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Post by TakeItToTrial » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:24 pm

PDX4343 wrote:Just got an emailed scholarship offer from Dean Le after not getting anything in the first round! 45k and that's enough for me to attend. Looks like my cycle is over.
Congrats bruh, to you and to UW!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:39 pm

Ashleighjarm wrote:
Can I PM you some questions?
Sure happy to answer whatever.

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:40 pm

TakeItToTrial wrote:
Thanks man, see you this fall?

BobBoblaw

Bronze

Post by BobBoblaw » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:43 pm

It's that 45k per year or for all three years?

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Post by TakeItToTrial » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:47 pm

PDX4343 wrote:
TakeItToTrial wrote:
That's to be determined. I'm having a really hard time turning down the full ride from Oregon. If UW were to bump my scholarship up even a just little bit, I would deposit.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:56 pm

TakeItToTrial wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
TakeItToTrial wrote:
That's to be determined. I'm having a really hard time turning down the full ride from Oregon. If UW were to bump my scholarship up even a just little bit, I would deposit.
Yeah a full ride would be pretty hard to pass up. Hopefully they bump you up a bit in the second round of scholarships.

khaleesi_k

New

Post by khaleesi_k » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:44 pm

Did anyone go to Admitted Students Weekend? What were your guys's impressions? I couldn't make it but I have to decide between there and Irvine pretty soon and I'm curious to hear what people thought!

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Post by TakeItToTrial » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:10 am

khaleesi_k wrote:Did anyone go to Admitted Students Weekend? What were your guys's impressions? I couldn't make it but I have to decide between there and Irvine pretty soon and I'm curious to hear what people thought!
I posted my thoughts a couple pages ago. If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me.

monotonemr

New

Post by monotonemr » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:06 am

Really hurts, but I'm withdrawing today. Can't justify going so far away from home without Gregoire. Hopefully my scholarship money goes down to one of you!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”