UGA c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
areyn22

New

Re: UGA c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by areyn22 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:32 am

JRP1994 wrote:
areyn22 wrote:
JRP1994 wrote:I applied on February 16th and was accepted February 22nd. Still have heard nothing about merit scholarship. Is this normal?
Check your spam folder.
Did, didn't have anything. I emailed them and was told to submit my deposit early because they might have leftover money after scholarship awards are given out by April 1st. So apparently that means I got $0, which is disappointing.
That's weird. UGA has been stingier than other schools based on what I've heard but it seems like most people are getting at least a little bit of money. I'm thinking that it may be related to your applying later in the cycle? They just sent out a "scholarship commitment" email (essentially asking us all whether we're accepting our offer, still considering it, or turning it down) so it sounds like they're trying to gauge how many students with $$$ will actually take the money before they give out any more.

KtLaw747

New

Post by KtLaw747 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:36 pm

areyn22 wrote:
JRP1994 wrote:
areyn22 wrote:
JRP1994 wrote:I applied on February 16th and was accepted February 22nd. Still have heard nothing about merit scholarship. Is this normal?
Check your spam folder.
Did, didn't have anything. I emailed them and was told to submit my deposit early because they might have leftover money after scholarship awards are given out by April 1st. So apparently that means I got $0, which is disappointing.
That's weird. UGA has been stingier than other schools based on what I've heard but it seems like most people are getting at least a little bit of money. I'm thinking that it may be related to your applying later in the cycle? They just sent out a "scholarship commitment" email (essentially asking us all whether we're accepting our offer, still considering it, or turning it down) so it sounds like they're trying to gauge how many students with $$$ will actually take the money before they give out any more.
Wish they would make up their minds, while they are one of the least expensive schools to attend many other comparable schools are offering pretty decent scholarships even to us late cycle candidates. I just negotiated a scholarship increase from W&M and have a few scholarships at 50% so I'm anticipating at least something, but we shall see. Money isn't everything, but it's sure a major factor and they have to be aware of that.

Lasow

New

Post by Lasow » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:32 pm

Has anyone heard of or experience any WL movement yet?

KtLaw747

New

Post by KtLaw747 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:45 pm

Lasow wrote:Has anyone heard of or experience any WL movement yet?
I wouldn't expect to hear anything until after the first seat deposits due 4/15, unless a mass amount of people start withdrawing. Best of luck to you, and hope you get an offer!

SkateboardT

New

Post by SkateboardT » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:46 pm

Anybody have any luck using scholarships from other schools to negotiate a raise in scholarship at UGA?

Have a 90% from a school I'm certainly considering but that isn't in a location that I'm all that excited about.

Only at about 25% with UGA but I would probably be able to rationalize going there for 50% of sticker because I'm that much more interested in the location.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KtLaw747

New

Post by KtLaw747 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:28 am

SkateboardT wrote:Anybody have any luck using scholarships from other schools to negotiate a raise in scholarship at UGA?

Have a 90% from a school I'm certainly considering but that isn't in a location that I'm all that excited about.

Only at about 25% with UGA but I would probably be able to rationalize going there for 50% of sticker because I'm that much more interested in the location.
Let me know if you have any luck. Supposedly more money may be freed up after the 15th but they are being stingy.

areyn22

New

Post by areyn22 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:05 am

SkateboardT wrote:Anybody have any luck using scholarships from other schools to negotiate a raise in scholarship at UGA?

There's no harm in trying. Is the other school a "peer" school of UGA? I imagine scholarship offers from schools ranked similarly to UGA would be most effective. They are definitely being stingy but you could maybe get them to throw a little more money your way. It's definitely possible that they may wait until after the first deposit date, though, so that they have a better picture of which admitted students intend to accept the scholarship money they've been offered.

SkateboardT

New

Post by SkateboardT » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:55 pm

areyn22 wrote:

There's no harm in trying. Is the other school a "peer" school of UGA? I imagine scholarship offers from schools ranked similarly to UGA would be most effective. They are definitely being stingy but you could maybe get them to throw a little more money your way. It's definitely possible that they may wait until after the first deposit date, though, so that they have a better picture of which admitted students intend to accept the scholarship money they've been offered.
Yeah, they're within a few ranks of each other so it's certainly a peer school in that respect, but no geographically. I've heard scholarships from other GA schools can be used as leverage, but it remains to be seen how offers outside of GA will fare. I'll keep you all posted as I go through it.

KtLaw747

New

Post by KtLaw747 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:08 pm

SkateboardT wrote:
areyn22 wrote:

Yeah, they're within a few ranks of each other so it's certainly a peer school in that respect, but no geographically. I've heard scholarships from other GA schools can be used as leverage, but it remains to be seen how offers outside of GA will fare. I'll keep you all posted as I go through it.
Skate have you had any luck reaching Ramsey (dean of admission)? I'm in a similar boat with both GA and out of state offers but she is hard as hell to get ahold of it seems.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SkateboardT

New

Post by SkateboardT » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:10 pm

KtLaw747 wrote:
SkateboardT wrote:
areyn22 wrote:

Skate have you had any luck reaching Ramsey (dean of admission)? I'm in a similar boat with both GA and out of state offers but she is hard as hell to get ahold of it seems.
Not yet although I've been told by somebody who had successfully negotiated an increase that you need to just catch her at the right time, and if you can get a hold of her there's a chance for an increase.

Acrobatic Fox

New

Post by Acrobatic Fox » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:15 pm

SkateboardT wrote:
KtLaw747 wrote:
SkateboardT wrote:
areyn22 wrote:

Not yet although I've been told by somebody who had successfully negotiated an increase that you need to just catch her at the right time, and if you can get a hold of her there's a chance for an increase.

My experience with her was unsuccessful. Had more money from Bama, Indiana, and a couple other lower ranked schools (50-70) in the Southeast. Their response was to pay my deposit, and wait until they could see if they would have more money.

KtLaw747

New

Post by KtLaw747 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:20 pm

Acrobatic Fox wrote:
SkateboardT wrote:
KtLaw747 wrote:
SkateboardT wrote:
areyn22 wrote:

My experience with her was unsuccessful. Had more money from Bama, Indiana, and a couple other lower ranked schools (50-70) in the Southeast. Their response was to pay my deposit, and wait until they could see if they would have more money.
I have a feeling that's what I'm going to hear back. For now I'll settle with just a return phone call or email back.

LawBuckeye12

New

Post by LawBuckeye12 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:12 pm

KtLaw747 wrote:
Acrobatic Fox wrote:
SkateboardT wrote:
KtLaw747 wrote:
SkateboardT wrote:
areyn22 wrote:

I have a feeling that's what I'm going to hear back. For now I'll settle with just a return phone call or email back.
Haven't had a great experience communicating with UGA. Felt like they rushed me through a visit and when I emailed them asking for more info they said they would "get on it" and then I never heard back

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dirtyolmuskrat

New

Post by Dirtyolmuskrat » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:59 pm

Emailed today seeking a scholarship bump and got a phone call about an hour later saying they couldn't match, but maybe later they'll do something? Feel like they'll probably tack $5,000 a year to tuition equalization if I ask again.

KtLaw747

New

Post by KtLaw747 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:09 am

Dirtyolmuskrat wrote:Emailed today seeking a scholarship bump and got a phone call about an hour later saying they couldn't match, but maybe later they'll do something? Feel like they'll probably tack $5,000 a year to tuition equalization if I ask again.
Which email address did you send to? I can't even get a response back.

Dirtyolmuskrat

New

Post by Dirtyolmuskrat » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:49 pm

KtLaw747 wrote:
Dirtyolmuskrat wrote:Emailed today seeking a scholarship bump and got a phone call about an hour later saying they couldn't match, but maybe later they'll do something? Feel like they'll probably tack $5,000 a year to tuition equalization if I ask again.
Which email address did you send to? I can't even get a response back.
I sent it as a reply to my acceptance lol.

JRP1994

New

Post by JRP1994 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:47 pm

Who is the best person to speak with regarding scholarship negotiations? Ramsey Bridges? Dean Rutledge?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KtLaw747

New

Post by KtLaw747 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:05 pm

JRP1994 wrote:Who is the best person to speak with regarding scholarship negotiations? Ramsey Bridges? Dean Rutledge?
I've been speaking with Ramsey. I was told today that everyone accepted their scholarship so they aren't increasing anyone's award until after the first seat deposit. But take that with a grain of salt, I've heard hat before and still have seen people get money.

bigchiefhoho

New

Post by bigchiefhoho » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:22 pm

New ABA employment reports are up: http://www.law.uga.edu/university-georg ... statistics

Looks good, IMO. Full-time long-term bar-required jobs are up 6% from last year to 78.3% of grads. Biglaw is up 4.1% to 17.7%. Fed clerkships are about the same, as are public interest and small-firm jobs. Government jobs look to be up a little, too. Thoughts, anyone?

Also, anyone know what the expected class size is for 2020? Looks like they've been decreasing it a bit over the past few years, and I'm hoping that continues.

JRP1994

New

Post by JRP1994 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:11 pm

Attempted negotiation today. Received the following reply:

"Thank you for your email and continued interest in Georgia Law. We received an overwhelming number of positive responses to a scholarship commitment form we sent out in late March and will not be able to make any additional scholarship awards until after the April 15th first deposit deadline. I encourage you to pay your first deposit at Georgia Law if you have not already and then contact me after the deadline to see if additional funds are available."

areyn22

New

Post by areyn22 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:09 am

bigchiefhoho wrote:New ABA employment reports are up: http://www.law.uga.edu/university-georg ... statistics

Looks good, IMO. Full-time long-term bar-required jobs are up 6% from last year to 78.3% of grads. Biglaw is up 4.1% to 17.7%. Fed clerkships are about the same, as are public interest and small-firm jobs. Government jobs look to be up a little, too. Thoughts, anyone?

Also, anyone know what the expected class size is for 2020? Looks like they've been decreasing it a bit over the past few years, and I'm hoping that continues.
Thanks for sharing! I'd agree, these stats look pretty good. Even outside of bar-required jobs, it looks like only a few graduates were employed in the nebulous "non-professional" or "school-funded" categories. Interesting that the second-highest state of employment was Florida this year. That seems to change every year, though.

Not sure about the expected class size, tbh. I definitely wouldn't expect it to increase - UGA seems to have been pretty stingy with scholarship money and pretty strict in regards to keeping close to their LSAT/GPA medians with acceptances this year.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lasow

New

Post by Lasow » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:39 pm

Potential for waitlist movement in the next couple weeks? Or will we not get that until the start of summer?

idontknowyou

New

Post by idontknowyou » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:07 pm

I applied almost three months ago and still haven't heard anything (not even waitlist, just under review)... This is the only school where I haven't gotten a decision. Has something similar happened to anyone else?

law1993

New

Post by law1993 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:19 pm

idontknowyou wrote:I applied almost three months ago and still haven't heard anything (not even waitlist, just under review)... This is the only school where I haven't gotten a decision. Has something similar happened to anyone else?
Same. I applied late Feb., went under review 3/1 and have been waiting since then. They said the process would take 6-8 weeks from 3/1, so hopefully any day now :)

KtLaw747

New

Post by KtLaw747 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:09 pm

No movement on scholarships either. A lot of people put down their first seat deposit, so good luck to everyone on the waitlist and those still trying to hammer out scholly money.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”