Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lilo93

New

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by Lilo93 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:09 am

Did anyone else have a negative alumni interview?

I interviewed earlier this week and my interviewer spoke to me for over an hour, but at times I felt like I was being grilled and every answer I gave was unsuitable. It was very stress provoking and not as conversational as I would have liked. I was asked about various legal issues and philosophical questions. Every time I gave an answer, she would basically disregard it, and ask me the same question in a more convoluted way. I don't know if she was just trying to play devils advocate, but it put a lot of pressure on me to change what I was saying. I was just surprised because all of my other interviews were very positive and were with deans/admissions. I expected an alumni interview to be a lot less tense.

jessmeesh

Bronze

Post by jessmeesh » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:20 am

Lilo93 wrote:Did anyone else have a negative alumni interview?

I interviewed earlier this week and my interviewer spoke to me for over an hour, but at times I felt like I was being grilled and every answer I gave was unsuitable. It was very stress provoking and not as conversational as I would have liked. I was asked about various legal issues and philosophical questions. Every time I gave an answer, she would basically disregard it, and ask me the same question in a more convoluted way. I don't know if she was just trying to play devils advocate, but it put a lot of pressure on me to change what I was saying. I was just surprised because all of my other interviews were very positive and were with deans/admissions. I expected an alumni interview to be a lot less tense.

My interviewer was very ill prepared. He clearly had never even glanced at my resume or application materials and didn't questions ready. I had thought it would be a skype interview - I gave GULC my skype ID - but he called my cell. And I'm 95% sure he was rolling out of bed while he was talking to me. Oh, and he asked me if I was on TLS. I was a weird experience.

Lifeshouldbehappy

New

Post by Lifeshouldbehappy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:16 am

Hi, Lilo. I wouldn't worry too much about it because I believe an alumni interview depends on each interviewer. Although mine was very positive, I also had very challenging questions as my interviewer kept delving deeper on what I said earlier and he also had me talk about my opinions on political scenarios, like what I would do in this situation and such. Mine also went over an hour, but I felt really comfortable after the interview because regardless of how the interviewer thought about me, I made sure I was both honest and explicit in my opinions. I was admitted just yesterday, about two weeks after my interview. I was ED. Just be patient with your decision. It will come out soon. Good luck!

Zipman

New

Post by Zipman » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:31 pm

If I haven't gotten an interview invite after being complete since early Jan, is that necessarily bad? Do most people who are admitted interview first? I'm +75LSAT, -25GPA splitting here.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:41 pm

Zipman wrote:If I haven't gotten an interview invite after being complete since early Jan, is that necessarily bad? Do most people who are admitted interview first? I'm +75LSAT, -25GPA splitting here.
Admitted without an interview

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Christinabruin

Bronze

Post by Christinabruin » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:01 pm

chargers21 wrote:
Zipman wrote:If I haven't gotten an interview invite after being complete since early Jan, is that necessarily bad? Do most people who are admitted interview first? I'm +75LSAT, -25GPA splitting here.
+1

BostonOrBust

Bronze

Post by BostonOrBust » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:15 pm

Christinabruin wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
+1
For you "admitted without an interview" folks-- mind sharing stats, URM status, etc?

Christinabruin

Bronze

Post by Christinabruin » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:29 pm

BostonOrBust wrote:For you "admitted without an interview" folks-- mind sharing stats, URM status, etc?
PM'ed!

MrSam

Bronze

Post by MrSam » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:56 pm

Ugh...starting to get worried. Interviewed over a week ago, and still haven't heard back. From what I've gathered, most who ended up being accepted post-interview, had interviewed less than a week prior to their acceptance.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

amberb94

Bronze

Post by amberb94 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:04 pm

I am slightly concerned that applying so late in the cycle will hurt my chances here. It looks like most of the recent decisions on LSN were rejects/waitlists.

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:19 pm

MrSam wrote:Ugh...starting to get worried. Interviewed over a week ago, and still haven't heard back. From what I've gathered, most who ended up being accepted post-interview, had interviewed less than a week prior to their acceptance.
Same but at least we didn't get dinged or waitlisted in the recent massacre.

LawTweet

Bronze

Post by LawTweet » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:21 pm

Anyone know about the PILS timeline? I'm crossing my fingers for a nomination.

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:42 pm

amberb94 wrote:I am slightly concerned that applying so late in the cycle will hurt my chances here. It looks like most of the recent decisions on LSN were rejects/waitlists.
If anything, applying late will hurt less at GULC than at other T14's, since the deadline is March 1 and February scores are accepted. There will likely be more rejects/waitlists released around the application deadline when the applicant pool is set.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Post by ZVBXRPL » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:53 pm

How do scholarships work?

I heard everyone gets some sort of feeler email...?

amberb94

Bronze

Post by amberb94 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:28 am

goldenbear2020 wrote:
amberb94 wrote:I am slightly concerned that applying so late in the cycle will hurt my chances here. It looks like most of the recent decisions on LSN were rejects/waitlists.
If anything, applying late will hurt less at GULC than at other T14's, since the deadline is March 1 and February scores are accepted. There will likely be more rejects/waitlists released around the application deadline when the applicant pool is set.
This makes me feel a bit better. Thanks!

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Bronze

Post by BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:43 am

Finished with an alum interview. Very pleasant experience. The alum had graduated a decade and a half ago. She talked about the positives of GULC, asked me the basic questions. Generally like a conversation. Quite a lot of common stuff to talk about. Lasted 45 minutes. The interview was feel good with generally positive vibes. Made sure I told her gulc is a top choice.

patttt

Silver

Post by patttt » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:07 am

jessmeesh wrote:

My interviewer was very ill prepared. He clearly had never even glanced at my resume or application materials and didn't questions ready. I had thought it would be a skype interview - I gave GULC my skype ID - but he called my cell. And I'm 95% sure he was rolling out of bed while he was talking to me. Oh, and he asked me if I was on TLS. I was a weird experience.
+1. My interrviewer even trashed the school itself and said he disliked the student body while he was a student there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:40 am

patttt wrote:
jessmeesh wrote:

+1. My interrviewer even trashed the school itself and said he disliked the student body while he was a student there.
That's pretty unprofessional.. Wtf

patttt

Silver

Post by patttt » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:55 am

Mikey wrote:
patttt wrote:
jessmeesh wrote:

That's pretty unprofessional.. Wtf
Yep. I didnt even know what to say to his answers to some of my questions ... Like thats cool I guess? Idk

ilovewestworld

New

Post by ilovewestworld » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:18 am

MrSam wrote:Ugh...starting to get worried. Interviewed over a week ago, and still haven't heard back. From what I've gathered, most who ended up being accepted post-interview, had interviewed less than a week prior to their acceptance.
Don't be worried! I got in via snail mail yesterday approx three weeks after my interview. I think that's pretty common, esp w/snail mail.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:22 am

ilovewestworld wrote:
Don't be worried! I got in via snail mail yesterday approx three weeks after my interview. I think that's pretty common, esp w/snail mail.
Yeah, I wouldn't be worried. I interviewed at least 3 weeks ago, and still haven't gotten in (or dinged), but I've gotten into all the other T14s I've heard back from so far. I think they're just a little longer on the draw bc of so many applications

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mangoluvr

New

Post by mangoluvr » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:30 am

I interviewed on 1/30 and received my acceptance letter via snail mail this past weekend. The letter was dated February 13.

turkeyncheese

New

Post by turkeyncheese » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:30 am

Is it safe to assume ding/WL if ED deferred to regular admission? They said we would receive a decision no later than Feb 28 but if that decision is 'admitted' then they would have to be sending out the letters this week right? And if the ASW trick isn't working then that means that they haven't sent a letter... :?

robertmoses

New

Post by robertmoses » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:07 pm

Does dean cornblatt email everyone after the group interviews or is that a good sign?

greenbean

New

Post by greenbean » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:31 pm

I got in a few days ago after being "held" for over a month.

I feel obliged to report this odd turnaround despite being a lazy lurker... Applied before Thanksgiving - pleasant alumni interview early December - dead silence - hold email mid January. I lost all my hopes but then got in via snail mail a few days ago with a handwritten note about how my interviewer had awesome remarks about our interview. Stats: LSAT +75%, GPA ++75%, international, +5 yrs out of college. My guess is that they may have a minority quota and they filled my pool early in the cycle but I don't know for sure.

Good luck with your upcoming interviews and scholly negotiations!
Last edited by greenbean on Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”