Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
PDX4343

Silver

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by PDX4343 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:42 pm

jlc058 wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
jlc058 wrote: Not so sure now because I just got an email invitation to a group interview with the Dean Cornblatt- not sure why they would do that if their decision was already made
Are you borderline with your numbers? Or a possible YP?
Definitely not YP- I guess I could be a bit borderline. I am in between 25% and median in GPA (but closer to median) and at 75% for LSAT
Interesting, I guess decisions maybe haven't been made. If you live close to DC I think that's also a factor in getting an interview invitation.

jlc058

Bronze

Post by jlc058 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:45 pm

PDX4343 wrote:
jlc058 wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
jlc058 wrote: Not so sure now because I just got an email invitation to a group interview with the Dean Cornblatt- not sure why they would do that if their decision was already made
Definitely not YP- I guess I could be a bit borderline. I am in between 25% and median in GPA (but closer to median) and at 75% for LSAT
Interesting, I guess decisions maybe haven't been made. If you live close to DC I think that's also a factor in getting an interview invitation.
I live in DC. They said they were " reaching out to select applicants who have indicated ties to the Washington, D.C. area." So it is definitely a factor- just not sure what the others are

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:47 pm

For sure, I guess we'll see. Good luck at your interview if you decide to do it!

taxman14

Silver

Post by taxman14 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:54 pm

PDX4343 wrote:
Interesting, I didn't get an interview invite. Possible that they just denied me outright for YP

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:05 pm

taxman14 wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
Interesting, I didn't get an interview invite. Possible that they just denied me outright for YP
From what I was able to gather in last year's thread, it looks like it was mostly applicants in the DC area that they invited to interview. So if you don't live near there it might not be a sign of anything bad.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Post by call-me-bubbles » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:14 pm

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

taxman14

Silver

Post by taxman14 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:15 pm

PDX4343 wrote:
taxman14 wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
From what I was able to gather in last year's thread, it looks like it was mostly applicants in the DC area that they invited to interview. So if you don't live near there it might not be a sign of anything bad.
Ah good to know! Thanks :)

CenterFringe

Bronze

Post by CenterFringe » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:23 pm

I'm application completed, with most of the other fields blank. I just submitted my application yesterday, so I'm not reading into it too much.

Maaza

New

Post by Maaza » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:40 pm

taxman14 wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
taxman14 wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
Quick question: what's YP?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

taxman14

Silver

Post by taxman14 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:51 pm

Maaza wrote:
taxman14 wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
taxman14 wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
Yield protection - where they don't admit someone that's too far above their 75th percentile because they don't think that the applicant is ultimately serious about attending the law school.

gmeadiv

New

Post by gmeadiv » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:12 am

Does anyone's status page say "application received" instead of "complete(d)"? Is there a meaningful difference? All my other law school apps say complete(d) except for GULC. And it doesn't mention that anything is missing... Am I just reading too much into this?

Lmorina126

New

Post by Lmorina126 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:58 am

gmeadiv wrote:Does anyone's status page say "application received" instead of "complete(d)"? Is there a meaningful difference? All my other law school apps say complete(d) except for GULC. And it doesn't mention that anything is missing... Am I just reading too much into this?
Did you apply ED? I have the same issue. My app has said "recieved" and not "complete" for almost 3weeks now. When I contacted them, they said that they have to reach a threshold of ED applications before completing them for review. I think it's just a way to buy more time on that 3weeks turn around for ED apps. I hope that helps, I'm getting anxious over here :roll:

gmeadiv

New

Post by gmeadiv » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:13 am

Lmorina126 wrote:
gmeadiv wrote:Does anyone's status page say "application received" instead of "complete(d)"? Is there a meaningful difference? All my other law school apps say complete(d) except for GULC. And it doesn't mention that anything is missing... Am I just reading too much into this?
Did you apply ED? I have the same issue. My app has said "recieved" and not "complete" for almost 3weeks now. When I contacted them, they said that they have to reach a threshold of ED applications before completing them for review. I think it's just a way to buy more time on that 3weeks turn around for ED apps. I hope that helps, I'm getting anxious over here :roll:
Yeah, I applied ED too. That explanation makes sense I guess. I'm right there with you on the anxiety haha. I applied the 15th and today would be the three-week deadline.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Maaza

New

Post by Maaza » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:42 pm

taxman14 wrote:
Maaza wrote:
taxman14 wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
taxman14 wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
Yield protection - where they don't admit someone that's too far above their 75th percentile because they don't think that the applicant is ultimately serious about attending the law school.
Thank you!

Alive97

Bronze

Post by Alive97 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:10 am

Last edited by Alive97 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

0LawSchool

New

Post by 0LawSchool » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:00 pm

Checking in.
Last edited by 0LawSchool on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:55 pm

wow, a lot of ED activity in the GTown thread!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

poliksa

New

Post by poliksa » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:52 pm

My status is "Application completed" now and everything else is blank, but I can't remember what it was before. Was there a status stage before "Application completed"? I also just submitted last Friday so I feel like it would be too soon for them to have made a decision already...

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:34 pm

poliksa wrote:My status is "Application completed" now and everything else is blank, but I can't remember what it was before. Was there a status stage before "Application completed"? I also just submitted last Friday so I feel like it would be too soon for them to have made a decision already...
A lot of people in this thread were "Application Complete" then went blank for a day and afterwards were "Application Completed" with the rest blank, like you're describing. I don't think it means anything, based on the lack of movement since that happened, which was last week for a lot of us.

j0elanz

New

Post by j0elanz » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:36 am

Hi all. Received an invite today from GTown for the group interview. Mine is in NYC (I live on Long Island) for people with "ties to the NYC area." So very similar to the DC group interview invite. It's being conducted by Andy Cornblatt, the Dean.

FYI, my application status also reads "Application CompleteD". It's possible my interview is about YP, because I am above 75th for both LSAT/GPA.

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:39 am

j0elanz wrote:Hi all. Received an invite today from GTown for the group interview. Mine is in NYC (I live on Long Island) for people with "ties to the NYC area." So very similar to the DC group interview invite. It's being conducted by Andy Cornblatt, the Dean.

FYI, my application status also reads "Application CompleteD". It's possible my interview is about YP, because I am above 75th for both LSAT/GPA.

I got the same e-mail. Will you be attending? It does say that "Please know that your application will in no way be disadvantaged if you are unable to participate in the interview for any reason."

My LSAT is above 75th, so you may be right about YP.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jlc058

Bronze

Post by jlc058 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:46 am

Thelaw23 wrote:
j0elanz wrote:Hi all. Received an invite today from GTown for the group interview. Mine is in NYC (I live on Long Island) for people with "ties to the NYC area." So very similar to the DC group interview invite. It's being conducted by Andy Cornblatt, the Dean.

I got the same e-mail. Will you be attending? It does say that "Please know that your application will in no way be disadvantaged if you are unable to participate in the interview for any reason."

I just went in DC and it was actually really fun- even though it says you wont be disadvantaged if you don't attend, the Dean definitely made it clear he really appreciates the people that make time for it and will remember meeting you and what you were like when your application was reviewed (so not any minuses for not going but definitely pluses for attending).

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:49 am

jlc058 wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:

I just went in DC and it was actually really fun- even though it says you wont be disadvantaged if you don't attend, the Dean definitely made it clear he really appreciates the people that make time for it and will remember meeting you and what you were like when your application was reviewed (so not any minuses for not going but definitely pluses for attending).

Thanks! I'm definitely going to attend, then. It also seems like not that many people around New York where invited since there is only one date and two set of times available.

Edit: I was just really expecting an answer from them in October :(

jlc058

Bronze

Post by jlc058 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:56 am

Thelaw23 wrote:
jlc058 wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:

Thanks! I'm definitely going to attend, then. It also seems like not that many people around New York where invited since there is only one date and two set of times available.

Yeah they only offered two times for this DC round as well- and only 12 people in each round so not too many people. I think they do it more than once though.

When is your interview date? Depending on that you still might hear in Oct. I went on Monday and Dean Cornblatt said we should all be hearing from them "very, very soon" and last year it seemed like after the group interviews all the attendees heard back within two weeks of their interview date.

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:59 am

jlc058 wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
jlc058 wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:

Yeah they only offered two times for this DC round as well- and only 12 people in each round so not too many people. I think they do it more than once though.

When is your interview date? Depending on that you still might hear in Oct. I went on Monday and Dean Cornblatt said we should all be hearing from them "very, very soon" and last year it seemed like after the group interviews all the attendees heard back within two weeks of their interview date.

It's on November 2nd, so yeah I'll definitely only be hearing back in November =/

I figured it wouldn't make much sense not going to the interview just to hear back earlier and then ending up waitlisted due to YP, though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”