Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
j0elanz

New

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by j0elanz » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:55 am

Thelaw23 wrote:
jlc058 wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
jlc058 wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
j0elanz wrote:Hi all. Received an invite today from GTown for the group interview. Mine is in NYC (I live on Long Island) for people with "ties to the NYC area." So very similar to the DC group interview invite. It's being conducted by Andy Cornblatt, the Dean.

FYI, my application status also reads "Application CompleteD". It's possible my interview is about YP, because I am above 75th for both LSAT/GPA.

I got the same e-mail. Will you be attending? It does say that "Please know that your application will in no way be disadvantaged if you are unable to participate in the interview for any reason."

My LSAT is above 75th, so you may be right about YP.
I just went in DC and it was actually really fun- even though it says you wont be disadvantaged if you don't attend, the Dean definitely made it clear he really appreciates the people that make time for it and will remember meeting you and what you were like when your application was reviewed (so not any minuses for not going but definitely pluses for attending).

Thanks! I'm definitely going to attend, then. It also seems like not that many people around New York where invited since there is only one date and two set of times available.

Edit: I was just really expecting an answer from them in October :(
Yeah they only offered two times for this DC round as well- and only 12 people in each round so not too many people. I think they do it more than once though.

When is your interview date? Depending on that you still might hear in Oct. I went on Monday and Dean Cornblatt said we should all be hearing from them "very, very soon" and last year it seemed like after the group interviews all the attendees heard back within two weeks of their interview date.

It's on November 2nd, so yeah I'll definitely only be hearing back in November =/

I figured it wouldn't make much sense not going to the interview just to hear back earlier and then ending up waitlisted due to YP, though.

My interview is on November 1st. I am also attending despite the "won't effect the application" qualifier for two reasons: First of all, I've also read it's a fun, relaxed kind of experience, so why not; second, since the invite was probably sent for YP, I want to display that I am actually interested in Georgetown, I'm just hoping for a scholarship to attend. This seems like a pretty simple way to show that interest directly to the Dean.

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:04 pm

j0elanz wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
jlc058 wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
jlc058 wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
j0elanz wrote:Hi all. Received an invite today from GTown for the group interview. Mine is in NYC (I live on Long Island) for people with "ties to the NYC area." So very similar to the DC group interview invite. It's being conducted by Andy Cornblatt, the Dean.

FYI, my application status also reads "Application CompleteD". It's possible my interview is about YP, because I am above 75th for both LSAT/GPA.

I got the same e-mail. Will you be attending? It does say that "Please know that your application will in no way be disadvantaged if you are unable to participate in the interview for any reason."

My LSAT is above 75th, so you may be right about YP.
I just went in DC and it was actually really fun- even though it says you wont be disadvantaged if you don't attend, the Dean definitely made it clear he really appreciates the people that make time for it and will remember meeting you and what you were like when your application was reviewed (so not any minuses for not going but definitely pluses for attending).

Thanks! I'm definitely going to attend, then. It also seems like not that many people around New York where invited since there is only one date and two set of times available.

Edit: I was just really expecting an answer from them in October :(
Yeah they only offered two times for this DC round as well- and only 12 people in each round so not too many people. I think they do it more than once though.

When is your interview date? Depending on that you still might hear in Oct. I went on Monday and Dean Cornblatt said we should all be hearing from them "very, very soon" and last year it seemed like after the group interviews all the attendees heard back within two weeks of their interview date.

It's on November 2nd, so yeah I'll definitely only be hearing back in November =/

I figured it wouldn't make much sense not going to the interview just to hear back earlier and then ending up waitlisted due to YP, though.

My interview is on November 1st. I am also attending despite the "won't effect the application" qualifier for two reasons: First of all, I've also read it's a fun, relaxed kind of experience, so why not; second, since the invite was probably sent for YP, I want to display that I am actually interested in Georgetown, I'm just hoping for a scholarship to attend. This seems like a pretty simple way to show that interest directly to the Dean.
Yeah, sorry, I made a mistake and it's actually November 1st. I just work full time but I'll find a way to get there on that date haha.

lmcghee

New

Post by lmcghee » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:14 pm

Ugh I was really thinking/hoping this would be the week people would start hearing back based on mylsn...now with a lot of people just getting interview offers I am not so sure :cry:

SmallK

Bronze

Post by SmallK » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:22 pm

It looks like interviews are linked to area (DC/NYC) and YP risks, but are there any other factors? AKA if I'm not getting an interview invite, should I be concerned? Thanks!

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:23 pm

SmallK wrote:It looks like interviews are linked to area (DC/NYC) and YP risks, but are there any other factors? AKA if I'm not getting an interview invite, should I be concerned? Thanks!
No, I wouldn't be concerned. Like you said, they seem to be almost always linked to other factors.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SmallK

Bronze

Post by SmallK » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:29 pm

PDX4343 wrote:
SmallK wrote:It looks like interviews are linked to area (DC/NYC) and YP risks, but are there any other factors? AKA if I'm not getting an interview invite, should I be concerned? Thanks!
No, I wouldn't be concerned. Like you said, they seem to be almost always linked to other factors.
Awesome, thanks! Any chance that means I could hear a little earlier? Assuming not, but a girl can dream :)

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:07 pm

SmallK wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
Awesome, thanks! Any chance that means I could hear a little earlier? Assuming not, but a girl can dream :)
Haha I'm right there with you. I'm basing most of this off of what I read in last year's thread, but it looks like people started getting accepted on the 16th of October or so. They do acceptances by snail-mail (as you maybe already know) so how close you live to D.C. will play a role in how soon you hear back. Some people who were still in undergrad also had a box pop-up on their status checker saying that they needed to turn in their final transcripts, which typically meant an acceptance letter was on the way. Some people saw that box after they got their letters though.

In other words, I have no idea, lol. Hopefully we hear back soon!

SmallK

Bronze

Post by SmallK » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:28 pm

PDX4343 wrote:
SmallK wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
Haha I'm right there with you. I'm basing most of this off of what I read in last year's thread, but it looks like people started getting accepted on the 16th of October or so. They do acceptances by snail-mail (as you maybe already know) so how close you live to D.C. will play a role in how soon you hear back. Some people who were still in undergrad also had a box pop-up on their status checker saying that they needed to turn in their final transcripts, which typically meant an acceptance letter was on the way. Some people saw that box after they got their letters though.

In other words, I have no idea, lol. Hopefully we hear back soon!
Ugh, I knew I should've lived farther South :). Anyways, thanks! I knew Oct. and snail mail, so I figured I'd hear about news before getting any myself -- good to know mid-Oct. is (historically) the time to watch.

Good luck to you!

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Post by call-me-bubbles » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:36 am

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gmeadiv

New

Post by gmeadiv » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:25 am

call-me-bubbles wrote:Not to incite mass pandemonium, but is anyone else now seeing a big, empty "Mailings" box on their status-checker page? 'twas not there previously... :!:
I just checked and I have it too. *fingers crossed*

taxman14

Silver

Post by taxman14 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:53 am

gmeadiv wrote:
call-me-bubbles wrote:Not to incite mass pandemonium, but is anyone else now seeing a big, empty "Mailings" box on their status-checker page? 'twas not there previously... :!:
I have it too but thought it was there before. Guess not?

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:35 am

gmeadiv wrote:
+1

jlc058

Bronze

Post by jlc058 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:57 am

poptart123 wrote:
gmeadiv wrote:
+1
Ditto

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

poliksa

New

Post by poliksa » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:53 am

taxman14 wrote:
gmeadiv wrote:
Darn I can't remember if it was there before either - does anyone not have it?

aaron1621

New

Post by aaron1621 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:10 am

poliksa wrote:
taxman14 wrote:
gmeadiv wrote:
Darn I can't remember if it was there before either - does anyone not have it?

Everyone has it I think.

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:13 am

Stop fucking with us, Georgetown.

poliksa

New

Post by poliksa » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:27 am

Was the "Requirements List" box in the status checker always blank?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lmcghee

New

Post by lmcghee » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:43 am

poliksa wrote:Was the "Requirements List" box in the status checker always blank?
mine was.

does anyone not have the mailing box?

hopefully this means things have been sent! now we just need to wait to hear from people who live close by.

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Post by Assasindowntheavenue » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:50 am

lmcghee wrote:
poliksa wrote:Was the "Requirements List" box in the status checker always blank?
mine was.

does anyone not have the mailing box?

hopefully this means things have been sent! now we just need to wait to hear from people who live close by.
I thought the mailing box was always there... hope I'm wrong!

Alive97

Bronze

Post by Alive97 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:03 pm

Last edited by Alive97 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

StopLawying

Silver

Post by StopLawying » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:31 pm

Hey guys,
I see that there are 5 optional essays one can choose from, but none are "why Georgetown". Does that mean it's not necessary to write one?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Post by Assasindowntheavenue » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:04 pm

Looking through last year's thread, we should hear some acceptances by Saturday. :shock: :D

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:08 pm

StopLawying wrote:Hey guys,
I see that there are 5 optional essays one can choose from, but none are "why Georgetown". Does that mean it's not necessary to write one?

def not necessary

taxman14

Silver

Post by taxman14 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:19 pm

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:Looking through last year's thread, we should hear some acceptances by Saturday. :shock: :D
Even looks like some people found out on Friday last year. Probably depending on your location relative to Gtown due to snail mail. But the accepted students portal login doesn't work for me yet - so either I'm not in or they fixed this bug. Anyone else tried it?

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:59 pm

taxman14 wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:Looking through last year's thread, we should hear some acceptances by Saturday. :shock: :D
Even looks like some people found out on Friday last year. Probably depending on your location relative to Gtown due to snail mail. But the accepted students portal login doesn't work for me yet - so either I'm not in or they fixed this bug. Anyone else tried it?
It's not working for me either. I think I remember someone on TLS posting that the trick might not work early in cycle for some reason? I don't know if that's accurate or why it would be the case, but it might explain it not working.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”