Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
trohara14

New

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by trohara14 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:14 am

Hi! Applied to Vanderbilt early on September 13. I have a 3.85, and got a 162 on my LSAT. Not as high of a score as I had hoped, but I wanted to get applications in and the person with admissions at ND seemed to think that was the better option as well. Also applied to:

Notre Dame
University of Michigan - fee waiver
Duke University - early decision
Boston University -- fee waiver

Let me know if you have any thoughts or insights.

joeytribbiani

Bronze

Post by joeytribbiani » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:03 pm

According to LSN, we're approaching the time frame of first wave decisions. Has anyone seen any change in their status checker since interviewing? Interviewed 2 weeks ago but haven't seen a change - wasn't sure if Vandy changes from complete to under review or just stays at complete until issuing a decision. (I would look in last year's thread but on phone and about to go to class)

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:13 pm

trohara14 wrote:Hi! Applied to Vanderbilt early on September 13. I have a 3.85, and got a 162 on my LSAT. Not as high of a score as I had hoped, but I wanted to get applications in and the person with admissions at ND seemed to think that was the better option as well. Also applied to:

Notre Dame

I also applied to the same exact schools (and many more) plus ED to Duke as well :D :D Best of luck!

whodareswins

Bronze

Post by whodareswins » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:51 pm

trohara14 wrote:Hi! Applied to Vanderbilt early on September 13. I have a 3.85, and got a 162 on my LSAT. Not as high of a score as I had hoped, but I wanted to get applications in and the person with admissions at ND seemed to think that was the better option as well. Also applied to:

Notre Dame

I think you're in at ND and Boston. Duke (even ED) and Michigan are long shots, but not outside the realm of possibility. These, including Vanderbilt are all schools I'm shooting for with a 3.88 and a 166. But I think I will need to retake for Duke/Michigan, and for any real $$$ at Vandy, BU, ND, etc.

I know it's not what you want to hear since studying for and taking the LSAT is rough, but 5 more points would put you in an entirely different position.

pirate101

New

Post by pirate101 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:16 am

So I requested an interview on 10/21 and received an email from the coordinator on 10/23 asking if I planned to attend my alma mater's law open house because they'd be there and I could interview that day. I knew this already and couldn't make that day work with my schedule so I had elected to get assigned an interviewer and do one off campus so I told her that and she said No problem, they'd have someone contact me. Now it has been two weeks and I haven't heard anything. Should I email? It's a little different since I've had some contact with admissions and know they received my request. Also how much does everyone think interview's help? I did mine for NU and felt confident about it, but am not sure it's more helpful than getting my application complete so they can begin reviewing it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

joeytribbiani

Bronze

Post by joeytribbiani » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:39 am

pirate101 wrote:So I requested an interview on 10/21 and received an email from the coordinator on 10/23 asking if I planned to attend my alma mater's law open house because they'd be there and I could interview that day. I knew this already and couldn't make that day work with my schedule so I had elected to get assigned an interviewer and do one off campus so I told her that and she said No problem, they'd have someone contact me. Now it has been two weeks and I haven't heard anything. Should I email? It's a little different since I've had some contact with admissions and know they received my request. Also how much does everyone think interview's help? I did mine for NU and felt confident about it, but am not sure it's more helpful than getting my application complete so they can begin reviewing it.
Email and just say you're checking in because you haven't heard. It won't look aggressive, just that you're following up responsibly. I emailed back and forth a few times with who I believe is the same person you're referring to and she was very nice and helpful the whole time. My alumni that was initially assigned/asked to do the interview never contacted me and when I emailed to follow up she told me that and helped get a new one assigned. They have a ridiculous schedule and amount of things to get done this time of the year, so don't be afraid to politely follow up if it has been longer than should be, which in this case is 2 weeks.

As far as how much interviews help, for Vandy probably not a ton. I think it is more of (1) them selling the school to you and (2) you not screwing up in any major way. They know your paper facts from your application, they want to see if you can have a conversation, show some interest in the school, and appear professional. Don't worry about it making or breaking your application. At this point, since you've already requested to do the interview, though it might not negatively affect you to back out, it could, so that risk is up to you. Probably not a huge negative, but if you're on the edge numbers wise at all, it would be better to just do the interview.

amberb94

Bronze

Post by amberb94 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:52 pm

So how important do you all think doing the interview is? If I don't do an interview, how much do you think it will hurt me if my numbers are solid?

The Abyss

Gold

Post by The Abyss » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:03 pm

amberb94 wrote:So how important do you all think doing the interview is? If I don't do an interview, how much do you think it will hurt me if my numbers are solid?
I didn't interview last year, was a splitter and got in with a generous scholarship.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:34 pm

The Abyss wrote:
amberb94 wrote:So how important do you all think doing the interview is? If I don't do an interview, how much do you think it will hurt me if my numbers are solid?
I didn't interview last year, was a splitter and got in with a generous scholarship.
+1 but I wasn't a splitter

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Madiscone

New

Post by Madiscone » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:11 pm

The Abyss wrote:
I just did the interview and it definitely increased my confidence (it ended up being and 1 1/2 hours). I did an alum interview through and when it's all said and done... it's just an alum. Who knows how much pull they have.

amberb94

Bronze

Post by amberb94 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:20 pm

Madiscone wrote:
The Abyss wrote:
I just did the interview and it definitely increased my confidence (it ended up being and 1 1/2 hours). I did an alum interview through and when it's all said and done... it's just an alum. Who knows how much pull they have.
Yeah, makes sense. I signed up for one on Skype because none of the city options were close to me. Somehow a Skype interview makes me more nervous than an in person one!

Madiscone

New

Post by Madiscone » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:56 pm

amberb94 wrote:
Madiscone wrote:
The Abyss wrote:
Yeah, makes sense. I signed up for one on Skype because none of the city options were close to me. Somehow a Skype interview makes me more nervous than an in person one!
I had a skype interview with WUSTL. Definitely get on that computer an hour before to set up. I did it at work and it took me 45 minutes to get Skype to work (I don't know why)

amberb94

Bronze

Post by amberb94 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:10 pm

Madiscone wrote:
amberb94 wrote:
Madiscone wrote:
The Abyss wrote:
I had a skype interview with WUSTL. Definitely get on that computer an hour before to set up. I did it at work and it took me 45 minutes to get Skype to work (I don't know why)
Wow, thanks for the tip. My wifi has been cutting out lately so I hope that doesn't happen during my interview.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

caitlinrw

Bronze

Post by caitlinrw » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:00 pm

amberb94 wrote:
Madiscone wrote:
amberb94 wrote:
Madiscone wrote:
The Abyss wrote:
Wow, thanks for the tip. My wifi has been cutting out lately so I hope that doesn't happen during my interview.
Worst case scenario, if your wifi cuts off, they always offer to simply call you back and complete the interview over the phone. This didn't happen to me, but my interviewer just let me know that was the contingency plan.

katthegreat11

Bronze

Post by katthegreat11 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Did anyone's status checker change after they completed the interview? Mine was 2 weeks ago and my status checker hasn't been updated since the end of September.

stratton_oakmont

New

Post by stratton_oakmont » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:43 pm

katthegreat11 wrote:Did anyone's status checker change after they completed the interview? Mine was 2 weeks ago and my status checker hasn't been updated since the end of September.
I don't think the status checker updates after the interview

lcsslily

New

Post by lcsslily » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:01 pm

Question about the interviews...

I originally was going to do a local alumni interview, but have come to find out the closest alums are over 2 hours away from me. So, I don't really want to travel that far for the interview, but am a bit nervous about a skype interview. Would canceling my interview hurt me/would it look bad to go back now? Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

joeytribbiani

Bronze

Post by joeytribbiani » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:22 am

lcsslily wrote:Question about the interviews...

I originally was going to do a local alumni interview, but have come to find out the closest alums are over 2 hours away from me. So, I don't really want to travel that far for the interview, but am a bit nervous about a skype interview. Would canceling my interview hurt me/would it look bad to go back now? Thanks!
I think in the grand scheme of things if you have the numbers to get in, it probably wouldn't hurt you all that much. That being said, I say that based on what I've read from others but know I'd be way too nervous myself to cancel, just out of personal anxiety about it. I did my WUSTL interview via skype, and though I know the schools do them differently and for different purposes, I don't think you should be nervous about skype, even more so for Vanderbilt. The alumni interviews are really just a chance for them to sell the school to you and see how you carry on conversation, so if you can carry conversation on the phone, you can do it on skype.

It all depends on your preference/comfort at the end of the day, so do what feels right, but I don't think any of these courses of action is necessarily wrong.

Rubbishdump

Bronze

Post by Rubbishdump » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:07 am

Application sent, waiting for the interview. Pretty excited. Definitely my top choice at the moment.

katthegreat11

Bronze

Post by katthegreat11 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:00 am

I signed up for the in person, but because of schedule conflicts, it looked like there wouldn't be a time I could meet my interviewer despite living in the same city. So I proposed a phone call as an alternative and they were fine with that!

lcsslily

New

Post by lcsslily » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:47 pm

katthegreat11 wrote:

I signed up for the in person, but because of schedule conflicts, it looked like there wouldn't be a time I could meet my interviewer despite living in the same city. So I proposed a phone call as an alternative and they were fine with that!
I just signed up for a phone interview, I don't feel comfortable trying to find a quiet place where I won't be distracted on campus and my internet at home sometimes has issues with bad weather (yes, even rain). I have done phone interviews for jobs before and I think the effect will be pretty neutral on my application. I just hope I can schedule it soon, so it doesn't prolong the process too long.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

taxman14

Silver

Post by taxman14 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:15 pm

Just got a notification that something was sent to me from Mount Juliet, TN. It should be arriving Friday but I'm fairly sure it's related to Vandy.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Bronze

Post by Rich Uncle Skeleton » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:23 pm

taxman14 wrote:Just got a notification that something was sent to me from Mount Juliet, TN. It should be arriving Friday but I'm fairly sure it's related to Vandy.
Congrats!! That is very exciting. Did your status checker change? Or is that not even a thing?

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:28 pm

taxman14 wrote:Just got a notification that something was sent to me from Mount Juliet, TN. It should be arriving Friday but I'm fairly sure it's related to Vandy.
What notified you?

studyingeveryday

Silver

Post by studyingeveryday » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:36 pm

Congrats! When did you submit?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”