UF c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jag13

Bronze

Re: UF c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by jag13 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:55 am

JaxBeachLaw wrote:
pleaseUF wrote:
jag13 wrote:Has anyone already successfully negotiataed more scholarship money?
I sent a negotiation email (asking to bump the 80% scholarship to 100%) 2 weeks ago and have received no response - seems unprofessional to me. And I have not heard of anyone successfully negotiating this cycle. I'm likely going to pick another school who has demonstrated they want me.
I have had a similar non-response to my request. I am a UF grad and overall disappointed in UF's offer and the general vibe I get from the school. Florida as a whole seems to be hell-bent on increasing enrollment at any cost so that they can keep churning $$$ and growing the Gator network. I'm a Gator for life, but seriously disappointed with the administration direction that the university is operating under.

FSU feels like a better option to me.
I'm an FSU grad, I've spent time in Gainesville too. If youve never been to tally I definitely recommend come checking it out. It's a cool town

darthlawyer

Bronze

Post by darthlawyer » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:49 pm

Houzy wrote:
pleaseUF wrote:
I sent a negotiation email (asking to bump the 80% scholarship to 100%) 2 weeks ago and have received no response - seems unprofessional to me. And I have not heard of anyone successfully negotiating this cycle. I'm likely going to pick another school who has demonstrated they want me.
Does an 80% scholarship not demonstrate that?
Lol. Seriously.

jcburns

New

Post by jcburns » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:01 pm

darthlawyer wrote:
Houzy wrote:
pleaseUF wrote:
Lol. Seriously.
If you want Florida so badly that you chose to incorporate them in your username, don't turn down an 80% scholarship offer. That's a great offer.

atauc

New

Post by atauc » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:19 pm

MOLaw wrote:
atauc wrote:
MOLaw wrote:Anyone else sitting on Initial Review- No Decision Made. I applied on 3/4/17 and I'm hoping for a quick response (lol)

156/3.3
I applied late January with very similar stats and I am still waiting for a decision. My status checker has said "Initial Review Complete- No Decision Made" since about mid-February.
That is exactly as mine says.

Ill update you all if it changes or if I get accepted. :roll:
Update me too!
Will do! Good Luck!

pleaseUF

New

Post by pleaseUF » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:36 pm

jcburns wrote:
darthlawyer wrote:
Houzy wrote:
pleaseUF wrote:
Lol. Seriously.
If you want Florida so badly that you chose to incorporate them in your username, don't turn down an 80% scholarship offer. That's a great offer.
They're the only school that didn't offer me 100% or 100% + stipend. I can't rationalize going into debt for law school when I have other offers for more money.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

__blah

New

Post by __blah » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:04 pm

pleaseUF wrote:
jcburns wrote:
darthlawyer wrote:
Houzy wrote:
pleaseUF wrote:
Lol. Seriously.
They're the only school that didn't offer me 100% or 100% + stipend. I can't rationalize going into debt for law school when I have other offers for more money.

I think you can get UF to match. Speak to the Dean in person on admitted students day.

evanesco

New

Post by evanesco » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:32 pm

marshallu wrote:
MOLaw wrote:
Agreed. I would honestly just go with FSU at this point. Time is running out to get affairs in line. I applied to FSU for undergrad and they let me know I was accepted 5 days before the start of the semester. Not enough time to find a job, place to live, pick out classes, etc. I applied late in the game for LS because I didn't want to think about LSAT / Applications until I was done with my undergrad (graduated in December).

I don't feel confident that I'm getting into UF. I'm just under the median. I just want to know either way. Im dying and it hasn't even been a week yet. I can't imagine how you feel.
Yeah that's the plan. Exactly theres is so much that goes into the whole process once you decide and its things that takes time. I graduated in December of last year so and waited so I had the extra time and then could apply as early as possible after the September LSAT. Im just barely below the median as well but felt really go about my resume, extra curricular activities, personal statement, etc. I'm kind of doubting it too at this point but just really want to know so I could weigh all my options.

If they maybe even emailed me updates or emails just keeping my interest it'd be different but they completely ignore me and the two times I've called they give me these ridiculous generic answers like I'm talking to a machine and they don't even fully answer my questions and get me off the phone.
If you really want UF, try waiting a bit longer. I know it sucks, but I didn't make my decision until late March/early April last year and I still had plenty of time to get stuff in order. Promise. Also, if you have the opportunity, I highly recommend attending admitted students day for all the schools you can before making your decision. I was leaning towards FSU last year because of money, but attending ASD at UF completely changed my mind.

marshallu

New

Post by marshallu » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:05 pm

evanesco wrote:
marshallu wrote:
MOLaw wrote:
Agreed. I would honestly just go with FSU at this point. Time is running out to get affairs in line. I applied to FSU for undergrad and they let me know I was accepted 5 days before the start of the semester. Not enough time to find a job, place to live, pick out classes, etc. I applied late in the game for LS because I didn't want to think about LSAT / Applications until I was done with my undergrad (graduated in December).

I don't feel confident that I'm getting into UF. I'm just under the median. I just want to know either way. Im dying and it hasn't even been a week yet. I can't imagine how you feel.
Yeah that's the plan. Exactly theres is so much that goes into the whole process once you decide and its things that takes time. I graduated in December of last year so and waited so I had the extra time and then could apply as early as possible after the September LSAT. Im just barely below the median as well but felt really go about my resume, extra curricular activities, personal statement, etc. I'm kind of doubting it too at this point but just really want to know so I could weigh all my options.

If they maybe even emailed me updates or emails just keeping my interest it'd be different but they completely ignore me and the two times I've called they give me these ridiculous generic answers like I'm talking to a machine and they don't even fully answer my questions and get me off the phone.
If you really want UF, try waiting a bit longer. I know it sucks, but I didn't make my decision until late March/early April last year and I still had plenty of time to get stuff in order. Promise. Also, if you have the opportunity, I highly recommend attending admitted students day for all the schools you can before making your decision. I was leaning towards FSU last year because of money, but attending ASD at UF completely changed my mind.

I'd love to attend but I'm afraid I won't be an admitted student in time to actually get to come. Not to mention requesting off work last minute now. I called the admissions office to see if I would know in time and they just kept saying by mid to late April. Which is after asd and after my other deposits are due.

hegotmoneyyyyy

New

Post by hegotmoneyyyyy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:11 pm

pleaseUF wrote:
jcburns wrote:
darthlawyer wrote:
Houzy wrote:
pleaseUF wrote:
Lol. Seriously.
Are you in state and what are the other schools if you don't mind me asking. Because $4,000 of loans a year to cover the rest of tuition is nothing. When you think about how much you'll make in your career, the possible debt is such a small percentage of that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

trumpet152

New

Post by trumpet152 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:23 pm

hegotmoneyyyyy wrote:
pleaseUF wrote:
jcburns wrote:
darthlawyer wrote:
Houzy wrote:
pleaseUF wrote:
Lol. Seriously.
Are you in state and what are the other schools if you don't mind me asking. Because $4,000 of loans a year to cover the rest of tuition is nothing. When you think about how much you'll make in your career, the possible debt is such a small percentage of that.
Agreed. Paying $4,000 more per year makes a lot of sense if it results in better career opportunities. Imagine making $60,000 a year instead of $55,000. Within a few years, you've already made up the tuition difference. Going with the "100%" could be leaving money on the table (depending on what schools are being referred to).

MOLaw

New

Post by MOLaw » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:04 pm

I'm pretty sure UF is trying to make me go crazy. They keep sending emails about students explanations for why they chose UF. I just wanna know if I got in! I don't know how people that have been on No Decision Made for months haven't gone insane.

Lasow

New

Post by Lasow » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:09 pm

MOLaw wrote:I'm pretty sure UF is trying to make me go crazy. They keep sending emails about students explanations for why they chose UF. I just wanna know if I got in! I don't know how people that have been on No Decision Made for months haven't gone insane.

We have gone insane

jcburns

New

Post by jcburns » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:43 pm

Lasow wrote:
MOLaw wrote:I'm pretty sure UF is trying to make me go crazy. They keep sending emails about students explanations for why they chose UF. I just wanna know if I got in! I don't know how people that have been on No Decision Made for months haven't gone insane.

We have gone insane
Agreed, we have gone insane. Also, I'm not getting those emails so that is probably a good sign for you!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:58 pm

:wink:
Lasow wrote:

We have gone insane
Look on your status checker when LSAC's site is back up again. I only started getting those emails after I was admitted. Seems odd you would get them without an acceptance (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

MOLaw

New

Post by MOLaw » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:37 pm

Lasow wrote:

We have gone insane
God bless you.

MOLaw

New

Post by MOLaw » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:38 pm

Legallylawyer2020 wrote::wink:
Lasow wrote:

We have gone insane
Look on your status checker when LSAC's site is back up again. I only started getting those emails after I was admitted. Seems odd you would get them without an acceptance (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).
I'm still on no decision made! I check it every hour even though it's the weekend. I'm hoping you are right!

marshallu

New

Post by marshallu » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:15 pm

jcburns wrote:
Lasow wrote:

We have gone insane
Agreed, we have gone insane. Also, I'm not getting those emails so that is probably a good sign for you!
I developed an obsessive pattern thats been going on since October. Check email for acceptance or status change notification. Check actual status checker. Check this forum to see if anyone else has gotten in or heard anything. Check law school numbers to see if more people are getting in. Check the mail in case by some mistake they just snail mailed it to me with out changing it online. Repeat about ten times a day.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MOLaw

New

Post by MOLaw » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:30 pm

marshallu wrote:
jcburns wrote:
Lasow wrote:

We have gone insane
I developed an obsessive pattern thats been going on since October. Check email for acceptance or status change notification. Check actual status checker. Check this forum to see if anyone else has gotten in or heard anything. Check law school numbers to see if more people are getting in. Check the mail in case by some mistake they just snail mailed it to me with out changing it online. Repeat about ten times a day.
What are your stats like? I'm think they are holding me because I'm just in the middle.

marshallu

New

Post by marshallu » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:40 pm

MOLaw wrote:
marshallu wrote:
jcburns wrote:
Lasow wrote:

We have gone insane
What are your stats like? I'm think they are holding me because I'm just in the middle.
159 and 3.53 so i guess thats probably why but I don't understand why they cant just let me know already the priority deadlines in three days theyve got to have a decent idea of what this class will look like.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:44 pm

pleaseUF wrote:
jcburns wrote:
darthlawyer wrote:
Houzy wrote:
pleaseUF wrote:
Lol. Seriously.
But of the schools you have listed on your tls, only FSU matches UF in terms of outcomes, and if you want to work in a firm UF is probably the better bet, probably to the tune of what you would need to pay

magnum_law

Bronze

Post by magnum_law » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:09 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
pleaseUF wrote:
jcburns wrote:
darthlawyer wrote:
Houzy wrote:
pleaseUF wrote:
Lol. Seriously.
But of the schools you have listed on your tls, only FSU matches UF in terms of outcomes, and if you want to work in a firm UF is probably the better bet, probably to the tune of what you would need to pay
Not to mention UF just jumped like 7+ spots this year thanks to their new dean. Meanwhile, FSU is scary close to being "second tier", which may or may not immediately matter, but over time it definitely affects employment prospects . Granted, these rankings change frequently, but UF has always had the better rep in Florida in most people's opinion. A few pennies is a ridiculous reason to choose a worse off school. We aren't talking about sticker at Duke vs. full-ride at Florida price difference.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

trumpet152

New

Post by trumpet152 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:08 pm

magnum_law wrote:Not to mention UF just jumped like 7+ spots this year thanks to their new dean.
Woo! Makes me proud to be a Gator.

NihiLo_x

New

Post by NihiLo_x » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:23 pm

"Initial Review Complete - No Decision Made" since 3/11. Application completed on 3/6.

pleaseUF

New

Post by pleaseUF » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:36 pm

Not to mention UF just jumped like 7+ spots this year thanks to their new dean. Meanwhile, FSU is scary close to being "second tier", which may or may not immediately matter, but over time it definitely affects employment prospects . Granted, these rankings change frequently, but UF has always had the better rep in Florida in most people's opinion. A few pennies is a ridiculous reason to choose a worse off school. We aren't talking about sticker at Duke vs. full-ride at Florida price difference.[/quote]

The new ranking is awesome! I just wanted to try and get the best deal. And thankfully I did! Headed there this fall :)

evanesco

New

Post by evanesco » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:53 pm

pleaseUF wrote: The new ranking is awesome! I just wanted to try and get the best deal. And thankfully I did! Headed there this fall :)
Congrats!! Welcome to the Gator Nation :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”