WUSTL C/O 2020 (2016-2017) Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Final Poll - What's your status?

Dinged :(
3%
Waitlisted - Withdrew
No votes
Waitlisted - Riding it Out
21%
Admitted - Withdrew
26%
Admitted - Attending!
27%
Still Waiting on a Decision
22%

Total votes: 91

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Re: WUSTL C/O 2020 (2016-2017) Applicants

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:24 pm

bwaldorf wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:I have my interview this week! Any tips/advice?
Should I expect the standard "let's talk about your resume, why law, why WUSTL" questions and then the "here's why WashU is great" pitch?
It's really laid back. Mine was more of a conversation than an interview.
The questions I remember are:
-Why Wash U/STL
-Why law
-Tell me about your campaign work (my resume is all political campaigns - if you have extensive experience in a certain area, you'll probably be asked about it)
-What do you think you can bring to the university
-What do you enjoy doing for fun
-She asked something about my personal statement but I don't remember
-A few other questions that I don't recall but it was very conversational

I think what helped me get such a large scholarship despite my mediocre LSAT score is that I really drove home the fact that I want to live in St. Louis after graduation due to my family being nearby and therefore Wash U is my first choice. It's a fallback plan for so many people that I think they really like to hear about students who WANT to go there, and aren't just applying for scholarship negotiation purposes or as a backup plan. Even if it isn't your first choice, I would talk about how much you love the school and city. It definitely helped me, in my opinion.

Just be genuine and enjoy yourself! All the adcomms are extremely laid back and easy to talk to.
Thanks to both of you! The tips are extremely helpful, appreciate it!

sleigh1101

New

Post by sleigh1101 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:13 pm

sumrum24 wrote:
sleigh1101 wrote:Hey guys! So, I got a scholarship that I am really happy with. 50k per year w/ no conditions. My question is, since tuition is more like 53-54 per year, is it worth negotiating for more? I don't want to seem greedy. I'm just worried that costs w/ books and fees will add up.
What were your stats?
167 and 3.98.

snowball17

New

Post by snowball17 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:47 pm

bwaldorf wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:I have my interview this week! Any tips/advice?
Should I expect the standard "let's talk about your resume, why law, why WUSTL" questions and then the "here's why WashU is great" pitch?
It's really laid back. Mine was more of a conversation than an interview.
The questions I remember are:
-Why Wash U/STL
-Why law
-Tell me about your campaign work (my resume is all political campaigns - if you have extensive experience in a certain area, you'll probably be asked about it)
-What do you think you can bring to the university
-What do you enjoy doing for fun
-She asked something about my personal statement but I don't remember
-A few other questions that I don't recall but it was very conversational

I think what helped me get such a large scholarship despite my mediocre LSAT score is that I really drove home the fact that I want to live in St. Louis after graduation due to my family being nearby and therefore Wash U is my first choice. It's a fallback plan for so many people that I think they really like to hear about students who WANT to go there, and aren't just applying for scholarship negotiation purposes or as a backup plan. Even if it isn't your first choice, I would talk about how much you love the school and city. It definitely helped me, in my opinion.

Just be genuine and enjoy yourself! All the adcomms are extremely laid back and easy to talk to.
This! I know some people say that the interview is mostly a formality, but I feel that my interview definitely helped me get a larger-than-expected scholarship. Being a CA native with no ties to WUSTL or St Louis, the interview really allowed me to express my interest in the school.

lawsforeign

New

Post by lawsforeign » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:15 pm

So I applied on 02/07 and got an interview request on 02/09, two days later. I was super surprised because I'm a super reverse-splitter (154/3.95) and just applied there as a super reach option. English is my 3rd language and I had a few things that hindered my LSAT study and shortened it to 2 months only, with a full time job - hence the super low score. Retaking is not an option, as I will have to go back to my home country if I don't start in the Fall. I have average softs (diversity-focused leadership in undergrad, US Senate campaign internship) and I'm an international student. My interview is this Thursday.

Any reverse splitters here have been through the interview? Will they ask specific questions about your numbers?

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:31 pm

lawsforeign wrote:So I applied on 02/07 and got an interview request on 02/09, two days later. I was super surprised because I'm a super reverse-splitter (154/3.95) and just applied there as a super reach option. English is my 3rd language and I had a few things that hindered my LSAT study and shortened it to 2 months only, with a full time job - hence the super low score. Retaking is not an option, as I will have to go back to my home country if I don't start in the Fall. I have average softs (diversity-focused leadership in undergrad, US Senate campaign internship) and I'm an international student. My interview is this Thursday.

Any reverse splitters here have been through the interview? Will they ask specific questions about your numbers?
Reverse splitter. I'll PM you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

snowball17

New

Post by snowball17 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:36 pm

lawsforeign wrote:So I applied on 02/07 and got an interview request on 02/09, two days later. I was super surprised because I'm a super reverse-splitter (154/3.95) and just applied there as a super reach option. English is my 3rd language and I had a few things that hindered my LSAT study and shortened it to 2 months only, with a full time job - hence the super low score. Retaking is not an option, as I will have to go back to my home country if I don't start in the Fall. I have average softs (diversity-focused leadership in undergrad, US Senate campaign internship) and I'm an international student. My interview is this Thursday.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but have you thought about applying to a one-year masters program? It would allow you to stay another year in the US and study for a LSAT retake. That GPA is just too good to waste! A 165 or even 160 would open so many doors for you.

lawsforeign

New

Post by lawsforeign » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:02 pm

snowball17 wrote:

I know it's not what you want to hear, but have you thought about applying to a one-year masters program? It would allow you to stay another year in the US and study for a LSAT retake. That GPA is just too good to waste! A 165 or even 160 would open so many doors for you.
I don't have the money to do it or time it seems like. Do you know of any masters programs that don't need the GRE and offer scholarships at this point? Because I've been looking and couldn't find anything unfortunately. My undergrad was done in a cheap regional schools with scholarships, which is how I could afford it. I can only stay in the country until September.

If I go back home and apply next cycle, I might not be granted another visa and that is too risky. I've built my life in the US the past 5 years and leaving for one year would severely impact my life as my country has little to offer in the economic crisis it's currently in.

mebouras

New

Post by mebouras » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:10 pm

Hi guys,

long time lurker, and I submitted my application for WUSTL in early January, was invited to interview two days later, completed the interview on 1/24, and have heard nothing since. I'm a reverse splitter, and don't know if I should be worried about 3 weeks of silence. I got a nice email from my interviewer (Mary Ann Clifford), and responded with a thank you.
Anxiety and panic is setting in....

supersean

New

Post by supersean » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:18 pm

Another new member checking in, I applied about a month ago. I interviewed and was accepted in about 9 days which is an impressive turn around time on Wash U's part. WUSTL is one of my top choices right now considering their generous scholarship offer, and their great employment figures/super-regional status. My stats are 168, 3.63 in case anyone was wondering. I look forward to being a part of this discussion from here on out!

Oh and for those asking about the interview above, it was an awesome experience. I did it over Skype and they are exceedingly friendly, and understanding. They asked general questions like why law school, why wash u, why your undergrad school, discuss your experiences and life, etc. However, the interviewer was so kind and friendly it just felt like a great discussion with a friend. My advice would be don't stress it to anyone preparing for their interviewer, just be yourself and try your best to transmit that through the computer screen!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

amberb94

Bronze

Post by amberb94 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:14 pm

Hi everyone, do admissions packets come via USPS or UPS?

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:19 pm

amberb94 wrote:Hi everyone, do admissions packets come via USPS or UPS?
i was admitted on 1/20 and haven't received anything via mail. i don't think they do admission packets.

supersean

New

Post by supersean » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:26 pm

amta wrote:
i was admitted on 1/20 and haven't received anything via mail. i don't think they do admission packets.
I agree, I'm pretty sure its all done through email at WUSTL.

amberb94

Bronze

Post by amberb94 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:33 pm

supersean wrote:
amta wrote:
I agree, I'm pretty sure its all done through email at WUSTL.
Okay thanks y'all!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jza1994

Bronze

Post by jza1994 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:06 pm

They didn't ask me, but I'm not a reverse splitter to the same degree (161/3.85) and had a lot to talk about from my resume and PS.

mebouras wrote:Hi guys,

long time lurker, and I submitted my application for WUSTL in early January, was invited to interview two days later, completed the interview on 1/24, and have heard nothing since. I'm a reverse splitter, and don't know if I should be worried about 3 weeks of silence. I got a nice email from my interviewer (Mary Ann Clifford), and responded with a thank you.
Anxiety and panic is setting in....
Also a reverse splitter, applied mid-January, received a request to interview the next business day, interviewed the same week as you, was interviewed by Mary, received an email from her after and thanked her, and haven't received a decision. Looks like we are in the same boat.

Pinkpanda24

Bronze

Post by Pinkpanda24 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:12 pm

lawsforeign wrote:
snowball17 wrote:

I don't have the money to do it or time it seems like. Do you know of any masters programs that don't need the GRE and offer scholarships at this point? Because I've been looking and couldn't find anything unfortunately. My undergrad was done in a cheap regional schools with scholarships, which is how I could afford it. I can only stay in the country until September.

If I go back home and apply next cycle, I might not be granted another visa and that is too risky. I've built my life in the US the past 5 years and leaving for one year would severely impact my life as my country has little to offer in the economic crisis it's currently in.
Congrats on getting an interview!! I have a lower LSAT for WUSTL as well and interviewed/was accepted. They never asked me about numbers, just wanted to gauge my interest and have a conversation about my law career aspirations. Good luck :)

supersean

New

Post by supersean » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:46 am

sleigh1101 wrote:Hey guys! So, I got a scholarship that I am really happy with. 50k per year w/ no conditions. My question is, since tuition is more like 53-54 per year, is it worth negotiating for more? I don't want to seem greedy. I'm just worried that costs w/ books and fees will add up.

Hey congrats on that scholarship! I'm in a similar position but was offered 48k a year. I'm wondering if you tried/had any success negotiating?

I'm currently waiting on offers/acceptances from better/equivalent schools but really don't foresee any other school coming close to offering me as large a scholarship. Also, housing in St. Louis (even close to the school) seems very reasonable so I can't really use another schools total COA to ask for more from wustl since they have the lowest calculated total COA of all my T1 acceptances so far.

Not sure how I could go about leveraging them for more but lst reports shows they average a 3% tuition increase each year which certainly adds up too.

lawof11

New

Post by lawof11 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:15 pm

What seems to be the skinny on WUSTL's waitlist? I was waitlisted this AM. Big list? Small list? It would probably be financially difficult to attend if admitted, but I was just curious.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:41 pm

shotgunheist wrote:Waitlisted at low 160's and 3.7x

At least I got a chance! Will ride this out with a killer LOCI, maybe.
I'm sorry! I was really rooting for you.

Do a killer LOCI. I've heard that WUSTL does notice who visits, so if you're able to, I'd visit!

JDrat

Bronze

Post by JDrat » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:45 pm

WLed. 167/Superior. International applicant :(

MFAZ1212

New

Post by MFAZ1212 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:42 pm

Lots of reverse splitters being accepted this cycle

SNightHighlights

New

Post by SNightHighlights » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:54 pm

Just had my interview, was not tough at all! I remember the questions because they were so basic

- why WUSTL?
- why law?
- what area of law?
- Question about my work experience
- what are your hobbies?

These questions were followed by a few questions from me
- Generic question about law firms in the area and summer work.
- On a scale of Northwestern to Vanderbilt, how "Collegial" is WUSTL?
- What Clinical opportunities do you think set WUSTL apart from other top law schools?

Like I said, it was very chill, very conversational. Not a thing to stress about. It was a great experience and I think very highly of WUSTL. Hope I get in w/ a good scholarship!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

shehulk16

New

Post by shehulk16 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:00 pm

Hi, another longtime lurker here! I submitted my application in late decision and have been stuck at the "Application Documents Received" status since 1/9 with no interview invite or further communication from WUSTL. I'm a URM with GPA > 25th and LSAT = 50th with decent softs. Should I just give up hope?

snowball17

New

Post by snowball17 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:05 pm

Last edited by snowball17 on Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shehulk16

New

Post by shehulk16 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:08 pm

snowball17 wrote:
shehulk16 wrote:Hi, another longtime lurker here! I submitted my application in late decision and have been stuck at the "Application Documents Received" status since 1/9 with no interview invite or further communication from WUSTL. I'm a URM with GPA > 25th and LSAT = 50th with decent softs. Should I just give up hope?
168 LSAT? I would definitely send them a quick email inquiring about an interview opportunity. People with similar stats (non-URM) have been accepted with $$$. I've heard success stories about people asking for an interview and getting a request the next day. Good luck!!

My LSAT isn't quite 168, but it's close, should have been more specific! But thank you, I'll inquire!

tncats

Bronze

Post by tncats » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:22 pm

shehulk16 wrote:
snowball17 wrote:
shehulk16 wrote:Hi, another longtime lurker here! I submitted my application in late decision and have been stuck at the "Application Documents Received" status since 1/9 with no interview invite or further communication from WUSTL. I'm a URM with GPA > 25th and LSAT = 50th with decent softs. Should I just give up hope?
168 LSAT? I would definitely send them a quick email inquiring about an interview opportunity. People with similar stats (non-URM) have been accepted with $$$. I've heard success stories about people asking for an interview and getting a request the next day. Good luck!!

My LSAT isn't quite 168, but it's close, should have been more specific! But thank you, I'll inquire!
I could be wrong, but it seems like they haven't sent interview requests to people who are below 168 with lower GPAs yet. I've been waiting with a 167 since early December and haven't heard anything from them.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”