WUSTL C/O 2020 (2016-2017) Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Final Poll - What's your status?

Dinged :(
3%
Waitlisted - Withdrew
No votes
Waitlisted - Riding it Out
21%
Admitted - Withdrew
26%
Admitted - Attending!
27%
Still Waiting on a Decision
22%

Total votes: 91

bitter_melon

Bronze

Re: WUSTL C/O 2020 (2016-2017) Applicants

Post by bitter_melon » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:16 pm

jhc14 wrote:
bitter_melon wrote:
jhc14 wrote:
bitter_melon wrote:I really want to go to WashU but I'm hardcore getting cold feet :(
why?
Don't know if I want to live in St. Louis, don't know how easy it would be to come back to the east coast, would miss my life here, would miss my hobbies here, think DC might be a better environment for me, etc
Those are all valid concerns. Do you have a better option?

Edit: visiting the school helped me a lot
I visited WashU and absolutely loved it. That made it my top choice. But I'm still considering GW.

jhc14

New

Post by jhc14 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:23 pm

bitter_melon wrote:
I visited WashU and absolutely loved it. That made it my top choice. But I'm still considering GW.
Visit GW too, if you haven't. Idk I'm still having a hard time choosing too, so I'm not an expert. But I think if you've moved to a new state for college or work before, then you have some idea of how you will handle moving to st Louis. And if you've never done something like this, you just need to think through if you will enjoy the new experiences or whether it will just make it harder for you. St Louis seems really friendly, affordable, and manageable as a new home. But it is still far from the east coast.

bitter_melon

Bronze

Post by bitter_melon » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:31 pm

jhc14 wrote:
bitter_melon wrote:
Visit GW too, if you haven't. Idk I'm still having a hard time choosing too, so I'm not an expert. But I think if you've moved to a new state for college or work before, then you have some idea of how you will handle moving to st Louis. And if you've never done something like this, you just need to think through if you will enjoy the new experiences or whether it will just make it harder for you. St Louis seems really friendly, affordable, and manageable as a new home. But it is still far from the east coast.
I've visited GW and I liked it, didn't love it. But I mean what I'm expressing here is in a big way, cold feet. I know all of the pros and cons of both, I've weighed them against each other and I think WashU is a better choice. But that doesn't mean that the cons don't hurt.

Kopetz

Bronze

Post by Kopetz » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:10 pm

Just got a bump in my scholarship up to 150k after a negotiation email. Not quite a full ride, but close enough for me. Still waiting to hear back about and extension on the deposit deadline, but WUSTL is looking like my first choice right now.

finaciardi

New

Post by finaciardi » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:28 pm

Kopetz wrote:Just got a bump in my scholarship up to 150k after a negotiation email. Not quite a full ride, but close enough for me. Still waiting to hear back about and extension on the deposit deadline, but WUSTL is looking like my first choice right now.
Last edited by finaciardi on Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

haley12

Silver

Post by haley12 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:30 pm

Kopetz wrote:Just got a bump in my scholarship up to 150k after a negotiation email. Not quite a full ride, but close enough for me. Still waiting to hear back about and extension on the deposit deadline, but WUSTL is looking like my first choice right now.
what'd you say in the email?

ChambanaMan

New

Post by ChambanaMan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:29 pm

Where do we make the deposit? All I can find on the Admitted Students website is the section titled "Deposit Information." The only choice on that page is to accept their offer of admission.

haley12

Silver

Post by haley12 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:38 am

ChambanaMan wrote:Where do we make the deposit? All I can find on the Admitted Students website is the section titled "Deposit Information." The only choice on that page is to accept their offer of admission.
You have to accept it to make the deposit.

jhc14

New

Post by jhc14 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:43 am

Nice! Congrats. Hopefully they get back to you asap with the deposit deadline so soon. I sent mine last night

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

matchesmalone17

New

Post by matchesmalone17 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:13 pm

haley12 wrote:
what'd you say in the email?
+1

Kopetz

Bronze

Post by Kopetz » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:11 pm

I've been responding to questions via PM, but for the public benefit, here's a general description of my scholarship negotiation:

I wrote a letter, maybe three quarters of a page single spaced, and didn't even mention other schools at first. The paragraphs, in order, were basically:

-Thanks for admission and scholarship, affirm sincere interest in attendance
-Indicate concern about the cost of legal edcuation. Here I included a rough estimate of my day-after-graduation loan principal, and a calculation of the interest I would have accrued before I even started working as a lawyer
-Why this is a problem, given that I have no intent to pursue Biglaw and want to work in public service
-Brief explication of my public service background (I was a Peace Corps volunteer and I've always worked in nonprofit and government roles for my professional career so far)
-Final thank you and invitation to reply or call me to discuss further

Shortly after I sent the email, they responded to ask explicitly whether I had competitive offers from peer schools. I responded with two of my current offers - a full ride + stipend from my hometown flagship and the full/10/10 from Colorado (neither really a "peer school" to WUSTL, but I was seriously considering both) - and indicated that I was negotiating scholarships with Colorado, UW, Georgetown, and Northwestern. I also indicated that I still had applications outstanding at a few other schools in the T14.

This was all about two weeks ago, so I imagine they had scholarship negotiation meetings in the meantime before deciding to up my grant. Also, for those of you who haven't seen it yet, Spivey & Co. posted a great blog with tips for negotiating scholarships.

gwillygecko

Bronze

Post by gwillygecko » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:37 pm

Logged in and withdrew a few minutes ago. It was hard to do because I really enjoyed my visit in February and it is a good school. But in the end I didnt want to live in st louis for 3 years, among other reasons.

Best of luck to everyone going there, and maybe this will open up a spot for somebody!

shao

New

Post by shao » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:29 am

You guys know how to ask for a scholarship if you have no other offer in hand? I mean none at all. Maybe shouldn't expect any money then?

Going to have an interview in a few days and this is kinda stressful thinking about what to say if they ask me "what else do you have"...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:38 am

shao wrote:You guys know how to ask for a scholarship if you have no other offer in hand? I mean none at all. Maybe shouldn't expect any money then?

Going to have an interview in a few days and this is kinda stressful thinking about what to say if they ask me "what else do you have"...
Are you in better schools? How's your cycle gone?

shao

New

Post by shao » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:26 am

guybourdin wrote:
shao wrote:You guys know how to ask for a scholarship if you have no other offer in hand? I mean none at all. Maybe shouldn't expect any money then?

No. I asked b/c WUSTL is the only school I got in so far... yet I am trying to ask for money... :|

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:32 am

shao wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

No. I asked b/c WUSTL is the only school I got in so far... yet I am trying to ask for money... :|
When did you apply? Who else are you waiting on? Have you been denied or WLd anywhere?

shao

New

Post by shao » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:13 pm

guybourdin wrote:
shao wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

When did you apply? Who else are you waiting on? Have you been denied or WLd anywhere?
I applied in January, waiting on all T6 except Harvard(waitlisted), WLed at most T7-T14...Sad story. I applied everywhere else in November or December. Thanks for advice!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

StopLawying

Silver

Post by StopLawying » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:01 pm

Ok guys, so ppl with my numbers have gotten $100,000+, I didn't get anything. Emailed them this past week with very generous offer from USC and a few top 14 acceptances. Got a response back that the scholarship committee is meeting at the end of the week blah blah blah and they'll get back to me. I also asked for a deposit deadline extension and the admissions person said she'll forward my request.

Fast forward to now and I still haven't gotten a response. Deposit deadline is today. I'm really upset with the way WashU has handled this whole thing. If you didn't offer me $ it's fine, but at least send me an email informing me of that like some other schools. It's really making this hard, and I'm not sure what to do now with only a few hours remaining to pay the deposit.

Any advice, or is there just nothing I can do? I would seriously consider WashU with the right amount of $.

baseballfan660

Bronze

Post by baseballfan660 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:02 pm

StopLawying wrote:Ok guys, so ppl with my numbers have gotten $100,000+, I didn't get anything. Emailed them this past week with very generous offer from USC and a few top 14 acceptances. Got a response back that the scholarship committee is meeting at the end of the week blah blah blah and they'll get back to me. I also asked for a deposit deadline extension and the admissions person said she'll forward my request.

Fast forward to now and I still haven't gotten a response. Deposit deadline is today. I'm really upset with the way WashU has handled this whole thing. If you didn't offer me $ it's fine, but at least send me an email informing me of that like some other schools. It's really making this hard, and I'm not sure what to do now with only a few hours remaining to pay the deposit.

Any advice, or is there just nothing I can do? I would seriously consider WashU with the right amount of $.
The deposit was technically due 6 pm eastern time, so you already missed out on it technically, I guess I would keep emailing them, but not exactly sure since you technically might not have a seat anymore

BabyDoc2JD

New

Post by BabyDoc2JD » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:06 pm

baseballfan660 wrote:
StopLawying wrote:Ok guys, so ppl with my numbers have gotten $100,000+, I didn't get anything. Emailed them this past week with very generous offer from USC and a few top 14 acceptances. Got a response back that the scholarship committee is meeting at the end of the week blah blah blah and they'll get back to me. I also asked for a deposit deadline extension and the admissions person said she'll forward my request.

The deposit was technically due 6 pm eastern time, so you already missed out on it technically, I guess I would keep emailing them, but not exactly sure since you technically might not have a seat anymore
Go to a T14 you will be better off in the end.

sorence

Bronze

Post by sorence » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:12 pm

No advice, but +1 on the "we'll get back to you" re:a deadline extension. Haven't heard a peep since then and I'm not so impressed with it. At least you're not alone!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

StopLawying

Silver

Post by StopLawying » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:54 pm

sorence wrote:

No advice, but +1 on the "we'll get back to you" re:a deadline extension. Haven't heard a peep since then and I'm not so impressed with it. At least you're not alone!
Thanks, it's good knowing I'm not alone at least. Did you pay the deposit today? I'm wondering if you automatically lose seat once you don't pay

TLSTex2020

New

Post by TLSTex2020 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:09 am

I received an extension to 4/15 for the deposit, but now I am panicking because I didn't realize that there was a separate "accept the offer" button on the portal. Is it okay that I didn't press that button until after the 4/1 deadline or am I screwed even though I had a deposit extension?

njdevils327

Bronze

Post by njdevils327 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:02 pm

TLSTex2020 wrote:I received an extension to 4/15 for the deposit, but now I am panicking because I didn't realize that there was a separate "accept the offer" button on the portal. Is it okay that I didn't press that button until after the 4/1 deadline or am I screwed even though I had a deposit extension?
You're okay I think

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:52 pm

njdevils327 wrote:
TLSTex2020 wrote:I received an extension to 4/15 for the deposit, but now I am panicking because I didn't realize that there was a separate "accept the offer" button on the portal. Is it okay that I didn't press that button until after the 4/1 deadline or am I screwed even though I had a deposit extension?
You're okay I think
Also curious about this

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”