WUSTL C/O 2020 (2016-2017) Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Final Poll - What's your status?

Dinged :(
3%
Waitlisted - Withdrew
No votes
Waitlisted - Riding it Out
21%
Admitted - Withdrew
26%
Admitted - Attending!
27%
Still Waiting on a Decision
22%

Total votes: 91

WatchClosely

Bronze

Re: WUSTL C/O 2020 (2016-2017) Applicants

Post by WatchClosely » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:22 pm

Last edited by WatchClosely on Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

lawboundsomeday

New

Post by lawboundsomeday » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:56 am

bitter_melon wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
bitter_melon wrote:Per one of the deans at ASD, the class of 2016 BL+Clerkship rate was 46%...
That would be an incredible jump. There's no way, right? If that were the case they would release their employment disclosures as early as possible.
I'm emailing the admissions team to confirm if that's correct. They let it slip during an alumni panel, but I didn't get a chance to speak to the associate Dean who mentioned it afterwards. Would obviously be kind of a game changer if it's true, so I wanna know before seat deposits are due.
Yeah, please respond with what they say. That number is a game changer. It's also on one of the documents that they gave out, the exact phrasing is:

"In a broad sense, about 46% of our Class of 2016 has chosen to practice law in a large law firm or clerk immediately after graduation."

There's a lot to interpret there.

I'd love to learn if you get more detail too. How do they define large firm? How do they define clerk? If true, it's a nice increase for them but as you say, there's a lot to interpret there. . .

jza1994

Bronze

Post by jza1994 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:48 am

lawboundsomeday wrote:
bitter_melon wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
bitter_melon wrote:Per one of the deans at ASD, the class of 2016 BL+Clerkship rate was 46%...
That would be an incredible jump. There's no way, right? If that were the case they would release their employment disclosures as early as possible.
I'm emailing the admissions team to confirm if that's correct. They let it slip during an alumni panel, but I didn't get a chance to speak to the associate Dean who mentioned it afterwards. Would obviously be kind of a game changer if it's true, so I wanna know before seat deposits are due.
Yeah, please respond with what they say. That number is a game changer. It's also on one of the documents that they gave out, the exact phrasing is:

"In a broad sense, about 46% of our Class of 2016 has chosen to practice law in a large law firm or clerk immediately after graduation."

There's a lot to interpret there.

I'd love to learn if you get more detail too. How do they define large firm? How do they define clerk? If true, it's a nice increase for them but as you say, there's a lot to interpret there. . .
In the separate programming for guests, they specifically mentioned the 46% number and how it is significantly higher than last year ("because more people self-selected out of it before"), according to my guest.

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:47 am

How many students usually get in off the WL?

69waystodie

New

Post by 69waystodie » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:01 pm

Are any admitted students from a few weeks ago still waiting on the fabled shirt email? Or is there any way to order it from the admitted students site?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bitter_melon

Bronze

Post by bitter_melon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:18 pm

littlekidlover wrote:
TLSTex2020 wrote:Would anyone who went to the Admitted Student Days mind telling us about their impression of WUSTL? I'm bummed I had to miss it, but I'd love to hear someone's experience!
I am someone who didn't anticipate WUSTL being a serious option. I applied because I'm a splitter and it's a no-brainer to apply there for scholarship negotiation purposes if you're a splitter. In fact, early on in this process I wrote out all of the schools I applied to and ranked them in terms of my preference, and WUSTL was something like #15. The ASW basically changed that entirely. It's an amazing institution - both the law school and the university generally speaking. The Central West End neighborhood where most law students seem to live is affordable, safe, and has a pretty great night life scene. All of the students and staff I spoke with were kind, helpful, and made compelling cases for WUSTL. Seemed to have a really strong and positive culture.
I have a fairly similar story. WashU wasn't really on my radar until pretty recently, and I applied kind of for the heck of it. I've since been extremely impressed with the school and the institution in general. There are some schools that I've seen where I've heard deans/students/faculty/staff speak and it just feels kind of... soulless? It just doesn't feel like there is any cohesive mission statement, just a lot of people on autopilot or working on their own behalves. Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that, those were all great schools. But at WashU, it really felt like every single person was fully committed to the school, and that there is someone at the helm who has some sort of guiding philosophy. It's hard to really explain, but it just all seemed very cohesive, like everyone there has a real passion for the school.That 46% number might also be a game changer, pending on clarification, but employment numbers are good in general and they seem committed to developing a national placement. I totally didn't expect to end up going there, but I'm getting ready to write them a check before the April 1 deposit deadline.
Last edited by bitter_melon on Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jza1994

Bronze

Post by jza1994 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:19 pm

69waystodie wrote:Are any admitted students from a few weeks ago still waiting on the fabled shirt email? Or is there any way to order it from the admitted students site?
Admitted at the very end of Feb and still waiting. We just have to be patient, I suppose.

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:29 pm

jza1994 wrote:
69waystodie wrote:Are any admitted students from a few weeks ago still waiting on the fabled shirt email? Or is there any way to order it from the admitted students site?
Admitted at the very end of Feb and still waiting. We just have to be patient, I suppose.
I waited almost three months between admittance and getting the e-mail, so it could be a while. :P

haley12

Silver

Post by haley12 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:29 pm

bitter_melon wrote:
littlekidlover wrote:
TLSTex2020 wrote:Would anyone who went to the Admitted Student Days mind telling us about their impression of WUSTL? I'm bummed I had to miss it, but I'd love to hear someone's experience!
I am someone who didn't anticipate WUSTL being a serious option. I applied because I'm a splitter and it's a no-brainer to apply there for scholarship negotiation purposes if you're a splitter. In fact, early on in this process I wrote out all of the schools I applied to and ranked them in terms of my preference, and WUSTL was something like #15. The ASW basically changed that entirely. It's an amazing institution - both the law school and the university generally speaking. The Central West End neighborhood where most law students seem to live is affordable, safe, and has a pretty great night life scene. All of the students and staff I spoke with were kind, helpful, and made compelling cases for WUSTL. Seemed to have a really strong and positive culture.
I have a fairly similar story. WashU wasn't really on my radar until pretty recently, and I applied kind of for the heck of it. I've since been extremely impressed with the school and the institution in general. There are some schools that I've seen where I've heard deans/students/faculty/staff speak and it just feels kind of... soulless? It just doesn't feel like there is any cohesive mission statement, just a lot of people on autopilot or working on their own behalves. Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that, those were all great schools. But at WashU, it really felt like every single person was fully committed to the school, and that there is someone at the helm who has some sort of guiding philosophy. It's hard to really explain, but it just all seemed very cohesive, like everyone there has a real passion for the school.That 46% number might also be a game changer, pending on clarification, but employment numbers are good in general and they seem committed to developing a national placement. I totally didn't expect to end up going there, but I'm getting ready to write them a check before the April 1 deposit deadline.
I also had that experience, splitter and all. If a law school can be ambitious, WashU is. The dean is amazing and seemed to really care about each student, and the professors were very impressive. Through a scheduling mishap, I got one-on-one time with a professor for 20 minutes and she gave me sincere advice, which I really appreciated. Great experience overall and I met so many cool people.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

haley12

Silver

Post by haley12 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:30 pm

Anyone looking for roommates yet? And how?

I'm not committed, just wondering :)

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:34 pm

haley12 wrote:Anyone looking for roommates yet? And how?

I'd rather die than have a roommate, tbh. Haha. Rent is cheap enough in STL that I just don't want to risk having a crazy person to live with during law school.

I think there's a link on the accepted students website for roommate search? Or you could join the FB group and ask around!

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:37 pm

Yeah, I think WashU's decision to kind of forgo lots of panels and instead focus on small group meetings with faculty really paid off. That's where they kind of won me over. I was in one of Dan Epps' sessions, and we ran over time so a few of us asked if he'd join us for lunch. Sure enough he showed up and spent the hour talking to a few of us about all kinds of stuff, which I really appreciated. I got a really good idea from him and another professor of how exactly I could go to WashU and pursue my goals.

haley12

Silver

Post by haley12 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:39 pm

bwaldorf wrote:

I'd rather die than have a roommate, tbh. Haha. Rent is cheap enough in STL that I just don't want to risk having a crazy person to live with during law school.

I think there's a link on the accepted students website for roommate search? Or you could join the FB group and ask around!
Planning to live by myself as well if I end up here, I was just wondering about the roommate search. I actually toured some amazing studio/1 BD apartments in CWE this past weekend! The new citizen park complex is pretty luxe.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gwillygecko

Bronze

Post by gwillygecko » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:41 pm

jza1994 wrote:
Last edited by gwillygecko on Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bitter_melon

Bronze

Post by bitter_melon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:43 pm

Not yet, but I might be interested in having a roommate. I dunno, just looking at Craigslist it's clear that rent is cheap so it's not a big deal to live alone, but having a roommate does have some advantages.

haley12

Silver

Post by haley12 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:44 pm

bwaldorf wrote:

Do you know what the fb group is called? I can't find it.

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:49 pm

haley12 wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:

Planning to live by myself as well if I end up here, I was just wondering about the roommate search. I actually toured some amazing studio/1 BD apartments in CWE this past weekend! The new citizen park complex is pretty luxe.
oh my gosh, I need to check that out. The ones I had bookmarked online weren't very impressive in person. :(

The link is in the WUSTL Class of 2020 thread.. I'm on my phone so I can't find it right now

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TLSTex2020

New

Post by TLSTex2020 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:52 pm

Do you guys know anything about WashU's placement in Texas? I'm really excited about the school, but I don't know if I want to be limited to Missouri.

njdevils327

Bronze

Post by njdevils327 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:22 pm

If I commit, and I'm leaning that way right now, I wouldn't mind a roommate for my first year at least, to make me feel less lonely in a new place.

So hit me up if you have cool places you're looking at in Delmar Loop or Central West End

njdevils327

Bronze

Post by njdevils327 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:29 pm

Hey all, my friend is still waiting on Financial Aid (Scholarship) info from Wash U and they are headed towards the April 1st Seat Deposit deadline. I was wondering if anyone knew the proper person to contact with the question regarding whether they should be expecting a scholarship award? And then, assuming she does not recieve an initial scholarship offer, does anyone know the proper email address to send a scholarship appeal letter to?

Kopetz

Bronze

Post by Kopetz » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:32 pm

njdevils327 wrote:Hey all, my friend is still waiting on Financial Aid (Scholarship) info from Wash U and they are headed towards the April 1st Seat Deposit deadline. I was wondering if anyone knew the proper person to contact with the question regarding whether they should be expecting a scholarship award? And then, assuming she does not recieve an initial scholarship offer, does anyone know the proper email address to send a scholarship appeal letter to?
All of my correspondence, including my scholarship offer and subsequent negotiation, has been conducted through the applylaw (at) wustl (dot) edu address.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:33 pm

WashU had the best ASW i've been to yet. the focus on small groups was so effective. they also did a great facilitating discussion with faculty and current student. overall a great experience and definitely made WashU a serious option for law schoool.

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:00 pm

Just heard back from WashU's adcomm office about the 46% employment number.

They told me that it IS referring to the upcoming 2016 data release, and that they are waiting for the ABA to certify the data before they can officially post it online.

So, we're still waiting on independent confirmation of it, but it sounds like they did have some kind of huge employment score boost. Would explain why there were willing to throw the number out over the weekend; must be confident the ABA reports will confirm it.

Scurvy Cur

New

Post by Scurvy Cur » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:07 pm

Thanks for checking in on that and getting back to us.

I'm in the middle of clarifying a few things about the seating deposit myself.

bitter_melon

Bronze

Post by bitter_melon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:11 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:Just heard back from WashU's adcomm office about the 46% employment number.

They told me that it IS referring to the upcoming 2016 data release, and that they are waiting for the ABA to certify the data before they can officially post it online.

So, we're still waiting on independent confirmation of it, but it sounds like they did have some kind of huge employment score boost. Would explain why there were willing to throw the number out over the weekend; must be confident the ABA reports will confirm it.
Just to clarify though, did they indicate that the number refers to what we refer to here as BL+FC? The wording on the promotional material was very ambiguous.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”