Texas C/O 2020 (2016-2017) Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What's your current / final status?

Dinged :(
5%
Waitlisted - Withdrew
No votes
Waitlisted - Riding it Out
12%
Admitted - Withdrew
14%
Admitted - Attending!
24%
Still Waiting on a Decision
45%

Total votes: 58

lucytucker01

New

Re: Texas C/O 2020 (2016-2017) Applicants

Post by lucytucker01 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:14 pm

So I applied at the beginning of December, and I still have not heard back yet. Anyone have any idea if there are any more acceptances coming out? Or what this might mean?

fastfretxfingers

New

Post by fastfretxfingers » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:17 pm

lucytucker01 wrote:So I applied at the beginning of December, and I still have not heard back yet. Anyone have any idea if there are any more acceptances coming out? Or what this might mean?
I haven't heard back and I applied in October (applied ED and then held). Checked LSN and didn't see any waitlisted individuals so would assume that may be next? Thoughts anyone?

BoyJord

Bronze

Post by BoyJord » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:30 pm

Applied November and it's been radio silence. Thinking there are WLs on the horizon. But then again, TX seems to be behind this cycle so maybe another wave of acceptances is about to roll out starting tomorrow... who knows?

Tazewell

Bronze

Post by Tazewell » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:18 pm

I know that they have sent out some waitlists because I have a friend who was waitlisted about a month ago and was just pulled off of the waitlist on Monday. I have no clue what his stats were though.

TLSTex2020

New

Post by TLSTex2020 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:20 am

fastfretxfingers wrote:
lucytucker01 wrote:So I applied at the beginning of December, and I still have not heard back yet. Anyone have any idea if there are any more acceptances coming out? Or what this might mean?
I haven't heard back and I applied in October (applied ED and then held). Checked LSN and didn't see any waitlisted individuals so would assume that may be next? Thoughts anyone?
THANK YOU two for saying something, I was starting to feel like the only one still waiting. I'm itching to send an LOCI or do something... I've even started to worry that my application isn't complete.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

futureellewoods123

Bronze

Post by futureellewoods123 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:58 am

TLSTex2020 wrote:
fastfretxfingers wrote:
THANK YOU two for saying something, I was starting to feel like the only one still waiting. I'm itching to send an LOCI or do something... I've even started to worry that my application isn't complete.
Maybe send in something, idk, I haven't gotten a decision either but something like a LOCI or why Texas can't hurt

bigflaw_ruleofjaw

New

Post by bigflaw_ruleofjaw » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:52 pm

Last edited by bigflaw_ruleofjaw on Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:43 pm

bigflaw_ruleofjaw wrote:I received a request for a "Why Texas" today. Complete rookie question, but is there any sort of prompt for this? I'm thinking not since there was no attachment and I can't find anything on the Texas site. It's essentially just a (500-600 word?) explanation of why you'd like to attend UT?
No prompt, other than Why UT. Some say it's just a formality. I highly disagree. If you fuck it up, that could easily mean rejection. Take it seriously, though, and you'll likely get in. Good luck!

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:43 am

I also got a solicited Why Texas via email today. I will research the school, and send in one in the next few days. But what does this letter mean? If I write a moderately convincing letter, would I get in? Or this is just them testing the waters to see if I am committed, but they haven't decided on whether to accept me or not?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tazewell

Bronze

Post by Tazewell » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:50 am

melmelcoolj wrote:I also got a solicited Why Texas via email today. I will research the school, and send in one in the next few days. But what does this letter mean? If I write a moderately convincing letter, would I get in? Or this is just them testing the waters to see if I am committed, but they haven't decided on whether to accept me or not?
It seems to mean that they want to accept you, but they want to make sure you're serious about going to UT first. Off the top of my head, I only remember one person ITT writing a Why Texas and not getting in, so the odds are in your favor.

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:42 am

Tazewell wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:I also got a solicited Why Texas via email today. I will research the school, and send in one in the next few days. But what does this letter mean? If I write a moderately convincing letter, would I get in? Or this is just them testing the waters to see if I am committed, but they haven't decided on whether to accept me or not?
It seems to mean that they want to accept you, but they want to make sure you're serious about going to UT first. Off the top of my head, I only remember one person ITT writing a Why Texas and not getting in, so the odds are in your favor.
Thanks Tazewell for the encouragement! I have heard so many bad news or "no news" (reserves, waitlists, holds) this cycle, I really need to be cheered up. I am sending one in tomorrow or the day after.

chichi1992

Bronze

Post by chichi1992 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:11 am

melmelcoolj wrote:
Tazewell wrote:
Thanks Tazewell for the encouragement! I have heard so many bad news or "no news" (reserves, waitlists, holds) this cycle, I really need to be cheered up. I am sending one in tomorrow or the day after.
Not to bring people down, but what happens at the beginning of a cycle may not be the same as what happens at the end. I applied in early January, was solicited to submit a Why Texas over a month ago, sent it within two days, and haven't heard a peep. Maybe an acceptance is coming this week, but at this point, I'm expecting a WL at best :(

I wrote about a few specific (and, I think, compelling) reasons why I want to attend UT...but who knows?

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:19 am

chichi1992 wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:
Tazewell wrote:
Not to bring people down, but what happens at the beginning of a cycle may not be the same as what happens at the end. I applied in early January, was solicited to submit a Why Texas over a month ago, sent it within two days, and haven't heard a peep. Maybe an acceptance is coming this week, but at this point, I'm expecting a WL at best :(

I wrote about a few specific (and, I think, compelling) reasons why I want to attend UT...but who knows?
Oh my goodness... Thanks for the input. I guess it is also possible that people who were ding-ed or WL-ed after writing a Why Texas Law essay do not really brag about it on forums. So we have never quite heard from them. Chichi, is it possible that your Why Texas essay is not compelling? What are your numbers?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chichi1992

Bronze

Post by chichi1992 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:42 am

melmelcoolj wrote:
chichi1992 wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:
Tazewell wrote:

Oh my goodness... Thanks for the input. I guess it is also possible that people who were ding-ed or WL-ed after writing a Why Texas Law essay do not really brag about it on forums. So we have never quite heard from them. Chichi, is it possible that your Why Texas essay is not compelling? What are your numbers?
If I get a WL or a ding, I am almost certain it will be because of my numbers--I'm at median LSAT, just below median GPA. Softs are decent. Sure, it's possible my Why Texas essay wasn't the MOST compelling, but I highly doubt the admissions committee read my Texas statement and thought, "Wow, we were GOING to admit chichi, but after reading this trash Why Texas essay, no way she's getting in here." If nothing else, my essay was pretty safe--an objectively well-written 1-page statement that highlighted my personal connections to the state and my specific interest in UT.

I wish I could read minds, because I was feeling really good about my chances after receiving the solicitation! I suppose there's still hope, but it's been a frustrating wait--especially after reading that nearly everyone who gets asked to write a Why Texas gets in. Maybe they received a rush of equally qualified OOS applicants in February, and have to sort through those before letting me know? It's hard to say, but like I said...my numbers are pretty average to begin with.

chichi1992

Bronze

Post by chichi1992 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:43 am

chichi1992 wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:
chichi1992 wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:
Tazewell wrote:

If I get a WL or a ding, I am almost certain it will be because of my numbers--I'm at median LSAT, just below median GPA. Softs are decent. Sure, it's possible my Why Texas essay wasn't the MOST compelling, but I highly doubt the admissions committee read my Texas statement and thought, "Wow, we were GOING to admit chichi, but after reading this trash Why Texas essay, no way she's getting in here." If nothing else, my essay was pretty safe--an objectively well-written 1-page statement that highlighted my personal connections to the state and my specific interest in UT.

I wish I could read minds, because I was feeling really good about my chances after receiving the solicitation! I suppose there's still hope, but it's been a frustrating wait--especially after reading that nearly everyone who gets asked to write a Why Texas gets in. Maybe they received a rush of equally qualified OOS applicants in February, and have to sort through those before letting me know? It's hard to say, but like I said...my numbers are pretty average to begin with.
But best of luck to you! Just putting in my two cents here. Now that they've likely read most applications, it might be good news for you that you are getting the solicitation late in the cycle :)

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:55 am

chichi1992 wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:
chichi1992 wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:
Tazewell wrote:

That seems a little weird, since they should have known your stats before they solicited the Why Texas essay. So you must have been in the run for an acceptance - or why did they even bother. It could be that they are just preparing the last batch of acceptances, and you are among them! Be a little more patient!

pipipipi

Bronze

Post by pipipipi » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:23 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:
Zipman wrote:I got in via call last week, and I'm a bit worried about getting my scholarship in time- I have another deposit due April 1st with a hefty scholarship attached that I'll lose if I don't deposit by then. Is it worth it to email admissions and let them know I've got that coming up, or would that be seen as rude?
Don't say that as the reason. Say something like, "Due to financial reasons, I may not meet the deposit deadline. May I please have an extension." That's what I've read around the forum. They'll likely give you a week or so based on the anecdotes.

Also, scholly info comes in two waves (it did for me at least, and took a total of roughly two weeks). I got an email telling me to sign into CASH and check my package. Received Zero Dollars. Zero. Then received another email about a week later stating I got the in-state exception, plus couple thousand a year. Don't fret!

I had the exact same question and I wish I had read your posts earlier. I literally told my April 1st school (I think we are talking about the same school) that I am waiting to hear from UT about scholarships...feeling like they will not give me an extension at all.

If anyone received a deposit extension from UT, can you please share the situation on the forum?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:04 pm

pipipipi wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
Zipman wrote:I got in via call last week, and I'm a bit worried about getting my scholarship in time- I have another deposit due April 1st with a hefty scholarship attached that I'll lose if I don't deposit by then. Is it worth it to email admissions and let them know I've got that coming up, or would that be seen as rude?
Don't say that as the reason. Say something like, "Due to financial reasons, I may not meet the deposit deadline. May I please have an extension." That's what I've read around the forum. They'll likely give you a week or so based on the anecdotes.

Also, scholly info comes in two waves (it did for me at least, and took a total of roughly two weeks). I got an email telling me to sign into CASH and check my package. Received Zero Dollars. Zero. Then received another email about a week later stating I got the in-state exception, plus couple thousand a year. Don't fret!

I had the exact same question and I wish I had read your posts earlier. I literally told my April 1st school (I think we are talking about the same school) that I am waiting to hear from UT about scholarships...feeling like they will not give me an extension at all.

If anyone received a deposit extension from UT, can you please share the situation on the forum?
Haven't yet but I will probably try to solicit one this week because my scholarship offered by UT expires 04/01 and I still have 4 schools to hear back from. Will update with the answer.

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:45 pm

poptart123 wrote:
pipipipi wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:

Haven't yet but I will probably try to solicit one this week because my scholarship offered by UT expires 04/01 and I still have 4 schools to hear back from. Will update with the answer.
I hope it's only expiring because you submitted a reconsideration form. Do unsolicited scholarships have expiration dates as well?

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:48 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
pipipipi wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:

I hope it's only expiring because you submitted a reconsideration form. Do unsolicited scholarships have expiration dates as well?
I guess just the general deposit deadline which is like 04/08 I think?

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:02 pm

poptart123 wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
pipipipi wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:

I guess just the general deposit deadline which is like 04/08 I think?
7th

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TLSTex2020

New

Post by TLSTex2020 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:07 pm

Anyone expecting movement this week? I looked at LSN's 2015-2016 data, and there seemed to be quite a bit of movement during this week last year.

cyclawps

Bronze

Post by cyclawps » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:16 pm

TLSTex2020 wrote:Anyone expecting movement this week? I looked at LSN's 2015-2016 data, and there seemed to be quite a bit of movement during this week last year.
That'd be great. I'm sitting complete since early Nov. Good luck!

TLSTex2020

New

Post by TLSTex2020 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:49 pm

cyclawps wrote:
TLSTex2020 wrote:Anyone expecting movement this week? I looked at LSN's 2015-2016 data, and there seemed to be quite a bit of movement during this week last year.
Wow! I've only been waiting since early January, but it's my top choice so I'm getting impatient. Good luck to you too!

cyclawps

Bronze

Post by cyclawps » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:56 pm

TLSTex2020 wrote:
cyclawps wrote:
Wow! I've only been waiting since early January, but it's my top choice so I'm getting impatient. Good luck to you too!
Yeah. Weirdly long wait given my PS and Why Texas? essay. I would have expected to hear back, even if it were a WL or ding.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”