Texas C/O 2020 (2016-2017) Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What's your current / final status?

Dinged :(
5%
Waitlisted - Withdrew
No votes
Waitlisted - Riding it Out
12%
Admitted - Withdrew
14%
Admitted - Attending!
24%
Still Waiting on a Decision
45%

Total votes: 58

mosunny

New

Re: Texas C/O 2020 (2016-2017) Applicants

Post by mosunny » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:26 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:
jlc058 wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
jlc058 wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:If anyone was concerned about scholly negotiations, you have until 3/31 if you've already submitted a form and received a counter to accept, or it's gone. For those that apply after 3/27 you have five business days to accept after receiving a counter. So, no rush. (I was worried as well, still worried, but less so)
So if you submit the form before 3/27 they have to reply with a counter offer before 3/31?
They dont have to. Once you get a reply, could be after the 31st, you have 5 business days to respond. There doesnt seem to be a hard deadline for submitting a reconsideration form. The language stipulates that if you submitted a form before 3/27, all offers will be rescinded by 3/31 unless you accept.
Yeah that language is what was making me think they would try to get the offers out before the 31st- If you submitted before 3/27 and get your offer on 3/29 and it will be rescinded on the 31st that seems like a crap deal compared to submitting later and getting five days to decide
you could always call and ask, but im pretty sure thats how it is.

From calling FinAid office, they raise scholarships on a rolling basis. Right now they are raising offers because they have extra money to give, may not be the same situation in April. So that is up-side to turning it in before March 27.

Bunbury

New

Post by Bunbury » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:07 am

Hey guys, is anyone still waiting to get a decision? Or is it just me? :)

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:27 am

Bunbury wrote:Hey guys, is anyone still waiting to get a decision? Or is it just me? :)
Yo. I applied the last day the app was open though so I shot myself in the foot

gizmo1024

Bronze

Post by gizmo1024 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:02 am

Bunbury wrote:Hey guys, is anyone still waiting to get a decision? Or is it just me? :)
Me! I applied mid-January. On LSN, it looks like they've rejected people who submitted in late-January and February, so they've at least glanced at the January apps.

beancounter15

New

Post by beancounter15 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:06 am

Yeah I went complete January 4th and still haven't heard back. Have seen people who applied after me get rejected me on lsn so I have a sickening feeling that I'm getting waitlisted at best.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ehf9634

New

Post by ehf9634 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:24 am

mosunny wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
jlc058 wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
jlc058 wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:If anyone was concerned about scholly negotiations, you have until 3/31 if you've already submitted a form and received a counter to accept, or it's gone. For those that apply after 3/27 you have five business days to accept after receiving a counter. So, no rush. (I was worried as well, still worried, but less so)
So if you submit the form before 3/27 they have to reply with a counter offer before 3/31?
They dont have to. Once you get a reply, could be after the 31st, you have 5 business days to respond. There doesnt seem to be a hard deadline for submitting a reconsideration form. The language stipulates that if you submitted a form before 3/27, all offers will be rescinded by 3/31 unless you accept.
Yeah that language is what was making me think they would try to get the offers out before the 31st- If you submitted before 3/27 and get your offer on 3/29 and it will be rescinded on the 31st that seems like a crap deal compared to submitting later and getting five days to decide

From calling FinAid office, they raise scholarships on a rolling basis. Right now they are raising offers because they have extra money to give, may not be the same situation in April. So that is up-side to turning it in before March 27.
How do you know they still have extra money to give? Did someone from the FinAid office tell you that?

chichi1992

Bronze

Post by chichi1992 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:28 am

gizmo1024 wrote:
Me! I applied mid-January. On LSN, it looks like they've rejected people who submitted in late-January and February, so they've at least glanced at the January apps.
I applied early Jan also. I got a Why Texas solicitation about a month ago and submitted it within a few days. I thought that might be a good sign...but no word yet :?

Lawser24

New

Post by Lawser24 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:39 am

chichi1992 wrote:
gizmo1024 wrote:
I applied early Jan also. I got a Why Texas solicitation about a month ago and submitted it within a few days. I thought that might be a good sign...but no word yet :?
Applied late December, sent in unsolicited Why Texas earlier this month, got word they added it to my file, but that's it. Kinda hoping they let us know relatively soon so we can get scholarship info/negotiate before seat deposit deadlines...

mosunny

New

Post by mosunny » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:51 am

ehf9634 wrote:
mosunny wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
jlc058 wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
jlc058 wrote:

How do you know they still have extra money to give? Did someone from the FinAid office tell you that?
Yes

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bunbury

New

Post by Bunbury » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:24 am

Lawser24 wrote:
chichi1992 wrote:
gizmo1024 wrote:
Applied late December, sent in unsolicited Why Texas earlier this month, got word they added it to my file, but that's it. Kinda hoping they let us know relatively soon so we can get scholarship info/negotiate before seat deposit deadlines...
My thoughts exactly :) Well I'm glad to know I'm in good company.

gizmo1024

Bronze

Post by gizmo1024 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:02 pm

Bunbury wrote:
Lawser24 wrote:
chichi1992 wrote:
gizmo1024 wrote:
Ok they just accepted someone who applied in February. I am dying on the inside... UT is my top choice.

Jonesy2020

New

Post by Jonesy2020 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:15 pm

gizmo1024 wrote:
Bunbury wrote:
Lawser24 wrote:
chichi1992 wrote:
gizmo1024 wrote:
Ok they just accepted someone who applied in February. I am dying on the inside... UT is my top choice.
Applied in late Jan, but I asked them to hold my app for my Feb LSAT retake. Definitely the right decision as I jumped 9 points, but slowly dying on the inside with this wait.

Zipman

New

Post by Zipman » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:15 pm

what's the general timeline between acceptances and scholly offers? I know a bunch of us got in last week, wondering when we'll hear anything.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Torres1893

Bronze

Post by Torres1893 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:18 pm

Zipman wrote:what's the general timeline between acceptances and scholly offers? I know a bunch of us got in last week, wondering when we'll hear anything.
2-3 weeks post acceptance

pizzagoblin

Bronze

Post by pizzagoblin » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:54 pm

Does anyone know if UT Austin would help me get a firm job in Florida? That's where I'm from, but I see on UT's ABA disclose that almost 90 percent go into Texas markets.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:59 pm

pizzagoblin wrote:Does anyone know if UT Austin would help me get a firm job in Florida? That's where I'm from, but I see on UT's ABA disclose that almost 90 percent go into Texas markets.
WHERE in Florida?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:01 pm

pizzagoblin wrote:Does anyone know if UT Austin would help me get a firm job in Florida? That's where I'm from, but I see on UT's ABA disclose that almost 90 percent go into Texas markets.
No it wouldn't help, but Florida is a tough market to crack so a lot of people don't get back there after law school unfortunately.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:47 pm

Strong ties to Florida barely helps getting back there, so going to a school that's not known for sending students there, is going to be tough. I'd say Vandy would only get you a slightly better shot.

pizzagoblin

Bronze

Post by pizzagoblin » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:51 am

fips tedora wrote:
Strong ties to Florida barely helps getting back there, so going to a school that's not known for sending students there, is going to be tough. I'd say Vandy would only get you a slightly better shot.
Yeah, Vandy is my other top choice right now. Trying to figure out UT's employment stats and if the high Texas placement is self selection. Do most people go there with the desire to stay? Is Texas placement high because lots of residents go there and want to stay there? Or is UT just very limited in its reach?

As for the other question, my family is in Orlando and Palm Beach, but I would live anywhere in the state.

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:54 am

pizzagoblin wrote:
fips tedora wrote:
Yeah, Vandy is my other top choice right now. Trying to figure out UT's employment stats and if the high Texas placement is self selection. Do most people go there with the desire to stay? Is Texas placement high because lots of residents go there and want to stay there? Or is UT just very limited in its reach?

As for the other question, my family is in Orlando and Palm Beach, but I would live anywhere in the state.
Best firms are Holland and Knight and GBT, however, a few other biglaw firms have smaller offices down there. Those are even tougher to crack. Emory is also a good bet, too. I'd say almost on par with Vandy for Florida.

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:01 am

pizzagoblin wrote:
fips tedora wrote:

IIRC, UT has to have at least ~66% of each entering class made up of Texas residents. So there's definitely a large amount of self-selection there. It's easily the best school in its region. Most people I spoke to at UT's ASD were all planning on working in Texas after school. I can't speak to the Florida element though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:37 am

fips tedora wrote:
pizzagoblin wrote:
fips tedora wrote:

Best firms are Holland and Knight and GBT, however, a few other biglaw firms have smaller offices down there. Those are even tougher to crack. Emory is also a good bet, too. I'd say almost on par with Vandy for Florida.
Maybe check if UT could put you in contact with former UT students that work in Florida

tony004319

New

Post by tony004319 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:54 am

I'm an international student and I got an online birthday card from UT yesterday. :D I completed the Kira interview last week but haven't received my decision letter. Wondering if it means I'm in...

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:14 am

I applied really late on Feb 27, and it went complete in a week or so. But I have since not heard back from the school at all. My number is 172/3.5 (okay, slightly fudged). I am wondering if that means they basically just threw out my application for being so late, since I have not even received a Kira interview request.

Babe-Loblaw

New

Post by Babe-Loblaw » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:35 am

Anyone else have a delay between getting their merit scholarship and their FAN?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”