Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Have you heard back from Cornell?

YES AND I AM GOING
24%
Yes, but still deciding
21%
Yes, but not going
14%
No :(
7%
No, but I already committed to somewhere else
No votes
Waitlisted
21%
I don't know why I'm here
13%

Total votes: 107

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:30 am

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
TheMikey wrote:
lg77 wrote:Checking in. For the section where it asks you "Are you applying, or have you applied, to other law schools? If so, please list them," are you guys listing all other schools you're applying to?
Just a caution though, on the app for my absolute safety (I was above the 75% for both LSAT/GPA), I stupidly listed almost of the schools I applied to (all of which were ranked much higher) and got waitlisted. I'm pretty sure that listing all the schools had something to do with my getting waitlisted even though schools would adamantly deny that it matters (hint: Yield Protect).
What would happen if someone didn't list any schools?
Hmm that's a great question. I have no idea, but it would for sure look shady.
I wouldn't worry too much about this, but I'm only listing a couple of schools that I'm applying to and will be sure to add many that are ranked lower than Cornell. Cornell is one of my top choices (even above some schools that are ranked higher), but I don't want them to think that it's not because I listed higher ranked schools.
Last edited by ponderingmeerkat on Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:33 am

ponderingmeerkat wrote:
TheMikey wrote:
lg77 wrote:Checking in. For the section where it asks you "Are you applying, or have you applied, to other law schools? If so, please list them," are you guys listing all other schools you're applying to?
Just a caution though, on the app for my absolute safety (I was above the 75% for both LSAT/GPA), I stupidly listed almost of the schools I applied to (all of which were ranked much higher) and got waitlisted. I'm pretty sure that listing all the schools had something to do with my getting waitlisted even though schools would adamantly deny that it matters (hint: Yield Protect).
I wouldn't worry too much about this, but I'm only listing a couple of schools that I'm applying to and will be sure to add many that are ranked lower than Cornell. Cornell is one of my top choices (even above some schools that are ranked higher), but I don't want them to think that it's not because I listed higher ranked schools.
My guess is Cornell understands the dynamic at play (as evidenced in our poll right now). It's almost no one's top choice, and only in a very few people's top-5, but it's on everyone's list because T14. So, the adcomm's probably have a "third-hottest-girl-on-the-cheerleading-squad" mentality where they're keenly aware the two popular girls gets all the attention and double dates with the QB and WR while they're stuck batting cleanup.

This probably leads to all sorts of interesting "tell me I'm pretty" behavior during the admissions cycle. So, basically, law school admission social dynamics are a lot of high school.
"third-hottest-girl-on-the-cheerleading-squad"

dead.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:35 am

poptart123 wrote:Texas is the market. From what I've read on TLS, UT is probably going to almost always be a better option, but it really comes down to money for me. Right now (before I've even applied lol) I'm just trying to explore options. I really like Cornell, so I figured, why the hell not?
Yeah, we don't get many Texans looking to go back to Texas because usually those people get into UT and Cornell is rarely cheaper. I think there were 5 Texans in my class and only two actually wanted to get back to Texas. Fwiw, they both succeeded from around median. The others came here because they wanted to move to NYC.
Last edited by Lavitz on Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tycho

Bronze

Post by Tycho » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:52 am

TheMikey wrote:
I didn't list any on the app and I'm now attending Cornell, FWIW.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:08 pm

not an exhaustive list of interview questions that have been asked. x2 or x3 means it's been asked multiple times in the 2019 thread:

-Describe the best class you've taken
-what is your favorite book?
-what are you looking for in a law school community?
-what motivates you intrinsically?
-Discuss a time you helped someone achieve their goal. (x3)
-What do you do in your leisure time? (x3)
-Discuss a failure in your life.(x2 or 3)
-Describe your ideal law school.
-Why Ithaca?
-Why undergrad school
-What are your hobbies outside of work and school.
-Name an experience that broadened your outlook.
-What do you hope to attain with an education at Cornell.
-If you could go anywhere in the world for free, where and why
-Advice you'd give to a senior in high school re: picking a college major
-What your expectations are of a Cornell Law education
-Discuss a meaningful life experience
-Besides Cornell Law, what is attractive about Ithaca?
-What are three character traits your friends would use to describe you?
-Describe an experience that has broadened your perspective.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:49 pm

proteinshake wrote:not an exhaustive list of interview questions that have been asked. x2 or x3 means it's been asked multiple times in the 2019 thread:
[+] Spoiler
-Describe the best class you've taken
-what is your favorite book?
-what are you looking for in a law school community?
-what motivates you intrinsically?
-Discuss a time you helped someone achieve their goal. (x3)
-What do you do in your leisure time? (x3)
-Discuss a failure in your life.(x2 or 3)
-Describe your ideal law school.
-Why Ithaca?
-Why undergrad school
-What are your hobbies outside of work and school.
-Name an experience that broadened your outlook.
-What do you hope to attain with an education at Cornell.
-If you could go anywhere in the world for free, where and why
-Advice you'd give to a senior in high school re: picking a college major
-What your expectations are of a Cornell Law education
-Discuss a meaningful life experience
-Besides Cornell Law, what is attractive about Ithaca?
-What are three character traits your friends would use to describe you?
-Describe an experience that has broadened your perspective
Thanks bro! I'm for sure saving this.

B102

New

Post by B102 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:53 pm

Tycho wrote:
TheMikey wrote:
I didn't list any on the app and I'm now attending Cornell, FWIW.
I listed all of the schools to which I was intending to apply. Most of those schools were ranked higher than Cornell. Above 75th LSAT and median GPA. I'm happily attending Cornell this year.

lnsl123

Bronze

Post by lnsl123 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:48 pm

Last edited by lnsl123 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:31 pm

lnsl123 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Checking in.

Like the school but have been told by one of my close friends who's a native New Yorker that she thinks I'd hate Ithaca so... I'm a little torn :lol:
Agreed. I live in NYC now and Cornell had initially been in my top 2 or 3, then when I learned more about Ithaca I realized I probably wouldn't be as happy in a rural setting as in an urban area. Weng to UG in Chicago and always lived in cities so not sure how I'd do.
Yeah, I haven't had the opportunity to visit Ithaca yet (will try to head that way if I'm accepted) but went to UNC for (most of) UG and was dying to get out of CH by the time I graduated. As a military brat, I've lived in my share of small towns and all of that and I've never loved it. Can't imagine having a change of heart in my early/mid-20s; I feel like it's the best time to be young and in a vibrant city. Wish I didn't live on the other side of the US so I could stop by and see how I feel about Ithaca myself before applying but unfortunately, it's not feasible.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nothing but the Funk

Bronze

Post by Nothing but the Funk » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:40 pm

Checking in, not my top choice, but if the money's right I like the feel of the school.

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:42 pm

Checking in, again. Native New Yorker. Top 5 choice. If anyone has any questions about NYS, or the Ithaca area, let me know.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:26 pm

proteinshake wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
poptart123 wrote:For any current students checking this thread: What is Cornell's reach like outside of NYC in your experience? I know there is a lot of self selection, but if you could speak about employment for students you know not targeting NYC that would be appreciated!
I'm also interested in this
not sure if this really answers the questions but relevant:

"People go all over. Internationally, I've heard of London, Oslo, Paris, Hong Kong and Japan. Many also stay in the US and I know people who did externships in San Diego, DC, NYC, and Phoenix. I think you can pretty much go wherever you want as long as the externship/academic program meets broad requirements."

- Cornell student in the 2019 thread
Dope, thanks dawg

ProductofUnreality

Bronze

Post by ProductofUnreality » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:19 pm

TheMikey wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Checking in!

Anyone writing a "Why Cornell" essay??
I think I might be. But people have said that cornell's app asks you "why are you applying to cornell?" So I think some will argue that a Why Cornell essay is a waste but idk.
Agreed. It might not look good if you can't articulate your desire to attend Cornell in the space they provide.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LawMaster88

New

Post by LawMaster88 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:36 am

Welcome to the Law Side! So excited.. check this out!

no. banned

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:38 am

LawMaster88 wrote:Welcome to the Law Side! So excited.. check this out!

https://teespring.com/welcome-to-the-la ... &sid=front
NO.

mods, I summon thee.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:40 am

proteinshake wrote:
LawMaster88 wrote:Welcome to the Law Side! So excited.. check this out!
NO.

mods, I summon thee.
Yup, reported. Apparently this asshole's posted in a couple other threads too. Ban hammer!
Last edited by ponderingmeerkat on Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:49 am

wtff

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:53 am

banned

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:42 pm

I don't wanna click the link. What is it?! lol

mathaddict

New

Post by mathaddict » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:46 pm

brinicolec wrote:I don't wanna click the link. What is it?! lol
He's attempting to sell t-shirts lol

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:56 pm

Lavitz wrote:Alum, willing to answer questions, checking in. For now will just say: from NYC, liked Ithaca, thought it was a nice break from city life.
which, if any, T20 schools can I use to leverage against Cornell?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:34 pm

proteinshake wrote:
Lavitz wrote:Alum, willing to answer questions, checking in. For now will just say: from NYC, liked Ithaca, thought it was a nice break from city life.
+1 to this

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:25 pm

TheMikey wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
+1 to this
If the $$$ difference is large enough, anything is possible. Full ride at WUSTL vs. sticker at Cornell, plus a convincing e-mail? Yeah, they might budge. I'm not aware of any list that Cornell uses if that's what you're asking.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:36 pm

Lavitz wrote:
TheMikey wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
+1 to this
If the $$$ difference is large enough, anything is possible. Full ride at WUSTL vs. sticker at Cornell, plus a convincing e-mail? Yeah, they might budge. I'm not aware of any list that Cornell uses if that's what you're asking.
Just found this thread from a while ago that I think is interesting. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... hp?t=79373

It groups Cornell, Gtown, NU and Duke as being like a 'tier' that you can negotiate merit aid between. Not sure how true this is, but I wanted to share it.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:39 pm

TheMikey wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
TheMikey wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
+1 to this
Just found this thread from a while ago that I think is interesting. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... hp?t=79373

It groups Cornell, Gtown, NU and Duke as being like a 'tier' that you can negotiate merit aid between. Not sure how true this is, but I wanted to share it.
As that thread notes, the tiers are not set in stone, and it lists scholarship offers at inferior schools as a possible negotiating chip. But yes, if it's another lower T-14, that's better than a T20. And the advice on how to word e-mails is solid.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”