Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Why are you applying to Cornell?

It's my top choice
22
10%
It's in my top 3
33
15%
It's in my top 5
37
17%
Because it's T14
108
49%
Because I have nothing else to do
16
7%
Other
3
1%
 
Total votes: 219

User avatar
ponderingmeerkat
Posts: 1438
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:24 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:30 am

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
TheMikey wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
lg77 wrote:Checking in. For the section where it asks you "Are you applying, or have you applied, to other law schools? If so, please list them," are you guys listing all other schools you're applying to?


Just a caution though, on the app for my absolute safety (I was above the 75% for both LSAT/GPA), I stupidly listed almost of the schools I applied to (all of which were ranked much higher) and got waitlisted. I'm pretty sure that listing all the schools had something to do with my getting waitlisted even though schools would adamantly deny that it matters (hint: Yield Protect).

What would happen if someone didn't list any schools?


Hmm that's a great question. I have no idea, but it would for sure look shady.
I wouldn't worry too much about this, but I'm only listing a couple of schools that I'm applying to and will be sure to add many that are ranked lower than Cornell. Cornell is one of my top choices (even above some schools that are ranked higher), but I don't want them to think that it's not because I listed higher ranked schools.


*
Last edited by ponderingmeerkat on Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.
Posts: 495
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:33 am

ponderingmeerkat wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
TheMikey wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
lg77 wrote:Checking in. For the section where it asks you "Are you applying, or have you applied, to other law schools? If so, please list them," are you guys listing all other schools you're applying to?


Just a caution though, on the app for my absolute safety (I was above the 75% for both LSAT/GPA), I stupidly listed almost of the schools I applied to (all of which were ranked much higher) and got waitlisted. I'm pretty sure that listing all the schools had something to do with my getting waitlisted even though schools would adamantly deny that it matters (hint: Yield Protect).

What would happen if someone didn't list any schools?


Hmm that's a great question. I have no idea, but it would for sure look shady.
I wouldn't worry too much about this, but I'm only listing a couple of schools that I'm applying to and will be sure to add many that are ranked lower than Cornell. Cornell is one of my top choices (even above some schools that are ranked higher), but I don't want them to think that it's not because I listed higher ranked schools.


My guess is Cornell understands the dynamic at play (as evidenced in our poll right now). It's almost no one's top choice, and only in a very few people's top-5, but it's on everyone's list because T14. So, the adcomm's probably have a "third-hottest-girl-on-the-cheerleading-squad" mentality where they're keenly aware the two popular girls gets all the attention and double dates with the QB and WR while they're stuck batting cleanup.

This probably leads to all sorts of interesting "tell me I'm pretty" behavior during the admissions cycle. So, basically, law school admission social dynamics are a lot of high school.


"third-hottest-girl-on-the-cheerleading-squad"

dead.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3112
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Lavitz » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:35 am

poptart123 wrote:Texas is the market. From what I've read on TLS, UT is probably going to almost always be a better option, but it really comes down to money for me. Right now (before I've even applied lol) I'm just trying to explore options. I really like Cornell, so I figured, why the hell not?

Yeah, we don't get many Texans looking to go back to Texas because usually those people get into UT and Cornell is rarely cheaper. I think there were 5 Texans in my class and only two actually wanted to get back to Texas. Fwiw, they both succeeded from around median. The others came here because they wanted to move to NYC.
Last edited by Lavitz on Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tycho
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:30 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Tycho » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:52 am

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
TheMikey wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
lg77 wrote:Checking in. For the section where it asks you "Are you applying, or have you applied, to other law schools? If so, please list them," are you guys listing all other schools you're applying to?


Just a caution though, on the app for my absolute safety (I was above the 75% for both LSAT/GPA), I stupidly listed almost of the schools I applied to (all of which were ranked much higher) and got waitlisted. I'm pretty sure that listing all the schools had something to do with my getting waitlisted even though schools would adamantly deny that it matters (hint: Yield Protect).

What would happen if someone didn't list any schools?


Hmm that's a great question. I have no idea, but it would for sure look shady.
I wouldn't worry too much about this, but I'm only listing a couple of schools that I'm applying to and will be sure to add many that are ranked lower than Cornell. Cornell is one of my top choices (even above some schools that are ranked higher), but I don't want them to think that it's not because I listed higher ranked schools.


I didn't list any on the app and I'm now attending Cornell, FWIW.

User avatar
proteinshake
Posts: 2951
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby proteinshake » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:08 pm

not an exhaustive list of interview questions that have been asked. x2 or x3 means it's been asked multiple times in the 2019 thread:

-Describe the best class you've taken
-what is your favorite book?
-what are you looking for in a law school community?
-what motivates you intrinsically?
-Discuss a time you helped someone achieve their goal. (x3)
-What do you do in your leisure time? (x3)
-Discuss a failure in your life.(x2 or 3)
-Describe your ideal law school.
-Why Ithaca?
-Why undergrad school
-What are your hobbies outside of work and school.
-Name an experience that broadened your outlook.
-What do you hope to attain with an education at Cornell.
-If you could go anywhere in the world for free, where and why
-Advice you'd give to a senior in high school re: picking a college major
-What your expectations are of a Cornell Law education
-Discuss a meaningful life experience
-Besides Cornell Law, what is attractive about Ithaca?
-What are three character traits your friends would use to describe you?
-Describe an experience that has broadened your perspective.

User avatar
Mikey
Posts: 5169
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Mikey » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:49 pm

proteinshake wrote:not an exhaustive list of interview questions that have been asked. x2 or x3 means it's been asked multiple times in the 2019 thread:

[+] Spoiler
-Describe the best class you've taken
-what is your favorite book?
-what are you looking for in a law school community?
-what motivates you intrinsically?
-Discuss a time you helped someone achieve their goal. (x3)
-What do you do in your leisure time? (x3)
-Discuss a failure in your life.(x2 or 3)
-Describe your ideal law school.
-Why Ithaca?
-Why undergrad school
-What are your hobbies outside of work and school.
-Name an experience that broadened your outlook.
-What do you hope to attain with an education at Cornell.
-If you could go anywhere in the world for free, where and why
-Advice you'd give to a senior in high school re: picking a college major
-What your expectations are of a Cornell Law education
-Discuss a meaningful life experience
-Besides Cornell Law, what is attractive about Ithaca?
-What are three character traits your friends would use to describe you?
-Describe an experience that has broadened your perspective
.

Thanks bro! I'm for sure saving this.

B102
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:26 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby B102 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:53 pm

Tycho wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
TheMikey wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
lg77 wrote:Checking in. For the section where it asks you "Are you applying, or have you applied, to other law schools? If so, please list them," are you guys listing all other schools you're applying to?


Just a caution though, on the app for my absolute safety (I was above the 75% for both LSAT/GPA), I stupidly listed almost of the schools I applied to (all of which were ranked much higher) and got waitlisted. I'm pretty sure that listing all the schools had something to do with my getting waitlisted even though schools would adamantly deny that it matters (hint: Yield Protect).

What would happen if someone didn't list any schools?


Hmm that's a great question. I have no idea, but it would for sure look shady.
I wouldn't worry too much about this, but I'm only listing a couple of schools that I'm applying to and will be sure to add many that are ranked lower than Cornell. Cornell is one of my top choices (even above some schools that are ranked higher), but I don't want them to think that it's not because I listed higher ranked schools.


I didn't list any on the app and I'm now attending Cornell, FWIW.


I listed all of the schools to which I was intending to apply. Most of those schools were ranked higher than Cornell. Above 75th LSAT and median GPA. I'm happily attending Cornell this year.

User avatar
lnsl123
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lnsl123 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:48 pm

brinicolec wrote:Checking in.

Like the school but have been told by one of my close friends who's a native New Yorker that she thinks I'd hate Ithaca so... I'm a little torn :lol:

Agreed. I live in NYC now and Cornell had initially been in my top 2 or 3, then when I learned more about Ithaca I realized I probably wouldn't be as happy in a rural setting as in an urban area. Weng to UG in Chicago and always lived in cities so not sure how I'd do.

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 1685
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby brinicolec » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:31 pm

lnsl123 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Checking in.

Like the school but have been told by one of my close friends who's a native New Yorker that she thinks I'd hate Ithaca so... I'm a little torn :lol:

Agreed. I live in NYC now and Cornell had initially been in my top 2 or 3, then when I learned more about Ithaca I realized I probably wouldn't be as happy in a rural setting as in an urban area. Weng to UG in Chicago and always lived in cities so not sure how I'd do.


Yeah, I haven't had the opportunity to visit Ithaca yet (will try to head that way if I'm accepted) but went to UNC for (most of) UG and was dying to get out of CH by the time I graduated. As a military brat, I've lived in my share of small towns and all of that and I've never loved it. Can't imagine having a change of heart in my early/mid-20s; I feel like it's the best time to be young and in a vibrant city. Wish I didn't live on the other side of the US so I could stop by and see how I feel about Ithaca myself before applying but unfortunately, it's not feasible.

User avatar
Nothing but the Funk
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 3:47 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Nothing but the Funk » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:40 pm

Checking in, not my top choice, but if the money's right I like the feel of the school.

User avatar
fips tedora
Posts: 4004
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 8:28 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby fips tedora » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:42 pm

Checking in, again. Native New Yorker. Top 5 choice. If anyone has any questions about NYS, or the Ithaca area, let me know.

User avatar
RamTitan
Posts: 1064
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby RamTitan » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:26 pm

proteinshake wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
poptart123 wrote:For any current students checking this thread: What is Cornell's reach like outside of NYC in your experience? I know there is a lot of self selection, but if you could speak about employment for students you know not targeting NYC that would be appreciated!

I'm also interested in this

not sure if this really answers the questions but relevant:

"People go all over. Internationally, I've heard of London, Oslo, Paris, Hong Kong and Japan. Many also stay in the US and I know people who did externships in San Diego, DC, NYC, and Phoenix. I think you can pretty much go wherever you want as long as the externship/academic program meets broad requirements."

- Cornell student in the 2019 thread

Dope, thanks dawg

ProductofUnreality
Posts: 424
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:29 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ProductofUnreality » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:19 pm

TheMikey wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Checking in!

Anyone writing a "Why Cornell" essay??

I think I might be. But people have said that cornell's app asks you "why are you applying to cornell?" So I think some will argue that a Why Cornell essay is a waste but idk.


Agreed. It might not look good if you can't articulate your desire to attend Cornell in the space they provide.

LawMaster88
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:23 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby LawMaster88 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:36 am

Welcome to the Law Side! So excited.. check this out!

no. banned

User avatar
proteinshake
Posts: 2951
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby proteinshake » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:38 am

LawMaster88 wrote:Welcome to the Law Side! So excited.. check this out!

https://teespring.com/welcome-to-the-la ... &sid=front

NO.

mods, I summon thee.

User avatar
ponderingmeerkat
Posts: 1438
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:24 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:40 am

proteinshake wrote:
LawMaster88 wrote:Welcome to the Law Side! So excited.. check this out!

NO.

mods, I summon thee.


Yup, reported. Apparently this asshole's posted in a couple other threads too. Ban hammer!
Last edited by ponderingmeerkat on Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mikey
Posts: 5169
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Mikey » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:49 am

wtff

User avatar
suralin
better than you
Posts: 15669
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:52 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby suralin » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:53 am

banned

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 1685
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby brinicolec » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:42 pm

I don't wanna click the link. What is it?! lol

mathaddict
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:10 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby mathaddict » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:46 pm

brinicolec wrote:I don't wanna click the link. What is it?! lol


He's attempting to sell t-shirts lol

User avatar
proteinshake
Posts: 2951
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby proteinshake » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:56 pm

Lavitz wrote:Alum, willing to answer questions, checking in. For now will just say: from NYC, liked Ithaca, thought it was a nice break from city life.

which, if any, T20 schools can I use to leverage against Cornell?

User avatar
Mikey
Posts: 5169
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Mikey » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:34 pm

proteinshake wrote:
Lavitz wrote:Alum, willing to answer questions, checking in. For now will just say: from NYC, liked Ithaca, thought it was a nice break from city life.

which, if any, T20 schools can I use to leverage against Cornell?

+1 to this

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3112
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Lavitz » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:25 pm

TheMikey wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
Lavitz wrote:Alum, willing to answer questions, checking in. For now will just say: from NYC, liked Ithaca, thought it was a nice break from city life.

which, if any, T20 schools can I use to leverage against Cornell?

+1 to this

If the $$$ difference is large enough, anything is possible. Full ride at WUSTL vs. sticker at Cornell, plus a convincing e-mail? Yeah, they might budge. I'm not aware of any list that Cornell uses if that's what you're asking.

User avatar
Mikey
Posts: 5169
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Mikey » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:36 pm

Lavitz wrote:
TheMikey wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
Lavitz wrote:Alum, willing to answer questions, checking in. For now will just say: from NYC, liked Ithaca, thought it was a nice break from city life.

which, if any, T20 schools can I use to leverage against Cornell?

+1 to this

If the $$$ difference is large enough, anything is possible. Full ride at WUSTL vs. sticker at Cornell, plus a convincing e-mail? Yeah, they might budge. I'm not aware of any list that Cornell uses if that's what you're asking.

Just found this thread from a while ago that I think is interesting. viewtopic.php?t=79373

It groups Cornell, Gtown, NU and Duke as being like a 'tier' that you can negotiate merit aid between. Not sure how true this is, but I wanted to share it.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3112
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Lavitz » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:39 pm

TheMikey wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
TheMikey wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
Lavitz wrote:Alum, willing to answer questions, checking in. For now will just say: from NYC, liked Ithaca, thought it was a nice break from city life.

which, if any, T20 schools can I use to leverage against Cornell?

+1 to this

If the $$$ difference is large enough, anything is possible. Full ride at WUSTL vs. sticker at Cornell, plus a convincing e-mail? Yeah, they might budge. I'm not aware of any list that Cornell uses if that's what you're asking.

Just found this thread from a while ago that I think is interesting. viewtopic.php?t=79373

It groups Cornell, Gtown, NU and Duke as being like a 'tier' that you can negotiate merit aid between. Not sure how true this is, but I wanted to share it.

As that thread notes, the tiers are not set in stone, and it lists scholarship offers at inferior schools as a possible negotiating chip. But yes, if it's another lower T-14, that's better than a T20. And the advice on how to word e-mails is solid.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: appind, Baidu [Spider], bloomsday, jza1994, luckydayahead, lurker816, Mr_Chukes, MSNbot Media, nightie, SeanORaff33, TheCubsFan, yingcaca and 22 guests