Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Have you heard back from Cornell?

YES AND I AM GOING
24%
Yes, but still deciding
21%
Yes, but not going
14%
No :(
7%
No, but I already committed to somewhere else
No votes
Waitlisted
21%
I don't know why I'm here
13%

Total votes: 107

simplypara588

New

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by simplypara588 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:07 pm

HowlandReed wrote:
j.chvd wrote:For those who have already attempted to negotiate scholarship with Cornell, how long did it take for you to hear back from them after you sent your initial letter?
A matter of hours
If you don't mind my asking, was Cornell receptive to your negotiation?

HowlandReed

New

Post by HowlandReed » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:15 pm

simplypara588 wrote:
HowlandReed wrote:
j.chvd wrote:For those who have already attempted to negotiate scholarship with Cornell, how long did it take for you to hear back from them after you sent your initial letter?
A matter of hours
Reasonably receptive, yes

lilitiger99

Bronze

Post by lilitiger99 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:35 pm

HowlandReed wrote:
simplypara588 wrote:
HowlandReed wrote:
A matter of hours
Damn. I haven't heard anything yet. Should I follow up? It's been like two weeks......

j.chvd

New

Post by j.chvd » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:36 am

lilitiger99 wrote:
HowlandReed wrote:
simplypara588 wrote:
HowlandReed wrote:
A matter of hours
Damn. I haven't heard anything yet. Should I follow up? It's been like two weeks......
For what it's worth, Cornell also responded to my scholarship negotiation request within two days. They did increase my scholarship a reasonable amount, but not what I hoped they would. Forward, yes, I would reach out again. If you're planning on attending Admitted Student's Day, you should also schedule a Financial Aid consultation.

Lawschool305

Bronze

Post by Lawschool305 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:42 am

j.chvd wrote:
lilitiger99 wrote:
HowlandReed wrote:
simplypara588 wrote:
HowlandReed wrote:
A matter of hours
For what it's worth, Cornell also responded to my scholarship negotiation request within two days. They did increase my scholarship a reasonable amount, but not what I hoped they would. Forward, yes, I would reach out again. If you're planning on attending Admitted Student's Day, you should also schedule a Financial Aid consultation.
They responded to me in about two days as well. But denied my reconsideration :/ Congrats to those who got reconsidered

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lilitiger99

Bronze

Post by lilitiger99 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:58 pm

[/quote]

Damn. I haven't heard anything yet. Should I follow up? It's been like two weeks......[/quote]

For what it's worth, Cornell also responded to my scholarship negotiation request within two days. They did increase my scholarship a reasonable amount, but not what I hoped they would. Forward, yes, I would reach out again. If you're planning on attending Admitted Student's Day, you should also schedule a Financial Aid consultation.[/quote]

They responded to me in about two days as well. But denied my reconsideration :/ Congrats to those who got reconsidered[/quote]

Thanks y'all. I just emailed them again, fingers crossed. Has anyone had success negotiating with non t13 schools? My other t13 offers are sticker, but I have some substantial t20 scholarships - BU, WUSTL, Vandy, etc.

j.chvd

New

Post by j.chvd » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:36 pm

lilitiger99 wrote:
Damn. I haven't heard anything yet. Should I follow up? It's been like two weeks......[/quote]

For what it's worth, Cornell also responded to my scholarship negotiation request within two days. They did increase my scholarship a reasonable amount, but not what I hoped they would. Forward, yes, I would reach out again. If you're planning on attending Admitted Student's Day, you should also schedule a Financial Aid consultation.[/quote]

They responded to me in about two days as well. But denied my reconsideration :/ Congrats to those who got reconsidered[/quote]

Thanks y'all. I just emailed them again, fingers crossed. Has anyone had success negotiating with non t13 schools? My other t13 offers are sticker, but I have some substantial t20 scholarships - BU, WUSTL, Vandy, etc.[/quote]

I actually used a scholarship offer from Arizona State College of Law (25). It was a full ride + stipend, and it also is my undergraduate institution, so I discussed how, while academic merit may not be on par w Cornell, a full ride + stipend offer allows me to build on the relationships that I already have established, while also giving me the freedom of pursuing public interest careers/unique career choices that I may not have if I were to attend Cornell at the scholarship I previously had. Hope this helps! Best of luck!

capnobvious123

New

Post by capnobvious123 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:58 pm

Can anyone 100% confirm that Cornell reimburses seat deposits from other schools if you matriculate? Or better yet, redirect me to a list of schools that have that policy somewhere? Google/the search function here is failing me.

Texas has me up against the wall.

smilingorch

New

Post by smilingorch » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:57 pm

capnobvious123 wrote:Can anyone 100% confirm that Cornell reimburses seat deposits from other schools if you matriculate? Or better yet, redirect me to a list of schools that have that policy somewhere? Google/the search function here is failing me.

Emory is the only school that I know of that offers up to $500 back to you if you deposited elsewhere and are taken off their waitlist and enroll.

But like I said in a previous post, it's definitely worth asking them whether they'll do the same.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JDrat

Bronze

Post by JDrat » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:28 pm

Anyone here knows the first deposit policy at Cornell? Are they okay with double depositing? I am not sure where I can get this info from.

seeprybyrun

Bronze

Post by seeprybyrun » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:37 am

Checking out. Withdrew from reserve list today. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

seeprybyrun

Bronze

Post by seeprybyrun » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:39 am

capnobvious123 wrote:Can anyone 100% confirm that Cornell reimburses seat deposits from other schools if you matriculate? Or better yet, redirect me to a list of schools that have that policy somewhere? Google/the search function here is failing me.

Are you just worried about the deposit, or are they trying to hold something else over you? You can't lose anything except the deposit if you commit and then back out if another school makes an offer you want.

ohgosh

New

Post by ohgosh » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:43 pm

This might be a dumb question, but is there any chance that Cornell would extend the seat deposit deadline by a week or so? I still haven't heard back from all the schools that I applied to (including for financial aid) and their deadline is this weekend.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:43 pm

ohgosh wrote:This might be a dumb question, but is there any chance that Cornell would extend the seat deposit deadline by a week or so? I still haven't heard back from all the schools that I applied to (including for financial aid) and their deadline is this weekend.
some school do this if you ask.

ohgosh

New

Post by ohgosh » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:10 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
ohgosh wrote:This might be a dumb question, but is there any chance that Cornell would extend the seat deposit deadline by a week or so? I still haven't heard back from all the schools that I applied to (including for financial aid) and their deadline is this weekend.
some school do this if you ask.
Okay, thanks! I guess there's no harm in trying.

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:41 pm

I'm in the same boat. Asked and they said no...

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:49 pm

Leliana wrote:
really? I don't understand why their admitted students day is one day before the deposit deadline.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

j.chvd

New

Post by j.chvd » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:56 pm

Keilz wrote:
Leliana wrote:
really? I don't understand why their admitted students day is one day before the deposit deadline.
Very interesting... a friend of mine requested an extension on the deposit, and they gave her an additional nine days. I would try asking again, and just be really cordial and say how you really would like to attend Cornell, but you're still considering other options and you don't want to make the wrong decision because of an approaching deadline. Hope it works out for you!

capnobvious123

New

Post by capnobvious123 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:15 pm

seeprybyrun wrote:

Are you just worried about the deposit, or are they trying to hold something else over you? You can't lose anything except the deposit if you commit and then back out if another school makes an offer you want.
Yeah no big deal, I was just curious to see if I could find out if Cornell would reimburse me if I deposited at Texas, because I wanted to continue to use Texas to negotiate.

Loosely related, I presume Cornell's first deposit isn't binding?

ohgosh

New

Post by ohgosh » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:41 pm

j.chvd wrote:
Keilz wrote:
Leliana wrote:
Very interesting... a friend of mine requested an extension on the deposit, and they gave her an additional nine days. I would try asking again, and just be really cordial and say how you really would like to attend Cornell, but you're still considering other options and you don't want to make the wrong decision because of an approaching deadline. Hope it works out for you!
Thanks for letting me know - that gives me hope!

kotleta

New

Post by kotleta » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:43 pm

When is/was the first deposit due? Currently on reserve waiting to hear!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Roose

New

Post by Roose » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:45 pm

kotleta wrote:When is/was the first deposit due? Currently on reserve waiting to hear!
Mine was due the 15th; which I believe is the date for anyone admitted before first weekish of April.

kotleta

New

Post by kotleta » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:27 pm

Roose wrote:
kotleta wrote:When is/was the first deposit due? Currently on reserve waiting to hear!
Mine was due the 15th; which I believe is the date for anyone admitted before first weekish of April.
Okay cool thanks!!

dp3

New

Post by dp3 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:51 pm

Got in off the waitlist today! That was really quick

Nightwing

Bronze

Post by Nightwing » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:06 pm

dp3 wrote:Got in off the waitlist today! That was really quick
Hm? How long were you on it, if you don't mind me asking? And congratulations!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”