Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Next JS2 wave(s) will be...

Monday 3/27
2%
Tuesday 3/28
17%
Wednesday 3/29
32%
Thursday 3/30
12%
Friday 3/31
28%
Saturday 4/1
9%

Total votes: 108

taxman14

Silver

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by taxman14 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:28 pm

Just got the complete application email.

Submitted Sept 28 and they received it Sept 29

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Post by call-me-bubbles » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:38 pm

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QuentonCassidy

Silver

Post by QuentonCassidy » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:21 pm

RamTitan wrote:
ProductofUnreality wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
RamTitan wrote:Per the directions, I would need not to disclose this, but I'm wondering if I should list my open container violation anyways? Any thoughts? All that came of it was a ticket which I paid, and it was removed from my record.
Bump
If you don't need to disclose it why would you disclose it?
Mostly because I read somewhere that you should always disclose everything
FWIW I have heard the "disclose everything" schtick quite a few times, and my perception has always been that you should always disclose something if you are at all unsure of whether the application requires disclosure. If you are 100% sure that it is not required to be disclosed then I believe that you should not disclose it.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:25 pm

QuentonCassidy wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
RamTitan wrote:Per the directions, I would need not to disclose this, but I'm wondering if I should list my open container violation anyways? Any thoughts? All that came of it was a ticket which I paid, and it was removed from my record.
Bump
FWIW I have heard the "disclose everything" schtick quite a few times, and my perception has always been that you should always disclose something if you are at all unsure of whether the application requires disclosure. If you are 100% sure that it is not required to be disclosed then I believe that you should not disclose it.
Makes sense lol; I think I'll take your direction

TAD

Bronze

Post by TAD » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:27 pm

Submitted today at midnight...just went received and complete 30 mins ago :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ProductofUnreality

Bronze

Post by ProductofUnreality » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:17 pm

RamTitan wrote:
QuentonCassidy wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
Bump
Makes sense lol; I think I'll take your direction
Exactly. If you know you don't have to then there's no point in doing it. I have a wet and reckless that has been expunged. Some apps required I disclose it, some didn't. I'm certainly not going to gain anything from disclosing it where I don't have to.

acz26

Bronze

Post by acz26 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:02 pm

Anyone have any indication as to how hurtful it is to be a KJD, assuming someone is a non-splitter with decent undergraduate work experience?

texasellewoods

Bronze

Post by texasellewoods » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:19 pm

acz26 wrote:Anyone have any indication as to how hurtful it is to be a KJD, assuming someone is a non-splitter with decent undergraduate work experience?
I wouldn't worry too much about it - as long as you can demonstrate solid WE/maturity you should be fine!

acz26

Bronze

Post by acz26 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:35 pm

texasellewoods wrote:
acz26 wrote:Anyone have any indication as to how hurtful it is to be a KJD, assuming someone is a non-splitter with decent undergraduate work experience?
I wouldn't worry too much about it - as long as you can demonstrate solid WE/maturity you should be fine!
Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jdanz

Bronze

Post by jdanz » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:40 pm

Applied today and was pleasantly surprised I was given a hidden fee waiver. I wonder if me applying last year has anything to do with it...

taxman14

Silver

Post by taxman14 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:48 pm

jdanz wrote:Applied today and was pleasantly surprised I was given a hidden fee waiver. I wonder if me applying last year has anything to do with it...
woah that's cool, didn't know that Harvard gave any out except for need-based ones. Congrats bud!

rico32

New

Post by rico32 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:26 pm

super quiet around here...anyone have predictions for when JS1s will come out? (not that we can do anything about it) :P

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:36 am

rico32 wrote:super quiet around here...anyone have predictions for when JS1s will come out? (not that we can do anything about it) :P
I was at an HLS event recently and the admission's office person indicated that they would begin coming out in early November this cycle.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NorthDragon

New

Post by NorthDragon » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:11 am

curry1 wrote:
rico32 wrote:super quiet around here...anyone have predictions for when JS1s will come out? (not that we can do anything about it) :P
I was at an HLS event recently and the admission's office person indicated that they would begin coming out in early November this cycle.
Don't want to sound ignorant, but can you plz explain to me what JS1s mean? Does that mean interview? Thanks.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:54 am

NorthDragon wrote:
curry1 wrote:
Don't want to sound ignorant, but can you plz explain to me what JS1s mean? Does that mean interview? Thanks.
yes. and JS2 means acceptance.

QuentonCassidy

Silver

Post by QuentonCassidy » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:38 am

curry1 wrote:
Unless they explicitly stated otherwise, they may have meant that the actual interviews would be starting in early November. Last year the first wave of interviews started on Nov 3, but the actual invites were sent on Oct 20. If the invites didn't come out until early November that would be fairly unusual, but who knows, last cycle's timing was also pretty weird so they could be pushing things back in general.

pretzeltime

Gold

Post by pretzeltime » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:42 am

QuentonCassidy wrote:
curry1 wrote:
Unless they explicitly stated otherwise, they may have meant that the actual interviews would be starting in early November. Last year the first wave of interviews started on Nov 3, but the actual invites were sent on Oct 20. If the invites didn't come out until early November that would be fairly unusual, but who knows, last cycle's timing was also pretty weird so they could be pushing things back in general.
:!:
i prefer this interpretation. :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Post by Assasindowntheavenue » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:16 pm

pretzeltime wrote:
QuentonCassidy wrote:
curry1 wrote:
Going by last year's thread we may see JS1 invites go out tomorrow, right?

QuentonCassidy

Silver

Post by QuentonCassidy » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:44 pm

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:
QuentonCassidy wrote:
curry1 wrote:
Theoretically yes. Last year they went out at 10-11am on Oct 20.

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Post by Assasindowntheavenue » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:51 pm

QuentonCassidy wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:
QuentonCassidy wrote:
curry1 wrote:
Thanks for that extra detail 8)

shoparoundthecorner

Bronze

Post by shoparoundthecorner » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:02 pm

QuentonCassidy wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:
QuentonCassidy wrote:
curry1 wrote:
So is there just one big wave or do they come out gradually? I went complete 10/5--could I expect to hear back in the first wave?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pretzeltime

Gold

Post by pretzeltime » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:04 pm

shoparoundthecorner wrote:
QuentonCassidy wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:
QuentonCassidy wrote:
curry1 wrote:
So is there just one big wave or do they come out gradually? I went complete 10/5--could I expect to hear back in the first wave?
The 2019 Harvard thread has a crapload of this info on the OP. I suggest checking it out.

(No, you won't necessarily hear in the first wave, and waves come frequently)

QuentonCassidy

Silver

Post by QuentonCassidy » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:58 pm

shoparoundthecorner wrote:
Pretzel is right, and I am unsure what the latest completion date was in the first wave last year (checking out last year's spreadsheet might give you some indication). I would venture a guess that your completion date doesn't preclude you from being first wave because last year I went complete on 10/1 and was in the first wave.

Furthermore, it should be noted that while JS1s on any given day generally come out around the same time, they are not all sent out at once, i.e. at exactly the same time. For instance, last year I saw posts on TLS about JS1s going out, checked my email, and hadn't received an invite. Thirty minutes later I got the email, so if you see people posting about JS1s but don't have one yet, don't count yourself out.

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:07 pm

How many of the people who apply get interviewed?

And how many of the people interviewed get admitted?

Hehehe

QuentonCassidy

Silver

Post by QuentonCassidy » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:17 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:How many of the people who apply get interviewed?

And how many of the people interviewed get admitted?

Hehehe
There was a ton of discussion about this in last year's thread, but there was an almost equal amount of shitpoasting/cat pic spamming, so I will keep answering these Qs. For a while they interviewed about 1,000 and accepted a little over 900, so getting an interview was pretty much a formality toward acceptance. A few years back they said that they increased the # of interviews to 1,200 (still admitted the same # of applicants), so now it is less of a formality but still a very good sign (best guess is that approximately 75% of interviewees get accepted). There has been discussion over whether or not the # of interviews has continued to rise, but best guess and general consensus is that they still interview ~1,200 and accept ~900, giving a 75% acceptance rate if interviewed.

ETA: I was responsible for a solid chunk of last year's shitpoasting, so don't take my comments above to be condemnatory

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”