Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Next JS2 wave(s) will be...

Monday 3/27
2%
Tuesday 3/28
17%
Wednesday 3/29
32%
Thursday 3/30
12%
Friday 3/31
28%
Saturday 4/1
9%

Total votes: 108

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by Assasindowntheavenue » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:14 pm

QuentonCassidy wrote:Update on my original PSA, I checked the appointment scheduling website again and they have taken down the slots, so the invites probably won't be going out today. This happened a couple years ago as well and the JS1s were sent out a few days later and the interviews were scheduled on the same dates that the original slots were on. Point being, I may have gotten your hopes up a bit too much, but it's highly likely that the first interviews will be on 11/2-3 and that invites will be going out soon probably before the end of next week)
You are the GOAT for being so helpful!

scott2016

New

Post by scott2016 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:34 pm

Last edited by scott2016 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theothercat

Bronze

Post by theothercat » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:34 pm

Complete as of today. Not sure if I have a shot, since I'm a splitter for Harvard (GPA above 75th, LSAT slightly below 25th), but still exciting!

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:11 pm

scott2016 wrote:Sorry if this is dumb but obviously I'm a nervous applicant and looking to see what people think. I had to answer yes to C&F question (caught with weed in my dorm room as a sophomore). I have a pretty solid LSAT (173) and a 3.79 GPA (below the 25th percentile for anyone keeping track at home) but I'm wondering how much the C&F will affect my chances? Currently working full time and getting my master's so I hope those help but idk how much HL cares about that sort of thing...
Apologize in the addendum and take ownership. Shouldn't hurt too much, if at all, if it was a one time thing and you disclose it correctly.

R. Jeeves

Gold

Post by R. Jeeves » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:05 pm

friday seems like a good day to send out JS1s

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Post by Assasindowntheavenue » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:22 pm

R. Jeeves wrote:friday seems like a good day to send out JS1s
Seriously. Would make the beginning of the weekend even better!

pretzeltime

Gold

Post by pretzeltime » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:42 pm

That'd be groovy. Let's manifest them, ready set go

QuentonCassidy

Silver

Post by QuentonCassidy » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:20 pm

The appointment slots have not yet been put back up, which does not bode well for today. Will check again on Monday.

pretzeltime

Gold

Post by pretzeltime » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:38 pm

QuentonCassidy wrote:The appointment slots have not yet been put back up, which does not bode well for today. Will check again on Monday.
ily so much already. will be very restrained and not harass you for info <3 <3 happy friday

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

QuentonCassidy

Silver

Post by QuentonCassidy » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:46 pm

pretzeltime wrote:
QuentonCassidy wrote:The appointment slots have not yet been put back up, which does not bode well for today. Will check again on Monday.
ily so much already. will be very restrained and not harass you for info <3 <3 happy friday
Haha thanks, just trying to help. While a no-harassment policy is great, I think you will find my threshold for what constitutes harassment to be very high, and I would encourage anyone with questions about the application process or HLS in general to either pm me or ask on this board.

R. Jeeves

Gold

Post by R. Jeeves » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:27 am

hype hype hype hype hype
Last edited by R. Jeeves on Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QuentonCassidy

Silver

Post by QuentonCassidy » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:21 pm

[+] Spoiler
Appointment slots have yet to be put back up, indicating today's chances are slim.

pretzeltime

Gold

Post by pretzeltime » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:45 pm

R. Jeeves wrote:hype hype hype hype hype

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pretzeltime

Gold

Post by pretzeltime » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:45 pm

QuentonCassidy wrote:
[+] Spoiler
Appointment slots have yet to be put back up, indicating today's chances are slim.
thx!

RictusErectus

Bronze

Post by RictusErectus » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:21 pm

Hope you guys have been following up on this controversy at Harvard. Honestly reduces my respect for the university: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/24/opini ... .html?_r=1

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Post by Assasindowntheavenue » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:34 pm

RictusErectus wrote:Hope you guys have been following up on this controversy at Harvard. Honestly reduces my respect for the university: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/24/opini ... .html?_r=1
Sort of hard to take an op-ed from NYT at face value and not think they have their own agenda. IMO.

pretzeltime

Gold

Post by pretzeltime » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:46 pm

RictusErectus wrote:Hope you guys have been following up on this controversy at Harvard. Honestly reduces my respect for the university: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/24/opini ... .html?_r=1
It sucks, but this is the age of the neoliberal university. All of these institutions are rife with breathtaking hypocrisy. Harvard just gets more press because of their name recognition. Some are even worse than Harvard (NYU's extensive collusion with two repressive dictatorships comes to mind...)

What I can say on behalf of HLS is that tons of their students have been very supportive to the strikers, in a number of ways. That is heartening. And the HLS faculty tend to be rather irreverent when it comes to these sorts of issues, and the Harvard administration/corporation's various other dubious dealings. Not perfect, but pretty good.

I think the key is to either go to a public school (which are not free of such problems themselves but may be slightly better) or accept the hypocrisy of higher educational institutions in America, trust in the many good students, professors, and staff that you meet, but understand that you are essentially attending a hedge fund that has a side project of higher education.

Then graduate and become a social justice warrior!

Fight on, comrades!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:52 pm

pretzeltime wrote:
It sucks, but this is the age of the neoliberal university. All of these institutions are rife with breathtaking hypocrisy. Harvard just gets more press because of their name recognition. Some are even worse than Harvard (NYU's extensive collusion with two repressive dictatorships comes to mind...)

What I can say on behalf of HLS is that tons of their students have been very supportive to the strikers, in a number of ways. That is heartening. And the HLS faculty tend to be rather irreverent when it comes to these sorts of issues, and the Harvard administration/corporation's various other dubious dealings. Not perfect, but pretty good.

I think the key is to either go to a public school (which are not free of such problems themselves but may be slightly better) or accept the hypocrisy of higher educational institutions in America, trust in the many good students, professors, and staff that you meet, but understand that you are essentially attending a hedge fund that has a side project of higher education.

Fight on, comrades!

Plenty of Public Interest Lawyers (and nearly all graduate students) make do on similar salaries. 32,000 a year, so likely significantly more than 15$ an hour is perfectly reasonable for such a low-skilled position.

RictusErectus

Bronze

Post by RictusErectus » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:01 pm

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
Sort of hard to take an op-ed from NYT at face value and not think they have their own agenda. IMO.
The op-ed is written by one of the affected workers -- of course it has an agenda! It's up to you how you feel about the issue at hand.

Pretzel is right: the support -- on the ground and with the technical / legal consultation -- that many Harvard students have provided is heartening. If I get into the law school (BIG IF), I hope to do the same. Until then, here's a sad tweet:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/billhumphreyma/stat ... 8203238400[/tweet]

Edit: I wish I had a 100 posts already so that would load smoothly. Sorry.

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:09 pm

Last edited by curry1 on Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pretzeltime

Gold

Post by pretzeltime » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:16 pm

curry1 wrote:
RictusErectus wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
The op-ed is written by one of the affected workers -- of course it has an agenda! It's up to you how you feel about the issue at hand.

Pretzel is right: the support -- on the ground and with the technical / legal consultation -- that many Harvard students have provided is heartening. If I get into the law school (BIG IF), I hope to do the same. Until then, here's a sad tweet:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/billhumphreyma/stat ... 8203238400[/tweet]

Edit: I wish I had a 100 posts already so that would load smoothly. Sorry.

Why should they be paid more? The median household income in the U.S. is right around $50,000 and many households have two wage-earners. They currently make around $32,000 and they indisputably work jobs that nearly any able-bodied person is capable of doing. They also have not taken on debt or the opportunity costs associated with higher education. To me, it seems like they are getting paid just about right. I bet most of these Harvard students (med etc.) will be singing a different tune when they are earning hundreds of thousands of dollars a year after more than a decade of higher ed and menial workers at their hospital firm etc. want higher salaries which will lower their earnings.

Curry, you clearly have a different perspective than we do. I doubt you'll change our minds or vice versa.

Before we go down a useless spiral of arguments, why don't we just call it a day.

And go back to the purpose of this thread -- wildly speculating and sometimes providing valid info about JS1s!!!!!!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

forum_user

Silver

Post by forum_user » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:17 pm

curry1 wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:

Fight on, comrades!

Plenty of public interest lawyers (and nearly all graduate students) make do on similar salaries. 32,000 a year, so likely significantly more than 15$ an hour is perfectly reasonable for such a low-skilled position.
Well, there's a big difference between $31,000 and $44,000. http://www.nalp.org/july14research. You're probably right about grad students, but it's not like they're going to be students forever. Unskilled laborers, however, are likely to be in that position for a lot longer, typically with little room for advancement/pay increases. The larger point, though, is that it's embarrassingly hypocritical for a supposedly progressive institution to cause its workers to live in functional poverty.

pretzeltime

Gold

Post by pretzeltime » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:17 pm

forum_user wrote:
curry1 wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:

Fight on, comrades!

Plenty of public interest lawyers (and nearly all graduate students) make do on similar salaries. 32,000 a year, so likely significantly more than 15$ an hour is perfectly reasonable for such a low-skilled position.
Well, there's a big difference between $31,000 and $44,000. http://www.nalp.org/july14research. You're probably right about grad students, but it's not like they're going to be students forever. Unskilled laborers, however, are likely to be in that position for a lot longer, typically with little room for advancement/pay increases. The larger point, though, is that it's embarrassingly hypocritical for a supposedly progressive institution to cause its workers to live in functional poverty.
Also, this. TY f_U :lol:

beckettbuddy

New

Post by beckettbuddy » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:20 pm

Last edited by beckettbuddy on Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:27 pm

forum_user wrote:
curry1 wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:

Fight on, comrades!

Note that the public interest lawyer likely has significant debt, the servicing of which brings her salary closer to the H dining worker. Most Public Interest Lawyers didn't go to T14's with great LRAP'S or H. I know this is pointless, but I would argue that H is not forcing its workers to live in "functional poverty." They made many choices, i.e. having children like the worker in the article which constrain their lives. If they didn't have children or had a spouse who also worked they would not be living in such uncertainty.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”