WASHINGTON AND LEE ( W&L) School of Law c/o 2020 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jstans

Bronze

Re: WASHINGTON AND LEE ( W&L) School of Law c/o 2020 Applicants

Post by jstans » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:40 pm

Charlie802 wrote:Did everyone get the free shirt request email? Seemed like a feeler to see where we are at in deciding if we will attend. Wondering if unsolicited scholarship bumps will be going out based on responses. . . ? Total speculation here.
I got the email and it definitely felt like a feeler thing. I got an unsolicited bump a few weeks back so I can't speak to that though.

Charlie802

Bronze

Post by Charlie802 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:45 pm

amta wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:Did everyone get the free shirt request email? Seemed like a feeler to see where we are at in deciding if we will attend. Wondering if unsolicited scholarship bumps will be going out based on responses. . . ? Total speculation here.
yeah, bro. 3rd law school t-shirt. stacks on stacks. wouldn't be mad if they bumped me to fully either.
Schools need to up their t-shirt game with me. This will be my first one... I wouldn't complain about more $$ either. What box did you check? I chose the "interested, but still deciding" option.

Charlie802

Bronze

Post by Charlie802 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:46 pm

jstans wrote:
I got the email and it definitely felt like a feeler thing. I got an unsolicited bump a few weeks back so I can't speak to that though.
*fingers crossed* what option did you select for interest level?

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:47 pm

Charlie802 wrote: Schools need to up their t-shirt game with me. This will be my first one... I wouldn't complain about more $$ either. What box did you check? I chose the "interested, but still deciding" option.
interested still deciding. im going to ASW the 17-18th.

shotgunheist

Bronze

Post by shotgunheist » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:48 pm

amta wrote:
Charlie802 wrote: Schools need to up their t-shirt game with me. This will be my first one... I wouldn't complain about more $$ either. What box did you check? I chose the "interested, but still deciding" option.
i'll be there. kinda between here and IU for me

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Charlie802

Bronze

Post by Charlie802 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:49 pm

shotgunheist wrote:
amta wrote:
I'll be at the 31-1st ASW.

jstans

Bronze

Post by jstans » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:53 pm

Charlie802 wrote:
jstans wrote:
Interested, but still deciding. It's going to be a tough choice for me. W&L is the closest school to home for me (out of the three schools I've narrowed it down to) but I need to see what kind of vibe Lexington gives me. I know it's a great school but my main concern is that it's kind of in the middle of nowhere and I put a lot of stock into networking with potential employers, which I'm assuming would likely be in DC if I attended. It'll be a tough call for sure.

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:55 pm

shotgunheist wrote: i'll be there. kinda between here and IU for me
going to ND LS instead of IU. was gonna try and do both but i don't wanna do a 7 hour round trip drive in 24 hours.

shotgunheist

Bronze

Post by shotgunheist » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:57 pm

amta wrote:
shotgunheist wrote: i'll be there. kinda between here and IU for me
going to ND LS instead of IU. was gonna try and do both but i don't wanna do a 7 hour round trip drive in 24 hours.
still waiting to hear back on ND, I guess money will be a big factor, but I have a strong affinity towards IU since I almost went there for undergrad

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Charlie802

Bronze

Post by Charlie802 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:06 pm

jstans wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:
jstans wrote:
Interested, but still deciding. It's going to be a tough choice for me. W&L is the closest school to home for me (out of the three schools I've narrowed it down to) but I need to see what kind of vibe Lexington gives me. I know it's a great school but my main concern is that it's kind of in the middle of nowhere and I put a lot of stock into networking with potential employers, which I'm assuming would likely be in DC if I attended. It'll be a tough call for sure.
My concerns as well. Not sure how I feel about being so far away from D.C. I am from out of state (west) so luckily the close to home isn't playing a role.

jstans

Bronze

Post by jstans » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:19 pm

Charlie802 wrote:
jstans wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:
jstans wrote:
My concerns as well. Not sure how I feel about being so far away from D.C. I am from out of state (west) so luckily the close to home isn't playing a role.
I'm afraid that it may come down purely to location for me. I have a smaller offer at a bigger northeast school, but its location may outweigh the cost in the end.

theorangewon

New

Post by theorangewon » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:23 pm

I did most of undergrad in a small town really similar to Lexington, I'm from a small town, and I'm really kind of just a good ole' country boy, to an extent. So I thought Lexington was great and I'm a big fan of the small town vibe of it. That being said, coming from a big city, it may be a little different, perhaps too different. Lexington and the people there are nice, but there are Confederate flag bumper stickers on trucks, a rich military culture due to the proximity of VMI, and it's likely a somewhat more conservative school in a cultural sense. I'm not certain if those are things will be an issue, but if you won't like living in small town southern America then I bet it'll be difficult.

WamBamThankYouMaam wrote:
theorangewon wrote:Admitted students weekend was interesting, I stayed a couple extra days with a student and really got a good feel for the school and the town I think. I withdrew applications elsewhere today and am headed to W&L in the fall. I wish the rest of you all the best of luck!
I'm leaning towards to W&L, hopefully I'll be able to make a final decision on where to go after the open house at then end of March. How was Lexington in general? I've always lived in relatively big cities, so I'm not sure what to make of the small town vibe yet.

Charlie802

Bronze

Post by Charlie802 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:33 pm

theorangewon wrote:I did most of undergrad in a small town really similar to Lexington, I'm from a small town, and I'm really kind of just a good ole' country boy, to an extent. So I thought Lexington was great and I'm a big fan of the small town vibe of it. That being said, coming from a big city, it may be a little different, perhaps too different. Lexington and the people there are nice, but there are Confederate flag bumper stickers on trucks, a rich military culture due to the proximity of VMI, and it's likely a somewhat more conservative school in a cultural sense. I'm not certain if those are things will be an issue, but if you won't like living in small town southern America then I bet it'll be difficult.

theorangewon wrote:Admitted students weekend was interesting, I stayed a couple extra days with a student and really got a good feel for the school and the town I think. I withdrew applications elsewhere today and am headed to W&L in the fall. I wish the rest of you all the best of luck!
I'm leaning towards to W&L, hopefully I'll be able to make a final decision on where to go after the open house at then end of March. How was Lexington in general? I've always lived in relatively big cities, so I'm not sure what to make of the small town vibe yet.
Interesting perspective. Thanks for sharing! Slightly worried about how I will feel about the town though. Hopefully seeing it in person brings some clarity.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jstans

Bronze

Post by jstans » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:38 pm

Charlie802 wrote:
theorangewon wrote:I did most of undergrad in a small town really similar to Lexington, I'm from a small town, and I'm really kind of just a good ole' country boy, to an extent. So I thought Lexington was great and I'm a big fan of the small town vibe of it. That being said, coming from a big city, it may be a little different, perhaps too different. Lexington and the people there are nice, but there are Confederate flag bumper stickers on trucks, a rich military culture due to the proximity of VMI, and it's likely a somewhat more conservative school in a cultural sense. I'm not certain if those are things will be an issue, but if you won't like living in small town southern America then I bet it'll be difficult.

Interesting perspective. Thanks for sharing! Slightly worried about how I will feel about the town though. Hopefully seeing it in person brings some clarity.
As someone from the South who has "uncommon" political opinions for my home state, the Confederate flags do get a little bothersome. Especially since I live in the part of my state that did not want to secede and had no interest in the slavery practice since we're up in the mountains. The gungho uninformed "heritage not hate" argument gets old given this history.

LawBuckeye12

New

Post by LawBuckeye12 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:43 pm

I didn't really notice any confederate flags. I saw one miles away from the school but that's it.

WamBamThankYouMaam

Bronze

Post by WamBamThankYouMaam » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:12 pm

Charlie802 wrote:
shotgunheist wrote:
amta wrote:
I'll be at the 31-1st ASW.
I'm gonna be at that one as well

ap23

New

Post by ap23 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:54 pm

Anybody know what's going on with W&L's numbers this year? They're giving out a ton of money on LSN, way more than usual, and the FB for admitted students has 190 people in it already. They only matriculated 100-120 the past 4 years or so. Wondering if they're expecting a drop in rankings?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LawBuckeye12

New

Post by LawBuckeye12 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:32 am

ap23 wrote:Anybody know what's going on with W&L's numbers this year? They're giving out a ton of money on LSN, way more than usual, and the FB for admitted students has 190 people in it already. They only matriculated 100-120 the past 4 years or so. Wondering if they're expecting a drop in rankings?
Was wondering the same thing with the class size. I know the FB group has some people that are already students and some students undecided but it seems like they are gonna get more than 120 (which is a shame). Wouldn't expect a drop in the rankings because their jobs numbers really picked up although their median LSAT is low compared to schools around them in rank.

WamBamThankYouMaam

Bronze

Post by WamBamThankYouMaam » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:35 pm

LawBuckeye12 wrote:
ap23 wrote:Anybody know what's going on with W&L's numbers this year? They're giving out a ton of money on LSN, way more than usual, and the FB for admitted students has 190 people in it already. They only matriculated 100-120 the past 4 years or so. Wondering if they're expecting a drop in rankings?
Was wondering the same thing with the class size. I know the FB group has some people that are already students and some students undecided but it seems like they are gonna get more than 120 (which is a shame). Wouldn't expect a drop in the rankings because their jobs numbers really picked up although their median LSAT is low compared to schools around them in rank.
I wouldn't assume that all 190 people in the accepted students page will eventually attend. According to their 509 they accepted 895 students last year and 117 enrolled. The class size might be a little higher because of the increased aid amounts, but I think W&L is really trying to raise their medians to get back to their mid-20's ranking. After their rank dropped 17 spots in 2013, W&L fired the dean and began to focus on job placement to improve their rank. Now, they're probably also trying to raise medians, by giving out a lot of merit aid, to increase their rank more.

toplaw01

New

Post by toplaw01 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:31 am

LawBuckeye12 wrote:
I wouldn't assume that all 190 people in the accepted students page will eventually attend. According to their 509 they accepted 895 students last year and 117 enrolled. The class size might be a little higher because of the increased aid amounts, but I think W&L is really trying to raise their medians to get back to their mid-20's ranking. After their rank dropped 17 spots in 2013, W&L fired the dean and began to focus on job placement to improve their rank. Now, they're probably also trying to raise medians, by giving out a lot of merit aid, to increase their rank more.
I think it's their strategy to improve the ranking. Their employment outcome was pretty decent last year and their employment is the same or better this year . I think they aim to improve their LSAT and GPA next year in purpose of moving up in the ranking!

FunandFriendship

New

Post by FunandFriendship » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:02 pm

W&L way up in the 2018 US News Rankings. +12 to 28th nationally

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/2017-u ... re-here-2/

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Bronze

Post by BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:32 pm

Congrats everyone on the big jump!! Almost certain that won't help our negotiations though!

theorangewon

New

Post by theorangewon » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:52 pm

FunandFriendship wrote:W&L way up in the 2018 US News Rankings. +12 to 28th nationally

As someone who has already committed to W&L I've got to say this is really great news.

chicagoburger

Bronze

Post by chicagoburger » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:32 pm

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) wrote:Congrats everyone on the big jump!! Almost certain that won't help our negotiations though!
I withdrew a few days ago..FML

toplaw01

New

Post by toplaw01 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:32 pm

FunandFriendship wrote:W&L way up in the 2018 US News Rankings. +12 to 28th nationally

Although it does not help our negotiations, W&L deserves it ! They've changed their Dean to improve their employment outcome. Their passing bar rate is 90% (100% for NY Bar). W&L expects to have the similar employment outcome or even better. They're trying to keep their mid-20 ranks ! :D :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”