WASHINGTON AND LEE ( W&L) School of Law c/o 2020 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
emilycc1026

New

Re: WASHINGTON AND LEE ( W&L) School of Law c/o 2020 Applicants

Post by emilycc1026 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:35 pm

Btw: is there any admitted students FB page?

Charlie802

Bronze

Post by Charlie802 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:05 pm

emilycc1026 wrote:Btw: is there any admitted students FB page?
Yes. You have to request to join it. They send the details in an email or on your acceptance letter, maybe both.

emilycc1026

New

Post by emilycc1026 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:11 pm

Charlie802 wrote:
Yes. You have to request to join it. They send the details in an email or on your acceptance letter, maybe both.

Cool, thanks. Is it the one titled 'W&L Law Admitted Students Group'?

Charlie802

Bronze

Post by Charlie802 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:40 pm

emilycc1026 wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:

Cool, thanks. Is it the one titled 'W&L Law Admitted Students Group'?

That's the one! :)

Dirtyolmuskrat

New

Post by Dirtyolmuskrat » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:41 am

Got an unsolicited scholarship offfer increase from 90,000 to 105,000 this morning.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawdog2017

New

Post by lawdog2017 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:13 pm

In this morning via status checker!

LSAT = 50
GPA < 50

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Bronze

Post by BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:26 pm

Dirtyolmuskrat wrote:Got an unsolicited scholarship offfer increase from 90,000 to 105,000 this morning.
Congrats! I got an unsolicited bump too. 112.5 to 120. ! Very excited. I am most probably flying to attend the asw from Asia ! Perhaps that indicated enough interest.

lk7999

New

Post by lk7999 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:47 pm

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) wrote:
Dirtyolmuskrat wrote:Got an unsolicited scholarship offfer increase from 90,000 to 105,000 this morning.
Congrats! I got an unsolicited bump too. 112.5 to 120. ! Very excited. I am most probably flying to attend the asw from Asia ! Perhaps that indicated enough interest.
Congrats to you two! Was just accepted today with 112.5! Very generous but excited for a potential unsolicited bump as well :lol:

jstans

Bronze

Post by jstans » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:30 pm

Just got unsolicited bump to $112,500. Dope.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cml731

New

Post by cml731 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:11 am

In this morning email and status checker, under review 1/31 if that helps anyone

LawBuckeye12

New

Post by LawBuckeye12 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:02 pm

They started the day as my 3rd option but after the open house they are my slight favorite. Really liked how the faculty and alumni will go to bat for you. Hoping to negotiate my 35k a year scholly up to the 37.5k a year rate.

anon79

New

Post by anon79 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:55 pm

My opinion of admitted students weekend:

Positives: I really liked that WL made careers a central focus about ASW. WL showed that they have made strides to improve upon their dismal performance in past years like 2011-2013 where they never topped 60% employment score on Law School Transparency. Those past years were what really turned me off about this school at first. They have a decent score for last year, and the guy in charge of OCS said they will post similar numbers this year. Now that remains to be seen, but I will be anxiously waiting for those numbers.

The students they had at the event seemed to be really engaged and helpful. I enjoyed my time talking to them and learning about the school. I also liked the fact that most classes would be small and intimate. Every one of the students seemed to have a bond with the teachers who themselves knew the students. Washington and Lee made sure to show that these student teacher bonds carried over to careers where professors helped students find positions and write detailed letters of recommendation.

Lastly, they mentioned that Lexington is a renters market. The rent is real cheap and good places could be had in Lexington. I had most students quoting their rent to be from like $450-$650 range depending on what you want.

Negatives: To be honest there aren't many negatives, so I will have to be somewhat nit picky. Let me just say that this is Lexington and not a city like Boston or New York that can provide more opportunities. Many of the students claim this is a good thing because it forces you to do your law school reading and focus on your education. I don't doubt them, but I have been told by lawyers that going to school in a city can be quite helpful in networking and finding opportunities. I don't think Lexington provides these opportunities. I am also not a fan of all the confederate flags in town.

I remember in the career section that a gentleman asked a pointed question to the student panel, "How many of you are in the top 10% of your class?" I personally felt that the panel got tense about it and did not handle the question as well as they should have. Like any law school trying to sell itself, Washington and Lee is not putting its slackers on these career panels. Nor are they putting any malcontents in charge of tours and having lunch with prospective students. Still, I felt that the student atmosphere was genuine, but I could have been fooled.

Summary: Overall, I felt that Washington and Lee is a great law school. Their career services and student panel reassured me to an extent that WL's poor jobs numbers might just be behind them. But really who knows? Another economic downturn could be right around the corner and WL will not be as insulated as more highly regarded schools. By looking at past numbers, their alumni and professors did not come to bat for them from 2011-2013. What has changed I wonder? Anyways, I love the small class sizes and student body that knows each other. Some might find this high schoolish environment suffocating, but I personally found it refreshing coming from a large public university where huge class sizes were the norm. The low rent and ease of traveling to grocery stores and restaurants is also a big plus.

Washington and Lee is still in my top three. I currently have free tuition from a peer school which puts WL at a disadvantage despite the generous scholarship they have offered me. I was impressed by WL, but only an increase in scholarship could change my decision into a coin toss.

Pinkpanda24

Bronze

Post by Pinkpanda24 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:27 pm

anon79 wrote:My opinion of admitted students weekend:

Positives: I really liked that WL made careers a central focus about ASW. WL showed that they have made strides to improve upon their dismal performance in past years like 2011-2013 where they never topped 60% employment score on Law School Transparency. Those past years were what really turned me off about this school at first. They have a decent score for last year, and the guy in charge of OCS said they will post similar numbers this year. Now that remains to be seen, but I will be anxiously waiting for those numbers.

The students they had at the event seemed to be really engaged and helpful. I enjoyed my time talking to them and learning about the school. I also liked the fact that most classes would be small and intimate. Every one of the students seemed to have a bond with the teachers who themselves knew the students. Washington and Lee made sure to show that these student teacher bonds carried over to careers where professors helped students find positions and write detailed letters of recommendation.

Lastly, they mentioned that Lexington is a renters market. The rent is real cheap and good places could be had in Lexington. I had most students quoting their rent to be from like $450-$650 range depending on what you want.

Negatives: To be honest there aren't many negatives, so I will have to be somewhat nit picky. Let me just say that this is Lexington and not a city like Boston or New York that can provide more opportunities. Many of the students claim this is a good thing because it forces you to do your law school reading and focus on your education. I don't doubt them, but I have been told by lawyers that going to school in a city can be quite helpful in networking and finding opportunities. I don't think Lexington provides these opportunities. I am also not a fan of all the confederate flags in town.

I remember in the career section that a gentleman asked a pointed question to the student panel, "How many of you are in the top 10% of your class?" I personally felt that the panel got tense about it and did not handle the question as well as they should have. Like any law school trying to sell itself, Washington and Lee is not putting its slackers on these career panels. Nor are they putting any malcontents in charge of tours and having lunch with prospective students. Still, I felt that the student atmosphere was genuine, but I could have been fooled.

Summary: Overall, I felt that Washington and Lee is a great law school. Their career services and student panel reassured me to an extent that WL's poor jobs numbers might just be behind them. But really who knows? Another economic downturn could be right around the corner and WL will not be as insulated as more highly regarded schools. By looking at past numbers, their alumni and professors did not come to bat for them from 2011-2013. What has changed I wonder? Anyways, I love the small class sizes and student body that knows each other. Some might find this high schoolish environment suffocating, but I personally found it refreshing coming from a large public university where huge class sizes were the norm. The low rent and ease of traveling to grocery stores and restaurants is also a big plus.

Washington and Lee is still in my top three. I currently have free tuition from a peer school which puts WL at a disadvantage despite the generous scholarship they have offered me. I was impressed by WL, but only an increase in scholarship could change my decision into a coin toss.
Thank you for this!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chelssd3232

New

Post by chelssd3232 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:21 pm

Has anyone else on hold heard anything yet today? They promised to let us know our status by March 1st.

cd1945

New

Post by cd1945 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:44 pm

chelssd3232 wrote:Has anyone else on hold heard anything yet today? They promised to let us know our status by March 1st.
I was admitted 2/20 off on hold since mid-November.

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:55 pm

anon79 wrote:My opinion of admitted students weekend:
did you room with another admitted student?

BostonGrad123

New

Post by BostonGrad123 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:11 pm

cd1945 wrote:
chelssd3232 wrote:Has anyone else on hold heard anything yet today? They promised to let us know our status by March 1st.
I was on hold mid-November as well and have heard nothing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chelssd3232

New

Post by chelssd3232 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:29 pm

BostonGrad123 wrote:
cd1945 wrote:
I was on hold mid-November as well and have heard nothing.
Delete
Last edited by chelssd3232 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theorangewon

New

Post by theorangewon » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:10 pm

Admitted students weekend was interesting, I stayed a couple extra days with a student and really got a good feel for the school and the town I think. I withdrew applications elsewhere today and am headed to W&L in the fall. I wish the rest of you all the best of luck!

WamBamThankYouMaam

Bronze

Post by WamBamThankYouMaam » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:40 pm

theorangewon wrote:Admitted students weekend was interesting, I stayed a couple extra days with a student and really got a good feel for the school and the town I think. I withdrew applications elsewhere today and am headed to W&L in the fall. I wish the rest of you all the best of luck!
I'm leaning towards to W&L, hopefully I'll be able to make a final decision on where to go after the open house at then end of March. How was Lexington in general? I've always lived in relatively big cities, so I'm not sure what to make of the small town vibe yet.

texas95

New

Post by texas95 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:45 pm

Status checker says both my acceptance letter and scholarship offer were mailed on 2/23. Got acceptance on 2/25, but scholarship offer hasn't come in yet. Worth calling the admissions office about it at this point?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

WamBamThankYouMaam

Bronze

Post by WamBamThankYouMaam » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:49 pm

texas95 wrote:Status checker says both my acceptance letter and scholarship offer were mailed on 2/23. Got acceptance on 2/25, but scholarship offer hasn't come in yet. Worth calling the admissions office about it at this point?
My offer was mailed 2/22 and I got it on 2/25. Do the acceptance letter and scholarship offer come as two separate things? I remember getting both in the same envelope.

texas95

New

Post by texas95 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:56 pm

WamBamThankYouMaam wrote:
texas95 wrote:Status checker says both my acceptance letter and scholarship offer were mailed on 2/23. Got acceptance on 2/25, but scholarship offer hasn't come in yet. Worth calling the admissions office about it at this point?
My offer was mailed 2/22 and I got it on 2/25. Do the acceptance letter and scholarship offer come as two separate things? I remember getting both in the same envelope.
Actually I think I'm getting my schools mixed up. I got the acceptance email from W&L but nothing at all via snail mail yet. Got a few other scholarship offers in the mail that same week so I got them confused. Guess I'll wait a little longer before contacting the admissions office.

Charlie802

Bronze

Post by Charlie802 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:38 pm

Did everyone get the free shirt request email? Seemed like a feeler to see where we are at in deciding if we will attend. Wondering if unsolicited scholarship bumps will be going out based on responses. . . ? Total speculation here.

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:40 pm

Charlie802 wrote:Did everyone get the free shirt request email? Seemed like a feeler to see where we are at in deciding if we will attend. Wondering if unsolicited scholarship bumps will be going out based on responses. . . ? Total speculation here.
yeah, bro. 3rd law school t-shirt. stacks on stacks. wouldn't be mad if they bumped me to fully either.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”