*** TLS is now owned by an objective lemon. Post nuked. *** Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HonestlyThough

Bronze

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by HonestlyThough » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:36 pm

Status
Degree: JD
Year: 2017
Current Status: Application Complete
Decision Status Date:

Is it weird that it's blank?

Jlyyep

New

Post by Jlyyep » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:32 am

HonestlyThough wrote:Status
Decision Status Date:

Nope! The Date you're looking for is on the DLDS, not the Status Checker.

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Post by HonestlyThough » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:21 am

Jlyyep wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:Status
Decision Status Date:

Nope! The Date you're looking for is on the DLDS, not the Status Checker.
Is that the place you login to get your decision? Huh. Didn't realize we were supposed to check that until we got told of a decision. Clueless over here

symphonyy

New

Post by symphonyy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:33 am

was denied reconsideration request. this is so sad.

Mudori

New

Post by Mudori » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:51 pm

symphonyy wrote:was denied reconsideration request. this is so sad.
sorry to hear... T20 usually never do this anyway... don't feel bad.

Been sitting here since 1/3.... omg

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Post by HonestlyThough » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:03 pm

I'm UR 2/27. What is going on.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:40 pm

Should have thought about posting this earlier: for those still deciding whether to accept your NU offer or not, you should know that every class (except clinics, seminars, and other rare exceptions) will be on a curve starting next year. This includes courses you will take as a 2L and 3L. The traditional rule is that courses with only 41+ students are curved, but the administration is doing away with that. Some view this as a good policy, others bad. I'm in the latter camp.

Bulla

Bronze

Post by Bulla » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:08 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Should have thought about posting this earlier: for those still deciding whether to accept your NU offer or not, you should know that every class (except clinics, seminars, and other rare exceptions) will be on a curve starting next year. This includes courses you will take as a 2L and 3L. The traditional rule is that courses with only 41+ students are curved, but the administration is doing away with that. Some view this as a good policy, others bad. I'm in the latter camp.
What is the usual class mean (% wise) on the final exams in your section?

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:24 pm

NU does not make you withdraw from schools you were waitlisted at, correct?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:28 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:NU does not make you withdraw from schools you were waitlisted at, correct?
Correct

symphonyy

New

Post by symphonyy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:16 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Should have thought about posting this earlier: for those still deciding whether to accept your NU offer or not, you should know that every class (except clinics, seminars, and other rare exceptions) will be on a curve starting next year. This includes courses you will take as a 2L and 3L. The traditional rule is that courses with only 41+ students are curved, but the administration is doing away with that. Some view this as a good policy, others bad. I'm in the latter camp.
why do you think it's bad?

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:30 am

symphonyy wrote:
It's bad. Small classes (<=40) didn't have to be curved. So it was less competitive. If you had your top 40 students in one class (let's say they all had 4.0's or above), with the curve there will be at least half the class getting below a B. Previously, they could all get A's if they did work deserving of said grade. I don't like or agree with curve grading (I understand the logic behind it, but still disagree with it) because it creates unnecessary competition between students, which is the opposite of NU's mission statement (teamwork, working together, these are your peers, etc.)

Here's their curve breakdown:
[+] Spoiler
So a maximum of 37% of any given class can get A's.

This was honestly the selling point of NU for me. I truly believed in their team-minded approach to law school. I'll likely be reconsidering my top choice next cycle because of this.

Do you have a link as to where you read this?

XUMickeal

New

Post by XUMickeal » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:06 am

TWiiX wrote:
symphonyy wrote:
It's bad. Small classes (<=40) didn't have to be curved. So it was less competitive. If you had your top 40 students in one class (let's say they all had 4.0's or above), with the curve there will be at least half the class getting below a B. Previously, they could all get A's if they did work deserving of said grade. I don't like or agree with curve grading (I understand the logic behind it, but still disagree with it) because it creates unnecessary competition between students, which is the opposite of NU's mission statement (teamwork, working together, these are your peers, etc.)

Here's their curve breakdown:

So a maximum of 37% of any given class can get A's.

This was honestly the selling point of NU for me. I truly believed in their team-minded approach to law school. I'll likely be reconsidering my top choice next cycle because of this.

Can confirm this. I went to diverse admit students day and was assigned to talk to one of the faculty members on the curriculum committee and she brought up the change. She did mention the reform as a plus saying that it should make the system fairer but I personally don't see it that way. Small seminars and team projects are still uncurved tho.

Recently withdrew my application after a stingy bump on scholarship so hopefully freed up some space for folks who are willing to take five graded classes per semester in 1L plus two years of curved electives.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:13 pm

TWiiX wrote:
no link, but also recall hearing this last weekend

thatlawlkid

Gold

Post by thatlawlkid » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:21 pm

What kind of turnover time did people have for the scholly reconsideration? Submitted mine Tuesday night, so just curious

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:23 pm

thatlawlkid wrote:What kind of turnover time did people have for the scholly reconsideration? Submitted mine Tuesday night, so just curious
heard the next day

thatlawlkid

Gold

Post by thatlawlkid » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:33 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
thatlawlkid wrote:What kind of turnover time did people have for the scholly reconsideration? Submitted mine Tuesday night, so just curious
heard the next day
*anxiously refreshing email every 3 minutes*

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:44 pm

thatlawlkid wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
heard the next day
Of the people here, I think only one has gotten a successful bump, so I wouldn't get too excited/anxious

thatlawlkid

Gold

Post by thatlawlkid » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:45 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
thatlawlkid wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
heard the next day
Of the people here, I think only one has gotten a successful bump, so I wouldn't get too excited/anxious
Don't kill my vibe, bad friend.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:46 pm

thatlawlkid wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
thatlawlkid wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
heard the next day
Just trying to ground you. It'll make it all that more exciting if you didn't expect a single cent more than you've already gotten.

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:49 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
thatlawlkid wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
thatlawlkid wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
heard the next day
Just trying to ground you. It'll make it all that more exciting if you didn't expect a single cent more than you've already gotten.
I've heard of one more person who was successful (besides the person who already posted)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MadamSecretary

New

Post by MadamSecretary » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:56 pm

Any movement from waitlist people?
I sent in another LOCI (3rd one) yesterday, and an updated resume, I am assuming its just a waiting game for the next few weeks?
Admission is probably a long shot with my LSAT but I'm holding out hope!

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:58 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
thatlawlkid wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
thatlawlkid wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
heard the next day
Yeah, my renegotiation was a failure.

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:02 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
thatlawlkid wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
thatlawlkid wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
heard the next day
Yeah, my renegotiation was a failure.

Less than 24hours and was very successful personally. I know that has not been the case on TLS but it was a very positive experience on my end.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:54 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”