*** TLS is now owned by an objective lemon. Post nuked. *** Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
guynourmin

Gold

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by guynourmin » Wed May 10, 2017 3:31 pm

gwillygecko wrote:Pleased to announce I'm going to nwu!!!!!
Congrats!! are you from Chicago?

Check in here:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=276168

gwillygecko

Bronze

Post by gwillygecko » Wed May 10, 2017 3:41 pm

88234 wrote:

Off the WL?
I got admitted rd but they offered a scholly today one I cannot refuse!

Lived in chi for a year as a derivatives trader a few yrs ago

badgalriri9

New

Post by badgalriri9 » Wed May 10, 2017 4:36 pm

gwillygecko wrote:
88234 wrote:

Off the WL?

Someone sell me on Northwestern! They gave me a nice scholly too but I feel weird since I had just set my heart on Penn :oops: I just want Big Law in DC so I should never choose Penn instead right!!

Bronze

Post by 88234 » Wed May 10, 2017 4:37 pm

badgalriri9 wrote:
gwillygecko wrote:
88234 wrote:

Off the WL?

Someone sell me on Northwestern! They gave me a nice scholly too but I feel weird since I had just set my heart on Penn :oops: I just want Big Law in DC so I should never choose Penn instead right!!

Go to Penn. It's better for east coast biglaw.

I'm on the waitlist though, so that's in my interest as well.

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Wed May 10, 2017 4:38 pm

badgalriri9 wrote:
gwillygecko wrote:
88234 wrote:

Off the WL?

Big Law in DC is hard from either option. If you shooting for NYC Biglaw then Penn is slightly better but if you would prefer Chicago, NU is better. If your shooting for just BigLaw go to the one that is cheaper

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

xandra_v

Bronze

Post by xandra_v » Wed May 10, 2017 4:45 pm

badgalriri9 wrote:
gwillygecko wrote:
88234 wrote:

Off the WL?

I would say that if you carefully craft a narrative for DC and spend time networking with folks in the city, DC Biglaw isn't out of reach. I spoke with their OCS about east coast placement (I was curious about Boston, which requires some work/hustle from most T14s anyway, ha) and their entire east coast placement seems to be DC/NYC.

I say take the money. (also then we can be NU Law friends!!)

badgalriri9

New

Post by badgalriri9 » Wed May 10, 2017 4:46 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
badgalriri9 wrote:
gwillygecko wrote:
88234 wrote:

Off the WL?

Big Law in DC is hard from either option. If you shooting for NYC Biglaw then Penn is slightly better but if you would prefer Chicago, NU is better. If your shooting for just BigLaw go to the one that is cheaper
It's an 80k difference so I was leaning towards Northwestern...but I don't wanna be unemployed or in Chicago (can't deal with the cold). I'd rather be in NY if I can't get DC.

xandra_v

Bronze

Post by xandra_v » Wed May 10, 2017 4:48 pm

badgalriri9 wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
badgalriri9 wrote:
gwillygecko wrote:
88234 wrote:

Off the WL?

It's an 80k difference so I was leaning towards Northwestern...but I don't wanna be unemployed or in Chicago (can't deal with the cold). I'd rather be in NY if I can't get DC.
Don't count yourself out on DC. For 80k you can get there if you put in the strategic work.

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Wed May 10, 2017 4:51 pm

badgalriri9 wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
badgalriri9 wrote:
gwillygecko wrote:
88234 wrote:

Off the WL?

Penn is not worth 80k more for NY Biglaw. Penn only places 9% of grads in DC so you will have to be top of your class no matter which option you choose and the top of your class at either are recognized as peers. Go to NU.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Wed May 10, 2017 4:59 pm

xandra_v wrote:
badgalriri9 wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
badgalriri9 wrote:
gwillygecko wrote:
88234 wrote:

Off the WL?

Don't count yourself out on DC. For 80k you can get there if you put in the strategic work.
The same "strategic work" would be required at either option. Penn is not significantly better at DC Biglaw placement than NU

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Wed May 10, 2017 6:54 pm

Overall, Penn has better employment stats, higher clerk rate, more national reach, and more prestige. I'd choose Penn. They said they didnt want Chicago, so why live and go to school there then? Cost of living in Philly is ridiculously cheaper too.

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Thu May 11, 2017 12:42 pm

fips tedora wrote:Overall, Penn has better employment stats, higher clerk rate, more national reach, and more prestige. I'd choose Penn. They said they didnt want Chicago, so why live and go to school there then? Cost of living in Philly is ridiculously cheaper too.
Penn has slightly better BigLaw stats which is the person's goal, but I don't think its worth the extra $80,000 + interest for a 4% difference. OP really wants DC Biglaw and both will be difficult to get from either school. Yes, OP doesn't want Chicago but it doesn't seem like they want Philly either since her second choice is NYC. Not arguing that NU is a better overall school, I just think OP can attempt DC Biglaw goal and achieve NYC BIglaw from either, but save a lot of money at one option.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Wed May 24, 2017 5:01 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

camjdavis

New

Post by camjdavis » Wed May 24, 2017 6:48 pm

badgalriri9 wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
badgalriri9 wrote:
gwillygecko wrote:
88234 wrote:

Off the WL?

Go with Northwestern for sure. The point of going to a "top 14" is that they all have national reach. Northwestern isn't just top 14--it's top 10. Northwestern sends many to the east coast every year. And as Northwestern will tell you on their site, they're #2 for BigLaw placement according to Vault (http://www.law.northwestern.edu/about/n ... cfm?ID=845). If you factor in the 80k difference, doesn't seem like you can go wrong with Northwestern.

lawgirl233

New

Post by lawgirl233 » Fri May 26, 2017 1:23 pm

Does NU really give out much need based aid? I know the website says its package is combined of need and merit based, but I am just wondering realistically how much I can expect in need based because I most likely will not get much merit.

notsolawful

Bronze

Post by notsolawful » Tue May 30, 2017 4:01 am

lawgirl233 wrote:Does NU really give out much need based aid? I know the website says its package is combined of need and merit based, but I am just wondering realistically how much I can expect in need based because I most likely will not get much merit.
Based on my numbers, it feel like I got a decent amount need based. If you message me, I can tell you my numbers and financial situation and scholarship amount.

core_four

New

Post by core_four » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:49 pm

Medians for early decision scholly?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:13 pm

core_four wrote:Medians for early decision scholly?
Sort lsn for money and see who got 150k

NUDad

New

Post by NUDad » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:16 pm

As best I can tell it the LSAT median was 169 last year and 169-170 in the current year. Impossible to say without a complete data set.

Mudori

New

Post by Mudori » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:27 pm

If anyone is looking for last minute housing very close to the law school walking distance, and is ok w/living in the living room, please message me. The complex is nice. Thanks!

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:27 am

>75% for both LSAT and GPA

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:20 pm

twiix wrote:
Only 9 people on LSN got ED this year but their GPA median is noticably below NU's 50th. Same with the 10 people who received it on LSN the year before. Do you have info from somewhere else on this that you can provide to support your statement?

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:47 pm

guynourmin wrote:
twiix wrote:
Only 9 people on LSN got ED this year but their GPA median is noticably below NU's 50th. Same with the 10 people who received it on LSN the year before. Do you have info from somewhere else on this that you can provide to support your statement?
I would agree with Guy here. Most people who apply for and receive the Pritzker ED scholarship are slightly below one median and above the 75th for the other. Most people with above both 75ths don't apply ED and thus are not in the pool of applicants for it. Mostly mild splitters and a few mild reverse splitters

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:57 pm

chargers21 wrote:
guynourmin wrote:
twiix wrote:
I would agree with Guy here. Most people who apply for and receive the Pritzker ED scholarship are slightly below one median and above the 75th for the other. Most people with above both 75ths don't apply ED and thus are not in the pool of applicants for it. Mostly mild splitters and a few mild reverse splitters
I hadn't thought about the bolded but that seems like the exact right reasoning. There probably just aren't a dozen 3.9+/171+ people EDing to NU. Rightfully so.

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:31 pm

guynourmin wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
guynourmin wrote:
twiix wrote:
I hadn't thought about the bolded but that seems like the exact right reasoning. There probably just aren't a dozen 3.9+/171+ people EDing to NU. Rightfully so.
Definitely didn't mean >, I was in a haze this morning. I think I meant to write ~. Either way, I agree with you guys.

Out of the individuals that I've talked to who received ED, and from the woman in adcom who I've spoken to, it was definitely "close" to 75%. I don't know if saying above 75% or at 75% is the MEDIAN, but they made it clear they bring in people with above 75% on ED pretty regularly due to the allure of 150k. I agree though that some soft splitters scoop it up as well, but there's no way it's offered to people >75% LSAT and <25% GPA. Maybe median GPA if you're in the >75% LSAT category, or vice versa if you've got the weak reverse split going to help counterbalance the super splitters with shitty gpas like myself.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”