Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

if waitlisted, are you going to stay on it?

yes, until the very end
45%
yes, but only until July (or something like that)
21%
no
21%
idk???
13%

Total votes: 85

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by KateMcKitten » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:04 pm

Gabriel_is_Satan wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:For Y's black box, is major a big factor? Like, are some majors given more weight and somewhat act as an extra soft (or, on the flip side, are some majors seen as detriment)?
Well, if you're a fashion major, you^re probably a better fit for HLS ... :twisted:
Guess I'll see myself out then ;)

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:20 pm

AnonHumanPerson123 wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:For Y's black box, is major a big factor? Like, are some majors given more weight and somewhat act as an extra soft (or, on the flip side, are some majors seen as detriment)?
Because of the unique faculty review process, I think it is impossible to make generalizations about the Yale process. All professors likely have their own way of evaluating applicants.
That's fair, but I wonder if there is an overarching bias amongst faculty/admissions that some majors are more/less worthy than others.

potterotter

Bronze

Post by potterotter » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:28 pm

---
Last edited by potterotter on Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gabriel_is_Satan

Bronze

Post by Gabriel_is_Satan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:43 pm

KateMcKitten wrote:
Gabriel_is_Satan wrote:
Well, if you're a fashion major, you^re probably a better fit for HLS ... :twisted:
Not so fast. The existential question here is: who do you want to be (or be with)? Warner, or Warner's older brother? Because that, in the end, is what really differentiates YLS from HLS ...

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:33 pm

Gabriel_is_Satan wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:
Gabriel_is_Satan wrote:
Not so fast. The existential question here is: who do you want to be (or be with)? Warner, or Warner's older brother? Because that, in the end, is what really differentiates YLS from HLS ...
Warner's sister, if she's still available. Any idea where she went to law school?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

eck456

Bronze

Post by eck456 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:32 pm

VapidP wrote:
Gabriel_is_Satan wrote:
potterotter wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:I've come to the conclusion that I won't be hearing back until April 30th at the earliest. I am not pleased about it. Release me, Y............
There haven't been any decisions released in nine days. Last cycle, decisions were released at a minimum of every seven days starting in mid-February. :(

Hopefully there are some more decisions soon!
They've been a little behind this cycle from the beginning so I wouldn't worry about it. Theres still ~90 spots left :)
Any reason for them being a bit slower this year? Or is it just a random thing?
Lower LSAT scores?
Are we even sure that they are behind this year? I just checked the C/O 2019 thread, and the FB group size was reported as 168 (12 less than the current count) on 3/7/16.
I talked to a 3L friend there who had talked to an admissions person and they said the whole schedule was running late this year partially because faculty didn't have time to review the files with all the trump stuff. PM me if you feel it necessary, but thats the extent of the information I have pretty much

Gabriel_is_Satan

Bronze

Post by Gabriel_is_Satan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:56 am

eck456 wrote:
I talked to a 3L friend there who had talked to an admissions person and they said the whole schedule was running late this year partially because faculty didn't have time to review the files with all the trump stuff. PM me if you feel it necessary, but thats the extent of the information I have pretty much
Well, this doesn't bode well for the coming ding wave. If they have to start prioritizing, It would make sense to get the admission part right asap, and postpone the WL/reject stuff to late April ...

AnonHumanPerson123

New

Post by AnonHumanPerson123 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:05 am

Gabriel_is_Satan wrote:
eck456 wrote:
Well, this doesn't bode well for the coming ding wave. If they have to start prioritizing, It would make sense to get the admission part right asap, and postpone the WL/reject stuff to late April ...
I suspect only a handful (i.e., minority) of faculty members were busy with all the Trump work though, right?

Whittie

Bronze

Post by Whittie » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:41 pm

Gabriel_is_Satan wrote:
eck456 wrote:
I suspect only a handful (i.e., minority) of faculty members were busy with all the Trump work though, right?
I sense a joke coming... "How many YLS professors does it take to stop a budding autocracy?"

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

guppiesbaby

New

Post by guppiesbaby » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:57 pm

eck456 wrote:
This is interesting, thanks.

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:19 pm

Whittie wrote: I sense a joke coming... "How many YLS professors does it take to stop a budding autocracy?"
:lol:

guppiesbaby

New

Post by guppiesbaby » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:34 pm

Have the acceptances still been going out only on Saturdays pretty much? It's such a smattering that I don't feel like scraping together acceptances throughout this thread. Thanks :)

AnonHumanPerson123

New

Post by AnonHumanPerson123 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:44 pm

guppiesbaby wrote:Have the acceptances still been going out only on Saturdays pretty much? It's such a smattering that I don't feel like scraping together acceptances throughout this thread. Thanks :)
The last five or so (save for one Tuesday) have been on the weekends (mainly Saturdays).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

guppiesbaby

New

Post by guppiesbaby » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:23 am

guppiesbaby wrote:Have the acceptances still been going out only on Saturdays pretty much? It's such a smattering that I don't feel like scraping together acceptances throughout this thread. Thanks :)
The last five or so (save for one Tuesday) have been on the weekends (mainly Saturdays).
Thanks a bunch!!!!!

eck456

Bronze

Post by eck456 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:49 am

Gabriel_is_Satan wrote:
eck456 wrote:
The impression I got was some were directly working on anti-trump and travel ban stuff, some were working on political stuff related to the trump presidency, and some were involved with some of the new international relations challenges. I don't think it was all anti, just generally generated by the new administration and the legal ramifications of the appointments, implementation issues, etc. So in general it seemed like a lot of profs just had a bigger non academic workload than normal

navylawhopeful

New

Post by navylawhopeful » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:11 pm

Ok everyone, I visited YLS this week and was able to pick up my YLS snuggie in person. It is as fantastic as advertised (and I am definitely attending now). Sounds like the admissions office is a bit behind this year (it's shocking how few people are involved in reading/sorting all our applications) but snuggies will be sent to all admits this year as in previous years.

AndromedaGalaxy

New

Post by AndromedaGalaxy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:18 pm

navylawhopeful wrote:Ok everyone, I visited YLS this week and was able to pick up my YLS snuggie in person. It is as fantastic as advertised (and I am definitely attending now). Sounds like the admissions office is a bit behind this year (it's shocking how few people are involved in reading/sorting all our applications) but snuggies will be sent to all admits this year as in previous years.
I never thought I could feel so covetous of a snuggie.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jewls2230

New

Post by jewls2230 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:18 pm

navylawhopeful wrote:Ok everyone, I visited YLS this week and was able to pick up my YLS snuggie in person. It is as fantastic as advertised (and I am definitely attending now). Sounds like the admissions office is a bit behind this year (it's shocking how few people are involved in reading/sorting all our applications) but snuggies will be sent to all admits this year as in previous years.

YASSSSSS!!! Snuggies!!!!

AnonHumanPerson123

New

Post by AnonHumanPerson123 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:19 pm

Congrats! That is awesome. Did they drop any other hints about admissions, other than they are behind (e.g., when all decisions will be out, how many slots are left, etc.)?

navylawhopeful

New

Post by navylawhopeful » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:22 pm

Congrats! That is awesome. Did they drop any other hints about admissions, other than they are behind (e.g., when all decisions will be out, how many slots are left, etc.)?
Honestly didn't ask much about their process (and I doubt they'd give any specifics). All I'd say is the admissions/administrative staff at YLS has been incredibly kind and helpful. If you have questions, reach out to them!

Baby Gaga

Bronze

Post by Baby Gaga » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:26 pm

jewls2230 wrote:

YASSSSSS!!! Snuggies!!!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pretzeltime

Gold

Post by pretzeltime » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:34 pm

Navy's mention of snuggies was permitted because it accompanied some admissions knowledge

Mentions and/or celebrations of snuggies in and of themselves must be taken to the admits thread, or you will have pretzel to answer to. And if she doesn't hesitate to end a sentence with a preposition to make her point, who knows what else she is capable of.

Pozzo

Gold

Post by Pozzo » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:37 pm

pretzeltime wrote:Navy's mention of snuggies was permitted because it accompanied some admissions knowledge

Mentions and/or celebrations of snuggies in and of themselves must be taken to the admits thread, or you will have pretzel to answer to. And if she doesn't hesitate to end a sentence with a preposition to make her point, who knows what else she is capable of.
And now everyone at the conference table is staring at me, wondering what I'm laughing about.

AndromedaGalaxy

New

Post by AndromedaGalaxy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:38 pm

pretzeltime wrote:Navy's mention of snuggies was permitted because it accompanied some admissions knowledge

You're a hero.

pretzeltime

Gold

Post by pretzeltime » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:00 pm

:lol: <3 :lol:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”