Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Keynes
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:10 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby Keynes » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:24 pm

mtf612 wrote:
Keynes wrote:After sending a competing offer last week, got an email yesterday asking for a time to talk on the phone with financial aid. Any insight on what I should expect?


Did this today. Basically they are looking not to get used to negotiate with other schools. First we talked about what I liked about Penn and how serious I was about those other schools. They then asked what type of offer I'm looking for, we deliberated, agreed on a number, and then I was sent a revised scholarship agreement which I needed to sign and return within just a couple of hours.

So unless I hear from HCCN eventually, I'll see y'all at Penn :)


Thanks! PM'd

musiclover123
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:53 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby musiclover123 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:38 pm

Keynes wrote:
mtf612 wrote:
Keynes wrote:After sending a competing offer last week, got an email yesterday asking for a time to talk on the phone with financial aid. Any insight on what I should expect?


Did this today. Basically they are looking not to get used to negotiate with other schools. First we talked about what I liked about Penn and how serious I was about those other schools. They then asked what type of offer I'm looking for, we deliberated, agreed on a number, and then I was sent a revised scholarship agreement which I needed to sign and return within just a couple of hours.

So unless I hear from HCCN eventually, I'll see y'all at Penn :)


Thanks! PM'd


Based on my experience, they're super willing to work with people if you want to go there!!

User avatar
notsonotorious
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:43 am

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby notsonotorious » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:54 am

Hi ya'll. Checking in. Got in last week, the day after submitting my NYU deposit. Was all but ready to brush it off but went down to visit and actually kind of loved it. Applied for the Toll Scholarship. Haven't heard anything else scholarship-wise. Given the deadline to respond on Monday, does anyone have any insight on if/when I might see something from them? Should I pre-emptively send my NYU scholarship letter before I hear anything from them? Also, how is it that last week of April I still don't know where I'm going? :shock:

blahblah123
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:00 am

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby blahblah123 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:04 am

notsonotorious wrote:Hi ya'll. Checking in. Got in last week, the day after submitting my NYU deposit. Was all but ready to brush it off but went down to visit and actually kind of loved it. Applied for the Toll Scholarship. Haven't heard anything else scholarship-wise. Given the deadline to respond on Monday, does anyone have any insight on if/when I might see something from them? Should I pre-emptively send my NYU scholarship letter before I hear anything from them? Also, how is it that last week of April I still don't know where I'm going? :shock:


Based on my own experience, I would suggest that you do e-mail Penn and let them know what scholarship you have from NYU and mention that you would appreciate hearing back from Penn on any scholarship opportunities prior to the deadline since you are interested in attending if it makes sense.

elocin1223
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:44 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby elocin1223 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:24 pm

I'm assuming there will be one last wave this week since decisions have to come out by May 1? Still waiting over here..

jonofalltrades
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:13 am

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby jonofalltrades » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:56 am

blahblah123 wrote:
notsonotorious wrote:Hi ya'll. Checking in. Got in last week, the day after submitting my NYU deposit. Was all but ready to brush it off but went down to visit and actually kind of loved it. Applied for the Toll Scholarship. Haven't heard anything else scholarship-wise. Given the deadline to respond on Monday, does anyone have any insight on if/when I might see something from them? Should I pre-emptively send my NYU scholarship letter before I hear anything from them? Also, how is it that last week of April I still don't know where I'm going? :shock:


Based on my own experience, I would suggest that you do e-mail Penn and let them know what scholarship you have from NYU and mention that you would appreciate hearing back from Penn on any scholarship opportunities prior to the deadline since you are interested in attending if it makes sense.


+1

trevian39
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:03 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby trevian39 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:33 pm

Has anyone else still not heard even the initial scholarship offer? I got in 2/23 and I'm starting to get pretty anxious about these upcoming deadlines...... :shock:

JustWannaGraduate
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:05 am

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby JustWannaGraduate » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:33 pm

:D
Last edited by JustWannaGraduate on Mon May 01, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi-So - ArshavinFan
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:51 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:58 pm

Rejected today - I'll guess I'll never know what the feeling of an Ivy league degree feels like lol.

Good luck to everybody else who in, WL, or still waiting!

User avatar
Mr_Chukes
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby Mr_Chukes » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:45 pm

Anyone else get an email about the Waitlist and how they will make decisions?

lsa16
Posts: 238
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:04 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby lsa16 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:43 am

Is there still no class of 2020 group? Also is anyone else having trouble with the financial aid site?

JustWannaGraduate
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:05 am

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby JustWannaGraduate » Mon May 01, 2017 4:25 pm

For those who aren't on the WL thread, I just got a feeler call off the waitlist from Penn. I'll respond to PMs about specific stats etc

Mackgal
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:13 am

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby Mackgal » Tue May 02, 2017 4:48 pm

notsonotorious wrote:Hi ya'll. Checking in. Got in last week, the day after submitting my NYU deposit. Was all but ready to brush it off but went down to visit and actually kind of loved it. Applied for the Toll Scholarship. Haven't heard anything else scholarship-wise. Given the deadline to respond on Monday, does anyone have any insight on if/when I might see something from them? Should I pre-emptively send my NYU scholarship letter before I hear anything from them? Also, how is it that last week of April I still don't know where I'm going? :shock:


I would email / call the financial aid department (that's what I did to get a rushed decision). They're very willing to work with you so telling them you have a deadline, indicating what scholarships you currently have and what you would like to receive from Penn is something they can most likely discuss over the phone. I know they give out a limited number of Toll scholarships - not sure if they've all been given out or not.

Additionally, Penn gives fairly decent Deans Scholarships (up to $60,000 for merit) and need based aid grants that vary in price according to your shown need.

Mackgal
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:13 am

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby Mackgal » Tue May 02, 2017 4:49 pm

lsa16 wrote:Is there still no class of 2020 group? Also is anyone else having trouble with the financial aid site?


If you mean a Facebook group there is one / has been one for a few months at least now

camjdavis
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby camjdavis » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:28 pm

Anyone get dropped from the waitlist in the last couple days? Wondering if Penn tried to pare it down a little before this last waitlist update.

User avatar
34iplaw
Posts: 3379
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 2:55 am

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby 34iplaw » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:20 pm

camjdavis wrote:Anyone get dropped from the waitlist in the last couple days? Wondering if Penn tried to pare it down a little before this last waitlist update.

During my meeting, they seemed to indicate that everyone remaining on the WL is someone they would be comfortable with accepting. It's a matter of who drops and such. I know some people who were dropped shortly before my meeting. That said, I wouldn't necessarily accept that as fact.

symphonyy
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:04 am

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby symphonyy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:02 am

is it totally impossible to receive merit-aid if accepted offthe waitlist? im an international student and therefore may not be eligible for need-based aid..
Last edited by symphonyy on Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shangrilala
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:15 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby Shangrilala » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:36 am

34iplaw wrote:
camjdavis wrote:Anyone get dropped from the waitlist in the last couple days? Wondering if Penn tried to pare it down a little before this last waitlist update.

During my meeting, they seemed to indicate that everyone remaining on the WL is someone they would be comfortable with accepting. It's a matter of who drops and such. I know some people who were dropped shortly before my meeting. That said, I wouldn't necessarily accept that as fact.


sorry if I misunderstand what you say but does this mean there are not too many people on the waitlist? like hundreds...

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:23 am

symphonyy wrote:is it totally impossible to receive merit-aid if accepted of the waitlist? im an international student and therefore may not be eligiable for need-based aid..


In my meeting with Randi, I was told there is no merit aid left. Need-based only.

User avatar
34iplaw
Posts: 3379
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 2:55 am

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby 34iplaw » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:44 am

Shangrilala wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
camjdavis wrote:Anyone get dropped from the waitlist in the last couple days? Wondering if Penn tried to pare it down a little before this last waitlist update.

During my meeting, they seemed to indicate that everyone remaining on the WL is someone they would be comfortable with accepting. It's a matter of who drops and such. I know some people who were dropped shortly before my meeting. That said, I wouldn't necessarily accept that as fact.


sorry if I misunderstand what you say but does this mean there are not too many people on the waitlist? like hundreds...


I mean it could mean there are ten people who are people they would be comfortable accepting. It could be hundreds. It could be a quarter of those who applied. I really have no idea how many it meant. It just seemed to indicate that they had dropped people that had no shot of getting in, I suppose? I dunno. Don't read into it too much.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CarpeDiem17, Google [Bot], spongebob, SusanSays, Timofey_Pnin, twtwtwtw and 10 guests