Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
acz26

Bronze

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Post by acz26 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:19 pm

MAPP wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
acz26 wrote:checking in/what do you guys think of waiting for a fee waiver since Penn won't retroactively refund you if you apply early...anyone have any clue about who gets fee waivers stats wise?
If you have stats at/above the 25ths you'll prob get one.
Is this the way it typically goes for all the schools? And by "apply early" are we saying start the application on lsac or have it completed and submitted?

apply early as in applying early in the cycle...so I guess that'd mean submitting it via LSAC, which is when you pay. And NYU refunded me, so I think it's school-dependent.

zeglo

Silver

Post by zeglo » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:18 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:34 pm

Is this the prompt that people are addressing when writing their Why Penn?

"These are the core strengths that make Penn Law the best place to receive a rigorous and engaging legal education: genuine integration with associated disciplines; transformative, forward-looking faculty scholarship; highly-regarded experiential learning through urban clinics and our pro bono pledge; innovative, hands-on global engagement; and a manifest commitment to professional development and collegiality. These qualities define Penn Law. What defines you? How do your goals and values match Penn Law’s core strengths?"

zeglo

Silver

Post by zeglo » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:51 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:28 pm

zeglo wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:Is this the prompt that people are addressing when writing their Why Penn?

"These are the core strengths that make Penn Law the best place to receive a rigorous and engaging legal education: genuine integration with associated disciplines; transformative, forward-looking faculty scholarship; highly-regarded experiential learning through urban clinics and our pro bono pledge; innovative, hands-on global engagement; and a manifest commitment to professional development and collegiality. These qualities define Penn Law. What defines you? How do your goals and values match Penn Law’s core strengths?"
Duh
That was rude

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zeglo

Silver

Post by zeglo » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:28 am

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:46 pm

Is writing the optional essay important? I wrote a "why penn" and attached it to additional addenda. Started working on the "team player" topic, but I think it almost hurts my application actually....

potterotter

Bronze

Post by potterotter » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:02 pm

---
Last edited by potterotter on Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:59 pm

RamTitan wrote:Is writing the optional essay important? I wrote a "why penn" and attached it to additional addenda. Started working on the "team player" topic, but I think it almost hurts my application actually....
Bump on this

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KatCoco

New

Post by KatCoco » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:55 pm

RamTitan wrote:Is writing the optional essay important? I wrote a "why penn" and attached it to additional addenda. Started working on the "team player" topic, but I think it almost hurts my application actually....
Well if it's going to hurt your application, then don't include it... And you did already write one of the optional essays, right? There's a why penn prompt offered.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:48 am

KatCoco wrote:
Well if it's going to hurt your application, then don't include it... And you did already write one of the optional essays, right? There's a why penn prompt offered.
Naw, there's not. There's four different ones:

1. Diversity
2. How do your values match ours
3. Describe a time when you were a part of a team
4. Explain if your academic record/test doesn't reflect your abilities

pretzeltime

Gold

Post by pretzeltime » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:50 am

RamTitan wrote:
KatCoco wrote:

1. Diversity
#2 is Why Penn. They just didn't literally say

2. Why Penn?

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:06 am

pretzeltime wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
KatCoco wrote:

1. Diversity

2. Why Penn?
It's still a different essay that "why penn though". I can't say I like your geographic placement for #2 lmao

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pretzeltime

Gold

Post by pretzeltime » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:10 am

RamTitan wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
KatCoco wrote:

1. Diversity

2. Why Penn?
It's still a different essay that "why penn though". I can't say I like your geographic placement for #2 lmao
I mean the question covers literally everything except geographical location.

I think you're fine having written an extra "why penn" essay and wouldn't need to write another one of the optional ones. Especially if you think it would hurt your application??

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:14 am

pretzeltime wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
KatCoco wrote:

1. Diversity

2. Why Penn?
I mean the question covers literally everything except geographical location.

I think you're fine having written an extra "why penn" essay and wouldn't need to write another one of the optional ones. Especially if you think it would hurt your application??
I think I'm going to go that route. But I might rephrase it a bit so that why adcomm doesn't think I'm an illiterate idiot for not specifically writing the second essay lol

R. Jeeves

Gold

Post by R. Jeeves » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:52 am

is your why penn entirely (or mainly) about geographic location? for #2 you could prob have a paragraph that talks about location even though its not explicilty mentioned in the prompt as long as other parts of the essay talk about their programs and whatever else. i dont think an adcomm would object to that as being out of scope

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:03 pm

R. Jeeves wrote:is your why penn entirely (or mainly) about geographic location? for #2 you could prob have a paragraph that talks about location even though its not explicilty mentioned in the prompt as long as other parts of the essay talk about their programs and whatever else. i dont think an adcomm would object to that as being out of scope
The more I think about it, the more silly I feel for even raising the issue in the first place. I wrote about their geographic placement, their emphasis on a collegial student environment, small class size, and diversity of clinical opportunities.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

R. Jeeves

Gold

Post by R. Jeeves » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:11 pm

RamTitan wrote:
R. Jeeves wrote:is your why penn entirely (or mainly) about geographic location? for #2 you could prob have a paragraph that talks about location even though its not explicilty mentioned in the prompt as long as other parts of the essay talk about their programs and whatever else. i dont think an adcomm would object to that as being out of scope
The more I think about it, the more silly I feel for even raising the issue in the first place. I wrote about their geographic placement, their emphasis on a collegial student environment, small class size, and diversity of clinical opportunities.
yeah dude i would just put it under #2 then

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:03 pm

R. Jeeves wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
Will do; probably just need to reword the first paragraph and I'll be good

NorthDragon

New

Post by NorthDragon » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:20 am

RamTitan wrote:
R. Jeeves wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
Do we need to potentially personalize the essay? Say, raise some personal reason why I want to go to Penn? Like I have worked with some Penn Law professor or what not?

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:02 am

NorthDragon wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
R. Jeeves wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
Do we need to potentially personalize the essay? Say, raise some personal reason why I want to go to Penn? Like I have worked with some Penn Law professor or what not?
Just mention the reasons why you want to attend. In Penn's case, it more about what principles the school values rather than personal reasons (like geographic placement or working with a Penn Law professor, etc.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:47 pm

For my values essay, do they want us to like specifically say what defines us? I pretty much organized mine as follows:

career goal, how penn's strength furthers this
public interest goal, how penn's strenght futhers this

I never explicitly say what "defines me" i took it as a given that the goals and values they discuss are what defines us?

DoYouEvenTLS

Bronze

Post by DoYouEvenTLS » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:11 pm

Going to apply to Penn. Chances are (very) slim to none, but got an email for a fee waiver. Anybody know why I might've received one? My LSAT isn't anywhere near Penn's median but I have their median GPA.

Now to figure out which optional essay to complete :lol:

NorthDragon

New

Post by NorthDragon » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:47 pm

Keilz wrote:For my values essay, do they want us to like specifically say what defines us? I pretty much organized mine as follows:

career goal, how penn's strength furthers this
public interest goal, how penn's strenght futhers this

I never explicitly say what "defines me" i took it as a given that the goals and values they discuss are what defines us?
Yeah that's what I said.

NorthDragon

New

Post by NorthDragon » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:57 pm

Quick question: for NYU, do we need to write a detailed description of our college and post-college activities as the Yale app requires? thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”