Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
prepies04

New

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Post by prepies04 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:44 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:Did anybody else apply for Wilson and hear nothing?
was there a separate application? i thought all admits were considered for merit scholarships

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:49 pm

prepies04 wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:Did anybody else apply for Wilson and hear nothing?
was there a separate application? i thought all admits were considered for merit scholarships
They are but some (Levy, Wilson, SR) people are invited to apply for those specifically.

lsa16

Bronze

Post by lsa16 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:58 pm

Mr. Meeseeks wrote:
pizzagoblin wrote:
theothercat wrote:Just got notification that I was eligible for a need-based Law Grant. Freaked me out at first because the number was lower than I expected, but then I noticed the e-mail says, "This determination does not include an evaluation for merit scholarships."

Still waiting on any word on Levy.
Also got one! Do we know when non-named merit awards are being released?
+1 to this. Hopefully there is more $$ to come
This seems like a weird way for them to do it considering if you end up with the Levy I would imagine they then would have to retract the need-based money?

dddddd90

Bronze

Post by dddddd90 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:48 pm

The financial aid email I got told me to check the ASW for info re: "our matching scholarship policy," but I couldn't find anything. Noble TLSers, what exactly is Penn's matching scholarship policy?

theothercat

Bronze

Post by theothercat » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:28 pm

Just got the Levy alternate e-mail. Meh, but okay.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

theothercat

Bronze

Post by theothercat » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:51 pm

dddddd90 wrote:The financial aid email I got told me to check the ASW for info re: "our matching scholarship policy," but I couldn't find anything. Noble TLSers, what exactly is Penn's matching scholarship policy?
I got that e-mail too, and then I just got another e-mail with the following phrase in it: "While Penn Law does not have a matching policy..."

Penn. Why. No.

dddddd90

Bronze

Post by dddddd90 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:00 pm

theothercat wrote:
dddddd90 wrote:The financial aid email I got told me to check the ASW for info re: "our matching scholarship policy," but I couldn't find anything. Noble TLSers, what exactly is Penn's matching scholarship policy?
I got that e-mail too, and then I just got another e-mail with the following phrase in it: "While Penn Law does not have a matching policy..."

Penn. Why. No.
Didn't get it yet. What does the rest say?

dddddd90

Bronze

Post by dddddd90 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:02 pm

theothercat wrote:Just got the Levy alternate e-mail. Meh, but okay.
I'm sorry!

lsa16

Bronze

Post by lsa16 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:56 pm

theothercat wrote:

Penn. Why. No.
I called admissions way back after I was first admitted but already had a significant scholarship offer from another school - I had read somewhere in the acceptance materials that they were willing to at least take into account offers from other schools, so I asked if they wanted that information upfront or if I should wait for my initial award first, and was told to send it over. Reply said "Although we do not have a matching policy, we do consider financial aid packages from peer schools to be relevant information."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Evelyn2016

New

Post by Evelyn2016 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:10 am

Just wondering how long did it take for everyone's application (for admission not financial aid) to become complete? Actually 4 weeks?

SUNY1995

New

Post by SUNY1995 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:20 pm

When do you guys think Penn is going to have their next wave of decisions? I went UR2 3/13, and am anxiously awaiting a decision, so I can finish this cycle and pick a school!

tartan2016

New

Post by tartan2016 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:57 pm

SUNY1995 wrote:When do you guys think Penn is going to have their next wave of decisions? I went UR2 3/13, and am anxiously awaiting a decision, so I can finish this cycle and pick a school!
+1. UR2 3/6. Last cycle I am pretty sure they had a wave in the second week of march, but they didn't this cycle so not sure whats taking so long.

JDrat

Bronze

Post by JDrat » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:13 pm

Do all applications go to UR2? Mine has been stuck on 2/7 since...2/7! I see a lot of people have had March movement to UR2. Should I be worried that they've lost my application?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mtf612

Bronze

Post by mtf612 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:01 pm

IN VIA VOICEMAIL !

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:04 pm

JDrat wrote:Do all applications go to UR2? Mine has been stuck on 2/7 since...2/7! I see a lot of people have had March movement to UR2. Should I be worried that they've lost my application?
I just had a date change to today, and I was previously stuck at 2/7 for a while...hopefully you'll see some movement soon!

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:24 pm

floatie wrote:
JDrat wrote:Do all applications go to UR2? Mine has been stuck on 2/7 since...2/7! I see a lot of people have had March movement to UR2. Should I be worried that they've lost my application?
I just had a date change to today, and I was previously stuck at 2/7 for a while...hopefully you'll see some movement soon!
Also went UR2 today! The guy above us that got in has given me some slight hope...

charles117

Bronze

Post by charles117 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:06 pm

woo penn ........ ding

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SaigonGin

New

Post by SaigonGin » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:10 pm

Just W/L by email. Will be withdrawing. Good luck to all remaining waiters!

smilingorch

New

Post by smilingorch » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:50 pm

SaigonGin wrote:Just W/L by email. Will be withdrawing. Good luck to all remaining waiters!
Same here. Good luck everyone who is waiting it out! :wink: you'll have one less person crowding the waitlist

23Allen

New

Post by 23Allen » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:59 pm

In via phone call about an hour and a half ago!!! GPa > 75th, 25th < LSAT < 50th. Wrote a really serious Why Penn, and I'm the third in my family to go to Penn for grad school (though I'm not sure how much it matters if they didn't go to the law school)

Super excited because this is my top!

capnobvious123

New

Post by capnobvious123 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:09 pm

Rejected via email today, unsurprised but still pretty sad. Wrote in a job update and optional essay a week ago, they confirmed it was moved into my file for review, and I guess it didn't help a whole lot.

I'm having trouble finding info on transferring to penn, can anyone either provide info or link me to a thread? Search function is killing me. I'm curious how difficult it is to get in as a transfer from various schools. Got in to some low T14 and some T20, wanted to know about Penn's acceptance rate on transfers. Really had my heart set here, despite my numbers being too far off.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dbalkaran

Silver

Post by dbalkaran » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:36 pm

Dinged good luck to everyone else.

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:09 pm

capnobvious123 wrote:Rejected via email today, unsurprised but still pretty sad. Wrote in a job update and optional essay a week ago, they confirmed it was moved into my file for review, and I guess it didn't help a whole lot.

I'm having trouble finding info on transferring to penn, can anyone either provide info or link me to a thread? Search function is killing me. I'm curious how difficult it is to get in as a transfer from various schools. Got in to some low T14 and some T20, wanted to know about Penn's acceptance rate on transfers. Really had my heart set here, despite my numbers being too far off.
In general, top half is good enough to transfer to a peer school, so maybe top third at a lower T14 would get you there.

capnobvious123

New

Post by capnobvious123 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:26 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:
capnobvious123 wrote:Rejected via email today, unsurprised but still pretty sad. Wrote in a job update and optional essay a week ago, they confirmed it was moved into my file for review, and I guess it didn't help a whole lot.

In general, top half is good enough to transfer to a peer school, so maybe top third at a lower T14 would get you there.
Thanks! Do you happen to be familiar with any sources or places where I might read up on this? I found some interviews w/ former Penn adcoms and things about transferring, but I was hoping for maybe some data on acceptance rates and such.

baseballfan660

Bronze

Post by baseballfan660 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:31 pm

capnobvious123 wrote:
goldenbear2020 wrote:

Thanks! Do you happen to be familiar with any sources or places where I might read up on this? I found some interviews w/ former Penn adcoms and things about transferring, but I was hoping for maybe some data on acceptance rates and such.
just so you are aware when you transfer you have to pay sticker at the new school, so if you cannot afford two years of Penn at full price, that is something you know up front.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”