Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
musiclover123

New

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Post by musiclover123 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:38 pm

Keynes wrote:
mtf612 wrote:
Keynes wrote:After sending a competing offer last week, got an email yesterday asking for a time to talk on the phone with financial aid. Any insight on what I should expect?
Did this today. Basically they are looking not to get used to negotiate with other schools. First we talked about what I liked about Penn and how serious I was about those other schools. They then asked what type of offer I'm looking for, we deliberated, agreed on a number, and then I was sent a revised scholarship agreement which I needed to sign and return within just a couple of hours.

So unless I hear from HCCN eventually, I'll see y'all at Penn :)
Thanks! PM'd
Based on my experience, they're super willing to work with people if you want to go there!!

notsonotorious

Bronze

Post by notsonotorious » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:54 am

Hi ya'll. Checking in. Got in last week, the day after submitting my NYU deposit. Was all but ready to brush it off but went down to visit and actually kind of loved it. Applied for the Toll Scholarship. Haven't heard anything else scholarship-wise. Given the deadline to respond on Monday, does anyone have any insight on if/when I might see something from them? Should I pre-emptively send my NYU scholarship letter before I hear anything from them? Also, how is it that last week of April I still don't know where I'm going? :shock:

blahblah123

New

Post by blahblah123 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:04 am

notsonotorious wrote:Hi ya'll. Checking in. Got in last week, the day after submitting my NYU deposit. Was all but ready to brush it off but went down to visit and actually kind of loved it. Applied for the Toll Scholarship. Haven't heard anything else scholarship-wise. Given the deadline to respond on Monday, does anyone have any insight on if/when I might see something from them? Should I pre-emptively send my NYU scholarship letter before I hear anything from them? Also, how is it that last week of April I still don't know where I'm going? :shock:
Based on my own experience, I would suggest that you do e-mail Penn and let them know what scholarship you have from NYU and mention that you would appreciate hearing back from Penn on any scholarship opportunities prior to the deadline since you are interested in attending if it makes sense.

elocin1223

New

Post by elocin1223 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:24 pm

I'm assuming there will be one last wave this week since decisions have to come out by May 1? Still waiting over here..

jonofalltrades

New

Post by jonofalltrades » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:56 am

blahblah123 wrote:
notsonotorious wrote:Hi ya'll. Checking in. Got in last week, the day after submitting my NYU deposit. Was all but ready to brush it off but went down to visit and actually kind of loved it. Applied for the Toll Scholarship. Haven't heard anything else scholarship-wise. Given the deadline to respond on Monday, does anyone have any insight on if/when I might see something from them? Should I pre-emptively send my NYU scholarship letter before I hear anything from them? Also, how is it that last week of April I still don't know where I'm going? :shock:
Based on my own experience, I would suggest that you do e-mail Penn and let them know what scholarship you have from NYU and mention that you would appreciate hearing back from Penn on any scholarship opportunities prior to the deadline since you are interested in attending if it makes sense.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

trevian39

New

Post by trevian39 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:33 pm

Has anyone else still not heard even the initial scholarship offer? I got in 2/23 and I'm starting to get pretty anxious about these upcoming deadlines...... :shock:

JustWannaGraduate

New

Post by JustWannaGraduate » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:33 pm

:D
Last edited by JustWannaGraduate on Mon May 01, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:58 pm

Rejected today - I'll guess I'll never know what the feeling of an Ivy league degree feels like lol.

Good luck to everybody else who in, WL, or still waiting!

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:45 pm

Anyone else get an email about the Waitlist and how they will make decisions?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lsa16

Bronze

Post by lsa16 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:43 am

Is there still no class of 2020 group? Also is anyone else having trouble with the financial aid site?

JustWannaGraduate

New

Post by JustWannaGraduate » Mon May 01, 2017 4:25 pm

For those who aren't on the WL thread, I just got a feeler call off the waitlist from Penn. I'll respond to PMs about specific stats etc

Mackgal

Bronze

Post by Mackgal » Tue May 02, 2017 4:48 pm

I would email / call the financial aid department (that's what I did to get a rushed decision). They're very willing to work with you so telling them you have a deadline, indicating what scholarships you currently have and what you would like to receive from Penn is something they can most likely discuss over the phone. I know they give out a limited number of Toll scholarships - not sure if they've all been given out or not.

Additionally, Penn gives fairly decent Deans Scholarships (up to $60,000 for merit) and need based aid grants that vary in price according to your shown need.

Mackgal

Bronze

Post by Mackgal » Tue May 02, 2017 4:49 pm

lsa16 wrote:Is there still no class of 2020 group? Also is anyone else having trouble with the financial aid site?
If you mean a Facebook group there is one / has been one for a few months at least now

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

camjdavis

New

Post by camjdavis » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:28 pm

Anyone get dropped from the waitlist in the last couple days? Wondering if Penn tried to pare it down a little before this last waitlist update.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:20 pm

camjdavis wrote:Anyone get dropped from the waitlist in the last couple days? Wondering if Penn tried to pare it down a little before this last waitlist update.
During my meeting, they seemed to indicate that everyone remaining on the WL is someone they would be comfortable with accepting. It's a matter of who drops and such. I know some people who were dropped shortly before my meeting. That said, I wouldn't necessarily accept that as fact.

symphonyy

New

Post by symphonyy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:02 am

is it totally impossible to receive merit-aid if accepted offthe waitlist? im an international student and therefore may not be eligible for need-based aid..
Last edited by symphonyy on Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shangrilala

New

Post by Shangrilala » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:36 am

34iplaw wrote:
camjdavis wrote:Anyone get dropped from the waitlist in the last couple days? Wondering if Penn tried to pare it down a little before this last waitlist update.
During my meeting, they seemed to indicate that everyone remaining on the WL is someone they would be comfortable with accepting. It's a matter of who drops and such. I know some people who were dropped shortly before my meeting. That said, I wouldn't necessarily accept that as fact.
sorry if I misunderstand what you say but does this mean there are not too many people on the waitlist? like hundreds...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:23 am

symphonyy wrote:is it totally impossible to receive merit-aid if accepted of the waitlist? im an international student and therefore may not be eligiable for need-based aid..
In my meeting with Randi, I was told there is no merit aid left. Need-based only.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:44 am

Shangrilala wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
sorry if I misunderstand what you say but does this mean there are not too many people on the waitlist? like hundreds...
I mean it could mean there are ten people who are people they would be comfortable accepting. It could be hundreds. It could be a quarter of those who applied. I really have no idea how many it meant. It just seemed to indicate that they had dropped people that had no shot of getting in, I suppose? I dunno. Don't read into it too much.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”