Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
theothercat

Bronze

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Post by theothercat » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:29 am

Just sent a scholly negotiation e-mail to Penn! It's my first attempt at negotiation. Very anxious to see how they respond.

meeseeks

Silver

Post by meeseeks » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:12 pm

Really loved Penn this weekend and I'm pretty much dead set on attending pending finances.

I've received my need portion but nothing on the merit side. I spoke with the Fin-Aid office briefly they said they were meeting this week and still had about 40% of the applications to go through. I'm unsure whether I should sit tight and see what they come back with or let them know what Michigan is giving me beforehand.

What do you guys thing?

I feel like if I tell them what Michigan is giving me, then it is unlikely I will get any more than that. On the other hand, I have a concern that if I wait too long, they might not have much money left to distribute

StopLawying

Silver

Post by StopLawying » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:15 pm

Mr. Meeseeks wrote:Really loved Penn this weekend and I'm pretty much dead set on attending pending finances.

I've received my need portion but nothing on the merit side. I spoke with the Fin-Aid office briefly they said they were meeting this week and still had about 40% of the applications to go through. I'm unsure whether I should sit tight and see what they come back with or let them know what Michigan is giving me beforehand.

What do you guys thing?

I feel like if I tell them what Michigan is giving me, then it is unlikely I will get any more than that. On the other hand, I have a concern that if I wait too long, they might not have much money left to distribute
Personally, I'd wait.

Blue664

New

Post by Blue664 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:28 pm

Mr. Meeseeks wrote:Really loved Penn this weekend and I'm pretty much dead set on attending pending finances.

What do you guys thing?

Based on last year's thread, it seems like they really do send out initial scholarship information through late April, so personally I was thinking of sending in competing offer information upfront to avoid a really stressful scramble as things get close to deadlines. I guess it also depends whether you think it is likely their initial offer could beat Michigan's, maybe based on something like mylsn?

pizzagoblin

Bronze

Post by pizzagoblin » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:34 pm

Just turned down my seat, freeing up some $$ for the rest of you. Best of luck to those on the WL!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

meeseeks

Silver

Post by meeseeks » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:53 am

Blue664 wrote:

What do you guys thing?

Based on last year's thread, it seems like they really do send out initial scholarship information through late April, so personally I was thinking of sending in competing offer information upfront to avoid a really stressful scramble as things get close to deadlines. I guess it also depends whether you think it is likely their initial offer could beat Michigan's, maybe based on something like mylsn?
I think I'll give it to the end of the week and then give them a call. I believe the named schollys have a April 15th deadline so I'm sure some money will be freed up after that but I don't think I can wait that long

Mackgal

Bronze

Post by Mackgal » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:04 am

Also waiting on scholarship money before I make my decision. I'm assuming that the 40% they're going through this week doesn't include any Levy Scholarships (those have all been given out right?)

Do you we know the average amount a person gets in $$ who is 25th-median LSAT and 75th GPA ?

StopLawying

Silver

Post by StopLawying » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:13 pm

Mackgal wrote:Also waiting on scholarship money before I make my decision. I'm assuming that the 40% they're going through this week doesn't include any Levy Scholarships (those have all been given out right?)

Do you we know the average amount a person gets in $$ who is 25th-median LSAT and 75th GPA ?
Sry, but you won't be getting anything in merit aid.

Mackgal

Bronze

Post by Mackgal » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:49 pm

StopLawying wrote:
Mackgal wrote:Also waiting on scholarship money before I make my decision. I'm assuming that the 40% they're going through this week doesn't include any Levy Scholarships (those have all been given out right?)

I've already got some from them I'm just waiting on any additional that they might be giving

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jonofalltrades

New

Post by jonofalltrades » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:27 pm

StopLawying wrote:

Have faith, man! Splitters can get love...

StopLawying

Silver

Post by StopLawying » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:34 pm

Mackgal wrote:
StopLawying wrote:

I've already got some from them I'm just waiting on any additional that they might be giving
My bad, thought you have to be above both medians to get something from Penn.

23Allen

New

Post by 23Allen » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:41 pm

Mackgal wrote:
StopLawying wrote:

What was your initial offer, if you're comfortable sharing? My stats are the same as yours, and I haven't heard anything yet (I was just accepted two weeks ago after having them hold for my February LSAT), so I'm curious to know what I might expect.

Mackgal

Bronze

Post by Mackgal » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:29 pm

23Allen wrote:
Mackgal wrote:
StopLawying wrote:

What was your initial offer, if you're comfortable sharing? My stats are the same as yours, and I haven't heard anything yet (I was just accepted two weeks ago after having them hold for my February LSAT), so I'm curious to know what I might expect.
I got $20,000 but it was a scholarship specifically for Native American students (pretty much every law school has one but normally don't list them because there's not a lot of Aboriginal students who apply to law school). I don't know if my stats played a role in it although I'm assuming they must have because it's unlikely I'm the only Native student applying

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

23Allen

New

Post by 23Allen » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:45 pm

Mackgal wrote:
23Allen wrote:
Mackgal wrote:
StopLawying wrote:

I got $20,000 but it was a scholarship specifically for Native American students (pretty much every law school has one but normally don't list them because there's not a lot of Aboriginal students who apply to law school). I don't know if my stats played a role in it although I'm assuming they must have because it's unlikely I'm the only Native student applying
Got it, thanks! Good luck, I hope you get a bigger offer!

fbc669

New

Post by fbc669 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:42 pm

Someone just posted on reddit that they were admitted. And it looks like someone else (maybe same person) updated LSN with an acceptance today. Has anyone else heard back today?

drjekyllope

New

Post by drjekyllope » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:13 pm

fbc669 wrote:Someone just posted on reddit that they were admitted. And it looks like someone else (maybe same person) updated LSN with an acceptance today. Has anyone else heard back today?
My status checker just changed, updated to today (4/5)! Will now be staring at my phone until my eyes bleed.

Nightwing

Bronze

Post by Nightwing » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:17 pm

waitlisted, yay

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

The_Gavel

New

Post by The_Gavel » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:18 pm

Waitlisted via status checker after going UR2 7 days ago :(

intlbr

Bronze

Post by intlbr » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:25 pm

alexp wrote:Waitlisted via status checker after going UR2 7 days ago :(
Sorry about the wl ... if you don't mind me asking, when did you go complete? Thanks

The_Gavel

New

Post by The_Gavel » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:38 pm

Last edited by The_Gavel on Wed May 24, 2017 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fbc669

New

Post by fbc669 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:17 pm

v
Last edited by fbc669 on Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

urmal171

New

Post by urmal171 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:32 pm

w a i t l i s t e d

The_Gavel

New

Post by The_Gavel » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:42 pm

So does anyone know how many people typically comprise the waitlist? I'm assuming the chances of getting off are very low.

McMooch

New

Post by McMooch » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:18 pm

WL @ > both 75ths.

Why???

BrittanyJeream

Bronze

Post by BrittanyJeream » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:52 pm

StopLawying wrote:

ehhhhhhh I wouldn't be so sure. I'm 25th percentile GPA and 50th LSAT and they threw me $30k in merit.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”