Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
NorthDragon
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:25 am

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby NorthDragon » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:03 pm

NorthDragon wrote:Quick question: for NYU, do we need to write a detailed description of our college and post-college activities as the Yale app requires? thanks!

I meant Penn, I cannot check because I have already submitted my app

StopLawying
Posts: 646
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:23 am

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby StopLawying » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:20 pm

You guys think I have any chance at Penn? Reverse splitter here. 164, 4.0+ gpa
Pls don't quote

User avatar
zeglo
Posts: 697
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby zeglo » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:35 pm

No.

curry1
Posts: 866
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 11:41 am

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby curry1 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:56 pm

Yes, you have a decent chance.
http://mylsn.info/vgdy0f/

User avatar
proteinshake
Posts: 4396
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby proteinshake » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:09 am

you will at least (and most likely) get a WL, but I think most people who get in as reverse splitters probably ED'd? not sure but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. or they are URMs.

20171lhopeful
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby 20171lhopeful » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:37 pm

Does it matter if I put my reasons for wanting to attend Penn in my PS instead of answering optional question #2? I think it flows more with the rest of my PS and I don't want to be redundant. Plus I don't have a page's worth of reasons. I have a paragraph max of good reasons. I think adding anything more would be fluff. I just don't want it to to count against me that I didn't do the optional response explicitly...

notnecessarilyproper
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:25 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby notnecessarilyproper » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:13 pm

Penn offers multiple optional responses, so to show your interest you might want to choose one of the other topics.

User avatar
studyingeveryday
Posts: 545
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:19 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby studyingeveryday » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:15 pm

20171lhopeful wrote:Does it matter if I put my reasons for wanting to attend Penn in my PS instead of answering optional question #2? I think it flows more with the rest of my PS and I don't want to be redundant. Plus I don't have a page's worth of reasons. I have a paragraph max of good reasons. I think adding anything more would be fluff. I just don't want it to to count against me that I didn't do the optional response explicitly...


I think you're on the right track, if you are positive you have nothing else to add, then don't write the same thing over again in the essay. Also, if you looked up resources, courses, clinics, etc. you're interested in and wrote about them in your PS, and you don't mean that you just wrote about personal reasons for wanting to go to Penn, then I think you're fine.

That said, it would help to at least do one of the other optional essays.

20171lhopeful
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby 20171lhopeful » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:20 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:Does it matter if I put my reasons for wanting to attend Penn in my PS instead of answering optional question #2? I think it flows more with the rest of my PS and I don't want to be redundant. Plus I don't have a page's worth of reasons. I have a paragraph max of good reasons. I think adding anything more would be fluff. I just don't want it to to count against me that I didn't do the optional response explicitly...


I think you're on the right track, if you are positive you have nothing else to add, then don't write the same thing over again in the essay. Also, if you looked up resources, courses, clinics, etc. you're interested in and wrote about them in your PS, and you don't mean that you just wrote about personal reasons for wanting to go to Penn, then I think you're fine.

That said, it would help to at least do one of the other optional essays.


Thanks! Yup, I talked about their PI program since it connects to my PS. And I did the DS. I just wasn't sure if they would view me negatively for nor writing a why penn.

poptart123
Posts: 1047
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby poptart123 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:42 am

I had a friend with a slightly worse GPA and lower LSAT get off the WL last year, but he will be paying sticker. You will probably get a WL first.

didnt mean to quote: edit
Last edited by poptart123 on Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
studyingeveryday
Posts: 545
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:19 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby studyingeveryday » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:57 pm

In the core strenghts essay, did anyone actually talk about their own values and how Penn's programs help meet your values as relating to your career goals? Or do most not talk about values and just treat it as a "Why Penn" essay?

User avatar
R. Jeeves
Posts: 1963
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 7:54 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby R. Jeeves » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:27 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:In the core strenghts essay, did anyone actually talk about their own values and how Penn's programs help meet your values as relating to your career goals? Or do most not talk about values and just treat it as a "Why Penn" essay?


the prompt covers everything that a typical why X essay would (except for geographical location - if your essay is entirely about geolocation, you can work something in about one of their programs or their collegial environment or something and it will adequately address the prompt), so yeah treat it like a why Penn.

you dont need to explicitly reference your values if you dont want to, because values is a really broad term. you could value some of their specific programs. you could value their commitment to cross-disciplinary education. pretty much any reason you give as to why Penn is a good fit for you arguably carries an implicit reference to your values. plus it says goals or values. if you talk entirely about how penn would be a good fit for you because of your goals thats fine too.

User avatar
studyingeveryday
Posts: 545
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:19 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby studyingeveryday » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:07 pm

R. Jeeves wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:In the core strenghts essay, did anyone actually talk about their own values and how Penn's programs help meet your values as relating to your career goals? Or do most not talk about values and just treat it as a "Why Penn" essay?


the prompt covers everything that a typical why X essay would (except for geographical location - if your essay is entirely about geolocation, you can work something in about one of their programs or their collegial environment or something and it will adequately address the prompt), so yeah treat it like a why Penn.

you dont need to explicitly reference your values if you dont want to, because values is a really broad term. you could value some of their specific programs. you could value their commitment to cross-disciplinary education. pretty much any reason you give as to why Penn is a good fit for you arguably carries an implicit reference to your values. plus it says goals or values. if you talk entirely about how penn would be a good fit for you because of your goals thats fine too.


thanks for your response!

User avatar
studyingeveryday
Posts: 545
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:19 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby studyingeveryday » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:12 pm

For the undergraduate employment section, did you all include unpaid internships?

poptart123
Posts: 1047
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby poptart123 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:49 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:For the undergraduate employment section, did you all include unpaid internships?


Yes, but I had a 40+ hour per week one.

User avatar
zeglo
Posts: 697
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby zeglo » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:54 pm

I had full-time internships for two summers + full-time corporate work experience since I graduated May 2015. I added up everything on the applications that asked about experience, like Duke.

I did NOT include this in undergraduate employment since they were in the summer when I did not have class. The Penn application is about the academic year.

poptart123
Posts: 1047
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby poptart123 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:43 pm

Yes, to be clear mine was during the academic year as part of a fellowship for credit with evening classes.

User avatar
studyingeveryday
Posts: 545
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:19 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby studyingeveryday » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:59 pm

Thank you both for clearing that up!

User avatar
airwrecka
Posts: 1077
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby airwrecka » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:40 pm

Any idea when they'll start reviewing files? I went complete on 10/7 and am still waiting to go under review...

katthegreat11
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby katthegreat11 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:03 pm

airwrecka wrote:Any idea when they'll start reviewing files? I went complete on 10/7 and am still waiting to go under review...


Status checker says "The Admissions Committee will not start to review files until mid-November. The Admissions Committee is committed to a holistic review of every application." Last year it looks like first acceptances (ED and RD) came out mid-December.

User avatar
TudoBem
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:21 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby TudoBem » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:38 pm

LSAT - 165 GPA 3.62 URM
Penn is my first choice. Just visited this past Monday.

Do you think if I apply ED increases my chance?
Tks!

User avatar
zeglo
Posts: 697
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby zeglo » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:45 pm

TudoBem wrote:LSAT - 165 GPA 3.62 URM
Penn is my first choice. Just visited this past Monday.

Do you think if I apply ED increases my chance?
Tks!


It would, but good luck paying back sticker price.

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett
Posts: 1716
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:15 pm

---
Last edited by SybillAnnDorsett on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TudoBem
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:21 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby TudoBem » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:02 pm

mm2368 wrote:
TudoBem wrote:LSAT - 165 GPA 3.62 URM
Penn is my first choice. Just visited this past Monday.

Do you think if I apply ED increases my chance?
Tks!


don't know that you need to ED, unless you think your softs/the qualitative elements of your app (PS/LOR/extra essays) are weak. but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. it IS your first choice, so why not?

the sticker thing sucks but Penn really just doesn't give as much money to students as some of the other T14. and also.... don't worry so much about paying the sticker price back. Lots of people have loans, it gets taken care of. Not the end of the world.


Thank you! very helpful. :)

Keilz
Posts: 2256
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:35 am

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Keilz » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:48 pm

mm2368 wrote:
TudoBem wrote:LSAT - 165 GPA 3.62 URM
Penn is my first choice. Just visited this past Monday.

Do you think if I apply ED increases my chance?
Tks!


don't know that you need to ED, unless you think your softs/the qualitative elements of your app (PS/LOR/extra essays) are weak. but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. it IS your first choice, so why not?

the sticker thing sucks but Penn really just doesn't give as much money to students as some of the other T14. and also.... don't worry so much about paying the sticker price back. Lots of people have loans, it gets taken care of. Not the end of the world.


This opinion is not the consensus of TLS. Alternatively, Tudo, you can write in the value essay that it's your first choice, might not be as strong as a commitment, but it's telling them




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests