Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
meeseeks
Posts: 513
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:06 am

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby meeseeks » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:27 pm

pizzagoblin wrote:
theothercat wrote:Just got notification that I was eligible for a need-based Law Grant. Freaked me out at first because the number was lower than I expected, but then I noticed the e-mail says, "This determination does not include an evaluation for merit scholarships."

Still waiting on any word on Levy.


Also got one! Do we know when non-named merit awards are being released?


+1 to this. Hopefully there is more $$ to come

prepies04
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:56 am

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby prepies04 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:44 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:Did anybody else apply for Wilson and hear nothing?


was there a separate application? i thought all admits were considered for merit scholarships

Anon.y.mousse.
Posts: 566
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:35 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:49 pm

prepies04 wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:Did anybody else apply for Wilson and hear nothing?


was there a separate application? i thought all admits were considered for merit scholarships


They are but some (Levy, Wilson, SR) people are invited to apply for those specifically.

lsa16
Posts: 238
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:04 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby lsa16 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:58 pm

Mr. Meeseeks wrote:
pizzagoblin wrote:
theothercat wrote:Just got notification that I was eligible for a need-based Law Grant. Freaked me out at first because the number was lower than I expected, but then I noticed the e-mail says, "This determination does not include an evaluation for merit scholarships."

Still waiting on any word on Levy.


Also got one! Do we know when non-named merit awards are being released?


+1 to this. Hopefully there is more $$ to come


This seems like a weird way for them to do it considering if you end up with the Levy I would imagine they then would have to retract the need-based money?

User avatar
dddddd90
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:55 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby dddddd90 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:48 pm

The financial aid email I got told me to check the ASW for info re: "our matching scholarship policy," but I couldn't find anything. Noble TLSers, what exactly is Penn's matching scholarship policy?

User avatar
theothercat
Posts: 342
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:36 am

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby theothercat » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:28 pm

Just got the Levy alternate e-mail. Meh, but okay.

User avatar
theothercat
Posts: 342
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:36 am

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby theothercat » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:51 pm

dddddd90 wrote:The financial aid email I got told me to check the ASW for info re: "our matching scholarship policy," but I couldn't find anything. Noble TLSers, what exactly is Penn's matching scholarship policy?


I got that e-mail too, and then I just got another e-mail with the following phrase in it: "While Penn Law does not have a matching policy..."

Penn. Why. No.

User avatar
dddddd90
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:55 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby dddddd90 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:00 pm

theothercat wrote:
dddddd90 wrote:The financial aid email I got told me to check the ASW for info re: "our matching scholarship policy," but I couldn't find anything. Noble TLSers, what exactly is Penn's matching scholarship policy?


I got that e-mail too, and then I just got another e-mail with the following phrase in it: "While Penn Law does not have a matching policy..."

Penn. Why. No.


Didn't get it yet. What does the rest say?

User avatar
dddddd90
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:55 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby dddddd90 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:02 pm

theothercat wrote:Just got the Levy alternate e-mail. Meh, but okay.


I'm sorry!

lsa16
Posts: 238
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:04 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby lsa16 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:56 pm

theothercat wrote:
dddddd90 wrote:The financial aid email I got told me to check the ASW for info re: "our matching scholarship policy," but I couldn't find anything. Noble TLSers, what exactly is Penn's matching scholarship policy?


I got that e-mail too, and then I just got another e-mail with the following phrase in it: "While Penn Law does not have a matching policy..."

Penn. Why. No.


I called admissions way back after I was first admitted but already had a significant scholarship offer from another school - I had read somewhere in the acceptance materials that they were willing to at least take into account offers from other schools, so I asked if they wanted that information upfront or if I should wait for my initial award first, and was told to send it over. Reply said "Although we do not have a matching policy, we do consider financial aid packages from peer schools to be relevant information."

Evelyn2016
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:43 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby Evelyn2016 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:10 am

Just wondering how long did it take for everyone's application (for admission not financial aid) to become complete? Actually 4 weeks?

SUNY1995
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:40 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby SUNY1995 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:20 pm

When do you guys think Penn is going to have their next wave of decisions? I went UR2 3/13, and am anxiously awaiting a decision, so I can finish this cycle and pick a school!

tartan2016
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:51 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby tartan2016 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:57 pm

SUNY1995 wrote:When do you guys think Penn is going to have their next wave of decisions? I went UR2 3/13, and am anxiously awaiting a decision, so I can finish this cycle and pick a school!


+1. UR2 3/6. Last cycle I am pretty sure they had a wave in the second week of march, but they didn't this cycle so not sure whats taking so long.

JDrat
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:45 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby JDrat » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:13 pm

Do all applications go to UR2? Mine has been stuck on 2/7 since...2/7! I see a lot of people have had March movement to UR2. Should I be worried that they've lost my application?

User avatar
mtf612
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 1:56 am

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby mtf612 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:01 pm

IN VIA VOICEMAIL !

User avatar
floatie
Posts: 541
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby floatie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:04 pm

JDrat wrote:Do all applications go to UR2? Mine has been stuck on 2/7 since...2/7! I see a lot of people have had March movement to UR2. Should I be worried that they've lost my application?


I just had a date change to today, and I was previously stuck at 2/7 for a while...hopefully you'll see some movement soon!

User avatar
RParadela
Posts: 755
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:04 am

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby RParadela » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:24 pm

floatie wrote:
JDrat wrote:Do all applications go to UR2? Mine has been stuck on 2/7 since...2/7! I see a lot of people have had March movement to UR2. Should I be worried that they've lost my application?


I just had a date change to today, and I was previously stuck at 2/7 for a while...hopefully you'll see some movement soon!


Also went UR2 today! The guy above us that got in has given me some slight hope...

User avatar
charles117
Posts: 272
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:00 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby charles117 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:06 pm

woo penn ........ ding

SaigonGin
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:55 am

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby SaigonGin » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:10 pm

Just W/L by email. Will be withdrawing. Good luck to all remaining waiters!

smilingorch
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:58 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby smilingorch » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:50 pm

SaigonGin wrote:Just W/L by email. Will be withdrawing. Good luck to all remaining waiters!


Same here. Good luck everyone who is waiting it out! :wink: you'll have one less person crowding the waitlist

23Allen
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:04 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby 23Allen » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:59 pm

In via phone call about an hour and a half ago!!! GPa > 75th, 25th < LSAT < 50th. Wrote a really serious Why Penn, and I'm the third in my family to go to Penn for grad school (though I'm not sure how much it matters if they didn't go to the law school)

Super excited because this is my top!

User avatar
capnobvious123
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 9:38 am

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby capnobvious123 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:09 pm

Rejected via email today, unsurprised but still pretty sad. Wrote in a job update and optional essay a week ago, they confirmed it was moved into my file for review, and I guess it didn't help a whole lot.

I'm having trouble finding info on transferring to penn, can anyone either provide info or link me to a thread? Search function is killing me. I'm curious how difficult it is to get in as a transfer from various schools. Got in to some low T14 and some T20, wanted to know about Penn's acceptance rate on transfers. Really had my heart set here, despite my numbers being too far off.

dbalkaran
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:16 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby dbalkaran » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:36 pm

Dinged good luck to everyone else.

goldenbear2020
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:47 pm

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby goldenbear2020 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:09 pm

capnobvious123 wrote:Rejected via email today, unsurprised but still pretty sad. Wrote in a job update and optional essay a week ago, they confirmed it was moved into my file for review, and I guess it didn't help a whole lot.

I'm having trouble finding info on transferring to penn, can anyone either provide info or link me to a thread? Search function is killing me. I'm curious how difficult it is to get in as a transfer from various schools. Got in to some low T14 and some T20, wanted to know about Penn's acceptance rate on transfers. Really had my heart set here, despite my numbers being too far off.

In general, top half is good enough to transfer to a peer school, so maybe top third at a lower T14 would get you there.

User avatar
capnobvious123
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 9:38 am

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Postby capnobvious123 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:26 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:
capnobvious123 wrote:Rejected via email today, unsurprised but still pretty sad. Wrote in a job update and optional essay a week ago, they confirmed it was moved into my file for review, and I guess it didn't help a whole lot.

I'm having trouble finding info on transferring to penn, can anyone either provide info or link me to a thread? Search function is killing me. I'm curious how difficult it is to get in as a transfer from various schools. Got in to some low T14 and some T20, wanted to know about Penn's acceptance rate on transfers. Really had my heart set here, despite my numbers being too far off.

In general, top half is good enough to transfer to a peer school, so maybe top third at a lower T14 would get you there.


Thanks! Do you happen to be familiar with any sources or places where I might read up on this? I found some interviews w/ former Penn adcoms and things about transferring, but I was hoping for maybe some data on acceptance rates and such.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests