Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Georgiana
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby Georgiana » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:03 pm

mm2368 wrote:
TudoBem wrote:LSAT - 165 GPA 3.62 URM
Penn is my first choice. Just visited this past Monday.

Do you think if I apply ED increases my chance?
Tks!


don't know that you need to ED, unless you think your softs/the qualitative elements of your app (PS/LOR/extra essays) are weak. but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. it IS your first choice, so why not?

the sticker thing sucks but Penn really just doesn't give as much money to students as some of the other T14. and also.... don't worry so much about paying the sticker price back. Lots of people have loans, it gets taken care of. Not the end of the world.

I have to disagree that the loan amounts should be taken so lightly. Its a lot of money and it takes time and a lot of effort and self control to pay off, even with a biglaw salary. That's not to say you shouldn't do it, but its not something to be taken a lightly as the post above suggests.

User avatar
proteinshake
Posts: 4553
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby proteinshake » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:37 am

mm2368 wrote:
TudoBem wrote:LSAT - 165 GPA 3.62 URM
Penn is my first choice. Just visited this past Monday.

Do you think if I apply ED increases my chance?
Tks!


don't know that you need to ED, unless you think your softs/the qualitative elements of your app (PS/LOR/extra essays) are weak. but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. it IS your first choice, so why not?

the sticker thing sucks but Penn really just doesn't give as much money to students as some of the other T14. and also.... don't worry so much about paying the sticker price back. Lots of people have loans, it gets taken care of. Not the end of the world.

since pretty much every law student/grad on TLS warns of how hard it actually is to pay back sticker price even on a biglaw salary, this is probably really bad advice. apply RD across the T14 and see what happens.

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:42 am

---
Last edited by SybillAnnDorsett on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
proteinshake
Posts: 4553
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby proteinshake » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:02 pm

mm2368 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
mm2368 wrote:
TudoBem wrote:LSAT - 165 GPA 3.62 URM
Penn is my first choice. Just visited this past Monday.

Do you think if I apply ED increases my chance?
Tks!


don't know that you need to ED, unless you think your softs/the qualitative elements of your app (PS/LOR/extra essays) are weak. but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. it IS your first choice, so why not?

the sticker thing sucks but Penn really just doesn't give as much money to students as some of the other T14. and also.... don't worry so much about paying the sticker price back. Lots of people have loans, it gets taken care of. Not the end of the world.

since pretty much every law student/grad on TLS warns of how hard it actually is to pay back sticker price even on a biglaw salary, this is probably really bad advice. apply RD across the T14 and see what happens.


I really don't see how it's pretty bad advice to tell somebody not to worry so much. I said nothing about whether that means you should apply Ed or not. Please stop quoting me on this. Thanks.

your second paragraph definitely says more than just "don't worry about it."

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:24 pm

---
Last edited by SybillAnnDorsett on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
amberb94
Posts: 331
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby amberb94 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:30 pm

I'm going to submit an app here soon, but I'm super nervous about it.
Hopefully my mediocre GPA won't hurt me too much.

User avatar
amberb94
Posts: 331
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby amberb94 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:33 pm

mm2368 wrote:changing the subject because I just asked not to be quoted and it happened anyway.

does anybody know if Penn will accept an addendum after submission? I submitted 10/24... but I wrote something up that I think would make a serious difference. open to your thoughts, guys.


I bet they would accept one, but reluctantly.
Just curious, if the addendum was about something so serious that it will actually make a difference, why are you just now thinking about it? They might wonder why you didn't include it in the first place.

(This is all speculation by the way.)

User avatar
proteinshake
Posts: 4553
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby proteinshake » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:09 pm

amberb94 wrote:
mm2368 wrote:changing the subject because I just asked not to be quoted and it happened anyway.

does anybody know if Penn will accept an addendum after submission? I submitted 10/24... but I wrote something up that I think would make a serious difference. open to your thoughts, guys.


I bet they would accept one, but reluctantly.
Just curious, if the addendum was about something so serious that it will actually make a difference, why are you just now thinking about it? They might wonder why you didn't include it in the first place.

(This is all speculation by the way.)

generally it's okay to submit things after you submit your app, so it should be fine. for example, people send in Why Xs after they submit their app all the time.

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:34 pm

---
Last edited by SybillAnnDorsett on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
amberb94
Posts: 331
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby amberb94 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:50 pm

mm2368 wrote:
amberb94 wrote:
mm2368 wrote:changing the subject because I just asked not to be quoted and it happened anyway.

does anybody know if Penn will accept an addendum after submission? I submitted 10/24... but I wrote something up that I think would make a serious difference. open to your thoughts, guys.


I bet they would accept one, but reluctantly.
Just curious, if the addendum was about something so serious that it will actually make a difference, why are you just now thinking about it? They might wonder why you didn't include it in the first place.

(This is all speculation by the way.)



That line of logic is totally fair, hadn't even thought of it that way. but in my case, the spark for this writing happened on Tuesday. Hopefully I can leave it at that.. and because some of Penn's professors have spoken up already (saw something just this am in the financial times, for example) I thought, let me get this out there because it has everything to do with why I want a Penn degree.

Hopefully this helps clear things up for people who want to submit after the fact - they do generally accept things. I already sent an updated resume, and they emailed me back quickly saying that they added what I'm referencing above to my app.


Well I'm glad they'll accept it and I hope it helps you out!

User avatar
airwrecka
Posts: 1112
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby airwrecka » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:51 pm

mm2368 wrote:That line of logic is totally fair, hadn't even thought of it that way. but in my case, the spark for this writing happened on Tuesday. Hopefully I can leave it at that.. and because some of Penn's professors have spoken up already (saw something just this am in the financial times, for example) I thought, let me get this out there because it has everything to do with why I want a Penn degree.

Hopefully this helps clear things up for people who want to submit after the fact - they do generally accept things. I already sent an updated resume, and they emailed me back quickly saying that they added what I'm referencing above to my app.


Since Penn hasn't even started reviewing apps yet, I would have been surprised if they hadn't accepted it! Glad it wasn't an issue at all for you.

legaljargon29
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:39 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby legaljargon29 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:29 pm

Applying ED! Anyone else?

User avatar
TudoBem
Posts: 364
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:21 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby TudoBem » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:38 pm

legaljargon29 wrote:Applying ED! Anyone else?



I am still debating....ugh....

mcblake
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:56 am

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby mcblake » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:00 pm

I applied ED to Penn on 9/19 and my status checker just changed to "under committee review"!
I was reading through last years thread and this seems a little earlier than last year. Hopefully that means we'll find out sooner!

User avatar
taxman14
Posts: 495
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:04 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby taxman14 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:32 pm

mcblake wrote:I applied ED to Penn on 9/19 and my status checker just changed to "under committee review"!
I was reading through last years thread and this seems a little earlier than last year. Hopefully that means we'll find out sooner!


Congrats! Might be because you're ED. I'm RD and no changes

User avatar
poptart123
Posts: 1108
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby poptart123 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:39 pm

taxman14 wrote:
mcblake wrote:I applied ED to Penn on 9/19 and my status checker just changed to "under committee review"!
I was reading through last years thread and this seems a little earlier than last year. Hopefully that means we'll find out sooner!


Congrats! Might be because you're ED. I'm RD and no changes


ditto

mcblake
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:56 am

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby mcblake » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:52 pm

Yeah I'm sure they try to get through the ED people first. But it looks like last year they didn't even start reviewing ED apps until 11/23ish, so maybe this means they'll process everything a little bit earlier this year?

Any other ED people UCR now?

lawschoolapps2k16
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:10 am

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby lawschoolapps2k16 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:12 am

mcblake wrote:Yeah I'm sure they try to get through the ED people first. But it looks like last year they didn't even start reviewing ED apps until 11/23ish, so maybe this means they'll process everything a little bit earlier this year?

Any other ED people UCR now?



Yes I'm ED. Mine also says under committee review. I read on their website they post the final decision on the status checker as well as by email... I'll be checking frantically now

User avatar
fountainja
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:06 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby fountainja » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:21 am

mcblake wrote:Yeah I'm sure they try to get through the ED people first. But it looks like last year they didn't even start reviewing ED apps until 11/23ish, so maybe this means they'll process everything a little bit earlier this year?

Any other ED people UCR now?


Applying ED and went UCR yesterday.

User avatar
TudoBem
Posts: 364
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:21 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby TudoBem » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:26 am

fountainja wrote:
mcblake wrote:Yeah I'm sure they try to get through the ED people first. But it looks like last year they didn't even start reviewing ED apps until 11/23ish, so maybe this means they'll process everything a little bit earlier this year?

Any other ED people UCR now?


Applying ED and went UCR yesterday.



Applying ED and went UCR today.

apricots
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:09 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby apricots » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:59 pm

Checking in here, 3.3/173. Wrote both optional essays, gpa addendum, and a diversity statement.
How's everyone else doing?

BrittanyJeream
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:42 am

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby BrittanyJeream » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:08 pm

apricots wrote:Checking in here, 3.3/173. Wrote both optional essays, gpa addendum, and a diversity statement.
How's everyone else doing?


3.59/169
wrote 1 optional essay, diversity statement, GPA addendum.
Few soft URM "check-boxes" as they say. Feeling okay.

User avatar
TudoBem
Posts: 364
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:21 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby TudoBem » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:30 pm

BrittanyJeream wrote:
apricots wrote:Checking in here, 3.3/173. Wrote both optional essays, gpa addendum, and a diversity statement.
How's everyone else doing?


3.59/169
wrote 1 optional essay, diversity statement, GPA addendum.
Few soft URM "check-boxes" as they say. Feeling okay.


Did you apply ED? If yes, you have a really solid chance.

lawschoolapps2k16
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:10 am

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby lawschoolapps2k16 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:32 pm

Any idea based on previous years when ED1 should expect to hear back? The UCR tab is taunting me (and I'm sure I'm not alone)

User avatar
TudoBem
Posts: 364
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:21 pm

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby TudoBem » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:34 am

lawschoolapps2k16 wrote:Any idea based on previous years when ED1 should expect to hear back? The UCR tab is taunting me (and I'm sure I'm not alone)

The date on my status checker changed to 9/21/2016 and it is still UCR. This is killing me...so anxious...




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DowsingForAJD, Exabot [Bot], heyduchess, InterLaw, profdogwalker, SopranoSaxophone and 10 guests