Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
NorthDragon

New

Re: University of Pennsylvania c/o 2020 Applicants

Post by NorthDragon » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:03 pm

NorthDragon wrote:Quick question: for NYU, do we need to write a detailed description of our college and post-college activities as the Yale app requires? thanks!
I meant Penn, I cannot check because I have already submitted my app

StopLawying

Silver

Post by StopLawying » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:20 pm

You guys think I have any chance at Penn? Reverse splitter here. 164, 4.0+ gpa
Pls don't quote

zeglo

Silver

Post by zeglo » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:35 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:56 pm

Yes, you have a decent chance.
http://mylsn.info/vgdy0f/

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:09 am

you will at least (and most likely) get a WL, but I think most people who get in as reverse splitters probably ED'd? not sure but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. or they are URMs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Post by 20171lhopeful » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:37 pm

Does it matter if I put my reasons for wanting to attend Penn in my PS instead of answering optional question #2? I think it flows more with the rest of my PS and I don't want to be redundant. Plus I don't have a page's worth of reasons. I have a paragraph max of good reasons. I think adding anything more would be fluff. I just don't want it to to count against me that I didn't do the optional response explicitly...

notnecessarilyproper

New

Post by notnecessarilyproper » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:13 pm

Penn offers multiple optional responses, so to show your interest you might want to choose one of the other topics.

studyingeveryday

Silver

Post by studyingeveryday » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:15 pm

20171lhopeful wrote:Does it matter if I put my reasons for wanting to attend Penn in my PS instead of answering optional question #2? I think it flows more with the rest of my PS and I don't want to be redundant. Plus I don't have a page's worth of reasons. I have a paragraph max of good reasons. I think adding anything more would be fluff. I just don't want it to to count against me that I didn't do the optional response explicitly...
I think you're on the right track, if you are positive you have nothing else to add, then don't write the same thing over again in the essay. Also, if you looked up resources, courses, clinics, etc. you're interested in and wrote about them in your PS, and you don't mean that you just wrote about personal reasons for wanting to go to Penn, then I think you're fine.

That said, it would help to at least do one of the other optional essays.

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Post by 20171lhopeful » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:20 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:Does it matter if I put my reasons for wanting to attend Penn in my PS instead of answering optional question #2? I think it flows more with the rest of my PS and I don't want to be redundant. Plus I don't have a page's worth of reasons. I have a paragraph max of good reasons. I think adding anything more would be fluff. I just don't want it to to count against me that I didn't do the optional response explicitly...
I think you're on the right track, if you are positive you have nothing else to add, then don't write the same thing over again in the essay. Also, if you looked up resources, courses, clinics, etc. you're interested in and wrote about them in your PS, and you don't mean that you just wrote about personal reasons for wanting to go to Penn, then I think you're fine.

That said, it would help to at least do one of the other optional essays.
Thanks! Yup, I talked about their PI program since it connects to my PS. And I did the DS. I just wasn't sure if they would view me negatively for nor writing a why penn.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:42 am

I had a friend with a slightly worse GPA and lower LSAT get off the WL last year, but he will be paying sticker. You will probably get a WL first.

didnt mean to quote: edit
Last edited by poptart123 on Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

studyingeveryday

Silver

Post by studyingeveryday » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:57 pm

In the core strenghts essay, did anyone actually talk about their own values and how Penn's programs help meet your values as relating to your career goals? Or do most not talk about values and just treat it as a "Why Penn" essay?

R. Jeeves

Gold

Post by R. Jeeves » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:27 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:In the core strenghts essay, did anyone actually talk about their own values and how Penn's programs help meet your values as relating to your career goals? Or do most not talk about values and just treat it as a "Why Penn" essay?
the prompt covers everything that a typical why X essay would (except for geographical location - if your essay is entirely about geolocation, you can work something in about one of their programs or their collegial environment or something and it will adequately address the prompt), so yeah treat it like a why Penn.

you dont need to explicitly reference your values if you dont want to, because values is a really broad term. you could value some of their specific programs. you could value their commitment to cross-disciplinary education. pretty much any reason you give as to why Penn is a good fit for you arguably carries an implicit reference to your values. plus it says goals or values. if you talk entirely about how penn would be a good fit for you because of your goals thats fine too.

studyingeveryday

Silver

Post by studyingeveryday » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:07 pm

R. Jeeves wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:In the core strenghts essay, did anyone actually talk about their own values and how Penn's programs help meet your values as relating to your career goals? Or do most not talk about values and just treat it as a "Why Penn" essay?
the prompt covers everything that a typical why X essay would (except for geographical location - if your essay is entirely about geolocation, you can work something in about one of their programs or their collegial environment or something and it will adequately address the prompt), so yeah treat it like a why Penn.

you dont need to explicitly reference your values if you dont want to, because values is a really broad term. you could value some of their specific programs. you could value their commitment to cross-disciplinary education. pretty much any reason you give as to why Penn is a good fit for you arguably carries an implicit reference to your values. plus it says goals or values. if you talk entirely about how penn would be a good fit for you because of your goals thats fine too.
thanks for your response!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

studyingeveryday

Silver

Post by studyingeveryday » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:12 pm

For the undergraduate employment section, did you all include unpaid internships?

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:49 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:For the undergraduate employment section, did you all include unpaid internships?
Yes, but I had a 40+ hour per week one.

zeglo

Silver

Post by zeglo » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:54 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:43 pm

Yes, to be clear mine was during the academic year as part of a fellowship for credit with evening classes.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

studyingeveryday

Silver

Post by studyingeveryday » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:59 pm

Thank you both for clearing that up!

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:40 pm

Any idea when they'll start reviewing files? I went complete on 10/7 and am still waiting to go under review...

katthegreat11

Bronze

Post by katthegreat11 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:03 pm

airwrecka wrote:Any idea when they'll start reviewing files? I went complete on 10/7 and am still waiting to go under review...
Status checker says "The Admissions Committee will not start to review files until mid-November. The Admissions Committee is committed to a holistic review of every application." Last year it looks like first acceptances (ED and RD) came out mid-December.

TudoBem

Bronze

Post by TudoBem » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:38 pm

LSAT - 165 GPA 3.62 URM
Penn is my first choice. Just visited this past Monday.

Do you think if I apply ED increases my chance?
Tks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

zeglo

Silver

Post by zeglo » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:45 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:15 pm

---
Last edited by SybillAnnDorsett on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TudoBem

Bronze

Post by TudoBem » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:02 pm

mm2368 wrote:
TudoBem wrote:LSAT - 165 GPA 3.62 URM

Tks!
don't know that you need to ED, unless you think your softs/the qualitative elements of your app (PS/LOR/extra essays) are weak. but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. it IS your first choice, so why not?

the sticker thing sucks but Penn really just doesn't give as much money to students as some of the other T14. and also.... don't worry so much about paying the sticker price back. Lots of people have loans, it gets taken care of. Not the end of the world.
Thank you! very helpful. :)

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:48 pm

mm2368 wrote:
TudoBem wrote:LSAT - 165 GPA 3.62 URM

Tks!
don't know that you need to ED, unless you think your softs/the qualitative elements of your app (PS/LOR/extra essays) are weak. but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. it IS your first choice, so why not?

the sticker thing sucks but Penn really just doesn't give as much money to students as some of the other T14. and also.... don't worry so much about paying the sticker price back. Lots of people have loans, it gets taken care of. Not the end of the world.
This opinion is not the consensus of TLS. Alternatively, Tudo, you can write in the value essay that it's your first choice, might not be as strong as a commitment, but it's telling them

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”