Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
argos93

New

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 Applicants - Pending is better than a Penn ding

Post by argos93 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:10 pm

AFtoLawschool wrote:So I'm assuming if you haven't heard anything about finaid you didn't get any merit aid? I was accepted back in January.
Did you fill out the CSS Profile? I called yesterday asking about financial aid and did not realize this was something Penn needs for financial aid. It apparently costs $25 to submit to the school.

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:12 pm

argos93 wrote:
AFtoLawschool wrote:So I'm assuming if you haven't heard anything about finaid you didn't get any merit aid? I was accepted back in January.
Did you fill out the CSS Profile? I called yesterday asking about financial aid and did not realize this was something Penn needs for financial aid. It apparently costs $25 to submit to the school.
Their website makes it seem like Merit and need based are separate. I did not plan on applying for need based aid. Did they say something different?

argos93

New

Post by argos93 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:21 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
argos93 wrote:
Their website makes it seem like Merit and need based are separate. I did not plan on applying for need based aid. Did they say something different?
If you want to be considered for need based, you need to fill out the CSS Profile. It's in the acceptance email. They definitely buried the lede on that one.

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:27 pm

argos93 wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
argos93 wrote:
If you want to be considered for need based, you need to fill out the CSS Profile. It's in the acceptance email. They definitely buried the lede on that one.
Right, I knew that. I was talking about merit aid. I don't really care about applying for need aid because I know I won't get any. I don't want to waste the money.

AFtoLawschool

Bronze

Post by AFtoLawschool » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:44 pm

argos93 wrote:
The website made it seem like merit needed no separate application. I didn't apply for need-based.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:52 pm

AFtoLawschool wrote:
argos93 wrote:
The website made it seem like merit needed no separate application. I didn't apply for need-based.
Same here.

BrittanyJeream

Bronze

Post by BrittanyJeream » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:58 pm

Okay y'all so a weird thing just happened:

I got my Financial Aid Award a week ago (need based and a Dean's Fellow Award). Well, I hadn't replied to them yet, and I just received a "Revised Award" email; my need-based stayed the same, but they increased my Dean's Fellow award by about 40%. Did this happen to anyone else?

I'm NOT complaining, but it seems odd? I didn't ask for it.

theothercat

Bronze

Post by theothercat » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:02 pm

BrittanyJeream wrote:Okay y'all so a weird thing just happened:

I got my Financial Aid Award a week ago (need based and a Dean's Fellow Award). Well, I hadn't replied to them yet, and I just received a "Revised Award" email; my need-based stayed the same, but they increased my Dean's Fellow award by about 40%. Did this happen to anyone else?

Yep, same thing happened to me, but with my need-based award. It was strange, but since it was an increase, I just thought "well, alright then..." :)

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:05 pm

That's awesome guys congrats!!

(Penn please share the love and send out some initial scholarship offers)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:09 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:That's awesome guys congrats!!

(Penn please share the love and send out some initial scholarship offers)
+1 :)

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:30 pm

theothercat wrote:
BrittanyJeream wrote:Okay y'all so a weird thing just happened:

Yep, same thing happened to me, but with my need-based award. It was strange, but since it was an increase, I just thought "well, alright then..." :)
That's awesome!

Does anyone know if it's acceptable/possible to negotiate the named scholarships? I got the Wilson, but am wondering if I should/can ask for more?

jampearl10

New

Post by jampearl10 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:33 pm

Does anyone know if it's acceptable/possible to negotiate the named scholarships? I got the Wilson, but am wondering if I should/can ask for more?[/quote]

PM'd you

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:02 am

Lol, people getting tons of $$$ and wanting more and I'm here like "I'd sell my soul to the devil to get accepted/plz love me"

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

intlbr

Bronze

Post by intlbr » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:47 am

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:Lol, people getting tons of $$$ and wanting more and I'm here like "I'd sell my soul to the devil to get accepted/plz love me"
+1!!!!!!!!

Cbear2017

New

Post by Cbear2017 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:27 pm

Don't lose hope--I just got my merit aid award an hour ago!

Cbear2017

New

Post by Cbear2017 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:29 pm

How open is Penn to negotiating? I have 40k more at a peer school and don't really know how to bring that up...

ad34964n

Bronze

Post by ad34964n » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:31 pm

intlbr wrote:
SybillAnnDorsett wrote:Lol, people getting tons of $$$ and wanting more and I'm here like "I'd sell my soul to the devil to get accepted/plz love me"
+1!!!!!!!!
+180,180,180.99

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

suitsandpotions

New

Post by suitsandpotions » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:22 pm

Been stuck at complete since 2/1. I submitted my application early January. I'm a URM student. Is It the norm for URM applicants to wait longer? It's driving me crazy that I haven't even gone under review yet and some people are talking about financial aid already. I feel like a child that's been left behind :(
Last edited by suitsandpotions on Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blue664

New

Post by Blue664 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:30 pm

Cbear2017 wrote:How open is Penn to negotiating? I have 40k more at a peer school and don't really know how to bring that up...
There is something on the website about providing information about other offers!

texteach

Bronze

Post by texteach » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:40 pm

Blue664 wrote:
Cbear2017 wrote:How open is Penn to negotiating? I have 40k more at a peer school and don't really know how to bring that up...
There is something on the website about providing information about other offers!
Does anyone know the link to this? I was hunting for it a minute ago but couldn't find it.

nonononono

New

Post by nonononono » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:05 pm

They surprisingly want you to tell them what peer offers you have. I told them I was worried it comes off as rude or greedy and they said it doesn't

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

littlekidlover

New

Post by littlekidlover » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:05 pm

Anyone else have a status change today? Not sure if I'm UR2 or UR3. Submitted 2/7 or something.

toddgack88

New

Post by toddgack88 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:17 pm

littlekidlover wrote:Anyone else have a status change today? Not sure if I'm UR2 or UR3. Submitted 2/7 or something.
I went UR 2 today. Complete 1/23, UR1 2/7, UR2 3/27

littlekidlover

New

Post by littlekidlover » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:27 pm

toddgack88 wrote:
littlekidlover wrote:Anyone else have a status change today? Not sure if I'm UR2 or UR3. Submitted 2/7 or something.
This unfortunately bodes poorly for you, my friend. I am an utter moron with next to no chance of admission. :lol:

futureellewoods123

Bronze

Post by futureellewoods123 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:06 pm

toddgack88 wrote:
Me too!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”