Notre Dame Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Application and scholarship record for this cycle:

Accepted
11%
Accepted with $
22%
Accepted with $$$
32%
Waitlisted
27%
Rejected
9%

Total votes: 93

ndirish2010

Gold

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:29 pm

njdevils327 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
njdevils327 wrote:
anrf1225 wrote:
njdevils327 wrote:Anyone else rethinking their application now that Pence is speaking at commencement? I know it's already a conservative leaning school, but I think that this is pretty shameful considering the administration he's a part of's mistreatment of several different minority groups.
Every newly elected president since jimmy carter i think has spoken at the notre dame graduation in their inaugural year. i think the fact that notre dame chose to break this tradition because they felt so strongly against trump shows a lot more about the character of the university.
Here's an idea. If they actually want to make a stand against his adminstration, how about not inviting HIS GODDAMN VICE PRESIDENT WHO HAS AN EVEN WORSE TRACK RECORD
According to you.

Notre Dame invited President Obama, which sparked protests. I am sure that Vice President Pence will spark protests. People should probably learn to deal with hearing from people that don't agree with them by the time they're in college or, especially, law school.

If you don't want to come to Notre Dame because of this, fine. But this is a place for applicants to NDLS, not a place to debate the policies (real or imagined) of the Trump administration.
There is an overlap there, and judging by the amount of responses to the initial topic it seems people would tend to agree with me that it is worth bringing up.

Also, this post reeks of condescension. If you're trying to set an example of how Notre Dame graduates conduct themselves in the community, perhaps don't post with such a smug certainty that you're right.
Condescension? How? I didn't even take a position other than that I don't think this thread is the place for political discussion. I certainly have no smug certainties. I still think that it's not the proper place for this, but go ahead, I can't stop you obviously.

anrf1225

New

Post by anrf1225 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:30 pm

Last edited by anrf1225 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:34 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
njdevils327 wrote:
anrf1225 wrote:
njdevils327 wrote:Anyone else rethinking their application now that Pence is speaking at commencement? I know it's already a conservative leaning school, but I think that this is pretty shameful considering the administration he's a part of's mistreatment of several different minority groups.
Every newly elected president since jimmy carter i think has spoken at the notre dame graduation in their inaugural year. i think the fact that notre dame chose to break this tradition because they felt so strongly against trump shows a lot more about the character of the university.
Here's an idea. If they actually want to make a stand against his adminstration, how about not inviting HIS GODDAMN VICE PRESIDENT WHO HAS AN EVEN WORSE TRACK RECORD
According to you.

Notre Dame invited President Obama, which sparked protests. I am sure that Vice President Pence will spark protests. People should probably learn to deal with hearing from people that don't agree with them by the time they're in college or, especially, law school.

If you don't want to come to Notre Dame because of this, fine. But this is a place for applicants to NDLS, not a place to debate the policies (real or imagined) of the Trump administration.
"People should probably learn to deal with hearing from people that don't agree with them by the time they're in college or, especially, law school. " says the person that's telling everyone to GTFO because he/she doesn't agree with them lolol

njdevils327

Bronze

Post by njdevils327 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:36 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
njdevils327 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
njdevils327 wrote:
anrf1225 wrote:
According to you.

There is an overlap there, and judging by the amount of responses to the initial topic it seems people would tend to agree with me that it is worth bringing up.

Also, this post reeks of condescension. If you're trying to set an example of how Notre Dame graduates conduct themselves in the community, perhaps don't post with such a smug certainty that you're right.
Condescension? How? I didn't even take a position other than that I don't think this thread is the place for political discussion. I certainly have no smug certainties. I still think that it's not the proper place for this, but go ahead, I can't stop you obviously.
"People should learn to deal with hearing from people that don't agree with them"

That's not what this is about, and in an open discourse, perhaps you are right. But for a one side speech that is supposed to be about giving advice, its pretty condescending to tell someone they should have to sit through and hear life advice from a person who has demonstrated a desire to "cure them of their gayness" to make it so if they have brown or black skin they can't vote, and to imprison them for life for smoking a joint.

So, yeah, I think it's pretty damn condescending to tell me this guy's legal and constitutional background is "irrelevant" to my decision about what school I want to learn about the law and the Constitution from

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:36 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
njdevils327 wrote:
anrf1225 wrote:
According to you.

"People should probably learn to deal with hearing from people that don't agree with them by the time they're in college or, especially, law school. " says the person that's telling everyone to GTFO because he/she doesn't agree with them lolol
I did not say to get off the thread because I disagree with his POV. I haven't even stated a POV on the Pence invitation, so that's pretty presumptuous. All I said was that I don't think this is the place to talk about politics. People yell at each other in the lounge 24/7 over this stuff.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shotgunheist

Bronze

Post by shotgunheist » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:38 pm

Well, this is fun. I strongly dislike P-money, but I respect his position and understand he is a part of Indiana's history now. I wouldn't have a problem with it. Another opportunity to learn in person about a position I don't fully understand or subscribe to myself.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:38 pm

njdevils327 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
njdevils327 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
njdevils327 wrote:
anrf1225 wrote:
According to you.

"People should learn to deal with hearing from people that don't agree with them"

That's not what this is about, and in an open discourse, perhaps you are right. But for a one side speech that is supposed to be about giving advice, its pretty condescending to tell someone they should have to sit through and hear life advice from a person who has demonstrated a desire to "cure them of their gayness" to make it so if they have brown or black skin they can't vote, and to imprison them for life for smoking a joint.

So, yeah, I think it's pretty damn condescending to tell me this guy's legal and constitutional background is "irrelevant" to my decision about what school I want to learn about the law and the Constitution from
It is irrelevant for many reasons: (1) the law school has no input on the identity of the commencement speaker; (2) the law school graduation ceremony happens on a different day from the University ceremony, and no law student is obliged to go to the University ceremony, so nobody is being forced to listen to the VPOTUS; and (3) most importantly, it doesn't change Notre Dame's employment outcomes.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:40 pm

I will say that NDLS employs several professors who, while more refined and with greater legal acumen than the VPOTUS, hold similar constitutional and policy positions. Of course, if that makes you uncomfortable, you should go somewhere else. But that was true even before it was announced that the VPOTUS would be speaking here in May.

njdevils327

Bronze

Post by njdevils327 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:41 pm

Good to see the alumni are thick-skulled here...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:42 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
njdevils327 wrote:
anrf1225 wrote:
According to you.

I did not say to get off the thread because I disagree with his POV. I haven't even stated a POV on the Pence invitation, so that's pretty presumptuous. All I said was that I don't think this is the place to talk about politics. People yell at each other in the lounge 24/7 over this stuff.
Fair, but political leanings of a school (law school and the afiliated univeristy) is definitely something worth considering when choosing law schools. It's cool that people argue 24/7 over his at the student lounge, but there's a difference between arguing with a coherent Republican and Kellyann Conway/Rudy Giuliani. That's definitely something worth considering.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:43 pm

Actually, this thread/subforum is not to be used to debate the merits of a given school, but to share information about acceptances/waitlists/rejections. While I sympathize with your concerns (and agree people may well want to consider such things), you'll need to discuss them in another part of the forum. Thanks.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:44 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
njdevils327 wrote:
anrf1225 wrote:
According to you.

Fair, but political leanings of a school (law school and the afiliated univeristy) is definitely something worth considering when choosing law schools. It's cool that people argue 24/7 over his at the student lounge, but there's a difference between arguing with a coherent Republican and Kellyann Conway/Rudy Giuliani. That's definitely something worth considering.
Haha, I meant the TLS lounge, home to the king of all political debates (and far less censorship than this board). Its existence is really the only reason I tried to keep politics off the NDLS 2020 applicants thread.

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:44 pm

idk if its a secret that NDLS is right leaning, so its p unsurprising that Pence was invited. i think the outrage itt about it is weird because its not really a secret. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:45 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Actually, this thread/subforum is not to be used to debate the merits of a given school, but to share information about acceptances/waitlists/rejections. While I sympathize with your concerns (and agree people may well want to consider such things), you'll need to discuss them in another part of the forum. Thanks.
HI NONY!

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:46 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
njdevils327 wrote:
anrf1225 wrote:
According to you.

Haha, I meant the TLS lounge, home to the king of all political debates (and far less censorship than this board). Its existence is really the only reason I tried to keep politics off the NDLS 2020 applicants thread.
Ahh woops haha okay fair enough!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:52 pm

amta wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Actually, this thread/subforum is not to be used to debate the merits of a given school, but to share information about acceptances/waitlists/rejections. While I sympathize with your concerns (and agree people may well want to consider such things), you'll need to discuss them in another part of the forum. Thanks.
HI NONY!
HI AMTA!

Lexigator

New

Post by Lexigator » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:50 pm

shotgunheist wrote:Well, this is fun. I strongly dislike P-money, but I respect his position and understand he is a part of Indiana's history now. I wouldn't have a problem with it. Another opportunity to learn in person about a position I don't fully understand or subscribe to myself.
If this was Facebook, I would like this post. I feel you should know that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Smallville

Gold

Post by Smallville » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:56 am

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote: Fair, but political leanings of a school (law school and the afiliated univeristy) is definitely something worth considering when choosing law schools. It's cool that people argue 24/7 over his at the student lounge, but there's a difference between arguing with a coherent Republican and Kellyann Conway/Rudy Giuliani. That's definitely something worth considering.
while political leanings are no secret, there are plenty of peeps that fall outside of that, along with plenty of people that fit the mold but are not happy with the current administration. and for the most part people aren't terrible talking to reg politics... of course there will be some hard headed people but that's def not the norm

SNightHighlights

New

Post by SNightHighlights » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:46 pm

Woah woah woah, guys! Can we please leave the flaming and trolling in the Northwestern Applicants thread (it has literally 20 pages of toxicity)? Let's not turn the NDLS thread into a shitshow.

whodareswins

Bronze

Post by whodareswins » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:09 pm

How soon should one expect the admissions packet post- email acceptance? Also, will the scholarship offer be in the packet? Thanks in advance, and sorry if this has already been answered.

Pinkpanda24

Bronze

Post by Pinkpanda24 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:46 pm

whodareswins wrote:How soon should one expect the admissions packet post- email acceptance? Also, will the scholarship offer be in the packet? Thanks in advance, and sorry if this has already been answered.
I got mine within a week afterwards, and my scholarship info was included.
Plz post whether or not glitter was included. This is still bothering me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

whodareswins

Bronze

Post by whodareswins » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:48 pm

Pinkpanda24 wrote:
whodareswins wrote:How soon should one expect the admissions packet post- email acceptance? Also, will the scholarship offer be in the packet? Thanks in advance, and sorry if this has already been answered.
Thank you! And I will be sure to provide a glitter update when I receive it.

chi-minneeng

New

Post by chi-minneeng » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:58 pm

We should start that poll for ASW weekend.

I'm thinking Friday the 24th, just Friday and not Saturday.

whodareswins

Bronze

Post by whodareswins » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:31 pm

whodareswins wrote:
Pinkpanda24 wrote:
Thank you! And I will be sure to provide a glitter update when I receive it.
I received the packet today. Very pleased with the presentation/hand written letter. The 105k scholarship offer is nice too, but I'm going to have to negotiate to make attending realistic. Hoping to get the offer up to 120k+.

Torres1893

Bronze

Post by Torres1893 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:37 pm

Does anyone know if you can find a digital copy of the scholarship letter? Would make scholarship negotiations easier for me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”