Notre Dame Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Application and scholarship record for this cycle:

Accepted
11%
Accepted with $
22%
Accepted with $$$
32%
Waitlisted
27%
Rejected
9%

Total votes: 93

Long shot hero

Bronze

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by Long shot hero » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:06 pm

Smallville wrote:
Long shot hero wrote:So Notre Dame is the only app I haven't sent off yet, and I've heard the 2 optional essays are not so optional. It is easily in my top 5, but I don't want to get passed over and waitlisted or give up a possible scholarship chance. I am right at 25 for GPA and right at 75 for LSAT. Would it be advisable to write one of the 2 essays? I don't want to try to write a "why" essay and it come up short and look bad, though. As for the DKL essay, I had an idea, but I am unsure as to whether I could pull it off.
I know there were a lot of people saying that same thing regarding being not so optional, I didn't write either and am here now, tho I also applied kinda late so idk if that affects anything.
seeing as it is still October there is still plenty of time so I don't see a reason not to take a little time and write the essays
I already had a DKL essay in the works and just took time to make a Why Notre essay. Just sent it off. Glad I did that though as I'm very interested in Notre. Would love to talk to any current or former students!

irish921

New

Post by irish921 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:32 pm

trmckenz wrote:How do older students fare socially at NDLS? Do you notice students with several years of experience being excluded from social invitations, or are they mixed in pretty well?
Couldn't help but notice your avatar. I am a State grad as well, did ND for law school. Happy to answer any questions you have via pm.

Smallville

Gold

Post by Smallville » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:20 am

Long shot hero wrote:
Smallville wrote:
Long shot hero wrote:So Notre Dame is the only app I haven't sent off yet, and I've heard the 2 optional essays are not so optional. It is easily in my top 5, but I don't want to get passed over and waitlisted or give up a possible scholarship chance. I am right at 25 for GPA and right at 75 for LSAT. Would it be advisable to write one of the 2 essays? I don't want to try to write a "why" essay and it come up short and look bad, though. As for the DKL essay, I had an idea, but I am unsure as to whether I could pull it off.
I know there were a lot of people saying that same thing regarding being not so optional, I didn't write either and am here now, tho I also applied kinda late so idk if that affects anything.
seeing as it is still October there is still plenty of time so I don't see a reason not to take a little time and write the essays
I already had a DKL essay in the works and just took time to make a Why Notre essay. Just sent it off. Glad I did that though as I'm very interested in Notre. Would love to talk to any current or former students!
well if posts didnt give it away I'm a 1L here so feel free to ask here or PM any questions

Long shot hero

Bronze

Post by Long shot hero » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:33 am

Smallville wrote:
Long shot hero wrote:
Smallville wrote:
well if posts didnt give it away I'm a 1L here so feel free to ask here or PM any questions
Lol yea, I saw that. I just felt weird barraging you. If I get waitlisted or accepted I will come to you, though. Don't wanna hype myself up and then be majorly let down. Notre seems to have batches of decisions come out early December so I hope to be a happy person around then. Although I would like to know whether some of the things I've heard about Notre are true. Is it more conservative than most schools? Will being non-religious make assimilating a little weird? (I grew up Catholic so I'm no stranger to it all)

Long shot hero

Bronze

Post by Long shot hero » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:42 am

*acknowledges irony of asking you stuff after saying that*

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Smallville

Gold

Post by Smallville » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:30 am

Long shot hero wrote:Is it more conservative than most schools? Will being non-religious make assimilating a little weird? (I grew up Catholic so I'm no stranger to it all)
I mean idk if its more conservative than most schools as I don't keep up on how everywhere is lol but it's not a place where you have to seriously avoid certain topics. Most people seem willing to discuss anything as long as you don't hold the "im right, your dumb and wrong" kind of attitude.

and definitely not. While plenty of people will go to mass, not everyone does. Unless someone is super atheist and legit bothered by religion I wouldn't expect any issues. There's crosses in every room and some professors may say a mini prayer to start the class but theres not much more to it

Long shot hero

Bronze

Post by Long shot hero » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:21 pm

Smallville wrote:
Long shot hero wrote:Is it more conservative than most schools? Will being non-religious make assimilating a little weird? (I grew up Catholic so I'm no stranger to it all)
I mean idk if its more conservative than most schools as I don't keep up on how everywhere is lol but it's not a place where you have to seriously avoid certain topics. Most people seem willing to discuss anything as long as you don't hold the "im right, your dumb and wrong" kind of attitude.

and definitely not. While plenty of people will go to mass, not everyone does. Unless someone is super atheist and legit bothered by religion I wouldn't expect any issues. There's crosses in every room and some professors may say a mini prayer to start the class but theres not much more to it
That's nice to know. I'm definitely not that kind of atheist, although I know some like that and to me, it's just ironically closed minded.

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:16 pm

Smallville wrote: well if posts didnt give it away I'm a 1L here so feel free to ask here or PM any questions
What's the social/drinking scene like there? I will go out probably 3 times a week (thursday, friday, tailgate on saturday and go out afterwards)

DoYouEvenTLS

Bronze

Post by DoYouEvenTLS » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:54 pm

Hello all, looking to apply for this upcoming cycle!

I'm fairly new to applications... So the NDLS App is free, but the LSAC NDLS is not free, correct?
What's the difference between the two? Is one app preferred than the other?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UltimateSplitter

Bronze

Post by UltimateSplitter » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:38 pm

DoYouEvenTLS wrote:Hello all, looking to apply for this upcoming cycle!

I'm fairly new to applications... So the NDLS App is free, but the LSAC NDLS is not free, correct?
Request a fee waiver on their website if you prefer LSAC. You can typically get one if you're semi competitive.

DoYouEvenTLS

Bronze

Post by DoYouEvenTLS » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:49 pm

UltimateSplitter wrote:

Request a fee waiver on their website if you prefer LSAC. You can typically get one if you're semi competitive.

Cool. However, let's say one's LSAT is not so stellar with a >75th GPA :lol:

Smallville

Gold

Post by Smallville » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:58 am

fips tedora wrote:
Smallville wrote: well if posts didnt give it away I'm a 1L here so feel free to ask here or PM any questions
What's the social/drinking scene like there? I will go out probably 3 times a week (thursday, friday, tailgate on saturday and go out afterwards)
for the most part I normally just go out Thursdays for bar review and then tailgating saturdays and then out afterwards. Even without games I generally do Thursday/Saturday since I'm not a 3 fan lol did that b4 school started and was rough lol. but people do go out plenty

UltimateSplitter

Bronze

Post by UltimateSplitter » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:03 am

DoYouEvenTLS wrote:
UltimateSplitter wrote:

Cool. However, let's say one's LSAT is not so stellar with a >75th GPA :lol:
It never hurts to inquire. I got one, and believe me, I'm not too quantitatively competitive either. If you look at the LST reports for last year then you'll see that there is some hope.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Torres1893

Bronze

Post by Torres1893 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:08 pm

Met with NDLS reps today at the Houston LSAC Forum. Heard great things about the connections the school has with the local DA's office and government agencies in D.C. and Chicago. School looks beautiful and going back to the Mid-West would be great after living in Houston for the past 5 years.

Definitely going to apply soon.

tofuspeedstar

Platinum

Post by tofuspeedstar » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:51 pm

Also applying. Met with them at lsac Houston forum, good stuff.

trohara14

New

Post by trohara14 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:11 am

Hi! Applied to ND early on September 13. I have a 3.85, and got a 162 on my LSAT. Not as high of a score as I had hoped, but I wanted to get applications in and the person with admissions seemed to think that was the better option as well. Also applied to:

Vanderbilt
University of Michigan - fee waiver
Duke University - early decision
Boston University

Let me know if you have any thoughts or insights.

UltimateSplitter

Bronze

Post by UltimateSplitter » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:25 am

Sorry fellow waiters. I haven't meant to be neglecting the thread. Just checked LSN, and there are still no A/W/D's in their database (besides one where it looks like they deferred from last cycle). So it looks like we get to hang out for November and hopefully begin to see acceptances rolling in in mid December.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Smallville

Gold

Post by Smallville » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:18 pm

incase y'all hadn't gone looking, it looks like last year first wave of Decisions was on 12/8 so y'all will prob have a little more waiting before you can start worrying about when things will get moving

Madiscone

New

Post by Madiscone » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:19 pm

Smallville wrote:
Long shot hero wrote:
Smallville wrote:

Is the DKL essay not just a diversity statement?

Long shot hero

Bronze

Post by Long shot hero » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:21 pm

Madiscone wrote:
Smallville wrote:
Long shot hero wrote:
Smallville wrote:
well if posts didnt give it away I'm a 1L here so feel free to ask here or PM any questions[/quote
Sort of. It also says things like "how your point of view can contribute." I really just used it as an extra essay to talk about some personal stuff. If it was just a diversity statement they would just call it a diversity statement imo, but they seem to really pride themselves on the whole DKL thing.

Smallville

Gold

Post by Smallville » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:22 pm

Madiscone wrote:
no clue lol, it seems to be referred to as not so optional in that everyone should do it but I applied in a second wave of applications and did so pretty quickly and ignored optional essays and just got lucky so never really looked at it... what do they ask for?

eta: so looked it up (assuming I found what they ask for on actual app) it looks like the answer would be sorta? like I said I didn't do it so I probably don't have the best insight but it sounds like it would be a more general diversity statement if that makes sense. Like I view DS as something that you only write if you have something that truly makes you diverse (not good explanation but theres plenty of resources that tell you what you should write one for)
-- dkl essay seems more general, read ND's dkl mission statement and say think what about you and your past, etc. that helps you fit into that mission or something (again, not the best source on this essay)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

UltimateSplitter

Bronze

Post by UltimateSplitter » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:04 pm

Madiscone wrote:
Smallville wrote:
Long shot hero wrote:
Smallville wrote:

It's essentially a diversity statement. They used to have the optional diversity statement and then changed it to the DKL a few years ago (or at least the diversity was taken down and this one was put up incidentally). I chose not to do it since I would have to make some far reaches.

Long shot hero

Bronze

Post by Long shot hero » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:41 pm

Smallville wrote:
Madiscone wrote:
no clue lol, it seems to be referred to as not so optional in that everyone should do it but I applied in a second wave of applications and did so pretty quickly and ignored optional essays and just got lucky so never really looked at it... what do they ask for?

eta: so looked it up (assuming I found what they ask for on actual app) it looks like the answer would be sorta? like I said I didn't do it so I probably don't have the best insight but it sounds like it would be a more general diversity statement if that makes sense. Like I view DS as something that you only write if you have something that truly makes you diverse (not good explanation but theres plenty of resources that tell you what you should write one for)
-- dkl essay seems more general, read ND's dkl mission statement and say think what about you and your past, etc. that helps you fit into that mission or something (again, not the best source on this essay)
I wrote about a specific dynamic within my family that gave me a wide perspective and true sense of understanding. Some may not say it counts but I enjoyed writing it.

Madiscone

New

Post by Madiscone » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:54 pm

Long shot hero wrote:
Smallville wrote:
Madiscone wrote:

I wrote about a specific dynamic within my family that gave me a wide perspective and true sense of understanding. Some may not say it counts but I enjoyed writing it.
I'm a white female from the coast with a solid liberal upbringing... not sure there's anything I can speak to about diversity. But I am worried that I didn't do it since it's 'not so optional.' But I guess I would rather not then try to stretch my experience to something it's not.

Long shot hero

Bronze

Post by Long shot hero » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:04 pm

Madiscone wrote:
Long shot hero wrote:
Smallville wrote:
Madiscone wrote:

As long as you wrote a Why Notre Dame you are probs good.

I'm a white female from the coast with a solid liberal upbringing... not sure there's anything I can speak to about diversity. But I am worried that I didn't do it since it's 'not so optional.' But I guess I would rather not then try to stretch my experience to something it's not.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”