UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What does everyone want to do and where do they wanna do it?

Biglaw!! $$$
89
27%
Public Interest #Berkeley
63
19%
Government
36
11%
Other location (Not NE, midwest, south or Cali)
6
2%
California
58
18%
NYC
29
9%
DC
15
5%
Other North East
9
3%
Midwest
12
4%
South
10
3%
 
Total votes: 327

LawschoolHopeful2k16
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:15 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby LawschoolHopeful2k16 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:04 pm

Does anyone know why Berkeley and Stanford have really high GPA ceilings and seem to place more emphasis on GPA than LSAT?

KatCoco
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:49 am

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby KatCoco » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:45 am

Has anyone who applied for a service fee waiver received it yet?? I submitted the form Sept 1, and nothing. Not even an acknowledgment that they received the form. Frustrating.

warmcherrysoda
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:33 am

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby warmcherrysoda » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:51 am

KatCoco wrote:Has anyone who applied for a service fee waiver received it yet?? I submitted the form Sept 1, and nothing. Not even an acknowledgment that they received the form. Frustrating.


Don't worry. I followed-up and received this response:

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Berkeley Law and for submitting a request for a fee waiver. Review of fee waiver applications will begin the week of September 26. We appreciate your patience while you wait for a response.

All the best,

KatCoco
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:49 am

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby KatCoco » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:10 am

warmcherrysoda wrote:
KatCoco wrote:Has anyone who applied for a service fee waiver received it yet?? I submitted the form Sept 1, and nothing. Not even an acknowledgment that they received the form. Frustrating.


Don't worry. I followed-up and received this response:

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Berkeley Law and for submitting a request for a fee waiver. Review of fee waiver applications will begin the week of September 26. We appreciate your patience while you wait for a response.

All the best,


Ah I see. Thanks for the info!

User avatar
RictusErectus
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:31 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby RictusErectus » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:34 am

Checking in! Looking forward to that 4-page PS :|

hale95
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:00 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby hale95 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:43 am

Has anyone's application gone complete yet? Mine has been "received" since 9/2.

User avatar
Baby Gaga
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:07 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Baby Gaga » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:17 pm

RictusErectus wrote:Checking in! Looking forward to that 4-page PS :|


It's not fun. I'm trying to pad my 2 page one and I'm struggling. It basically looks like four pages that need editing

User avatar
RamTitan
Posts: 1064
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby RamTitan » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:35 pm

RictusErectus wrote:Checking in! Looking forward to that 4-page PS :|

Does it need to be 4 pages? I'd much rather submit a strong 2 page personal statement rather than a padded one

ProductofUnreality
Posts: 425
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:29 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ProductofUnreality » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:49 pm

LawschoolHopeful2k16 wrote:Does anyone know why Berkeley and Stanford have really high GPA ceilings and seem to place more emphasis on GPA than LSAT?


Berkeley is a very liberal school and as such believes that GPA is a better determinant of ability than a standardized test. Might be the same for Stanford, but I haven't spoken to any faculty or alumni from there about it.

whatupbrobro
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:25 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby whatupbrobro » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:29 pm

checking in!

LawschoolHopeful2k16
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:15 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby LawschoolHopeful2k16 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:13 pm

ProductofUnreality wrote:
LawschoolHopeful2k16 wrote:Does anyone know why Berkeley and Stanford have really high GPA ceilings and seem to place more emphasis on GPA than LSAT?


Berkeley is a very liberal school and as such believes that GPA is a better determinant of ability than a standardized test. Might be the same for Stanford, but I haven't spoken to any faculty or alumni from there about it.


I was also thinking that some of it would be due to the possibility that there are A+s at stanford and there might be A+ s at UC and other CA schools. Plus there might be grade inflation or something around there.

shoparoundthecorner
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:54 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby shoparoundthecorner » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:28 pm

RamTitan wrote:
RictusErectus wrote:Checking in! Looking forward to that 4-page PS :|

Does it need to be 4 pages? I'd much rather submit a strong 2 page personal statement rather than a padded one


Wondering a similar thing. My personal statement is now a little over two pages. I'm very happy with it and have spent a lot of time polishing it. Is four pages an unofficial requirement?

KatCoco
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:49 am

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby KatCoco » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:38 pm

shoparoundthecorner wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
RictusErectus wrote:Checking in! Looking forward to that 4-page PS :|

Does it need to be 4 pages? I'd much rather submit a strong 2 page personal statement rather than a padded one


Wondering a similar thing. My personal statement is now a little over two pages. I'm very happy with it and have spent a lot of time polishing it. Is four pages an unofficial requirement?


My thinking is that since they've added a "Why Berkeley" essay prompt (first time ever), the four page length isn't as important as it used to be. They previously emphasized talking about why you want to go to Berkeley in your PS, but that obviously doesn't apply anymore.

User avatar
USayinBoalt
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby USayinBoalt » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:42 pm

shoparoundthecorner wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
RictusErectus wrote:Checking in! Looking forward to that 4-page PS :|

Does it need to be 4 pages? I'd much rather submit a strong 2 page personal statement rather than a padded one


Wondering a similar thing. My personal statement is now a little over two pages. I'm very happy with it and have spent a lot of time polishing it. Is four pages an unofficial requirement?


It doesn't necessarily have to be 4 pages. I think Berk does this to gauge your interest in the school just like Stanford does with the targeted letters of rec. If you can write an awesome PS that is 2 pages then keep it at 2. Quality over quantity

shoparoundthecorner
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:54 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby shoparoundthecorner » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:48 pm

KatCoco wrote:
shoparoundthecorner wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
RictusErectus wrote:Checking in! Looking forward to that 4-page PS :|

Does it need to be 4 pages? I'd much rather submit a strong 2 page personal statement rather than a padded one


Wondering a similar thing. My personal statement is now a little over two pages. I'm very happy with it and have spent a lot of time polishing it. Is four pages an unofficial requirement?


My thinking is that since they've added a "Why Berkeley" essay prompt (first time ever), the four page length isn't as important as it used to be. They previously emphasized talking about why you want to go to Berkeley in your PS, but that obviously doesn't apply anymore.


Thanks for the reply! I don't think I'm doing the Why Berkeley because I've already geared the PS to Berkeley (my reasons for wanting to go there are connected to what I wrote about in the PS, so it seemed more natural to put them in the same place.) I'll give it some thought though.

User avatar
zeglo
Posts: 688
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby zeglo » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:25 pm

When do decisions go out initially? November?

I just submitted today.

User avatar
Assasindowntheavenue
Posts: 627
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:59 pm

Received email today that app is under review.

User avatar
SilverSurfer2020
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:50 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby SilverSurfer2020 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:00 pm

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:Received email today that app is under review.


same, probably under review for a scary long time though

User avatar
Assasindowntheavenue
Posts: 627
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:11 pm

SilverSurfer2020 wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:Received email today that app is under review.


same, probably under review for a scary long time though


Yeah earliest admit I've seen is November. Which is technically a month away but still goddamn long.

ProductofUnreality
Posts: 425
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:29 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ProductofUnreality » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:01 pm

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
SilverSurfer2020 wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:Received email today that app is under review.


same, probably under review for a scary long time though


Yeah earliest admit I've seen is November. Which is technically a month away but still goddamn long.


Got that email as well. Last year I was UR for a while.

User avatar
Assasindowntheavenue
Posts: 627
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:12 pm

ProductofUnreality wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
SilverSurfer2020 wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:Received email today that app is under review.


same, probably under review for a scary long time though


Yeah earliest admit I've seen is November. Which is technically a month away but still goddamn long.


Got that email as well. Last year I was UR for a while.


Mind saying how long?

ProductofUnreality
Posts: 425
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:29 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ProductofUnreality » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:04 pm

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
ProductofUnreality wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
SilverSurfer2020 wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:Received email today that app is under review.


same, probably under review for a scary long time though


Yeah earliest admit I've seen is November. Which is technically a month away but still goddamn long.


Got that email as well. Last year I was UR for a while.


Mind saying how long?


Don't remember exactly. Couple of months at least and I applied late December.

User avatar
zeglo
Posts: 688
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby zeglo » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:48 pm

It seems with just a 166 LSAT median that Berkeley is a bit random, but I would think that people above both medians still have a high chance, right? I wrote a nice Why essay and everything. I am above or at 75th.

oliviaj_j
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:50 am

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby oliviaj_j » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:02 am

Under review as of yesterday!

User avatar
dietcoke1
Posts: 728
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby dietcoke1 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:34 pm

anyone request a fee waiver through their online form? how long does it take for them to respond?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 2000andBeyond, aalvez, between3characters, KeeshyCarey0909, lmcghee, StopLawying and 17 guests