UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What does everyone want to do and where do they wanna do it?

Biglaw!! $$$
28%
Public Interest #Berkeley
20%
Government
10%
Other location (Not NE, midwest, south or Cali)
2%
California
17%
NYC
9%
DC
5%
Other North East
2%
Midwest
3%
South
3%

Total votes: 418

amaria

New

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by amaria » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:09 pm

Curious to know if anyone submitted a reconsideration request and it did not go the way they wanted. Also curious, if submitting a reconsideration guarantees a response? Like will the school come back and say "we can't offer you anything," or just leave you hanging? Any anecdotes that can speak to this?

Much obliged.

gargleblaster

Bronze

Post by gargleblaster » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:26 pm

amaria wrote:Curious to know if anyone submitted a reconsideration request and it did not go the way they wanted. Also curious, if submitting a reconsideration guarantees a response? Like will the school come back and say "we can't offer you anything," or just leave you hanging? Any anecdotes that can speak to this?

Much obliged.
I submitted a request and they came back with an amount pretty close to what i asked for.

I had leverage on them tho - so i basically just asked them to match so i could justify attendance.

I'm pretty sure they will get back to you - especially if you give them a date to get back to you by, even if you don't get more money. All schools I've pressured do this.

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:32 pm

gargleblaster wrote:
amaria wrote:Curious to know if anyone submitted a reconsideration request and it did not go the way they wanted. Also curious, if submitting a reconsideration guarantees a response? Like will the school come back and say "we can't offer you anything," or just leave you hanging? Any anecdotes that can speak to this?

Much obliged.
I submitted a request and they came back with an amount pretty close to what i asked for.

I had leverage on them tho - so i basically just asked them to match so i could justify attendance.

I'm pretty sure they will get back to you - especially if you give them a date to get back to you by, even if you don't get more money. All schools I've pressured do this.
when is the deadline to email reconsiderations? I want to do it, but don't have enough time right now to put together a detailed message. I tentatively accepted.

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:39 pm

Keilz wrote:
gargleblaster wrote:

Much obliged.

when is the deadline to email reconsiderations? I want to do it, but don't have enough time right now to put together a detailed message. I tentatively accepted.
May 1st I believe

gargleblaster

Bronze

Post by gargleblaster » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:39 pm

Keilz wrote:
gargleblaster wrote:

Much obliged.

The reconsideration process will take place March 15-May 1. While you may submit a request before March 15, the matching@law inbox will not be opened prior to that date, and no action will be taken on your request. Please do not expect to receive any correspondence regarding your request before March 21 at the earliest.

Reconsideration requests will not be deemed timely if submitted after May 1. Only one reconsideration request will be considered per admitted student. Choose wisely!

If you have accepted a Berkeley Law scholarship, then you may not request reconsideration unless you receive a new scholarship offer from a law school where you were not admitted prior to your accepting our offer.

You will be notified via email if your reconsideration request is approved or denied. The email will serve as your updated offer; a new award letter will not be generated.

https://www.law.berkeley.edu/admitted-s ... holarship/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:41 pm

gargleblaster wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote: helpful info
TY!!

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:46 pm

Keilz wrote:
gargleblaster wrote:

Much obliged.

Would recommend not rushing and waiting until you can put together a detailed message, FWIW. From my experience (and the experiences of others ITT), they really seem to respond best to a detailed, personal, and genuine email re: why Berk. And they responded to my request very quickly, so I don't think you necessarily need to worry about submitting something a little later (this may vary depending on the request/circumstances though).

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:54 pm

NotAGolfer wrote:
Keilz wrote:
gargleblaster wrote:

Much obliged.

Would recommend not rushing and waiting until you can put together a detailed message, FWIW. From my experience (and the experiences of others ITT), they really seem to respond best to a detailed, personal, and genuine email re: why Berk. And they responded to my request very quickly, so I don't think you necessarily need to worry about submitting something a little later (this may vary depending on the request/circumstances though).
thanks! very good to know.

gargleblaster

Bronze

Post by gargleblaster » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:55 pm

Keilz wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:
Keilz wrote:
gargleblaster wrote:

Much obliged.

seconded on the thoughtful request is best.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

amaria

New

Post by amaria » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:06 pm

gargleblaster wrote:
Keilz wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:
Keilz wrote:
gargleblaster wrote:

Much obliged.

seconded on the thoughtful request is best.
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the feedback on this!

rizzlebizness

Bronze

Post by rizzlebizness » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:08 pm

NotAGolfer wrote:
Keilz wrote:
gargleblaster wrote:

Much obliged.

I'm an idiot and did not give them a heads up on deposit deadlines for other schools (4/22...). I submitted my request last Thursday and haven't heard back yet (a little early still I'm sure). Do you think it would be beneficial for me to reply to my email and give them a date to respond? Orrrrrr if I don't hear back by early next week, I could always email the 4/22 school and ask for an extension on the deposit deadline?

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:33 pm

rizzlebizness wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:
Keilz wrote:
gargleblaster wrote:

Much obliged.

I'm an idiot and did not give them a heads up on deposit deadlines for other schools (4/22...). I submitted my request last Thursday and haven't heard back yet (a little early still I'm sure). Do you think it would be beneficial for me to reply to my email and give them a date to respond? Orrrrrr if I don't hear back by early next week, I could always email the 4/22 school and ask for an extension on the deposit deadline?
I would email Kristin Theis-Alvarez directly about the deadline, just to be safe. You could wait a few more days before doing this though. I might wait till Friday if I were you (that way they've had a week to respond).

rizzlebizness

Bronze

Post by rizzlebizness » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:57 am

NotAGolfer wrote:
rizzlebizness wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:
Keilz wrote:
gargleblaster wrote:

Much obliged.

I would email Kristin Theis-Alvarez directly about the deadline, just to be safe. You could wait a few more days before doing this though. I might wait till Friday if I were you (that way they've had a week to respond).
I agree on waiting until Friday. I think that's a sound strategy, thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

badlefthook

New

Post by badlefthook » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:20 am

Much obliged.
I hadn't heard anything from Berkeley about merit $. Emailed them yesterday to see if they'd offer me anything, because April 21 deadlines were approaching for me to accept other offers. They responded to me last night that offers would be coming out officially next week, but in the interest of time, they hit me with the offer, which blew me away because it was significantly more than I received from any school, even UCLA. I'm wondering if the drop in rankings has put them in more of a generous mood.

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:29 am

Guys Reconsideration Requests Work Very Well (small sample size but thats all we got) !

1. Yes they do respond, even if denied.
2. They offered me $20K annually, I asked for $45K, they gave me $50K after the reconsideration request.
3. Responses did take like two weeks

Faculty at Berkeley did not like that they were being so conservative with their offers so they wisely told me that, "your (my) advocacy starts today" and to keep pressing.

As it stands I am undecided but it looks like I will be withdrawing from Cal and going to NU.

Best Guys!

badlefthook

New

Post by badlefthook » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:36 am

btruj777 wrote:Guys Reconsideration Requests Work Very Well (small sample size but thats all we got) !

2. They offered me $20K annually, I asked for $45K, they gave me $50K after the reconsideration request.

Faculty at Berkeley did not like that they were being so conservative with their offers so they wisely told me that, "your (my) advocacy starts today" and to keep pressing.

As it stands I am undecided but it looks like I will be withdrawing from Cal and going to NU.

Best Guys!
$50k annually as in free tuition?? Wow congratulations that is incredible.

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:49 am

badlefthook wrote:
btruj777 wrote:Guys Reconsideration Requests Work Very Well (small sample size but thats all we got) !

Best Guys!
Thank you, I know the resident rate is slightly under $50k per year and that the non-resident rate is slightly above. But I think you can get Cal residency within a year through the UC system.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Post by Assasindowntheavenue » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:17 pm

Withdrew. Good luck y'all.

gargleblaster

Bronze

Post by gargleblaster » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:05 pm

btruj777 wrote:
badlefthook wrote:

Best Guys!
Thank you, I know the resident rate is slightly under $50k per year and that the non-resident rate is slightly above. But I think you can get Cal residency within a year through the UC system.

Dont forget the thousands of dollars in mandatory student fees that berkeley levies on you

AllHailKingMao

Bronze

Post by AllHailKingMao » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:50 pm

gargleblaster wrote:
btruj777 wrote:
badlefthook wrote:

Best Guys!

Dont forget the thousands of dollars in mandatory student fees that berkeley levies on you
I submitted a reconsideration request last week because I have a scholarship deadline at another school but haven't even received a confirmation email.. Idk what to do now? Any advice?

I also checked CalCentral and saw that I've been offered $0 in aid.. is this the final offer? I'm so confused.

gargleblaster

Bronze

Post by gargleblaster » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:56 pm

AllHailKingMao wrote:
gargleblaster wrote:
btruj777 wrote:
badlefthook wrote:

Best Guys!

I submitted a reconsideration request last week because I have a scholarship deadline at another school but haven't even received a confirmation email.. Idk what to do now? Any advice?

I also checked CalCentral and saw that I've been offered $0 in aid.. is this the final offer? I'm so confused.
call them on the phone

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:00 pm

AllHailKingMao wrote:
gargleblaster wrote:
btruj777 wrote:
badlefthook wrote:

Best Guys!

Do not worry about what CalCentral says atm, worry about getting things in writing saying "we are gonna give you X money" all that CalCentral stuff can be fixed later. In my confirmation email I got this:

"If you have a deadline at another school that is fewer than 7 business days from the date you submitted the online form, please contact Kristin Theis-Alvarez (ktalvarez@law.berkeley.edu) with this information directly."

Hopefully this helps!

rwajo12

New

Post by rwajo12 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:13 pm

chandhi wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:
chandhi wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:Has anyone who was put on Hold, heard back yet?
No but I was thinking we should all start being anxious together again and take over this thread starting next Monday
I've been anxious since we all got that hold email way back when. Down for thread takeover though. :lol:
CALLING ALL HELD PEOPLE: Starting next Monday, April 17, we take back our thread. We have waited long and hard. We will not go down without a fight. Let us join forces and shitpost until the day we are accepted with significant scholarship money. May we all storm the gates of the castle with our acceptance letters come fall.

This is our mission. Join me.

Hahah lets do it guys!! hoping no one gets dinged, after making us wait for so long.

lilikoillama

New

Post by lilikoillama » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:07 pm

rwajo12 wrote:
chandhi wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:
chandhi wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:Has anyone who was put on Hold, heard back yet?
No but I was thinking we should all start being anxious together again and take over this thread starting next Monday
I've been anxious since we all got that hold email way back when. Down for thread takeover though. :lol:
CALLING ALL HELD PEOPLE: Starting next Monday, April 17, we take back our thread. We have waited long and hard. We will not go down without a fight. Let us join forces and shitpost until the day we are accepted with significant scholarship money. May we all storm the gates of the castle with our acceptance letters come fall.

Hahah lets do it guys!! hoping no one gets dinged, after making us wait for so long.

It has gotten to the point that every time I see someone withdraw from Berkeley on LSN I get really excited because I'm like "yay more space for me". Plzzzzz accept us Berk. We've been so patient! :cry:

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:29 am

lilikoillama wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
chandhi wrote:

It has gotten to the point that every time I see someone withdraw from Berkeley on LSN I get really excited because I'm like "yay more space for me". Plzzzzz accept us Berk. We've been so patient! :cry:
Initial enrollment intent due tomorrow at 5 PM PST. It's almost our time, people.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”