UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What does everyone want to do and where do they wanna do it?

Biglaw!! $$$
28%
Public Interest #Berkeley
20%
Government
10%
Other location (Not NE, midwest, south or Cali)
2%
California
17%
NYC
9%
DC
5%
Other North East
2%
Midwest
3%
South
3%

Total votes: 418

goldenbear2020

Silver

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by goldenbear2020 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:50 am

chandhi wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
chandhi wrote:

CALLING ALL HELD PEOPLE: Starting next Monday, April 17, we take back our thread. We have waited long and hard. We will not go down without a fight. Let us join forces and shitpost until the day we are accepted with significant scholarship money. May we all storm the gates of the castle with our acceptance letters come fall.

This is our mission. Join me.

Hahah lets do it guys!! hoping no one gets dinged, after making us wait for so long.

It has gotten to the point that every time I see someone withdraw from Berkeley on LSN I get really excited because I'm like "yay more space for me". Plzzzzz accept us Berk. We've been so patient! :cry:
Initial enrollment intent due tomorrow at 5 PM PST. It's almost our time, people.
Tentative enrollment...you can delay your final decision until June 1. :D

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:53 am

goldenbear2020 wrote:
chandhi wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
chandhi wrote:

CALLING ALL HELD PEOPLE: Starting next Monday, April 17, we take back our thread. We have waited long and hard. We will not go down without a fight. Let us join forces and shitpost until the day we are accepted with significant scholarship money. May we all storm the gates of the castle with our acceptance letters come fall.

Hahah lets do it guys!! hoping no one gets dinged, after making us wait for so long.

It has gotten to the point that every time I see someone withdraw from Berkeley on LSN I get really excited because I'm like "yay more space for me". Plzzzzz accept us Berk. We've been so patient! :cry:
Initial enrollment intent due tomorrow at 5 PM PST. It's almost our time, people.
Right but we're supposed to back before June 1 so I'm thinking the initial/tentative enrollment #s are gonna make the decisions for us :)

crookedsmile

Bronze

Post by crookedsmile » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:08 pm

Withdrew from Berkeley, sad day as it was my alma mater. Good luck to those waitlisted and those trying to negotiate!

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Post by HonestlyThough » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:49 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:
chandhi wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
chandhi wrote:

It's truly tentative, right? Like they won't tell other schools? I'm still considering Berkely alongside several other places. I emailed and they said doing the tentative option was like getting an extension. I just want to make sure this isn't reported somewhere?

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:55 pm

HonestlyThough wrote:
goldenbear2020 wrote:
chandhi wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
chandhi wrote:

It's truly tentative, right? Like they won't tell other schools? I'm still considering Berkely alongside several other places. I emailed and they said doing the tentative option was like getting an extension. I just want to make sure this isn't reported somewhere?
Right, the June 1 deadline is to indicate you're promising to enroll there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Post by HonestlyThough » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:12 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
goldenbear2020 wrote:
chandhi wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
chandhi wrote:

Right, the June 1 deadline is to indicate you're promising to enroll there.
Thanks!

rwajo12

New

Post by rwajo12 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:36 am

lilikoillama wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
chandhi wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:
chandhi wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:Has anyone who was put on Hold, heard back yet?
No but I was thinking we should all start being anxious together again and take over this thread starting next Monday
I've been anxious since we all got that hold email way back when. Down for thread takeover though. :lol:

that is so me!! haha, lets hope more people withdraw by May first.

genjustice

New

Post by genjustice » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:50 pm

Anyone receive word on the Phoenix Fellowship yet?

annazork

New

Post by annazork » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:29 am

genjustice wrote:Anyone receive word on the Phoenix Fellowship yet?
not yet! hopefully, much like all of berkeley's self-imposed deadlines, "early april" means that we still have time

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:26 pm

rwajo12 wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
chandhi wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:
chandhi wrote:
No but I was thinking we should all start being anxious together again and take over this thread starting next Monday
I've been anxious since we all got that hold email way back when. Down for thread takeover though. :lol:

Withdrew with half tuition. Hope that gets passed on to one of you!

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:38 am

rwajo12 wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
chandhi wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:
chandhi wrote:

IT IS TIME. We can hear back any day now. Anyone want to engage in speculation re: timing of our decisions? I feel like there will be a decent-sized wave of acceptances in the next week or two, then hopefully acceptances trickling in after, then all remaining held apps waitlisted at the end of May.

lilikoillama

New

Post by lilikoillama » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:03 pm

chandhi wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
chandhi wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:
chandhi wrote: No but I was thinking we should all start being anxious together again and take over this thread starting next Monday

IT IS TIME. We can hear back any day now. Anyone want to engage in speculation re: timing of our decisions? I feel like there will be a decent-sized wave of acceptances in the next week or two, then hopefully acceptances trickling in after, then all remaining held apps waitlisted at the end of May.
Mmmmmm based on Berkeley's previous issues with meeting their original deadlines, I'm gonna say we're not gonna hear anything until like mid-May. I HOPE I'm wrong, but they've been late on like every deadline they've set for themselves this app season. :cry:

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:07 pm

lilikoillama wrote:
chandhi wrote:
Mmmmmm based on Berkeley's previous issues with meeting their original deadlines, I'm gonna say we're not gonna hear anything until like mid-May. I HOPE I'm wrong, but they've been late on like every deadline they've set for themselves this app season. :cry:
I would agree but it also seems like they've been prompt and generous with scholarship renegs... so maybe low yield so far? They could be desperate to get people in the door, and they have to know deposit deadlines are approaching quickly. If you're right about deadlines, though, we're going to hear mid-June haha. I stalked past cycles on LSN and got super bitter when I saw the final decision dates of previous years.

Thanks for anxiously speculating with me lol.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lilikoillama

New

Post by lilikoillama » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:27 pm

chandhi wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:
chandhi wrote:
I would agree but it also seems like they've been prompt and generous with scholarship renegs... so maybe low yield so far? They could be desperate to get people in the door, and they have to know deposit deadlines are approaching quickly. If you're right about deadlines, though, we're going to hear mid-June haha. I stalked past cycles on LSN and got super bitter when I saw the final decision dates of previous years.

Ah I didn't even think about the scholly renegs, possible desperation! that is very true haha okay maybe there is a chance that we can hear back soon-ish, especially if people keep withdrawing.
omg do I even want to ask what previous years final decision dates were :shock: what were they?

and of course! We gotta stick through this together or we'll go mad hahah

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:43 pm

I am in the double digit days since asking for a scholarship so not as prompt as you'd think

sandyeggo

New

Post by sandyeggo » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:59 pm

Heard back the hours after sending in my scholarship negotiation email (was never offered money before this) and received an offer for more than the number I asked for, so they can definitely be timely when they need to be

amaria

New

Post by amaria » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:17 pm

Hi All - Does anyone have any information on how Berkeley does placing grads in Big Law in Los Angeles?

I think I may want to be there after graduation, and I am concerned that Berkeley doesn't carry the same weight in LA as UCLA or USC would. I know this sounds crazy, but my LinkedIn research isn't quelling my fear that if you want to work in LA, you may be better served by attending UCLA or USC than Berkeley.

Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:38 pm

lilikoillama wrote:
chandhi wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:
chandhi wrote:

Ah I didn't even think about the scholly renegs, possible desperation! that is very true haha okay maybe there is a chance that we can hear back soon-ish, especially if people keep withdrawing.
omg do I even want to ask what previous years final decision dates were :shock: what were they?

Last few years even the final few stragglers had heard back by the end of March, with last year being the exception and a few dates listed as 4/5. We're so lucky. :roll:

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:38 pm

sandyeggo wrote:Heard back the hours after sending in my scholarship negotiation email (was never offered money before this) and received an offer for more than the number I asked for, so they can definitely be timely when they need to be
I've seen a lot of this lately, which is wonderful. Congrats!!!

LHS17

Bronze

Post by LHS17 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:45 pm

Withdrew

rwajo12

New

Post by rwajo12 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:00 pm

lilikoillama wrote:
chandhi wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:
chandhi wrote:

I also have a feeling we're gonna truly hear back around June 1st. But then again, apps are apparently low across the board everywhere, so fingers crossed!!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lilikoillama

New

Post by lilikoillama » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:24 pm

rwajo12 wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:
chandhi wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:
chandhi wrote:

I also have a feeling we're gonna truly hear back around June 1st. But then again, apps are apparently low across the board everywhere, so fingers crossed!!!
Did you guys send LOCIs? / Did any other held people send LOCIs? Even though they said in that initial email they didn't need anything else from us, I'm tempted just as a "don't forget about me, I still want you!".

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:30 pm

lilikoillama wrote: Did you guys send LOCIs? / Did any other held people send LOCIs? Even though they said in that initial email they didn't need anything else from us, I'm tempted just as a "don't forget about me, I still want you!".
I sent a video of me singing about social justice issues and how much I want to live in The Bae Area

msperception

New

Post by msperception » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:10 pm

I did reconsideration and they came back with $0. I'm at or above both medians. Any advice? (because of a giant family screwup, I didn't initially apply for aid, just through reconsideration.) I've sent a grovelling email to the head of financial aid asking to be considered again, but any other tips?

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:10 pm

Received a call from Berkeley, CA today while I was busy, but I got no message. Only call I've ever received from there. Anyone have any clue what it could have been?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”