UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What does everyone want to do and where do they wanna do it?

Biglaw!! $$$
28%
Public Interest #Berkeley
20%
Government
10%
Other location (Not NE, midwest, south or Cali)
2%
California
17%
NYC
9%
DC
5%
Other North East
2%
Midwest
3%
South
3%

Total votes: 418

AllHailKingMao

Bronze

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by AllHailKingMao » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:49 pm

dmc1275 wrote:Anyone heard anything regarding schollies lately? Seems pretty silent in this regard.
Nope, I'm still waiting on mine. I sent the FAFSA a while ago but haven't submitted a CSS Profile-- could that be delaying it?

Sadnessandmisfortune

New

Post by Sadnessandmisfortune » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:53 pm

AllHailKingMao wrote:
dmc1275 wrote:Anyone heard anything regarding schollies lately? Seems pretty silent in this regard.
Nope, I'm still waiting on mine. I sent the FAFSA a while ago but haven't submitted a CSS Profile-- could that be delaying it?
Yes, you need to submit the CSS profile for scholarship consideration. I believe FAFSA is primarily for federal loans. But regardless, you need both.

AllHailKingMao

Bronze

Post by AllHailKingMao » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:01 pm

Sadnessandmisfortune wrote:
AllHailKingMao wrote:
Yes, you need to submit the CSS profile for scholarship consideration. I believe FAFSA is primarily for federal loans. But regardless, you need both.
Wow I didn't know that! Thanks, I'll get on it now!

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:02 pm

AllHailKingMao wrote:
My understanding is that FAFSA is required for federal loans and FAFSA+CSS is required for need-based aid. But neither is required for merit-only scholarships.

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:05 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:
AllHailKingMao wrote:
My understanding is that FAFSA is required for federal loans and FAFSA+CSS is required for need-based aid. But neither is required for merit-only scholarships.
This is correct. I emailed financial aid to confirm that if I was applying for merit-only scholarships, I did not need to send anything else, and they said that was correct. CSS is not needed for merit-only scholarships.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LHS17

Bronze

Post by LHS17 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:07 pm

airwrecka wrote:
goldenbear2020 wrote:
AllHailKingMao wrote:
This is correct. I emailed financial aid to confirm that if I was applying for merit-only scholarships, I did not need to send anything else, and they said that was correct. CSS is not needed for merit-only scholarships.
I also confirmed this with the fin aid office by phone

dmc1275

New

Post by dmc1275 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:08 pm

Appreciate the confirmation everyone! Good to know I don't need to do anything else on the merit-based piece.

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Post by Assasindowntheavenue » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:21 pm

Pretty sure Berkeley packed it up and quit after the first wave of scholly offers lol.

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:24 pm

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
Pretty sure Berkeley packed it up and quit after the first wave of scholly offers lol.
Hahaha pretty much. but I'm still hoping.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

calpolisci2016

Bronze

Post by calpolisci2016 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:17 pm

AllHailKingMao wrote:
AllHailKingMao wrote:
You should submit one anyway just in case, but I've been in conversation with the fin aid office and they said it's way too late in the cycle to be submitting CSS info now. I submitted mine late February and I've been told that at this point, need-based aid has been exhausted and I shouldn't expect anything.

It's a bummer to hear because I had no idea I should've submitted my fin aid info as early as it opened (nov, December?). So now I'm looking at paying sticker even though I have a genuine financial need. :/

AllHailKingMao

Bronze

Post by AllHailKingMao » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:45 pm

calpolisci2016 wrote:
AllHailKingMao wrote:
AllHailKingMao wrote:
You should submit one anyway just in case, but I've been in conversation with the fin aid office and they said it's way too late in the cycle to be submitting CSS info now. I submitted mine late February and I've been told that at this point, need-based aid has been exhausted and I shouldn't expect anything.

It's a bummer to hear because I had no idea I should've submitted my fin aid info as early as it opened (nov, December?). So now I'm looking at paying sticker even though I have a genuine financial need. :/
What? We were supposed to submit information in December to a school we didn't know if we'd even get into in order to be considered for financial need aid? That doesn't seem to make sense. I have genuine need too, and won't be able to go without it.

calpolisci2016

Bronze

Post by calpolisci2016 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:52 pm

AllHailKingMao wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:
AllHailKingMao wrote:
AllHailKingMao wrote:

What? We were supposed to submit information in December to a school we didn't know if we'd even get into in order to be considered for financial need aid? That doesn't seem to make sense. I have genuine need too, and won't be able to go without it.
Looks like we are on the same boat. Let me know how they respond to you because I'd love to be wrong or if there is any other way to go about it.

Sadnessandmisfortune

New

Post by Sadnessandmisfortune » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:35 pm

calpolisci2016 wrote:
AllHailKingMao wrote:
AllHailKingMao wrote:

Wait, seriously? That's really stupid. No one with a genuine financial need is gonna waste money on the application if we don't even know we've been accepted.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LHS17

Bronze

Post by LHS17 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:29 pm

Can someone confirm the name of the admitted student Facebook group? Having trouble finding.

gizmo1024

Bronze

Post by gizmo1024 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:39 pm

chandhi wrote:
gizmo1024 wrote:
chandhi wrote:"I write to inform you that your application has been selected for inclusion in a small group that is being held while undergoing further consideration. We anticipate that a final decision will be shared with you sometime between mid-April and June 1, 2017"
Got this email too :( So, I'm guessing this is WL? Anyone know how big this group is?
It seems like other people have gotten explicitly waitlisted. I'm not sure what this means. My status checker still says UR 2/6.

But the timeline makes sense for a waitlist.
A friend called to ask what this "small group" means and was told it's not a WL since we're still being considered. I'm unsure whether they would react positively to a LOCI because the email states, "There is nothing further you need to do at this time." Really kicking myself for not writing a Why Berkeley.

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:47 pm

gizmo1024 wrote:
chandhi wrote:
gizmo1024 wrote:
chandhi wrote:"I write to inform you that your application has been selected for inclusion in a small group that is being held while undergoing further consideration. We anticipate that a final decision will be shared with you sometime between mid-April and June 1, 2017"
Got this email too :( So, I'm guessing this is WL? Anyone know how big this group is?
It seems like other people have gotten explicitly waitlisted. I'm not sure what this means. My status checker still says UR 2/6.

A friend called to ask what this "small group" means and was told it's not a WL since we're still being considered. I'm unsure whether they would react positively to a LOCI because the email states, "There is nothing further you need to do at this time." Really kicking myself for not writing a Why Berkeley.
If you search this thread, the language in that email is almost identical to that used for Faculty Review. I honestly think we still have a shot.

I'm not sure about the LOCI though. I don't think they would disqualify you because of it, but Berkeley does seem to give the impression that they don't want anything added to our files.

gizmo1024

Bronze

Post by gizmo1024 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:50 pm

chandhi wrote:
gizmo1024 wrote:
chandhi wrote:
gizmo1024 wrote:

If you search this thread, the language in that email is almost identical to that used for Faculty Review. I honestly think we still have a shot.

I'm not sure about the LOCI though. I don't think they would disqualify you because of it, but Berkeley does seem to give the impression that they don't want anything added to our files.
Dope. Well, I'm just going to sit tight then. Sending good vibes your way!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:55 pm

gizmo1024 wrote:
Dope. Well, I'm just going to sit tight then. Sending good vibes your way!
Right back at you and see you on this thread sometime between April and June haha 8)

annazork

New

Post by annazork » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:08 am

what are the chances we hear about schollys today? they said March 20 in the email?

dmc1275

New

Post by dmc1275 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:21 am

annazork wrote:what are the chances we hear about schollys today? they said March 20 in the email?
Given that it's ASW and they released a round of schollys on Sunday night EST before, I'd say slim to none :(. Hope I'm proven wrong though.

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:22 am

dmc1275 wrote:
annazork wrote:what are the chances we hear about schollys today? they said March 20 in the email?
Given that it's ASW and they released a round of schollys on Sunday night EST before, I'd say slim to none :(. Hope I'm proven wrong though.
Someone here at ASW went to their financial aid info session and they said march 20th wasn't happening

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

EWofNell

Bronze

Post by EWofNell » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:24 pm

So I just took a look on the C/O 2019 Applicants thread and they were saying that for the C/O 2018 Berkeley didn't take anyone off the waitlist. There were a few comments speculating as to if they would take any off the waitlist last year and then the comments stop and no one reports that they made it off the waitlist. Does anyone know if they really didn't take any off the waitlist last year?

Sort of surprised bc data I had found from 2014 said that in the several years prior to 2014 Berk took like 25-30% off their waitlist each year. I guess I'm wondering what changed so drastically..

Berkeley is my dream school low key

4'sup

New

Post by 4'sup » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:52 pm

If anyone is going to ASW, please let me know what they said about aid at the financial aid info session. I'd love to attend but i have heard nothing about money and it's getting bothersome.

LikelyThrowaway

Bronze

Post by LikelyThrowaway » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:33 pm

4'sup wrote:If anyone is going to ASW, please let me know what they said about aid at the financial aid info session. I'd love to attend but i have heard nothing about money and it's getting bothersome.

Secondhand (I'm at ASW but didn't go to the fin aid session): they said scholarships will be out by the end of the month. Pretty much everyone I talked to there hadn't yet heard anything, so don't worry about that.

ASW was awesome by the way!

calpolisci2016

Bronze

Post by calpolisci2016 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:52 pm

LikelyThrowaway wrote:
4'sup wrote:If anyone is going to ASW, please let me know what they said about aid at the financial aid info session. I'd love to attend but i have heard nothing about money and it's getting bothersome.

Secondhand (I'm at ASW but didn't go to the fin aid session): they said scholarships will be out by the end of the month. Pretty much everyone I talked to there hadn't yet heard anything, so don't worry about that.

ASW was awesome by the way!
If there's time and an opportunity to do so, do you mind confirming in person whether need-based aid is exhausted and if students who submitted their CSS relatively later in the cyvle will likely not receive any need-based aid? Thanks in advance.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”