UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What does everyone want to do and where do they wanna do it?

Biglaw!! $$$
28%
Public Interest #Berkeley
20%
Government
10%
Other location (Not NE, midwest, south or Cali)
2%
California
17%
NYC
9%
DC
5%
Other North East
2%
Midwest
3%
South
3%

Total votes: 418

redrebel

New

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by redrebel » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:39 am

msperception wrote:I did reconsideration and they came back with $0. I'm at or above both medians. Any advice? (because of a giant family screwup, I didn't initially apply for aid, just through reconsideration.) I've sent a grovelling email to the head of financial aid asking to be considered again, but any other tips?
The same happened to me, even with an offer from Michigan. Feeling a bit low about it as Berkeley is my top choice. Any advice is appreciated!

redrebel

New

Post by redrebel » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:57 am

Anybody else see this and have concerns about Berkeley now? https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... udhry-deal

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:06 am

redrebel wrote:Anybody else see this and have concerns about Berkeley now? https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... udhry-deal
Thanks for posting. This is legitimately concerning to me. Ugh Berkeley I loved you but...

Litt1tUp

Bronze

Post by Litt1tUp » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:09 am

redrebel wrote:Anybody else see this and have concerns about Berkeley now? https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... udhry-deal
Not really - It's unfortunate that he didn't get any worse punishment, but I'm sure glad he is leaving and if the rumors is true about Berkeley getting Chemerinsky, I'd say the future is looking good.

bigyellowjoint

New

Post by bigyellowjoint » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:40 am

Not really. This is the same thing that's been going on for years now. A lot of people think it's the reason behind the drop in rankings. Seems like it might finally be coming to a close.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

msperception

New

Post by msperception » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:41 am

bigyellowjoint wrote:
Not really. This is the same thing that's been going on for years now. A lot of people think it's the reason behind the drop in rankings. Seems like it might finally be coming to a close.
I mean I care less about the rankings than the administration choosing to protect harassers.

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:48 am

msperception wrote:
bigyellowjoint wrote:
I mean I care less about the rankings than the administration choosing to protect harassers.
+1,000,000

Litt1tUp

Bronze

Post by Litt1tUp » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:51 am

chandhi wrote:
msperception wrote:
bigyellowjoint wrote:
+1,000,000
Well it's not the law school "protecting" him, it's the UC Regents.

redrebel

New

Post by redrebel » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:08 am

Litt1tUp wrote:
chandhi wrote:
msperception wrote:
bigyellowjoint wrote:
+1,000,000
Does the distinction really matter considering how the UC system works?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Litt1tUp

Bronze

Post by Litt1tUp » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:17 am

redrebel wrote:
Litt1tUp wrote:
chandhi wrote:
msperception wrote:
bigyellowjoint wrote:
+1,000,000
Does the distinction really matter considering how the UC system works?
The distinction matters if you're going to say the law school administration is protecting him where in this action it's the UC Regents, which is a different entity.

The guy is an asshole - probably will see him at least once in the building next year, and most likely will try my best not to confront him.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:26 am

I keep getting emailed by Berkeley and Berkeley alums. Like come on, I asked for reconsideration from my $0 offer 2 weeks ago and I'm above medians and haven't heard back. Why would I even consider going anymore?

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:43 am

Officially withdrew. My cycle is over.

rwajo12

New

Post by rwajo12 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:03 pm

lilikoillama wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:
chandhi wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:
chandhi wrote:
IT IS TIME. We can hear back any day now. Anyone want to engage in speculation re: timing of our decisions? I feel like there will be a decent-sized wave of acceptances in the next week or two, then hopefully acceptances trickling in after, then all remaining held apps waitlisted at the end of May.
Mmmmmm based on Berkeley's previous issues with meeting their original deadlines, I'm gonna say we're not gonna hear anything until like mid-May. I HOPE I'm wrong, but they've been late on like every deadline they've set for themselves this app season. :cry:
I would agree but it also seems like they've been prompt and generous with scholarship renegs... so maybe low yield so far? They could be desperate to get people in the door, and they have to know deposit deadlines are approaching quickly. If you're right about deadlines, though, we're going to hear mid-June haha. I stalked past cycles on LSN and got super bitter when I saw the final decision dates of previous years.

Thanks for anxiously speculating with me lol.
Ah I didn't even think about the scholly renegs, possible desperation! that is very true haha okay maybe there is a chance that we can hear back soon-ish, especially if people keep withdrawing.
omg do I even want to ask what previous years final decision dates were :shock: what were they?

and of course! We gotta stick through this together or we'll go mad hahah
I also have a feeling we're gonna truly hear back around June 1st. But then again, apps are apparently low across the board everywhere, so fingers crossed!!!
Did you guys send LOCIs? / Did any other held people send LOCIs? Even though they said in that initial email they didn't need anything else from us, I'm tempted just as a "don't forget about me, I still want you!".
I didn't send a LoCI, since hold means they haven't even made a decision yet technically, but I send an email reaffirming my interest in the school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lilikoillama

New

Post by lilikoillama » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:10 pm

chandhi wrote:Officially withdrew. My cycle is over.
:cry: :cry: :cry: Bye chandhi, it was nice suffering through this hold wait with you! Good luck wherever you're headed in the fall!

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:12 pm

lilikoillama wrote:
:cry: :cry: :cry: Bye chandhi, it was nice suffering through this hold wait with you! Good luck wherever you're headed in the fall!
Headed to Ann Arbor! Best of luck to you as well.

charles117

Bronze

Post by charles117 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:46 am

D:

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:55 am

charles117 wrote:
D:
(:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

4'sup

New

Post by 4'sup » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:50 pm

Was only offered $60,000 and my deadline to accept this is tomorrow. I'm trying to negotiate with a $150,000 scholly from Michigan. I've sent emails to the "matching@berkeleylaw.edu" email and the more specific "ktalverez@berkeleylaw.edu" but I've heard nothing at all. Did those of you who got increased scholarships after renegotiations use these emails too? Should I just send one to the generic financial aid email?

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:59 pm

4'sup wrote:Was only offered $60,000 and my deadline to accept this is tomorrow. I'm trying to negotiate with a $150,000 scholly from Michigan. I've sent emails to the "matching@berkeleylaw.edu" email and the more specific "ktalverez@berkeleylaw.edu" but I've heard nothing at all. Did those of you who got increased scholarships after renegotiations use these emails too? Should I just send one to the generic financial aid email?
There's a typo in the ktalvarez email address, I would double check and make sure you sent it to the right address. Her email is ktalvarez@law.berkeley.edu

Edit: you also have the matching email wrong, it's matching@law.berkeley.edu

kaptainkeepa

Bronze

Post by kaptainkeepa » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:51 pm

NotAGolfer wrote:
4'sup wrote:Was only offered $60,000 and my deadline to accept this is tomorrow. I'm trying to negotiate with a $150,000 scholly from Michigan. I've sent emails to the "matching@berkeleylaw.edu" email and the more specific "ktalverez@berkeleylaw.edu" but I've heard nothing at all. Did those of you who got increased scholarships after renegotiations use these emails too? Should I just send one to the generic financial aid email?
There's a typo in the ktalvarez email address, I would double check and make sure you sent it to the right address. Her email is ktalvarez@law.berkeley.edu

Dude that sucks really bad XD. But if you want to be an attorney, you have to be very detail-oriented so..

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:02 pm

kaptainkeepa wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:

Dude that sucks really bad XD. But if you want to be an attorney, you have to be very detail-oriented so..
I spelled both right, and besides auto emails, I've been ghosted by the financial aid people for 2 weeks. Plus some alumni wanting to talk have been emailing me but I'm over it. I'm depositing elsewhere today

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

spursforever

New

Post by spursforever » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:21 pm

Last edited by spursforever on Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

4'sup

New

Post by 4'sup » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:32 pm

kaptainkeepa wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:

I didn't send emails to those addresses. I couldn't remember what they were from memory so I just got as close to what I could remember. Spare me the snark.

4'sup

New

Post by 4'sup » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:39 pm

spursforever wrote:
I didn't get my offer until the day of my other deposit date, hours after I sent a follow up email to ktalvarez. So I'd just be prepared to wait until the very last minute!

Thanks for the response! I guess we'll see...crossing my fingers!

rizzlebizness

Bronze

Post by rizzlebizness » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:41 pm

Received a response from Berkeley yesterday re: my financial aid reconsideration request. While the amount offered was less than the offer for the other school I am considering, it is right in line with it from a 3-year COA perspective. Also, the response was taking some time until I sent a follow up email to Kristin Alvarez. I heard back a couple of days after sending the follow-up email.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”